Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Potential BFF posted:

In lighter, less disgusting STO news the best Lukari ship design won.

Only one triangle? That's seriously low-poly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

In lighter, less disgusting STO news the best Lukari ship design won.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I am shocked that the symmetrical triangle of autism won the ship contest.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Potential BFF posted:

I like it because it looks like it is inspired by the Phoenix Lights / The X-Files UFOs.

I guess a bunch of folks really wanted the boomerang ship but gently caress that, accept no substitutes or half-assed imitations

it was a question of national pride :australia:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

I am shocked that the symmetrical triangle of autism won the ship contest.

It is lovely and symmetric. *traces triangle with finger*

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
The only boomerang ships I accept must be asymmetrical. :colbert:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
On today's sto forum spotlight we have marcusdkane addressing the really important issue of how to make elisa flores look a bit prettier.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aleth posted:

On today's sto forum spotlight we have marcusdkane addressing the really important issue of how to make elisa flores look a bit prettier.

"Prettier". Looks more like one of the old default heads. It was probably just an justify to self excuse exercise to max out the chest slider while trying to convince themselves it was for a higher cause or some poo poo.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Aleth posted:

Pretty sure my Tovan is prettier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcG-z_pDjBE

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 3, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'll see you and raise you a very pretty indeed reman borg.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mrs tovan khev begs to differ

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I finally deleted this bad-dumb game.

Because I was tired of it crashing.

It's reinstalling now. :(

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Aleth posted:

did they take phone pictures of their pc monitor

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tryhard PSA: If you've got a Romulan Imperial Navy kit that you haven't upgraded yet, you can save a bunch of spacebux by doing Uneasy Allies again, the kit is awarded at epic Mk 12 now.

bij fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 3, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A Gorn without the TOS bugeyes is a shameful Gorn.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Spec ops shields protect their gorneas.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Nothing could protect Child Gornography, sadly.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

McSpanky posted:

I was pretty upset when they all of a sudden deleted my TOS gorn one day.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Potential BFF posted:

Tryhard PSA: If you've got a Romulan Imperial Navy kit that you haven't upgraded yet, you can save a bunch of spacebux by doing Uneasy Allies again, the kit is awarded at epic Mk 12 now.

The navy kits I already had in my inventory weren't upgraded automatically, so you can probably save a bit of dil and ec by just re-running the mission if you'e planning on using it.

Berke Negri posted:

did they take phone pictures of their pc monitor
Yup, while having their graphics settings turned all the way down.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

fakemirage posted:

The navy kits I already had in my inventory weren't upgraded automatically, so you can probably save a bit of dil and ec by just re-running the mission if you'e planning on using it.

To further elaborate, the reward kit apparently spawns with random mods aside from the default epic mod of [KP/WPN] so there is potential for some nice kits.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What kit mods are good?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Kit performance, weapon damage, personal shield generator, HP, & PSG, all of these are good. Kit performance especially makes a noticeable difference for the damage on kit powers. An epic Mk 14 Romulan Navy kit will give you 150 points worth of stats on top of the plasma damage and crit bonus.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Potential BFF posted:

To further elaborate, the reward kit apparently spawns with random mods aside from the default epic mod of [KP/WPN] so there is potential for some nice kits.
Oh nice, I didn't even notice that. Too bad it's such a long mission.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

What kit mods are good?

I don't know what's best but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out:

(Obviously the weapons I pair this with are the Boolian cannon and a kelvin klingon compression pistol)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I don't know what's best but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out:

(Obviously the weapons I pair this with are the Boolian cannon and a kelvin klingon compression pistol)

gently caress YOU MALIFICARR YOU oval office

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kit performance is your ideal stat since that's where your dps comes from but ground meta is kind of weird because as long as your party is half-competent you can roll over anything worth doing. Since Cryptic nerfed exp/loot from ground missions there's not too much of a reason to really push what you're capable of, so really min/maxing ground usually ends up being a factor of making sure you can carry even the worst team.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The one kit stat you really don't want is anything that boosts your shields. Really. Because all you need is a vaduwar shield drone module off the exchange and you're functionally invincible unless the drone dies.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Any content that is actually "tough" ground wise shields are basically a mild damage mitigation buffer anyways. Like for story stuff, have one of your engi buff boffs be your dedicated shield dude topping everyone off that's fine, but for STFs shields are the first thing to go. Part of this is it is a lot easier to buff up your health/resistances than it is your shields, and science officers have a lot more tools to keep people alive than an engineer does when it comes to shields. Vaudwar drone is a good self-heal though, as is the intel ability to shield steal because that even works on non-shielded enemies so its basically a free shield heal unless they fixed that in the past six months (ha)

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Really all you need is enough shield/health to make whatever instance you're playing unwinnable.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have an epic herald AP kit with kit performance x2 and weapon x1 plus the epic modifier.

Perfect roll?

eta:

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 5, 2016

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Kilazar posted:

So I played on PC for a month when the game first came out. Liked the space ship stuff, hated ground... ended up quiting, not really sure why.

Here I am today, just found out that I can play this on my bone from the couch, and I am finding it a way more enjoyable experience. Ground stuff is still tedious (I don't mind the combat, it's the stupid fetch and memorize 20 facts to turn on a console bs that I dislike). The space is awesome, I'm really surprised how well this adapted to the controller. And up till now I have been able to decipher most of the ambiguity of the UI. However I just got my first cruiser (been flying science vessels till I hit commander), and I am a bit confused on the cruiser commands.

Research tells me they are aura's that can be toggled on or off. However other than a pulse each time I press the ability, there is no discernible way to tell if the aura is on that I am noticing. Do I have to turn on the aura each time I enter a new system? Or once on does it stay on even through transitions to sector space or warping to other systems from within a mission?

Second question. Might there be a bone goon fleet going? Be nice to have some company once in a while. I'm not playing this hardcore or anything.

Third question - Space combat - Do I have to lock on to start shooting when there are multiple enemies in weapon range? I find that during multi ship combat, pointing my "reticle" at the thing I want to shoot, and pressing Rtrigger sometimes(most the time) does nothing. I am finding I have to do the Rstick click to lock to the target then I can fire. If that is the case wtf is the point of the reticle. In free mode it goes red over a valid target, so I figured I could just press R to start shooting that target, conversely when I am already shooting a target, unless I lock with the r stick on a new target I can't switch targets. This is really annoying as I find the Rstick targeting is really buggy, the left right target cycle is really buggy.

I play on PS4, I'm probably the only other person in the thread who plays on a console, and I'm not too knowledgeable about the game but here's what I (I think) I know.

The cruiser Command abilities, I haven't found a way to make sure it's active or not but I believe the one you use stays active on you until you either load into a new map area or you die (so generally use it whenever you see a loading screen).

I've no idea about xbox but there isn't a fleet on PS4 either. I don't really know much about fleets to be honest, should I just join some random pubby fleet?

Space combat, as far as I can tell hitting the RTrigger will make your ship start autofiring at the closest ship in range of weapons (I haven't noticed anything like it going for weakest or strongest targets first), if you want to make it shoot a specific target point at it with the reticule and click in the Right Stick to lock that target then stop firing. If you want to stop shooting a target for whatever reason (very occasionally a mission wants this) click in the Right Stick while pointing at empty space and it will stop your weapons firing.

The snapping to new targets with the RStick is pretty bad and I don't use that much myself, I typically just lock a new target and then go back to freecam while fighting.

Lastly I signed up for the wiki a week or two ago but I haven't been accepted/received permission yet, is it possible for someone to do so please? Unless as a filthy console peasant I am not allowed. I signed up on the wiki as RoboJoe.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Oh yeah, time for another LTS sale so you can play as a Talaxian!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aleth posted:

Oh yeah, time for another LTS sale so you can play as a Talaxian!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
we got a shout out on the sto forums

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1224592/why-doesnt-sto-celebrate-christmas/p1

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

When petty cowardly hatred for all the good works of Shutup Wesley/Dental reach that degree by that kind of person, you know we're on the right side.

Every hatred post by a throwaway account is just more validation.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
Wasn't there a post like this last year as well?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aleth posted:

So 5th November there'll be a PWE livestream for Extra Life. You can donate and unlock stuff including the EMH boff if you're desperate enough to do $15+.

Or if you do the $25 level you get a title that shows everyone how charitable Dental is.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
What's really funny about all the posts about the hidden significance of various logos and style elements is that they're not even hitting half of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

What's really funny about all the posts about the hidden significance of various logos and style elements is that they're not even hitting half of them.

Right?

At this point NK is basically a never ending stream of meme material (which I swear most of them still manage to miss) but imagine how confused they'd be if we used some Lukashenko/Belarus imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DancingShade posted:

When petty cowardly hatred for all the good works of Shutup Wesley/Dental reach that degree by that kind of person, you know we're on the right side.

Every hatred post by a throwaway account is just more validation.

I'm not sure if that is a throwaway Acc or somone with severe and genuine autism.

He's made many bizarre threads that contain vast amounts of careful research.

I've spent enough time in sto to realize "clever and effective, consistent trolling" and "profoundly autistic" aren't mutually exclusive, and can indeed be impossible to differentiate.

• Locked thread