Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ded posted:

If I ever drove in china I would have to have a total beater car because god drat I would bumper car the gently caress out of idiots like that.

You could do that, and literally never get caught because. . . Chinese police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Pon de Bundy posted:

if china sucks so bad and can't do anything right and the people smell and are gross and smoke all day why do you live there

I'm gonna assume you're asking in good faith and will reply accordingly. I was more than a little naive before coming to China, I thought it was a country that despite it's problems, was going the right way. I also wanted to learn a non-European language, and to experience a part of the world which was quite, well, foreign to me. Why haven't I moved out yet? I'm waiting for my wife's paperwork to clear, as well as my contract to end, then I'll be out of China so fast your head will spin, that's about 8 months from now.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

oohhboy posted:

Ehh? That has to be BS or the decimal is in the wrong place as you would have to smuggle 1 ton of meat to "Save" 2 dollars and the costs of collecting that tax would far outweigh the income.

But then this is China BS, there really could be some dude smuggling a ton of meat for 2 extra dollars.

Uhh dude, it was container ships full of meat, of course it is worth doing!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pon de Bundy posted:

if china sucks so bad and can't do anything right and the people smell and are gross and smoke all day why do you live there

First worlders cannot resist the intrensic need to exploit countries poorer than their own for their benifit while lambasting them for the very problems their explotation caused in the first place. Most of them lack any self awareness whatsoever.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Oh good you're back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is one of the nice things about not living in Seoul. Almost never encountered this kind of poo poo where I was.

Haier posted:

I had very little interest to go to Korea (not sure why, I guess no why), and now I have even less interest. Thank you both, LOL.

You should go. You won't encounter the bad stuff on a couple weeks of vacation, and there's a lot of great food and beautiful nature and stuff. Traditional Korean culture is largely copied from Tang/Sui China so it's kind of like visiting a non-Maoed China where you can read things because there's an alphabet and half the vocabulary is English loanwords nowadays.

Blistex posted:

Also, I'm going stick my neck out and say that Korea might have perfected BBQ chicken, like "it's peak BBQ chicken" and can't be improved upon.

Korean has perfected fried chicken, yes. Usually Korea fucks up when they take foreign food and mess with it but what they did to fried chicken is beyond magical.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

First worlders cannot resist the intrensic need to exploit countries poorer than their own for their benifit while lambasting them for the very problems their explotation caused in the first place. Most of them lack any self awareness whatsoever.

yessssssssssss welcome back man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I feel this is somehow a poignant commentary on your shitposting.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I agree, those chinese street making GBS threads on vacation have no self awareness whatsoever.

The only reason other countries arent known for it surely has to do with the great wealth of china

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

This is one of the nice things about not living in Seoul. Almost never encountered this kind of poo poo where I was.

That's because there aren't enough foreigners to necessitate signs

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean has perfected fried chicken, yes. Usually Korea fucks up when they take foreign food and mess with it but what they did to fried chicken is beyond magical.

a lot of people say this, and I for real don't get it. it's ok, doesn't make me gag, but it's not a super special anything. y'all must have some lovely fried chicken in your hometowns

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

[quote="Grand Fromage" post="466067345"]

I don't know why I keep calling it BBQ chicken. I think I just associate "sauce" with BBQ.

So how many different friend chicken fridge magnet business cards did you have? I think at the end of the year I had about 40 since it was my "once a week vice".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
ladron honest question, why did you live there for 10 years if you seem to so viscerally hate literally everything about the place.

Blistex posted:

You could do that, and literally never get caught because. . . Chinese police.

does that not change when the criminal is a foreigner? i'd have thought if anything is gonna galvanize them into action, it'd be that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharnifex posted:

Uhh dude, it was container ships full of meat, of course it is worth doing!

The "Average" Container ship is 25,000 tonnes so you save 50,000 if it was literally a meat ship. Of course that doesn't take into account of the container weight and associated refrigeration. Then there would be the bribes/fines/jail. @ $5/Kg the shipment would be worth upwards of $125M(!) so you would be risking that deal and future ones for $50,000 or less.

Gotta squeeze every drop of blood I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

That's because there aren't enough foreigners to necessitate signs

I think a lot of hate is specifically for military, and there weren't any bases anywhere near me. If you saw a honkey in my town it was either a teacher or an engineer.

ladron posted:

a lot of people say this, and I for real don't get it. it's ok, doesn't make me gag, but it's not a super special anything. y'all must have some lovely fried chicken in your hometowns

I forgive your lack of character. American fried chicken is also good, but there's different focus. The breading is a huge deal with the American style. Korean is more focused on the skin, and I have never figured out what kind of black magic they do to have a piece of chicken coated in sauce but still crispy.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

I think a lot of hate is specifically for military, and there weren't any bases anywhere near me. If you saw a honkey in my town it was either a teacher or an engineer.

I forgive your lack of character. American fried chicken is also good, but there's different focus. The breading is a huge deal with the American style. Korean is more focused on the skin, and I have never figured out what kind of black magic they do to have a piece of chicken coated in sauce but still crispy.

They mix regular and rice flower im pretty sure. Or maybe it was flower and cornstarch. It's one of those. The GWS chinese food thread discussed it a bit i think.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

They deep fry it first, then cook it on a pan with the sauce. Here's the one I used and it was loving amazinggggg.

They mix regular and rice flower im pretty sure. Or maybe it was flower and cornstarch. It's one of those. The GWS chinese food thread discussed it a bit i think.
Mine uses potato/corn (I prefer corn) and its pretty drat good

also welcome back baby

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also something about double frying them and draining fat from under the skin, it's pretty involved.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Koramei posted:

ladron honest question, why did you live there for 10 years if you seem to so viscerally hate literally everything about the place.

honestly, a lot of it was a sunk cost fallacy...I had basically given up everything, a house, a couple cars, motorcycle, girlfriend, etc. to move there and do research for my masters. Unfortunately, I moved there during a peak "hate all foreigners" phase. I was like "well, I'm here, so I might as well tough it out..." Finished my masters, and I was like "ok, I'll work one more year, build up some cash, then split." By the time the year was up, I had convinced myself that I should do my phd if I wanted to have one by the time I was 40. I got swept up in this multiculturalism project* (my phd is in multicultural education), did a bunch of research, and the project eventually went nowhere, so I finished my phd and got out.

* to be allowed to work on this project, I had to prove I was not of korean ancestry, and they wanted my parents birth certificates, grade school academic records, etc. I am an orphan, so no parents' anything, and I am blonde with blue eyes. It was almost at the point where I had to take a dna test to prove I did not have a drop of glorious han blood.

Another story - when I first arrived, I met this dude named Mike, who had been in korea like 25 years at that point. If any of you watched korean tv at all, you know this guy. Fluent korean, wore a hanbok, and super orca fat. Every time I hung out with him, he would just bitch constantly about koreans and korea and I would always wonder about that...after my first year, I totally understood. Living there is like being the guy who collects golf balls at a driving range, with people trying to hit you and calling you names all the time, but you're being paid really well...

I was talking to some random chick, and I told her I got out of korea after 10 years, and she was like, "Everybody says that, they 'got out' of korea. No one ever says, "I left" or any other synonyms. It's always "getting out", like prison..."

EDIT - thinking for a few minutes, I guess it's like a married couple that despises each other but stay together "for the children" if that makes sense...

ladron fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 4, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They deep fry it first, then cook it on a pan with the sauce. Here's the one I used and it was loving amazinggggg.
Mine uses potato/corn (I prefer corn) and its pretty drat good

also welcome back baby

Can't go wrong with maangchi. She rules.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

nah bitch its just inertia im too lazy to go home

laffo at the idea of heading back to california without a job lined up and trying to hunt for one while securing an apartment/car/insurance/license that expired/transferring my chinese wealth 1 nugget at a time into a bank

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Ssamjang sauce is real good and I wouldn't be surprised if it blew up in popularity like sriracha at some point. Gochujang is also real good. Korean food in general is pretty tasty.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 4, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Khorne posted:

Ssamjang sauce is real good and I wouldn't be surprised if it blew up like sriracha did at some point.

this would be great, not only because it's awesome, but because koreans would then never shut the gently caress up about it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Typically they use potato starch, flour, sweet rice flour, baking soda and egg to get the batter that way, and double-frying to get that crispiness.

Edit: ok, that's been answered.

Khorne posted:

Ssamjang sauce is real good and I wouldn't be surprised if it blew up in popularity like sriracha at some point. Gochujang is also real good. Korean food in general is pretty tasty.

YES! My wife and I love dipping hot peppers in it. It's overall a really good dip. We have 3kg of ssamjang sauce in our house, 5 of Gochujang paste, and 2 1kg bags of pepper flakes.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 4, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korean food is real good. There's just not a ton of variety so when you live there it gets old. Fortunately there are a more options now, when I first moved there you didn't have a lot of alternate choices. I also just started seeing chefs challenging the status quo and trying to make Korean food better around the time I left, which bodes well for the future. There was a chain in Seoul that made classic Korean dishes but really high quality, lot of attention paid to the ingredients and technique, and it was fantastic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also on the complaining, a lot of that is an artifact of being on the internet and trying to post things that are entertaining. If I post I had a nice day, my job was okay, I graded a good essay a student wrote about the difficulties of publishing history in China, my lunch was awesome and then I chilled out playing Civ 6, that's the majority of the time but also a boring post nobody gives a gently caress about. A dump truck blowing through a red light and pulling a turn so hard it flips over because the driver doesn't understand physics exists is much more entertaining.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what is the Asian supremacy hierarchy? Japan number 1 ?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean food is real good.

I will admit, I physically miss the 육개장 at this one restaurant.
I also recently paid the equivalent of 6000 won for a 500 gram package of kimchi.
I am not proud. I am not ashamed about it, but also not real proud....

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

If I post I had a nice day, my job was okay, I graded a good essay a student wrote about the difficulties of publishing history in China, my lunch was awesome and then I chilled out playing Civ 6.

Sounds like you need to post this in the LAN thread, we can swap feelgood lunch stories

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pon de Bundy posted:

evil japan??? No way, Korea #1. So peaceful, so kind.
독도 우리 땅!!!!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

YES! My wife and I love dipping hot peppers in it. It's overall a really good dip. We have 3kg of ssamjang sauce in our house, 5 of Gochujang paste, and 2 1kg bags of pepper flakes.

I guess you're ready to have burning assholes for years after the apocalypse then

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pon de Bundy posted:

https://youtu.be/xN0vUlljX0I

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

I guess you're ready to have burning assholes for years after the apocalypse then

The nearest Korean grocery store is a 6 hour drive for us. :(

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

The nearest Korean grocery store is a 6 hour drive for us. :(

Isn't everything in Canadia like 6 hours away from everything else tho?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ladron posted:

Isn't everything in Canadia like 6 hours away from everything else tho?

Only if you're a filthy rural.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Only if you're a filthy rural.

Even worse! Filthy rural island-dweller. <all remaining face has been lost>

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Also on the complaining, a lot of that is an artifact of being on the internet and trying to post things that are entertaining. If I post I had a nice day, my job was okay, I graded a good essay a student wrote about the difficulties of publishing history in China, my lunch was awesome and then I chilled out playing Civ 6, that's the majority of the time but also a boring post nobody gives a gently caress about. A dump truck blowing through a red light and pulling a turn so hard it flips over because the driver doesn't understand physics exists is much more entertaining.

That would be a A+ post in the weed thread and everyone would give you props for keeping it chill.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pon de Bundy posted:

whatever my flavor of asian is #1. Japan is begrudgingly #2 due to their actual accomplishments
Then corea #3, and then whatever neighboring country that is used for cheap labor is the worst.

For thailand myanmar is the worst even though they have really similar cultures and are genetically identical

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

oohhboy posted:

The "Average" Container ship is 25,000 tonnes so you save 50,000 if it was literally a meat ship. Of course that doesn't take into account of the container weight and associated refrigeration. Then there would be the bribes/fines/jail. @ $5/Kg the shipment would be worth upwards of $125M(!) so you would be risking that deal and future ones for $50,000 or less.

Gotta squeeze every drop of blood I guess.

Yeap, of course I made up the figure, but it was something insanely small and the point you have above is what was so 'shocking' about it, they smuggled meat risking fines and rep to save a minuscule amount of cash.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

whatever my flavor of asian is #1. Japan is begrudgingly #2 due to their actual accomplishments
Then corea #3, and then whatever neighboring country that is used for cheap labor is the worst.

For thailand myanmar is the worst even though they have really similar cultures and are genetically identical

i always see phillipines on bottom!

always!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pon de Bundy posted:

i always see phillipines on bottom!

always!

They are just jealous of their non asian names

• Locked thread