Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Realpost, though unrelated to Bill Leak - why is the re(?)instation of the ABCC a bad thing? I assume there was one before - was it floated as an impartial governance/watchdog body but was infact blatantly partisan?

Isn't sector oversight important? When the question came up on the pre-election vote compass it sounded like a good idea to me; then I saw which parties agreed with it and felt a bit dirty.

Please excuse my crippling naivete/ignorance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It had the kind of coercive powers you'd expect from a secret police agency, and existed mostly to harass unions.

If the government was interested in improving conditions they'd allocate more resources to organisations that already provide oversight in the construction industry.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

buildmorefarms posted:

Realpost, though unrelated to Bill Leak - why is the re(?)instation of the ABCC a bad thing? I assume there was one before - was it floated as an impartial governance/watchdog body but was infact blatantly partisan?

Isn't sector oversight important? When the question came up on the pre-election vote compass it sounded like a good idea to me; then I saw which parties agreed with it and felt a bit dirty.

Organisations to investigate corruption are generally a good thing.

However consider that it is an authority with secret police level powers targetted solely at unions and the agenda becomes clear.

Also last time round IIRC the statistics actually showed workplaces getting more unsafe while it was active.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

buildmorefarms posted:

There was a spike in workplace injury and fatality last time it was around because it exists solely to restrict unions from carrying out their jobs

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, the ABCC's coercive powers were crazy powerful and they could exercise it without oversight. They could compel people to attend hearings, removed the right to silence and could gag people from even saying whether they had been questioned.

It also all but removed the right to entry as uninion officials had to have a permit and give 24 hours notice to enter a workplace.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Please don't tell me that fat yellow blob in the recent Leak cartoons is meant to be Penny Wong.

It's so loving ugly.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think it's meant to be Tim Soutphommasane.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Most of his pre-head injury work was before my time, but has Bill always shaded his cartoons with that loving black crayon poo poo? His portraits might as well be by a completely different artist, whoever painted them had a grasp of colour and how to draw people. Meanwhile, the only way to know that the woman in his recent cartoons is Gillian Triggs is to know about his ongoing beef with the HRC, and if he was trying to make her look outraged rather than like someone walked in on her on the toilet then he's failed miserably. I have no idea why the Australian keeps him around, surely there are plenty of racists in this country that can at least draw a convincing caricature.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ten Becquerels posted:

I have no idea why the Australian keeps him around, surely there are plenty of racists in this country that can at least draw a convincing caricature.
To sack him would be to admit error though, wouldn't it?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
queensland in 'does the right thing' shock, finally stops putting 17 year olds in adult prison

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ABS cuts 150 jobs. :v:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ah! So they found the people who hosed up the census then.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

open24hours posted:

It had the kind of coercive powers you'd expect from a secret police agency, and existed mostly to harass unions.

If the government was interested in improving conditions they'd allocate more resources to organisations that already provide oversight in the construction industry.

Doesn't the fact that the initial royal commission in 2001 found 26 breaches of criminal law, and now the current royal commission has resulted in people being charged with blackmail and the CFMEU having to pay a $9 million settlement to a company they black banned suggest that there are issues with union power in this country. Consider that the ABCC was supported by Master Builders Australia, it was only the unions that wanted to get rid of it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Corruption in unions should be addressed. I'm not convinced the reintroduction of the ABCC is the best, or even a good, way to go about it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Corruption in unions should be addressed. I'm not convinced the reintroduction of the ABCC is the best, or even a good, way to go about it.

It's almost like there should be some kind of Federal Independent Commission Against Corruption, an ICAC if you will.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

The Liberals have already done their Royal Commission schtick on the Unions during their first term.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To sack him would be to admit error though, wouldn't it?

True, although at some point people are going to get bored of the poo poo-flinging monkey business and all the opinion pieces on how the poo poo is actually manna from heaven. I hope.

(probably not)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why would they even want to sack him? He's doing an excellent job of keeping the tyranny of 18c in the news.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Salted_Pork posted:

Doesn't the fact that the initial royal commission in 2001 found 26 breaches of criminal law, and now the current royal commission has resulted in people being charged with blackmail and the CFMEU having to pay a $9 million settlement to a company they black banned suggest that there are issues with union power in this country. Consider that the ABCC was supported by Master Builders Australia, it was only the unions that wanted to get rid of it.

You'll find a lot of workers weren't keen on it either. Those same commissions also suggested there's issues on the employer side too? Why weren't the ABCC's own findings into sham contracting and wage issues addressed by the legislators?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/04/malcolm-turnbull-gives-his-two-cents-worth-on-future-of-five-cent-coin

It’s a little coin with not much of a future, apparently. Even Malcolm Turnbull thinks the idea of ditching the five-cent coin raises a “fair point”.

The prime minister was asked about the relevance of the smallest change during his visit to Tasmania on Friday.

The issue is expected to come up at the Liberal state council over the weekend.

“It’s a good question. I’ll be very interested to follow the local debate on that,” he told Launceston’s LAFM. “You don’t see them a lot any more, do you actually? It’s a fair point.”

Turnbull was more open to the five-cent debate than his treasurer, who declined to answer a question on the topic when asked the day after the May budget.

“If you can get as many people as in this room again who are interested in that topic, I’ll answer your question,” Scott Morrison told News Corp’s Malcolm Farr in his traditional National Press Club address.

It now costs the Australian mint more than five cents to make the coin.

In February, the then assistant minister to the treasurer Alex Hawke said Australia was getting close to the point where it didn’t have a lot of use for the coin, which is not accepted in many vending or ticketing machines.

I hope they shrink the 50c coin too.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Nibbles! posted:

You'll find a lot of workers weren't keen on it either. Those same commissions also suggested there's issues on the employer side too? Why weren't the ABCC's own findings into sham contracting and wage issues addressed by the legislators?

I think, "Fair Work Amendment (Protecting Australian Workers) Bill 2016" addresses some of the recommendations from the ABCC about sham contracting. A lot of workers wouldn't be keen on the ABCC because the CFMEU has 400,000 members that like money and job security.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Ah! So they found the people who hosed up the census then.

"Round up the usual suspects" and managerial darwinism wins again.

open24hours posted:

I hope they shrink the 50c coin too.

Small change is only for poors.

The ABCC thing isn't even about its stated purpose. It's about getting to have it at all. Then it'll be about juicy headlines to blot out any other debate. Then it'll be about Stern Measures and finally On Construction Site Matters. Then it'll get buried in time for the next electoahahahah no I can't keep the farce going.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Salted_Pork posted:

Consider that the ABCC was supported by Master Builders Australia, it was only the unions that wanted to get rid of it.

an employer peak body being anti-union? are you sure? that sounds very farfetched 🤔

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Welp another nail in the coffin of manufacturing in Australia (or maybe another shovel of dirt on top of the half-buried coffin is more apt) with GSK announcing that over the next 4 years they will close their Sydney factory where Panadol has been made for 60 years.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aejix posted:

Welp another nail in the coffin of manufacturing in Australia (or maybe another shovel of dirt on top of the half-buried coffin is more apt) with GSK announcing that over the next 4 years they will close their Sydney factory where Panadol has been made for 60 years.

I heard they were going to close their Boronia, Victoria factory, but after doing a quick bit of offshoring and found the results to be a bit poo poo, they kept the place open.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
joooooooobs and groooooooowth *rattles chains*

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

I heard they were going to close their Boronia, Victoria factory, but after doing a quick bit of offshoring and found the results to be a bit poo poo, they kept the place open.

I believe Boronia is a pharma factory (I.e. more patented products, bigger margins etc) as opposed to ermington which only does products that have generic competitors. As soon as the cost of offshoring the lot to SE Asia outweighed the loss of sales from no longer having "made in Australia" on the Panadol box they were going to pull the plug. Would not want to be in the shoes of the factory workers in there because gooooood loving luck finding more work in Australia.

Boronia will go too once the facility starts falling apart and they need major plant/machinery refurbs or replacements. Who knows when that would be though

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

G-Spot Run posted:

joooooooobs and groooooooowth *rattles chains*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder how Turnbull will win the next election if there's a small army of disgruntled manufacturing workers causing poo poo and flipping tables?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They will blame layba waste and relaxed immigration and win in a landslide

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Union blaming would be a solid angle for them too.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

aejix posted:

Why is it so drat expensive to manufacture in Australia, is it purely because we insist on paying our workers a living wage, or is there more to it?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zenithe posted:

Union blaming would be a solid angle for them too.

Union blaming is a fairy standard LNP angle to take.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

by the end of this term there won't be anyone working in manufacturing, problem solved

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because the sun is setting on the British Empire and they can make their drugs elsewhere and pay 10c an hour.

Protectionism and Nationalisation is probably the only saviour of manufacturing in Australia. It won't happen though. They'll sell off Auspost to Telstra and give Qantas to Woolworths.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Salted_Pork posted:

Why is it so drat expensive to manufacture in Australia, is it purely because we insist on paying our workers a living wage, or is there more to it?

pesky things like safety and paying taxes

you can run a business at a profit but the profit isn't big enough and some of it goes to poor people so gently caress that

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

~It's Wy-att's
Big adventuuuuure~

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That beard would have done Wyatt so much good while in parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

thatbastardken posted:

pesky things like safety and paying taxes

you can run a business at a profit but the profit isn't big enough and some of it goes to poor people so gently caress that

This.

While possible here you can make moolah by having it done elsewhere and since that is ultimately the point of business that's exactly what happens.

Common good doesn't enter into the equation because accounting doesn't have a code for that on the transaction sheet.

Also when your main objective is literally just theft and misuse of taxpayer money through graft, corruption, bribes, kickbacks and nepotism (hi Brandis) then you really don't give a poo poo about who gets hurt or the long term damages. So long as you do ok personally anyway.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread