Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Peter Molyneux has a new game out called The Trail, which seems to be an adventure game revolving around leisurely traveling between camps and collecting and crafting things along the way.

edit I gave it a go. It's a literal walking simulator; you move along a trail looking at the environment for objects to collect and craft to make things to sell or to upgrade your character. You can control how fast you walk, and if you walk too fast you use up stamina which can run out resulting in your character collapsing (whom I assume you later revive through a timer or gems, also other players can steal poo poo from you). The framerate was also pretty crappy on my S7 Edge. Still, I kind of like the overall idea they were going for but it didn't really hold my interest for too long (the endgame is to reach a town but I was still a long, long way off).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I assume in the press release he said that this is the crowning achievement of gaming and will be looked upon generations from now as bringing about world peace and ending global warming and finally unifying the planet as a whole?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does it read my local weather and ajust my story based on my twitter feed?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tunga posted:

I like it but the ball physics is really weird when it rolls onto the flippers, it kind of slows down like the flippers are sticky which always throws me off.

A couple of goons have said things like this, and I don't really agree with the criticism. The game is clearly not a straight pinball simulation, and with this in mind I find it a bit silly that people are kind-of saying that the game's physics should conform to their preconceived notions about how pinball physics should work. Almost the entire point of the game is to make wicked-cool flipper shots with precise aim, and the developers (wisely, IMO) helped the player focus on this, the fun part of the game, by giving the simulated environment certain physical properties.

If people are just venting about how it takes a few games to get used to it, yeah, I had the same experience. But once you play a couple of rounds, you will figure it out. I'm bad at video games, and I beat the game after just a few days, doing a few runs each day. For anyone who is struggling, so far I have noticed two basic things that will get you far. One is that there are sections of the board that will slow your ball down. These are indicated by three little hash-marks:

These are usually helpful, because a slower ball gives you more time to think and aim. However, in some cases they can be an obstacle, such as when there is a set of marks that sits between your flipper and a ramp, and the slowing effect will make it so a backhand shot from that flipper will not get the ball over the apex of the ramp.

The second observation is just that flippers seem to slow the ball down, too. I don't have a complete mathematical explanation for this, but (barring future updates/expansions) I don't think anyone needs such an explanation to be good at the game. Just play a few rounds and get a feel for how it generally works. This is (again) something that usually helps you, because it makes aiming your shots more forgiving. And if you still don't like the game, go play other ones by the same company, like Does Not Commute, Smash Hit, or Granny Smith. They're all really good, polished games, with sane and fair IAP.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 2, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Uggghh, im really enjoying The Trail as it reminds me of puzzle pirates in some small way. I'm just dreading the looming pay wall, it definitely seems like it is not far off.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A couple of goons have said things like this, and I don't really agree with the criticism. The game is clearly not a straight pinball simulation, and with this in mind I find it a bit silly that people are kind-of saying that the game's physics should conform to their preconceived notions about how pinball physics should work.
It's weird because I thought I just said that the change of speed is off putting but apparently I actually wrote a diatribe about Real Pinball Physics or something?

I'm still playing the game, and I like and enjoy the game as a quick time waster, and I bought the IAP because the game is well made. I'm used to the ball physics but I still find them distracting and would prefer it to be...smoother, I guess. The three lines thing that has been mentioned a couple of times is helpful to look out for, at least.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 2, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A couple of goons have said things like this, and I don't really agree with the criticism. The game is clearly not a straight pinball simulation, and with this in mind I find it a bit silly that people are kind-of saying that the game's physics should conform to their preconceived notions about how pinball physics should work. Almost the entire point of the game is to make wicked-cool flipper shots with precise aim, and the developers (wisely, IMO) helped the player focus on this, the fun part of the game, by giving the simulated environment certain physical properties.

If people are just venting about how it takes a few games to get used to it, yeah, I had the same experience. But once you play a couple of rounds, you will figure it out. I'm bad at video games, and I beat the game after just a few days, doing a few runs each day. For anyone who is struggling, so far I have noticed two basic things that will get you far. One is that there are sections of the board that will slow your ball down. These are indicated by three little hash-marks:

These are usually helpful, because a slower ball gives you more time to think and aim. However, in some cases they can be an obstacle, such as when there is a set of marks that sits between your flipper and a ramp, and the slowing effect will make it so a backhand shot from that flipper will not get the ball over the apex of the ramp.

The second observation is just that flippers seem to slow the ball down, too. I don't have a complete mathematical explanation for this, but (barring future updates/expansions) I don't think anyone needs such an explanation to be good at the game. Just play a few rounds and get a feel for how it generally works. This is (again) something that usually helps you, because it makes aiming your shots more forgiving. And if you still don't like the game, go play other ones by the same company, like Does Not Commute, Smash Hit, or Granny Smith. They're all really good, polished games, with sane and fair IAP.

My personal issue is that I'm pretty sure there's some kind of aiming assistance running in the background. But I'm OK with it because it's actually not a pinball game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
According to random person on reddit, the Eclipse app on iPad is currently free (instead of 7 bux). How I wish it was on android too :(.

Edit:
Welp sorry, wrong thread. Meant to post in board games thread, but I guess I'll leave it here since at least some people will have iPads too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ok play a lot of irl pinball so the physics felt weird at first, but that post was pretty helpful and now I'm improving vastly.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Uggghh, im really enjoying The Trail as it reminds me of puzzle pirates in some small way. I'm just dreading the looming pay wall, it definitely seems like it is not far off.

Same here, I've still got about 7km to get to the town but it's fun so far! Totally getting the puzzle pirates vibe but can't put my finger on what it is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Does it read my local weather and ajust my story based on my twitter feed?

actually the weather part sounds like a great idea for a hiking simulator

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dancer posted:

How I wish it was on android too :(.

As an owner of the physical game whose friends don't have enough time to play this anymore; same.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
It's been a few years since the last one but there's a new Asphalt game, Asphalt Xtreme out now.

DC Legends, a hero battler with all your favorite DC comics characters is also out to take your money.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MMD3 posted:

Seems fun but it has choppy performance on my Nexus 5X. I turned the graphics slider all the way "down" and it didn't seem to help.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is DraStic the best DS emulation option, and does it justify its price? I don't want to spend 6 dollars on an emulator...

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

KoldPT posted:

Is DraStic the best DS emulation option, and does it justify its price? I don't want to spend 6 dollars on an emulator...

You bet your loving rear end it is.

No joke.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mrkillboy posted:

Peter Molyneux has a new game out called The Trail, which seems to be an adventure game revolving around leisurely traveling between camps and collecting and crafting things along the way.

edit I gave it a go. It's a literal walking simulator; you move along a trail looking at the environment for objects to collect and craft to make things to sell or to upgrade your character. You can control how fast you walk, and if you walk too fast you use up stamina which can run out resulting in your character collapsing (whom I assume you later revive through a timer or gems, also other players can steal poo poo from you). The framerate was also pretty crappy on my S7 Edge. Still, I kind of like the overall idea they were going for but it didn't really hold my interest for too long (the endgame is to reach a town but I was still a long, long way off).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am actually really enjoying The Trail. It's chill, it lets me literally pile up my physics-affected inventory in a bag full to bursting, I can put on pants on stuff things in the pockets, then trade garbage I found along the path while sipping apple juice to keep me from literally dying.

Also by all accounts it looks like you can start towns, create buildings and tools, and generally unlock more game once you get to the town proper? Not sure. But I'm close.

Some framerate problems, but they're not constant.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I really want to play The Trail, but it runs like crap on my Nexus 5X. The framerate is low in general, and the game often hitches and hiccups for a second or two, during which everything turns into a laggy slideshow. I turned down the graphics slider all the way, but it didn't seem to help.

Even though I can't really play the game without getting frustrated, it's hands down the best Pokemon Snap/Animal Crossing/Minecraft combo mashup that I've played all year.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I made it to the town last night and it looks like it puts you in a randomized instance to buy your property or whatever. Im really curious if there is any way to pick which instance you get so we can make some kind of Goonville. Also trying to see if there's a way to add friends or any kind of collaborative features that we could take advantage of.

Getting over the mountain pass without spending money was definitely a bit of a challenge but once I realized you could backtrack on the map to collect items on other locations that helped a lot.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So once I got to Eden falls I chose not to settle in the instance of the town I found and just kept going along the trail. For some reason I can't fast travel back to the town but k can travel to the stop before it so I did that and ran back into the town and got a new instance each time... Problem is the new instances I've run into so far don't have any empty property to settle on so I'm hoping if I do this again a few more times I'll end up in a town that isn't full up.

I wish they were a little more clear about how this specific thing works. Going to look for any game info on other boards, possibly for iOS since it launched there a few months ago

Edit: ended up finding a town with an opening so I'm settled in SHARK CITY. No idea yet if there's a way to group with friends or move towns, I'm sure there are thousands of instances since a town only seems to hold 10 or fewer people from what I've seen so far. Would also love to know how somebody founds a city.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MMD3 posted:

So once I got to Eden falls I chose not to settle in the instance of the town I found and just kept going along the trail. For some reason I can't fast travel back to the town but k can travel to the stop before it so I did that and ran back into the town and got a new instance each time... Problem is the new instances I've run into so far don't have any empty property to settle on so I'm hoping if I do this again a few more times I'll end up in a town that isn't full up.

I wish they were a little more clear about how this specific thing works. Going to look for any game info on other boards, possibly for iOS since it launched there a few months ago

Yeah that's annoying - the first town I showed up in was completely filled up and I was just like "Uh, great?"

The reason you can't fast-travel to town is because normally, after getting a house, there's a dedicated 'house' button which just brings you right back to your house. I just got a place, and upgraded it a few times in some apparently italian town.

Oh, and for people who do get a home, remember: everyone from your town can enter your house and take your poo poo, unless you shell out for a safe.. Which is super frustrating when they completely clear out your shelves like selfish assholes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Oh, and for people who do get a home, remember: everyone from your town can enter your house and take your poo poo, unless you shell out for a safe.. Which is super frustrating when they completely clear out your shelves like selfish assholes.

Man I thought it was annoying when I'd cut down a tree and someone would swipe all the logs before I could. Looks like I'll uninstall this one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

mrkillboy posted:

It's been a few years since the last one but there's a new Asphalt game, Asphalt Xtreme out now.

DC Legends, a hero battler with all your favorite DC comics characters is also out to take your money.

I worked on DC Legends a little bit last summer during my MBA internship. Glad to finally see it's release!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

This looks to be same setup as star wars galaxies
Get shards to unlock people. Paywall incoming in 5, 4, 3.....

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Really trying to like The Trail but it runs like poo poo even on my Nexus 6P with all the settings turned down. Too bad!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Really trying to like The Trail but it runs like poo poo even on my Nexus 6P with all the settings turned down. Too bad!

I installed the update and it still runs like poo poo! Wow!!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This looks to be same setup as star wars galaxies
Get shards to unlock people. Paywall incoming in 5, 4, 3.....
Yeah I got excited then I realized it's the same as all those other poo poo games

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's bugging me the most about The Trail is that nothing operates on a tap. Drag this stick to the square, then drag down to craft. Drag this item into your bag, etc. It shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but oh well.

(also, gently caress how limited bag space is)

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive Bluetooth controller to pair up with a Nexus 5X? I was considering a 3rd party PS3 controller and a phone mount for it, but it's hard to narrow it down when there's a million cheap alternatives available online.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

What's bugging me the most about The Trail is that nothing operates on a tap. Drag this stick to the square, then drag down to craft. Drag this item into your bag, etc. It shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but oh well.

(also, gently caress how limited bag space is)

The missed dragging and lovely bag is what got me dropping the game for sure.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I love the bag, simply because you can just pile poo poo on top of it until it's literally like half your screen.

Plus later (maybe after you get a house?) items start merging within your bag, so instead of three individual sticks, they'll merge into a stick with a (3) next to it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
CAN'T WAIT TO MERGE ALL THESE STICKS!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The worst thing to me is the timed trading mini game. Between figuring out what the poo poo on the machine is, what it is I actually want to sell, the crappy framerate and wrestling with the dragging and dropping to and from the backpack, there's just so much room for frustration in the small time frame you have. Why.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also when people drop something you want to buy directly into the mulcher so you don't even get a shot to grab it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bunky posted:

Game Dev Story

Are there others that people recommend? I've got game dev

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azhais posted:

Are there others that people recommend? I've got game dev

I've enjoyed Ninja Village, Dungeon Village and Beastie Bay.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pocket League Story 2 is the one I've sunk the most time into

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Xtanstic posted:

Pocket League Story 2 is the one I've sunk the most time into

This too. I also like Grand Prix Story and Mega Mall Story. Pocket Arcade Story is also apparently good but I haven't played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only three I ever enjoyed were Game Dev, Pocket League and Grand Prix. I'm not sure why but I've tried various others and they all felt frustrating to try to work out what was optimal and what all the points and ratings were and such. Even Pocket League 2 had this problem because they started making you care about the precise layout of your training ground or something like that.