Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Nessus posted:

Also based on reports of early voting, Clinton has basically already won Nevada, or so I have gathered.

Clinton definitely won Nevada, a state reliably picking the US President for many general elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Craptacular! posted:

So, just so you know: when you're so outraged that you "can't even" or whatever, it's better to just say nothing, because it's those sort of reactions that lead people to think "guess I'll go eat worms vote Trump because apparently I'm deplorable now."

A "wow I can't even" reaction is reasonable given your derisive treatment of TB after her heartfelt response.

Go vote trump, do what you want dude. No PoC in this thread will be surprised to know a white person is real committed to being racist. It's central to white identity.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Skyrim was a popular vidcon so if he just played it, even for a good long while, and then moved on to other games, I don't think you need to fear anything more than his inadvertently attempting to purchase wares from cats. If however he is still playing it five years later and talks about a mod load order you may need to call the shop.

Nah he hasn't had time for anything besides Angry Birds in over a year. Adulthood: The worst?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

If he's a stormcloak I hope you got a prenup.
He appeared to be some sort of wizard, but my "that's nice dear" goggles were on pretty firmly whenever he was playing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This means a lot. I know a lot of people don't like me. It's really cool that some people do :unsmith:

I agree with the Bassetking. You’re great.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Mixodorian posted:

It is seriously ridiculous that in this country, supporting Trump isn't met with severe social stigma. I work in finance in New York and a good chunk of my coworkers are voting Trump with glee, thinking the white national aspect of a Trump presidency is a laughing matter. FFFFFuck that.

Trump's selection as the republican candidate has legitimized those views. It's now ok to yak on about having a pussy grabbin' good time and xenophobic ideas to keep dirty foreigners out because a presidential candidate is saying it. After years of political correctness maintaining polite social spheres, it's suddenly ok to express those ideas again.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna vote for Trump so he can do something about these people who make me feel bad when I express my bad opinions.

They brought it on themselves really.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Craptacular! posted:

So, just so you know: when you're so outraged that you "can't even" or whatever, it's better to just say nothing, because it's those sort of reactions that lead people to think "guess I'll go eat worms vote Trump because apparently I'm deplorable now."

Gonna go back a bit for this one.

Craptacular! posted:

I think it's at the point where I don't disagree with these peoples chosen candidate so much as I disagree with how solemnly serious they are about promoting it. I've voted Democrat for most things barring some civic offices and Schwarzenegger, I should be happy in this echo chamber, but I'm getting disgusted because it won't go away.

I have two reactions to this - one empathetic, another harsh.

1) It can be exhausting to watch a bunch of comfortable-to-rich white dudes competing in the Woke Olympics.
2) This talk about "getting disgusted because it won't go away" comes off as extremely privileged, like why won't these filthy peasants lighten up occasionally.

This might be projection on my part - you seem to be coming from a place of privilege. Telling persons of color how they should express their anger or frustration or grief is really not fair or effective. Better to seek understanding. Like, read a lot and monitor your actions. It's not a switch to toggle, it's not an end goal, but it is important.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wyld Thang posted:

Clinton definitely won Nevada, a state reliably picking the US President for many general elections.

But what if on election day 40% of those who already voted decide they want to nullify their early voting and redo it. You know, like Trump keeps telling them. That will definitely happen. Horserace!

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Ew and there's such a pervasive assumption that every Trump voter lives on a dirt farm too. People forget that the cities are also full of terrible people. Those are Trump's people.

For sure. My characterization of Trump voters is white men who are living a comfortable life don't give a solitary gently caress about anyone else. There is a surprisingly large amount of people who fit this description because, shockingly, our society is designed around allowing people like this to exist at the expense of others.

I grew up in SC, and while the south certainly has more unsavory views as a whole, trying to write off trump voters as all hicks leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering the people I interact with EVERY DAY IN MANHATTAN.

E: to be fair, almost every male cab or uber driver I've talked election 2016 with also are trump. Mainly Indian. Don't know why this would be the case, but New York is a confused place.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

VikingofRock posted:

I wonder if this forum has come far enough that we could actually have a decent discussion thread on women/minority representations in video games. Video games are a major media form nowadays, and and I think there are some interesting things to be said there, but historically it hasn't worked well on this forum. I remember there being a thread from back when Anita Sarkeesian started her thing, but it was a shitshow and got closed, and then gamergate happened and all discussion of video games got banned in D&D and all discussion of politics got banned in Games. But maybe it's been long enough now that a thread like that could work?

I doubt it. Containing that poo poo to hell thread barely worked. Even when hell thread was filled with people who thought gamer gate was dumb but laughed at the Twitter drama surrounding it. There was also lots of Metal Gear chat, ironic Dragon Age chat, and somebody kept posting hit twinks.

It'd be a good conversation now, especially since the medium has moved past the very-special-episode ham fistedness of games like Dragon Age 3 and on towards a more organic kind of inclusiveness as small as those steps seem.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

It's not just games or comics. Any media format can apply.

Yeah, I wasn't even just talking about games and comics in my quoted posts. I'm also really into sci-fi and programming, and both of those are full of white, male assholes as well (although it does feel like there is hope for comics and sci-fi--there is some legit progressive stuff that has come out of both scenes recently). Also I'm a grad student in physics, which is known for being very white and male even within STEM. You wouldn't believe some of the poo poo I hear from older professors. At least the younger crowd seems to be a little more diverse and understanding of minority issues.

It's like how you made a thread about black women in media that's currently being used to post about white women punk singers. There's very little progress, re: internet race chat.

Okay, so I feel like I must be missing something here, but aren't all the recent posts in that thread about black women in punk, or about how punk and heavy metal can be exclusionary towards minorities and women? I made a small post on that topic in that thread and I wasn't trying to poo poo it up, I swear!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

A "wow I can't even" reaction is reasonable given your derisive treatment of TB after her heartfelt response.

Go vote trump, do what you want dude. No PoC in this thread will be surprised to know a white person is real committed to being racist. It's central to white identity.

Understand just two things:
1. I didn't find much debatable in TB's post, which is why I had no response. It was only after the subsequent "sigh no response" post that I felt I needed to make some kind of affirmative noise.

2. Racism was only brought up as a parallel because reparations are a real, eas ily referenced, controversial corrective measure to a problem. I brought it up because the issues of sexism are far more nebulous.

isk posted:

1) It can be exhausting to watch a bunch of comfortable-to-rich white dudes competing in the Woke Olympics.
2) This talk about "getting disgusted because it won't go away" comes off as extremely privileged, like why won't these filthy peasants lighten up occasionally.

You have a very good point, and the people I was complaining about are definitely in the first category. White dudes in BMWs and the like.

Like if a Muslim friend was as woke as these guys I'd be a lot more sympathetic.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

Why do you think controllers started vibrating?
Probably a mixture of being real embarrassed at punditing away what his polls showed, this race genuinely having uniquely confounding features compared to the past, and (I would not be surprised) a certain degree of the same pessimism that many people hold on reflex. Now that said he also set up his model before the election really got started, and the chaos of the Tromp has probably upset some factors that would otherwise be fixed. One of his big possible fudge factors here is "all these avowedly undecided voters might all break for Trump." (I doubt they would, and I think most of Trump's improving numbers are Johnson voters embracing Satan.)

He has her numbers literally dropping by the hour. Sorry that's getting a little loving ridiculous and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I write an effortpost, one of my better ones on racism, imo, I think I am getting closer to a succinct way of communicating those ideas, and he ignores it. Then he writes up this very gross set of words, and I react naturally. Now I get a scolding on how to better comport myself to be deserving of Crappy's attention. That he wasn't giving when I was trying. Oh please, Crappy, let me just beg you for more. What do I have to do to get to hear more of your precious racist thoughts. They're so rare.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Nessus posted:

My dear fellow, I don't understand what you meant by this turn of phrase.

I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

the tiny hands feelers twitter list is pretty nice but there are some real clunkers on there

whoever is in charge of curating that list please remove salena zito god she's so bad
Do you understand what the point of the list is?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Because he's human scum and real dedicated to being racist. :ssh:

Yup.

It's like how you made a thread about black women in media that's currently being used to post about white women punk singers. There's very little progress, re: internet race chat.

:ohdear:

Poly Styrene was mixed race, though, which I think was the point of that post.

http://www.x-rayspex.com/biography/biography1.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lead out in cuffs posted:

:ohdear:

Poly Styrene was mixed race, though, which I think was the point of that post.

http://www.x-rayspex.com/biography/biography1.html

Holy poo poo her dad was dope looking af

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I think we will all be dead by climate change before an English speaking website can have a serious and good faith discussion on why there are a grand total of like 3 (guessing here) video games star a black woman as the main and playable character.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

I write an effortpost, one of my better ones on racism, imo

Agreed - I found it kind and insightful.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I write an effortpost, one of my better ones on racism, imo, I think I am getting closer to a succinct way of communicating those ideas, and he ignores it. Then he writes up this very gross set of words, and I react naturally. Now I get a scolding on how to better comport myself to be deserving of Crappy's attention. That he wasn't giving when I was trying. Oh please, Crappy, let me just beg you for more. What do I have to do to get to hear more of your precious racist thoughts. They're so rare.

I apologize. But this thread moves very fast, I'm on an iPhone mashing replies, and every one of my posts is getting 3-5 replies because I volunteered to let the hive analyze my thought process.

It's pretty clear what you think of me anyway, but I just want to let you know why a huge effortpost at 2AM is not in my wheelhouse right now.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Wyld Thang posted:

What's the early polling looking like there?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I apologize. But this thread moves very fast, I'm on an iPhone mashing replies, and every one of my posts is getting 3-5 replies because I volunteered to let the hive analyze my thought process.

It's pretty clear what you think of me anyway, but I just want to let you know why a huge effortpost at 2AM is not in my wheelhouse right now.

Yo your iphone didn't write that condescending mess. I could believe Mitt Romney did. Do you know Mitt Romney?

And if your iphone's sneaking affirmative action into your posts you have a serious bug in autocorrect

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mixodorian posted:

I think we will all be dead by climate change before an English speaking website can have a serious and good faith discussion on why there are a grand total of like 3 (guessing here) video games star a black woman as the main and playable character.

Miyamoto should retcon the Mario Bros. as Somalian immigrant sisters before he retires, the crying would never stop being funny

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wyld Thang posted:

I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Sir I assure you that I have seen that image and that I am familiar with what that man, apparently wed, is performing to his own excretory organ.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you think racism is terrible there are basically two ways to deal with living in a racist society.

You can determinedly ignore any and all evidence that any position you hold could be racist and get angry at anyone who suggests otherwise to make sure you never have to admit to being racist because being a racist is terrible!
or
You can seek out evidence and arguments against you and critically evaluate your positions for hidden racism to make sure you're not perpetuating racism because being a racist is terrible!

One of these methods is a lot more effective at building a better society.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Flopsy posted:

What's the early polling looking like there?

a 13 point lead

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

It is 5am here and I don't have to be til work til 10am, so I could sleep a few more hours.

Take that as context as when I say when somebody from a marginalized takes their time to give you a good explanation of something you don't fully understand, don't last minute bounce and then act like their disappointment in a lack of reply from you isn't reasonable.

It is 2016. Your group holds a large dominance in population and wealth. If you do care, please don't act like you were posting on something awful moments before sleep and couldn't catch them until later.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
So I took a trip down to Mexico for my b-day, and while I was there I bought a bracelet adorned with the Mexican flag colors, and the words "gently caress TRUMP" printed in bold plain lettering. Should I wear this when I go to vote???? Thanks, Something Awful US Politics Thread.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Let's be honest, he's just a subtler version of this guy:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Yo your iphone didn't write that condescending mess. I could believe Mitt Romney did. Do you know Mitt Romney?

And if your iphone's sneaking affirmative action into your posts you have a serious bug in autocorrect

I have no strong opinions on affirmative action. I "snuck it in" alongside reparations as both seek to offset natural imbalances by a systemic action.

My only opinion I've ever offered on affirmative action, which I support, is that if you don't recruit/hire/etc with a race bias, it won't change anything in your place of school or business. And if it does change what you're doing, then it means you most likely recruited with a racial bias.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

psychoJ posted:

So I took a trip down to Mexico for my b-day, and while I was there I bought a bracelet adorned with the Mexican flag colors, and the words "gently caress TRUMP" printed in bold plain lettering. Should I wear this when I go to vote???? Thanks, Something Awful US Politics Thread.

Your precinct's blue, go for it, you!
Your precinct's red, might end up dead :(

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Miyamoto should retcon the Mario Bros. as Somalian immigrant sisters before he retires, the crying would never stop being funny

I would preorder and wait in line at night for the Maryan sisters.

Thanks for reminding me of my disappointment in my Italian, Irish, and polish new yorks turning their backs on melanated people once they were finally accepted into white hood after going thru white people fuckery themselves.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I have no strong opinions on affirmative action. I "snuck it in" alongside reparations as both seek to offset natural imbalances by a systemic action.

My only opinion I've ever offered on affirmative action, which I support, is that if you don't recruit/hire/etc with a race bias, it won't change anything in your place of school or business. And if it does change what you're doing, then it means you most likely recruited with a racial bias.

"Natural" imbalances. Yes.

If only I could Even. I'd hate for you to turn deplorable. You're so progressive and humane currently. It would be a great loss for our cause.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flopsy posted:

He has her numbers literally dropping by the hour. Sorry that's getting a little loving ridiculous and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Well I encourage you to take the attitude Shook Nate himself has taken about many polls: Incorporate the data but keep it in perspective. Someone has that list of like eight trackers and Nate is persistently the lowest, often by like 20%. Maybe he'll turn out to be right. We'll see. Go vote.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

stone cold posted:

Your precinct's blue, go for it, you!
Your precinct's red, might end up dead :(

Yeah I live in Cali. Might as well!

E: Wait, I guess Orange County has gone red for a while though. Hmmmmm...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is it the incoming or the outgoing senate who votes on the VP in case of a tie?

I love the absurd scenario where the democrats win the senate, but the presidential map is the one with red NH. (There isn't really a chance for it to happen, since it requires losing Nevada but winning Maine 2.) In that case it might end up being Trump/Kaine. Of course there would be riots though. After all, in that scenario, Clinton wins the popular vote by 2-3 points.

It really would be the perfect top for the most insane election in the last few decades.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

"Natural" imbalances. Yes.

Oh my god if you are going to word police me this hard then I shouldn't bother because I'm not educated enough to deal with you

I used the word systemic there initially but then decided to use it later on. People are naturally tribalistic and that's one of the major root causes of modern racism and segregation. Culture plays a part but isn't all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Oh my god if you are going to word police me this hard then I shouldn't bother because I'm not educated enough to deal with you

I used the word systemic there initially but then decided to use it later on. People are naturally tribalistic and that's one of the major root causes of modern racism and segregation. Culture plays a part but isn't all of it.

Lol word policing actual white supremacist talking points.

• Locked thread