Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Heh, Plague Dogs is the only reason I know about Geordies. To my shame.

For further anthropological study, see notable UK reality show Geordie Shore. Truly then you shall experience Bij.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Memory-Alpha (and subsequent Googling) suggest that Geordi La Forge is named after George La Forge, a fan with a disability who regularly attended Trek events until his death in 1975. Not sure where the other stuff comes from.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah this is about as much of a joke as it is. It's a slant reference to Scottie because it's also a name associated with place, in this case Northern England rather than Scotland. But rather than make him an actual Geordie, they made him a blind black guy.

Ofc, now someone will post a link to some famous blind black guy from Newcastle I'd forgotten about. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that they went for a character who doesn't square with the traditional Geordie stereotype (white, working class)

As usual, Futurama nailed it years ago

e2: I mean, "LaForge" is a pretty on-the-nose name for an engineer as well

"Geordi LaForge" has nothing to do with engineering or Scotty, because he was originally intended to be the Blind Helmsman. It was only later in the show that they moved him to Engineering.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Astroman posted:

"Geordi LaForge" has nothing to do with engineering or Scotty, because he was originally intended to be the Blind Helmsman. It was only later in the show that they moved him to Engineering.

Doesn't mean his name wasn't a play on Scotty's though. It's not like I wasn't expecting a bunch of people to explain why I was wrong though, so feel free to disregard if it makes you happier

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Memory-Alpha (and subsequent Googling) suggest that Geordi La Forge is named after George La Forge, a fan with a disability who regularly attended Trek events until his death in 1975. Not sure where the other stuff comes from.

This is correct. Also, a character named in his honor appeared in one of the early Bantam Trek novels, I think one written by David Gerrold (writer of 'The Trouble With Tribbles' ) ,who met George LaForge several times during the early convention circuit. He also named our Geordi in his honor during the show breaking process of TNG.
Sorry folks, it's not an engineering/Scots tribute, just the writers paying homage to a fan.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't see that one would preclude the other though?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't see that one would preclude the other though?

Because like I said, Geordi was never intended to be an engineer. He was in the all important Sulu character position. They wanted to concentrate on the bridge crew so they specifically did NOT have a Chief Engineer main character. The engineer was just supposed to be a minor supporting character in the background because in Roddenberry's Brave New World technology is an afterthought, not a story driver. They had like 3 chief engineers in the first season. In the Series Bible written by Roddenberry in 1987 he wasn't even the helmsman--he was an "away mission regular" who was a teacher in the ship's school. He was touted as the "blind helsman" by the first Starlog profile if the show in Feb of 1988.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Geordi is an interesting character in that he's cool as a side character but every episode focused on him makes him less likeable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Because like I said, Geordi was never intended to be an engineer. He was in the all important Sulu character position. They wanted to concentrate on the bridge crew so they specifically did NOT have a Chief Engineer main character. The engineer was just supposed to be a minor supporting character in the background because in Roddenberry's Brave New World technology is an afterthought, not a story driver. They had like 3 chief engineers in the first season. In the Series Bible written by Roddenberry in 1987 he wasn't even the helmsman--he was an "away mission regular" who was a teacher in the ship's school. He was touted as the "blind helsman" by the first Starlog profile if the show in Feb of 1988.

BUT MY PET FAN THEORY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Geordi is an interesting character in that he's cool as a side character but every episode focused on him makes him less likeable.
So an Engineer then

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

LaForge is indeed pretty on the nose for an engineer. It's cool he was named for a real person though.

Trek names in general are interesting because they vary from strongly suggestive (ie Deanna Troi = Diana Troy) to really arbitrary. Like, "Montgomery Scott" is about as subtle as a kick in the head, but why do Kirk, McCoy, and Kyle also have Scottish names? Why does Spock have the same name as a famous child psychologist? What was Roddenberry's deal with all those "k" sounds anyway? Of course, it beats calling the captain "April."

It seems like they got a lot lazier with the names later on though. Like, Janeway went from Quebecois to Irish-American, but kept the same Italian-English last name. I mean, it has a nice enough ring to it and certainly Americans have names from all over, but it doesn't tell us much about the character and really just feels sorta generic. Meanwhile, "Tom Paris" sounds like he wandered straight out of a bad spy novel and most of the alien names are just random jumbles of (English) syllables.

Also, Chakotay may be a real name somewhere idk, but whole thing where he doesn't have a last name is pretty weird. Even the "Indian" tribes that didn't use two names originally mostly do now and Chakotay never seemed like he was one of those guys that's self-consciously old fashioned. Maybe that planet he was from had some return to tradition thing going on, but that's probably giving the writers too much credit.

Meanwhile, the Enterprise names are so boring I can't even keep them straight.

I'm awaiting the first Discovery casting announcement with bated breath in part because I think the relative quality of the character names will give us a really good clue if the show is on the right track or not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wanna know how you give someone the name "Crusher" and still retain the ability to look at yourself in the mirror.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Duckbag posted:

I'm awaiting the first Discovery casting announcement with bated breath in part because I think the relative quality of the character names will give us a really good clue if the show is on the right track or not.

Chief Engineer Manuél O. Verride.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I wanna know how you give someone the name "Crusher" and still retain the ability to look at yourself in the mirror.
Ask every fantasy/sci-fi author of the last 120 or so years. Names are a near-consistent weak point.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I like bringing in Star Wars names into Star Trek. He can enjoy hanging out with Savage Opress.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

He'd never work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duckbag posted:

Trek names in general are interesting because they vary from strongly suggestive (ie Deanna Troi = Diana Troy) to really arbitrary. Like, "Montgomery Scott" is about as subtle as a kick in the head, but why do Kirk, McCoy, and Kyle also have Scottish names? Why does Spock have the same name as a famous child psychologist? What was Roddenberry's deal with all those "k" sounds anyway? Of course, it beats calling the captain "April."
A lot of 'Scottish' names are also kind of 'Generic American' names.

As for the Spock names, https://tadleckman.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/the-1966-star-trek-vulcan-proper-names-memos/

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Bob Justman was a genius and the lack of Spunks, Spanks, and Sporks in Star Trek is a tragedy.

The Scottish thing is mostly funny because, aside from beloved main character Chief Engineer Argyle, I'm not sure they've had another Scottish name since.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That's a great joke if you told it piecemeal over time. Introduce him as Manny Verride. Later on you reveal to the audience that Manny is short for Manuel. A few seasons on, you give him the middle name Oscar, and then let tumblr go crazy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Pronounced "ver-ree-day".

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Duckbag posted:

The Scottish thing is mostly funny because, aside from beloved main character Chief Engineer Argyle, I'm not sure they've had another Scottish name since.

Read the thread title and DINNAE LIGHT THA' CANDLE.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

That episode earned its notoriety but at least it featured a case of reverse weeabooism for a change, i.e. an alien that was gaga for human culture instead of the other way around.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The_Doctor posted:

That's a great joke if you told it piecemeal over time. Introduce him as Manny Verride. Later on you reveal to the audience that Manny is short for Manuel. A few seasons on, you give him the middle name Oscar, and then let tumblr go crazy.

It would be Ortega, excuse me. Why do you hate the Black Stars of Zeon?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kirk was of course originally going to be PIke.

Crusher is one of those Roddenberry "see how clever I am" things--a DOCTOR named CRUSHER, get it?! Like the blind helmsman. He liked to hit people over the head sometimes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been reading The 50 Year Mission, and got to the part about 'The Letter' that Roddenberry wrote to Shatner and Nimoy (and Kelley to a lesser extent) when they were having their big feud about who was the real star of the show. I'd heard of it - I think David Gerrold mentioned it in one of his books - but never read any extracts before, because it had been kept confidential until now.

Holy poo poo. Roddenberry didn't hold back, did he? :stare:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
mind pasting it?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Pronounced "ver-ree-day".

That would be the proper pronunciation in Spanish, yes.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

I gotta object to this post because the cold open to The Mind's Eye where Geordi is chilling in a runabout listening to mambo and doing a quantum mechanics pop quiz is :3:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Duckbag posted:

I was watching the old German show Raumpatrouille last night and weirdly enough the maverick captain on that show also has a Scottish name full of k sounds, Cliff Allister McLane. Stop consonants like that have a kind of dramatic clashing effect which suits bold space rangers pretty well I guess.

lordlimpet
Apr 9, 2005
that one in the corner
Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

Kirk was of course originally going to be PIke.

Crusher is one of those Roddenberry "see how clever I am" things--a DOCTOR named CRUSHER, get it?! Like the blind helmsman. He liked to hit people over the head sometimes.

umm... maybe my head needs to be hit occasionally as I really don't get this doctor called Crusher thing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lordlimpet posted:

umm... maybe my head needs to be hit occasionally as I really don't get this doctor called Crusher thing?

:pseudo: Because Picard has a crush on her, duh

lordlimpet
Apr 9, 2005
that one in the corner
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

:pseudo: Because Picard has a crush on her, duh

I thought it may have been as much but then thought, this is too obvious.

My friend is watching most of Star Trek for the first time, dipping in here and there between looking after his daughter. My friend and I have recommended a random smattering of films and episodes from assorted series but were wondering if watching things in order wasn't particularly available what you'd recommend. I've avoided DS9 because I feel that it requires a bit more engagement than a snatched moment and we've limited ourselves to TOS and TNG. He really enjoyed WoK, Darmok, Taste of Armageddon and even enjoyed the first half of Encounter at Farpoint. Was wondering if you guys recommended anything in particular for this haphazard style of viewing?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

lordlimpet posted:

I thought it may have been as much but then thought, this is too obvious.

My friend is watching most of Star Trek for the first time, dipping in here and there between looking after his daughter. My friend and I have recommended a random smattering of films and episodes from assorted series but were wondering if watching things in order wasn't particularly available what you'd recommend. I've avoided DS9 because I feel that it requires a bit more engagement than a snatched moment and we've limited ourselves to TOS and TNG. He really enjoyed WoK, Darmok, Taste of Armageddon and even enjoyed the first half of Encounter at Farpoint. Was wondering if you guys recommended anything in particular for this haphazard style of viewing?

Measure of a Man, Doomsday Machine

EDIT: If you mean DS9, though, Duet and the Visitor of course will always be recommended. I always thought that The Jem'Hadar, One Little Ship, To the Death, and the one with the "Sanctuary Districts" were good self-contained episodes "outsiders" could enjoy.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 4, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the DS9 section I'm on has everyone just going to down with their Rick Berman stories. He wasn't a horrible person to be around, and everyone always keeps sayign "we didn't HATE him or anything", but he was weird and could be incredibly frustrating. Like he drove all the writers loving insane. They were always writing and revising and quite often by a time a script got to Berman it was out of date or they had cut a bunch of scenes. He'd still do incredibly detailed borderline patronizing notes on EVERYTHING. He also would start every single meeting every single time for the entire run of the show by explaining his notation system as if it was the first time anyone had ever seen it. They'd beg him not to, but he just couldn't not explain it every time. Then they'd try to tell him "oh rick don't worry about that scene, it's been cut" and he'd say "no, I want to give you my notes" and he'd waste everyone's time reading his detailed notes (which included spelling and grammar and punctuation) for a scene that had been cut, because he worked hard on his notes and everyone needed to hear them.

He also very clearly didn't get the show or like the show and was constantly fighting them over it not being star trek enough. They had to sneak in continuity and minor characters having recurring or bigger roles because if they made it too obvious he'd nix it. He also hated the fans and deemed any call-backs to previous series (let alone episodes of the same show) or general trek lore as "fan service" and would always try to cut it out of scripts. He wasn't all bad, he got them more money when they really needed it and they could often convince him of things or make compromises. For instance they wanted to have way more dominion war episodes, he wanted to have none because war doesnt belong in star trek genes vision!!! So they compromised on a set number. He never thought they were making bad TV and always respected everyone, he just hated that they were not making "proper trek" and saw himself as the guardian that needed to reign in all this terrible stuff like space war and humans with flaws and episodes that reference other episodes and don't hit the reset button at the end.

I wonder how much better DS9 could have been without him holding them back.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/794592815053344768

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder how much better DS9 could have been without him holding them back.

I think he was right to an extent. It was probably for the better there be at least one Gene's Vision guy on staff to at least keep it rooted in Star Trekisms, for better and for worse, or else it really could have been any sci-fi show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WickedHate posted:

I think he was right to an extent. It was probably for the better there be at least one Gene's Vision guy on staff to at least keep it rooted in Star Trekisms, for better and for worse, or else it really could have been any sci-fi show.

Also DS9 without an oppositional berman constantly saying no and seemingly missing the point is maybe BSG, which makes DS9's ending look stellar. So maybe he had some sort of positive role.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Having limits to operate in can make the creative process leaner in many ways. Gotta kill more darlings and keep what's really important.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MorgaineDax posted:

I watched this again recently and was reminded that all of that was possible because an alien visited Earth, stumbled across Scotland, decided it was the most perfect thing this side of the galaxy, searched for and found a barren planet, and terraformed (Scotlaformed?) it to make what he thought was the perfect planet. Yeah totally makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I watched this again recently and was reminded that all of that was possible because an alien visited Earth, stumbled across Scotland, decided it was the most perfect thing this side of the galaxy, searched for and found a barren planet, and terraformed (Scotlaformed?) it to make what he thought was the perfect planet. Yeah totally makes sense.

To be fair humans do that too, why else do you think everyone wants a nice grassy lawn out front?