Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

Here's the thing about impeachment:

The House might well vote to impeach Clinton. It's like the reddest of red meat that House Republicans could ever throw to their base. But the president isn't immediately removed from office when the House votes to impeach. If that was how it worked, they would've done it to Obama the moment they took the House in 2010.

Instead, there's a trial in the Senate, and that requires a two-thirds majority vote to remove the president from office. Even if the worst-case scenario happens on Tuesday and Democrats don't retake the Senate majority, the Republicans still don't have that. That means that, without incontrovertible evidence of legitimate wrongdoing (something that hasn't been found in 30 goddamn years of trying very, very hard), there's no way the Senate would actually remove Clinton from office, no matter how hard the House tries.

Why might they not vote to impeach? Well, because doing so would litigate the matter very publicly. Every American news outlet would be watching the entire trial like a hawk, every bit of evidence, every word of testimony, and remember that, in 30 years of trying, they have never found something to indict either Clinton with. In all likelihood, they'd fail again, and people would see how frivolous the whole thing is in much clearer detail than they were able to during the election. It'd be a massive public failure on the part of House Republicans and, best case scenario for them, would have no effect on Clinton's approval.

It's hard to say whether they'll try or not. I think there's a definite possibility, but it's a huge risk to do so when there's very little chance of actually succeeding. It's much safer to just sit there and obstruct.

I think it will come down to how much pressure there is to do so from the voters and Freedom Caucus. When they've been claiming Hillary is literally a criminal the true believers, both in positions of power and the regular voters, aren't going to be satisfied with merely stopping her agenda. I think partially why Trump was able to successfully win the nomination is that the GOP in general didn't do enough to fight against Obama and thus were complicit in his presidency. Trump, not being a real politician up to that point, had no history of actually doing anything and didn't have to answer for anything. Obama was hated but they didn't have a lot of actual scandals stick that were something they could really drum up. With Clinton they have thirty years of smoke and can use pretty much anything to claim she needs to be further investigated and the hate for her is a lot more intense.

Boot and Rally posted:

I don't understand impeaching the President when you can't convict in the House. I guess it gives you something to campaign on? Without it would Gore have easily one Florida? It is so obviously partisan that anyone who says "but Bill Clinton was impeached!" obviously never liked the guy to begin with, like a Red Sox fan calling the Yankees cheaters or something. Of course they would think/say/do that.

People's understanding of civics is generally bad so saying she was impeached is just as good to some people as if she was actually convicted. Bill Clinton being impeached was obviously based on very little and purely political since it was just a House vote but people will still use it as a reason he got away with a crime.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He plead down to contributing to delinquency, which isn't a sex crime.

Gotcha.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was listening to the latest Trumpcast from Tuesday on my commute and wanted to draw attention to it since this election moves so fast:

How Trump Duped the Republican Party Into Funding Its Own Destruction

The long and short of it is that after the dismal failure of Orca in the 2012 election, Reince Priebus poured 100 million dollars of RNC money into a data operation to be used in 2016. When Trump became the nominee, he handed the keys to Trump, who now has millions of readily available marks he can swindle after the election. That data might be the most valuable thing Trump owns.

There's even more in the actual article Joshua Green wrote for Bloomberg.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Ah, but there is a solution for that, my friend! :shepface:

Basically, it's illegal for a former Representative or Senate to leave Congress and immediately turn around to lobby (ie expend valuable political connections or capital the former Congressmen have, which is exactly why they're paid so much loving money hand-over-fist) their own respective legislature.

HOWEVER, it is not illegal to immediately lobby your legislative counterpart (ie a former House Rep lobbying their Senate friends); and oh gee whiz, there's some nice Scotch at the liquor store down the block from K Street, maybe we can open a vintage bottle and have a relaxed conversation over a steak dinner at Smith & Wollensky's later?

I know this, because I personally delivered Scotch to a former Congressman and was treated to a free dinner at Smith & Wollensky's and some other seafood restaurant overlooking the Potomac near Georgetown as a reward for my good work. :ssh:

Feel free to ask me more about the wonders of lobbying (ie, my reasons for running away screaming from a prospective career in DC :gonk:)!
I figured most of it was denial that wining and dining meaningfully affected their voting and stuff, despite all evidence that it does. I've heard similar things about doctors and pharmaceutical sales reps and what drugs doctors prescribe.

edit: more in general, I heard that techniques of persuasion works the best on people who are convinced they don't work on them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 4, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

teen witch posted:

This guy screams "actually its ephebophilia :qqsay: "

Who is voting for this man and why?

I don't know what this means and I'm not going to look it up.

Apparently Virginians are, because Virginia sucks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Well, the coping mechanisms they use on this board is trolling, reporting, then getting a mod that tacitly approves of the aforementioned two methods to then probate/ban you for dating to not want to be dehumanized.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:smith:

This post is sad about the state of racism in America, including on this forum.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just an fyi but if New Hampshire goes red and Georgia goes blue me and every other liberal from the South are going to laugh at you dumb yankees.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Apparently he was only convicted of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, a misdemeanor charge. Also, he stepped down as a state rep then RAN IN THE SPECIAL ELECTION TO FILL HIS SEAT, and while SERVING HIS JAIL TIME, HE WON.

What the gently caress, Virginia. I'm ashamed I live so close to you now.

Well, they do say Virginia is For Lovers...

I am so, so sorry for that terrible joke. Please forgive me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Trabisnikof posted:

Considering many people of color in this thread have expressed concern modding is biased against them, I am not sure the best course of action is to punish them for expressing it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

like mlk, i believe in a world where people can be punished for thread derailing meltdowns regardless of their skin color

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering many people of color in this thread have expressed concern modding is biased against them, I am not sure the best course of action is to punish them for expressing it.

and yet the only people who get probied while saying this are tiny bronto and gfsincere, tiny bronto previously banned from uspol for endless angry freakouts and gfsincere believes that bigfoot is abducting hundreds of american citizens per year

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 4, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think most of us are on board with the fact that HRC is going to win next week, probably comfortably.

We probably won't retake the senate but we're expecting that.

What I don't think we're prepared for - what our blood pressure isn't prepared for - is the media continuing its campaign against Clinton throughout her first term and likely her second, if she gets one. They're going to lend legitimacy to every petty impeachment attempt and every hearing on emailghazi. They've tasted blood and I see no reason for them to stop just because she won. The only difference will be no Trump, so she gets 100% of their focus.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

see u in 24 hours, fucko

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holybshit the Richmond VA mayoral race is almost crazier than Trump. Literal convicted pedophile in the lead?

loving gently caress don't remind me. Yeah I can effort post about this if anyone cares. But long story short Joe Morrissey, noted creeper and guy who got arrested for having sex with a (black, this is important for... well) 16 year old and then later married her in a weird plantation-themed (you see) wedding, is leading. Unfortunately for everyone, not only does he have a thoroughly undeserved reputation for being a fighter for the city's black population, he's also genuinely amazing at retail politics. He's very much an even skeevier Bill Clinton.

It's not that there aren't any cool people running. Arguably there were three great candidates and some other ok candidates. But this created a perverse system like the primary that gave us Donald Trump; they're all splitting the vote, and Morrissey is winning with like 35%.

Now Richmond has a weird mayoral election system. In order to be elected on the first round you must win not only a plurality of the overall vote but also a plurality of the vote in five of the nine districts. This was a compromise hammered out to ensure mayors would have to appeal to the entire city, not just run up the score in lily white districts. So there is a distinct possibility this doesn't happen, in which case we get thrown into a runoff with only the top two candidates (Morrissey and either Stoney or Berry it looks like), a situation where Morrissey is on much less strong footing, and where coverage of the race doesn't get swallowed whole by the trumpster fire.

We've already had one of the ok candidates drop out to try and force this outcome, and there's a movement afoot to strategic vote and deny districts to Morrissey. We will see if it works.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Agean90 posted:

just an fyi but if New Hampshire goes red and Georgia goes blue me and every other liberal from the South are going to laugh at you dumb yankees.

Good. For far too long, NH has profited from the upstanding reputation of its neighbours. Time to expose it for the abomination that it truly is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pedophilia technically (or is it "technically") prep prepubescent. Ephebophilia is teenagers. Theres a term for tweenagers but I don't remember.

Anyway, molesters very consistently rationalize their actions, and "the age of consent should be lower" is common. Girl was seventeen. In some states it'd actually be legal.

Virginia is not one of them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Arcanen posted:

This is interesting stuff.

I'm interested in unintended potentially consequent results of this sort of thing: does any of the strong focus on language affect how people view racism in other (more direct) circumstances? It seems, for example, that you can be demonstrably, outspokenly, absolutely undeniably racist... but the only thing that breaks though to a lot of people (and the media in particular), is if someone uses an unacceptable slur. Having a political candidate caught using the n-word is politically catastrophic, even if they've clearly been supporting and pushing racist policies and views for decades.

The complete unacceptability of slurs is undoubtedly a good thing. But is it a prior victory that has allowed other forms of racism to flourish because "well he didn't say the n-word, and that's what makes someone a racist"?

Slurs being one of the only firmly socially agreed-upon bellweathers of racism is certainly used by people as a (lovely) excuse for permitting other forms of racism, but this isn't a unique thing. Think about all the excuses for bad behavior toward minorities that whites have had over the years and still have today: "Well, it's not like I ever had slaves so..." "We let them vote now so..." "One of my best friends is a PoC so..." are all pretty similar to "I didn't say the n-word so..." in that the avoidance of obvious racism in one situation is somehow supposed to serve as evidence of the impossibility of being racist in other situations. I do think the public needs to be smarter about identifying and shunning less obvious forms of racist language, but I also don't think the awareness of slurs as irredeemably bad is a barrier to this. Dog whistles and other forms of coded racist language will always be a problem due to the flexibility of language, so even if banishing slurs enables them in some small way, I'll take it over slurs still being acceptable.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Just wanna say that this is a crushingly depressing post and makes me want to reach for a drink. :smithicide:

A journey into the right wing delusion mindset always is. Their knee-jerk emotional reaction after every event is the most important thing and they will not rest until they reach a point where they aren't constantly scared anymore. Have you visited the Freep thread to see purestrain "conservative truth" in action?

What depresses me is less the horrible world that nearly half the country seems to live in, but how far everyone "moderate" goes to justify it later. Especially when the large number of heavily armed white terrorisits unrelated troubled white men who just inexplicably crop up when the GOP is questioned attack while they rage than anyone darker than milk are such groups of maniacs for daring to protest being murdered by law enforcement for no reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

They managed to recover from the shutdown of 2013 and blocking the Supreme Court nominee when the public forgot about it, so they might well be willing to try to muddy the waters with an impeachment stunt if they get desperate enough. Their base will be yearning for more Trump-style "conservative warriors" so I imagine they'd try it in 2018 or so to get the base more motivated to give them full control of Congress again.

No matter what, 2018 is going to be ugly.

Democrats need a Senate majority now so that Clinton can get through a SCOTUS appointment before 2018. And, honestly, Notorious RBG should probably retire if Clinton wins and the Democrats win a Senate majority--not because I want her to be gone, I definitely don't, but because it might be best to let Clinton nominate a replacement at a time when that replacement could actually be confirmed, rather than wait until her health no longer allows her to serve as a SCOTUS justice, which could well be at a time when the Republicans hang on to a Senate majority. Cement that liberal majority while they can, y'know?

Of course, if the Democrats don't win a Senate majority, then I'll just have to hope Ginsburg is literally immortal. :ohdear:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I disagree. Cracker, I believe, came originally from an 1800s slur for Southern white people who were so poor they mixed dirt and mud to eat for food which were euphemistically referred to as crackers.

On the Antebellum/post-Civil War Southern power hierarchy, poor "cracker" whites were just above black slaves and freedmen for being poo poo on.

In Florida the term is from whip cracker, and crack shot. Whip cracker referring to cattle herding cowboys. Crack shot referring to confederate soldiers from Florida. Don't know about other states.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Soothing Vapors posted:

see u in 24 hours, fucko

*as he is dragged to the leper's colony*

sssssssssssvvvvvvvvvvvv'sssssssss wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffffffffffffff--

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Felony popery is very underrated crime imo

Popery is a serious crime, he certainly wouldn't come out smelling like a rose. Maybe lilac, or sandalwood.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pedophilia technically (or is it "technically") prep prepubescent. Ephebophilia is teenagers. Theres a term for tweenagers but I don't remember.

nope

nope nope nope

veto

ixnay

nope

we're not doing this

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

In some states it'd actually be legal.

This girl is two years younger than Lewinsky was. Guy's a gross creepshow no doubt, but posts like this

teen witch posted:

are pretty stupid.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Anyway, molesters very consistently rationalize their actions, and "the age of consent should be lower" is common. Girl was seventeen. In some states it'd actually be legal.

No.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

"ephebophilia" means that you aren't attracted to actual little kids, but are attracted to teenagers, like people aged 15-18.

Anyone you ever hear concerned about the distinction is telling you about it because they REAAAALLLLLYYYY want to have sex with 15 year olds and don't want you to judge them for it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

teen witch posted:

Who is voting for this man and why?

Unfortunately, black voters. Guy has a law firm with a reputation for doing things like getting young first offenders off, helping with voting rights restoration, that sort of thing. He accomplished precisely nothing in the state legislature, and it's not like he doesn't charge for his services, but between that and his absolute mastery of the art of door-to-door handshake politics he has a huge following in the historically black parts of Richmond. It's a city long dominated by racial politics for obvious reasons; it's why it was such a huge deal when harmonica dad Tim Kaine became the first white mayor since civil rights.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Geostomp posted:

Have you visited the Freep thread to see purestrain "conservative truth" in action?

I've moved past (and healed :v:) the self-destruction phase of my life, I don't think I want to revisit that sort of self-harm.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Anyone you ever hear concerned about the distinction is telling you about it because they REAAAALLLLLYYYY want to have sex with 15 year olds and don't want you to judge them for it.

When people are posting "how could anyone in virginia vote for a PEDOPHILE" the distinction becomes remarkably relevant.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mel Mudkiper posted:

nope

nope nope nope

veto

ixnay

nope

we're not doing this

You'll note I called him a molester.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Quorum posted:

Unfortunately, black voters. Guy has a law firm with a reputation for doing things like getting young first offenders off,

Seems to really enjoy getting young people off I guess

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

I hope we never have to have this conversation again.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

This girl is two years younger than Lewinsky was. Guy's a gross creepshow no doubt, but posts like this

are pretty stupid.

please, let's not consider any part of this creepy

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Quorum posted:

Unfortunately, black voters. Guy has a law firm with a reputation for doing things like getting young first offenders off, helping with voting rights restoration, that sort of thing. He accomplished precisely nothing in the state legislature, and it's not like he doesn't charge for his services, but between that and his absolute mastery of the art of door-to-door handshake politics he has a huge following in the historically black parts of Richmond. It's a city long dominated by racial politics for obvious reasons; it's why it was such a huge deal when harmonica dad Tim Kaine became the first white mayor since civil rights.

So this dude is a loving predator. Neat.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:vince:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

boner confessor posted:

is that the girl? As I age fully grown adults I see passing through campus all look like children. :smith: This is gross. this picture is gross

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

is that the girl? As I age fully grown adults I see passing through campus all look like children. :smith:

the older i get the more i consider anyone younger than 25 a child

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:eyepop:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

The moderation in D&D, and specifically in this thread, is hot loving garbage right now and it's really embarrassing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Harrow posted:

No matter what, 2018 is going to be ugly.

Democrats need a Senate majority now so that Clinton can get through a SCOTUS appointment before 2018. And, honestly, Notorious RBG should probably retire if Clinton wins and the Democrats win a Senate majority--not because I want her to be gone, I definitely don't, but because it might be best to let Clinton nominate a replacement at a time when that replacement could actually be confirmed, rather than wait until her health no longer allows her to serve as a SCOTUS justice, which could well be at a time when the Republicans hang on to a Senate majority. Cement that liberal majority while they can, y'know?

Of course, if the Democrats don't win a Senate majority, then I'll just have to hope Ginsburg is literally immortal. :ohdear:

I know. If the country is to function at all, we absolutely must use the upcoming two years to ram through everything we can which will require the Democrats to not start turning on each other again.

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

teen witch posted:

So this dude is a loving predator. Neat.

Yes. There's a reason I described him as an even skeevier Bill Clinton, with all Bill's personal charisma. Meeting the guy is weird because you can't help but kind of like him until he walks away, when you realize how creepy he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

boner confessor posted:

• Locked thread