Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo. That is the first thing that ever made me want to start watching wressling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gavok posted:

I've always been disappointed by my inability to get you into Chikara.

It's a running gag from the Punchsport Pagoda part of SA.

The short-as-I-can-make-it version: Chikara is an indie wrestling organization that focuses on humor, strong storylines that tend to make coherent sense and weird comic book poo poo while being fun for all ages. Time travel, mind-control, murder, resurrection, super powers, etc. There was a masked wrestler named Missile Assault Ant (an "extreme action figure" offshoot of other ant-based wrestlers) and they wanted to give him more of a story while having him remove the mask. So this wrestler Kevin Condron, who was writing his own "brilliant and artsy" storylines at the time, had this thing where he confronted Missile Assault Ant and told him, "I know that you were part of a mercenary outfit and under orders you blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe and it haunts you." Coming to terms with that somehow led to him removing the mask and being Missile Assault Man, who occasionally suffers from PTSD during matches. This was treated with sincerity.

It came out of nowhere, didn't make a lot of sense and went against the kid-friendly appeal of the promotion.

So "Missile Assault Ant blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe" is a thing that randomly gets mentioned from time to time. Mostly by me because it's hilariously dumb.

Chikara's beautiful. I got to see a match where Lance Steel, time traveling valiant knight from the past, fought Lance Steel, time traveling evil knight from ten minutes later, to see who got to stay in the present. Really impressive fight choreography and barely takes itself seriously.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One time a fight spilled out of the ring and out of the building and came back the following show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nothing's ever gonna top that Japanese fed where a ladder was the hardcore champ for a bit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Nothing's ever gonna top that Japanese fed where a ladder was the hardcore champ for a bit.
It was actually held by three different ladders at various times. It also held itself.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

One time a fight spilled out of the ring and out of the building and came back the following show.

Now I need to hear more about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Championship this is the Japanese fed belt Jurdiak mentioned.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The ladders are just the start of former Ironman Heavymetalweight Champions. My personal favourite is the one who was invisible, and could only be defeated by a man using infrared sensor goggles and a raygun.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Wammoth Bammoth Thank You Mammoth is pretty loving incredible.

I assume Homo Erectus is the local gay bar.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Championship this is the Japanese fed belt Jurdiak mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wo5D-Zoc4

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Disappointed they weren't covered in travel stickers.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ha! Darkness Crabtree is the best. His gimmick is he's really old. And I think that's the good Lance Steel. :allears:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dewgy posted:

Ha! Darkness Crabtree is the best. His gimmick is he's really old. And I think that's the good Lance Steel. :allears:

So old that he passed away a couple years back and left all his savings to his nephew, a yacht rock loving party boy who brings fruit baskets to the ring to give to his opponents.

And Lance Steel's time antics are practically child's play compared to the twisted knot that is Archibald Peck's timeline.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
sometimes the best gags are the most obvious

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manuel Calavera posted:

quote:

As of August 2016 there have been over 1,170 title changes for the belt, which has been won by numerous male and female wrestlers and non-wrestlers, including children, animals, entire audiences and inanimate objects.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouln't that be 'Gravel and Loam'?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So in the Flintstone universe, Plato's Cave would be some super-futuristic sci-fi setting, right?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jerusalem posted:

So in the Flintstone universe, Plato's Cave would be some super-futuristic sci-fi setting, right?

Where everyone is dressed up as other Hannah-Barbara and DC charlracters. Just like in Snatchers. (This post causes Slowbeef to rush into the thread.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

Plato's Retreat was a swingers club in New York, so maybe that's what this is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If it's anything it is probably a reference to Plato's Republic which talks about the concepts of the real and metaphysical world and uses the analogy of a man in the cave.
But it is totally a callback to the 90's Hideo Kojima game Snatchers where Plato's Cave was a bar you went to as part of the case.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

Cant wait to see that Fruity Pebbles commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apVOS4CJIls

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

sometimes the best gags are the most obvious

I can't stop laughing at the idea of even bringing Thundercracker, a Transformer, on a human-scale ops mission. This is from the newer GI Joe Transformers crossover, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dordreff posted:

The ladders are just the start of former Ironman Heavymetalweight Champions. My personal favourite is the one who was invisible, and could only be defeated by a man using infrared sensor goggles and a raygun.

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

quote:

The 1,000th Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion was crowned on April 29, 2014, when the title belt itself became the champion, after pinning Sanshiro Takagi.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Was... Was he wearing the belt at the time?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

Was... Was he wearing the belt at the time?

quote:

Takagi, the 999th champion, attempts to retire the championship but is knocked out by Poison Sawada with the belt, which falls on the chest of Takagi; the referee counts for the pinfall, making the belt the 1000th champion.

Also my favorite; the time the title changed because because the loser had a dream wherein he was defeated

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

prefect posted:

Plato's Retreat was a swingers club in New York, so maybe that's what this is.

You're overthinking it

http://www.platoscloset.com/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Question IRL posted:

If it's anything it is probably a reference to Plato's Republic which talks about the concepts of the real and metaphysical world and uses the analogy of a man in the cave.
But it is totally a callback to the 90's Hideo Kojima game Snatchers where Plato's Cave was a bar you went to as part of the case.

My dumb rear end thought it was a reference to the resale clothing store Plato's Closet. Don't know if they even have those outside of Michigan.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Say Nothing posted:

About the belt

God I hope an inanimate carbon rod won

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

My dumb rear end thought it was a reference to the resale clothing store Plato's Closet. Don't know if they even have those outside of Michigan.

There's at least one in Boston that I know of, fwiw

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Open Marriage Night posted:

There's one here in Arkansas. Never been in it though. Sort of assumed it'd be a little too pricy for me.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Except here "Plato's Cave" is showing "Tronk 2" so it;s clearly a movie theatre.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ferrule posted:

Except here "Plato's Cave" is showing "Tronk 2" so it;s clearly a movie theatre.

So it's definitely an Allegory of the Cave joke.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Plato's Allegory of The Cave, also they are cavemen and everything is rock and cave puns.

Not everything needs to have 50 layers of meaning.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maybe you're underthinking it. :smuggo:

Yes I read Plato's "Republic" in college. I'm just goofing around, jeez.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I will admit that "Homo Erectus" got a laugh out of me, I guess I never quite outgrew middle school.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ManlyGrunting posted:

I will admit that "Homo Erectus" got a laugh out of me, I guess I never quite outgrew middle school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OoOiKrND0

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

I can't stop laughing at the idea of even bringing Thundercracker, a Transformer, on a human-scale ops mission. This is from the newer GI Joe Transformers crossover, right?

It's from the Transformers: Revolution oneshot, where Revolution is IDW's big event Hasbro property shared universe crossover for the season. Dire wraiths from Rom Spaceknight are attacking the White House, and previously occurring Transformers characters Giant Blue Jetman and Gunshooty Lady are trying to be bad enough dudes to rescue the President.

Tom Scioli's GI Joe vs Transformers is a different continuity altogether.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Also in the IDW Transformers continuity, Thundercracker is a colossal dork with a cute dog and atrocious screenwriting chops who's decided to live on Earth because he was never 100% into the war and fell in love with human culture (soap operas in particular).

The Transformers: Robots in Disguise #28

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Thundercracker is truly a dreamweaver, a visionary.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Thundercracker also stars along with his adorable dog Buster in his own Christmas special which is his turn at writing a children's story but ends up becoming film noir and attempting to murder Father Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Retro Futurist posted:

Plato's Allegory of The Cave, also they are cavemen and everything is rock and cave puns.

That was the joke I was making, yeah, I thought Plato's Allegory of the Cave was one of those things that everybody had at least heard about v:shobon:v