Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is there any measurable difference between a cheap $20 airbrush that has all the good features (like dual action, gravity fed, internal mix etc) vs an expensive $200 airbrush? Things like less likely to clog, easier to clean, can handle thicker paint, or is it all for the XTREME PATRIOT BOOTYSMASHER advertising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
XTREME PATRIOT BOOTYSMASHER is a good username

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hamshot posted:

Is there any measurable difference between a cheap $20 airbrush that has all the good features (like dual action, gravity fed, internal mix etc) vs an expensive $200 airbrush? Things like less likely to clog, easier to clean, can handle thicker paint, or is it all for the XTREME PATRIOT BOOTYSMASHER advertising?

the cheaper airbrushes are usually chinese clones of the more expensive ones, and they will generally do well for broad airbrush effects. Where the prices start to differentiate the two is when it comes to maintenance and durability; the more expensive ones will typically be much easier to maintain than the cheaper ones, as a result of first-cast parts vs. old reused molds, and general support from the manufacturer for its lines.

They're all airbrushes though, so they're all going to be finnicky assholes that require lots of cleaning.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Cheap knock-off quality on some of the devilishly small threads an airbrush have could be a recipe for crossthreading disaster. Especially since you will frequently be dismantling and reassembling for cleaning. Although if you get up to like the $200 you're in a different marketplace of ultrafine detail airbrushes that you probably don't need or want for learning on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hamshot posted:

Same thing but made 20x better and not jamming as much. I'd recommend a cheapo brush to learn basic cleaning, stripping etc. on and moving to a better one later on when you know what you want and how to handle the hardware without breaking a tiny part that'll cost more than the whole cheap brush.

Or just stay with the knockoff, depending on what you want it for. It's good for priming, basecoating and varnishing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goodness posted:

Do they go on sale for less than $80 often?

I picked mine up for about £30, not sure what US sellers are up to but they all come out of the same factory in china so set an alert I guess.

Pierzak posted:

Same thing but made 20x better and not jamming as much. I'd recommend a cheapo brush to learn basic cleaning, stripping etc. on and moving to a better one later on when you know what you want and how to handle the hardware without breaking a tiny part that'll cost more than the whole cheap brush.

Or just stay with the knockoff, depending on what you want it for. It's good for priming, basecoating and varnishing.

Yeah, pretty much this. Parts availability on the cheap brushes is also dire, its often cheaper to get a whole new brush if you bend the needle or mess something up. I dropped a cheap one on to a table top from about 2ft up and the front of the spray nozzle broke clean off leaving the other half threaded on the brush and intact. I'm fairly sure I could use my Patriot 105 as an improvised club and still get a decent spray pattern out of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Personally I use dried herbs for foliage and dried tea granules from used teabags for soil (mix various kinds for a more natural looking variety of soil types) with a VERY small amount of static grass

How many times have you accidentally tried to eat one of your brownie bases?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thats a mean thing to say

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They look amazingly delicious.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

I read this thread for painting ideas, but now I want brownies.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

His earlier attempts were much brownie-er.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

His earlier attempts were much brownie-er.

good times

Moola posted:

So I tried creating a homemade mud mixture instead of buying GW's pot'o mud (:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:)

I mixed pva glue, flour and brown paint

Ended up looking more like a delecious chocolate brownie :chef:

Moola posted:

So I tried to do some mud effects again

New attempts!:

Also tried a cavalry base for KoW

Much happier with the consistency, and looks less like a chocolate brownie so far

Thoughts, comments, suggestions????

Moola posted:

Defeinitely gonna try this on my next base!

Meanwhile I browned the rocks and now it looks like chocolate cake

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why not just go with the brownie bases? The Gungerbread Wauugh! Tomb World: Candyland. Astartes Delectamentum.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Nothing was better than grandma's bases. As soon as we stepped into the kitchen, you'd see hundreds of them freshly baked, gently flocked and precisely ranked. Each of us got a movement tray's worth.

Grandma's gone now, but her bases don't have to be. Moola's Easy Bake Bases™

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

All three of those make me hungry every time. I still want to see some little candy canes and gummi plants on those bases.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

All three of those make me hungry every time. I still want to see some little candy canes and gummi plants on those bases.

definitely a thing I want to do at some point

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Smh if your first bases, painted or flocked, dont look like baked goods

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ijyt posted:

I want to see a tray of brownies with some edible rank and file dudes.

Did I read somewhere that someone was 3D printing candy or was that a delicious dream?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whoops double post.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
(Dammit, Moola, now I'm all hungry. Those bases look scrumptious!)

So! Remember how we've discussed the notion of 3D printing taking over the miniatures market? Well, I went and bought myself a birthday present recently, in the form of a Hero Forge mini. Using their in-browser CAD toolset, I designed a half-orc that looked like this on the proof screen:

And after a surprisingly fast delivery (about a week and a half!), here's how it turned out:

This was printed up by Shapeways in their new "sturdy grey" high-detail, high-durability plastic material. You can see some production glitches. There are "gates" and little overshoots of the plastic filament in odd places on the mini, especially in hard-to-reach areas like under the cloak and the base of the robe. The front of the robe has a noticeable step mark across it, offsetting that portion of the robe by about 1/16" of an inch. And the staff is slightly bent. So it's not perfect. But these are minor issues on what is overall a nicely detailed piece, with a very smooth surface texture that shows close to zero print stepping (apart from the glitches, of course). The whole thing looks astoundingly close to my original design. I'm confident that, after a light scrub in dishsoap, some very tiny filing/greenstuffing of that one offset, and a dunk of the staff in hot water to straighten it out, this little guy will be ready to receive primer and paint.

The only downside is, this single piece cost $30.00 to cast in this material. So production is not quite to the balancing point of material/labor that will Put Miniatures Companies Out Of Business With This One Weird Trick (Games Workshop Hates Him!), but at least making a mini that is definitively your own is doable now, for a not-unreasonable price point. Plus, many big miniature companies are actually using similar forms of CAD-to-master-to-mold processes these days; Hero Forge just brings the process down to the consumer level. (...Wow, I sound like I've been bitten by a were-marketing-wolf.)

Thought you might find that interesting! And now I'm going to pass out in preparation for the Extra Life game-a-thon tomorrow.

e.: Yes, that's a wakizashi on his belt. One of the issues with HF's design toolbox (and there are several, including clipping issues, weird-item-positioning problems, and look-mom-that-hair-goes-right-through-his-helmet syndrome) is that the number and types of items you can attach to the model is still limited. Even though you can have your model wield a wicked khopesh in either or both hands, they don't have a scimitar model that could be hung on his belt, so I had to make do. (He's a druid, y'see. Nobody makes half-orc druids that look at all reasonable.)

e2.: Even if you don't plan to buy anything from Hero Forge, I still recommend playing around with their designer. The website lets you save screenshots of your designs, so it's great for making a character portrait to insert into a PDF character sheet for Your Favorite RPG. For example, the baseball-capped version of this guy I've had the urge to make for the past couple of days for some reason cubswin.

e3.: Mushrooms. Those are mushrooms on his base. ...No reason.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The only downside is, this single piece cost $30.00 to cast in this material. So production is not quite to the balancing point of material/labor that will Put Miniatures Companies Out Of Business With This One Weird Trick (Games Workshop Hates Him!), but at least making a mini that is definitively your own is doable now, for a not-unreasonable price point. Plus, many big miniature companies are actually using similar forms of CAD-to-master-to-mold processes these days; Hero Forge just brings the process down to the consumer level. (...Wow, I sound like I've been bitten by a were-marketing-wolf.)
That's slightly under double what GW charges for a similar plastic figure, which is pretty good. Obviously still too expensive, but could see prices going down from that, and/or GW using the same tech to print in store.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's slightly under double what GW charges for a similar plastic figure, which is pretty good. Obviously still too expensive, but could see prices going down from that, and/or GW using the same tech to print in store.

The cheapest plastic I can find on their shop after a bit of looking is an Eldar Farseer at $20 (I'm excluding the snap-fit "learn to paint" figures), and most character models are $30. This isn't so much to argue against 3d printing models as it is to underscore just how expensive GW kits are.

I'm not sure 3d printing one-offs will ever be the primary way to get miniatures, but for unique figures, it's definitely a workable option today if you're willing to deal with some rough edges.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So i'm thinking of finally making the plunge into airbrushing now while I have some disposable income before I move. The post about airbrushing on the first page mentions the Sparmax TC-620X as a great but affordable compressor, but I can't seem to find one below $360. Anyone have a recommendation for a decent compressor in the $200-$250 price range here in the states?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know if I should thank you for the awesome link, or blame you for making today unproductive. Even as limited as it is (I first tried to make a gnoll knight, but theres only wolf heads and human legs) it's still insanely fun to play with. The moment their ultra detail plastic drops to $20 I'm getting this printed:

Wish I could justify this post with some thread content, but right now I'm just attempting to make a mold of the Infinity Spec-Ops Shasvatii (which wouldn't be too interesting to see, just a mini & accessories halfway into some silicone).

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross-post, finished up a Carnifex today, big thanks to goon Thundercloud who sold me this one:

And with his big sister :3::

Having a lot of fun doing these, it's pretty refreshing after doing a lot of SM and Tau stuff. I went a bit less crazy with the snow on the base this time compared to the Trygon, I'm curious which look you guys prefer though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are there any airbrush paints that look a lot like Reaper's Surf Aqua? I really like the color, but it's kind of a pain to use with airbrushes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still a WIP and I've got no place where I can take a decent picture, but I feel real good about changing my color scheme on these Tau to something brighter.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Still a WIP and I've got no place where I can take a decent picture, but I feel real good about changing my color scheme on these Tau to something brighter.

If you want to take a decent picture just get a desk lamp and a piece of white paper and you can do pretty okay. You might want two lamps, but you don't need a professional lightbox or anything just to take pictures of models.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cross-post, finished up a Carnifex today, big thanks to goon Thundercloud who sold me this one:

And with his big sister :3::

Having a lot of fun doing these, it's pretty refreshing after doing a lot of SM and Tau stuff. I went a bit less crazy with the snow on the base this time compared to the Trygon, I'm curious which look you guys prefer though.

Never stop posting cool painted stuff

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

If you want to take a decent picture just get a desk lamp and a piece of white paper and you can do pretty okay. You might want two lamps, but you don't need a professional lightbox or anything just to take pictures of models.
I have no desk lamp. I've got a stand lamp that I have to kind of crane around and would have to prop up a bunch of paper but I may give it a shot when I'm done.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
There was a D&D and Blizzard mashup way back that resulted in a bunch of horrible models including a raven, a demon lady, and ... something else. But what this box was really worth for was this guy who I just finished zentinial priming.

*one second, forgot to resize the image. It's the butcher.

He already looks badass.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 7, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

How about this?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

How about this?

Yeah, that's a lot nicer. I ran it through some levels in Photoshop just to take out the yellow and brighten it up a little; Picasa has that feature too but I've never used it, some goons use it plenty though.

As for the actual models, they look good! That teal is appealing, but I'd pick out the icons on their shoulders in another color. Something like the classic Tau white and black would work for those, or you could go for the contrast and use a little orange.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think they both look killer. It's a little hard to tell that you even used less of the snow on the carnifex. I think I like the sparseness a bit more.

TDOM
Apr 4, 2002
This is a test model to see if I could actually create a red metallic look I liked for my Word Bearers. Eventhough I see all the errors and flaws in the picture I'm pretty happy about how it turned out. Might try some more shading with nuln oil and some small touch-ups though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You've definitely landed on a great colour yeah! Only thing I'd do is a controlled shade in the crevices like you said and maybe some weathering.

vvv: aw man that's beautiful.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm currently keeping myself busy while waiting for my dropfleet pledge. I got an extra starter box to tide me over.

On the weekend i did two colour tests on leftover cruiser parts.

I settled on the dark one pretty quickly but what really completed it for me was the engine glow i tried out tonight.

On one hand i'm now super excited to paint some spaceships on the other i kinda want to wait for the pledge to arrive so i can airbrush everything in one go.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
First models I've painted in about 3 or 4 years. It sure is tough getting back into the swing of things. Feel like everything I do is sloppy and takes a million years to come close to a finished product.

I know I still have some clean up to do on them but what else would y'all recommend?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bistromatic posted:

I'm currently keeping myself busy while waiting for my dropfleet pledge. I got an extra starter box to tide me over.

On the weekend i did two colour tests on leftover cruiser parts.

I settled on the dark one pretty quickly but what really completed it for me was the engine glow i tried out tonight.

On one hand i'm now super excited to paint some spaceships on the other i kinda want to wait for the pledge to arrive so i can airbrush everything in one go.

Feel free to do a step by step tutorial when you do it. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That glow is fantastic. What colors did you use?