Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

I've heard that one of the many conclusions of WWII was that whomever could put more lead in the air was generally the victor of any engagement. Is there anything to that?

To a degree, but the Korean war is where NATO encounters the AK47 as a standard infantry rifle while our guys are all equipped with semi-automatics and realises 'oh gently caress we need to up our game fast'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Alchenar posted:

To a degree, but the Korean war is where NATO encounters the AK47 as a standard infantry rifle while our guys are all equipped with semi-automatics and realises 'oh gently caress we need to up our game fast'.

No, most of what was encountered was World War Two surplus, just like our poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

I've heard that one of the many conclusions of WWII was that whomever could put more lead in the air was generally the victor of any engagement. Is there anything to that?

When you're talking killing people through gunfire (as opposed to air strikes or artillery, which well-supplied forces with excellent logistics like the Americans love), putting a lot of lead in the air works because you're not actually killing people from afar most of the time. You can be engaging an enemy squad 100 meters away, but chances are you're not trying to kill them by picking them off with carefully aimed headshots as each of you peeks out from cover. Generally you're firing a ton of rounds to keep them suppressed while a smaller force gets in close on the flank and takes them out with grenades and automatic weapons. Miraculously hitting someone in the face is practically accidental with how hard it is to hit someone behind cover (especially while you're under fire yourself).

And of course, this presupposes that you aren't just going to sit behind cover and call in an air strike or mortars on the enemy position so you don't need to put in any effort.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

No, most of what was encountered was World War Two surplus, just like our poo poo.

To include the PPSh mind you. The Soviet Union loved its SMGs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also to add on to my post there, the closer the combat you're in the more firepower you want to put out. The US had a huge advantage against the Japanese in that they had tons of automatic weapons, from semi-auto rifles to submachine guns and the BAR. The Japanese almost exclusively had bolt-action rifles and larger machine guns (which aren't incredibly mobile in ambushes or sudden jungle encounters, especially ones like the Type 92) and only issued SMGs in small numbers, and they never got a working design for a semi-auto rifle out before the war ended. This meant that not account for machine guns, the US forces typically had a great advantage in raw firepower in close engagements where it came down to that. If you meet someone in a doorway and you've got a Thompson and he's got a long bolt-action rifle with a bayonet, you're probably going to have the upper hand when both of you start attacking.

The only times you'll really want a large, heavy rifle firing powerful rounds that are accurate out to 800 meters is when you're actually fighting at those distances, like in Afghanistan. Even then, you'll likely rely more on cannons, artillery, and air strikes than the average soldier's ability to snipe people with single shots from the opposite side of a village.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Also while your rifle might be able to hit something at 800 meters I highly doubt that the vast majority of infantrymen could aim well enough to do so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From my understanding of the modern fighting in Afghanistan, the soldiers are requesting things like 7.62x51mm rifles because they want added power at range, but they're not expected to be Call of Duty snipers popping heads across a football field during gunfights. They're still making heavy use of explosives and outside support from a distance and having to close the gap and fight up close when the enemy is dug in too deep to bomb.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also while your rifle might be able to hit something at 800 meters I highly doubt that the vast majority of infantrymen could aim well enough to do so.

Sir, do you impugn the expert marksmanship of the american rahfleman?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
People have a hosed up view of what long arms are supposed to achieve in the majority of cases. Usually you're shooting at things or known positions, not people. You have a fire element to pin the enemy and a maneuver element to flank. The fire element is trying to disrupt the enemy and pin them in place. Most shooting is sort of aimed.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People have a hosed up view of what long arms are supposed to achieve in the majority of cases. Usually you're shooting at things or known positions, not people. You have a fire element to pin the enemy and a maneuver element to flank. The fire element is trying to disrupt the enemy and pin them in place. Most shooting is sort of aimed.

Mah granpappy fought in the war and he said he got three Germans right a'tween the eyes at Normandie and Guadalcanal. You callin' mah granpappy a liar?

(this is what some Americans actually believe)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a video with a bunch of helmet cam footage of US soldiers in Afghanistan. It should give you a good idea of exactly how well you can see the individual soldiers you're shooting at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2mQyMyZKio

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

From my understanding of the modern fighting in Afghanistan, the soldiers are requesting things like 7.62x51mm rifles because they want added power at range, but they're not expected to be Call of Duty snipers popping heads across a football field during gunfights. They're still making heavy use of explosives and outside support from a distance and having to close the gap and fight up close when the enemy is dug in too deep to bomb.

From that paper I referenced earlier:

quote:

Combat in Afghanistan has shown several trends. The enemy takes advantage of the terrain and engages patrols or convoys from high ground. He also combines this advantage with heavy weapons systems and mortars from a distance, typically beyond 300 meters.6 From the infantryman’s perspective, he attempts to fix the enemy, since his equipment limits his ability to maneuver, and attempts to kill the enemy through close air support (CAS), close combat attack, (CCA) or indirect fire.

Once contact is made, the fight is limited to machine gunners, mortars and designated marksmen. In the table of organization for a light infantry company8 only the six –M240B 7.62-mm machineguns, two- 60-mm mortars and nine designated marksman armed with either 7.62-mm M14 rifles or accurized 5.56-mm M16A4’s rifles are able to effectively engage the enemy. These weapons systems represent 19 percent of the company’s firepower. This means that 81 percent of the company has little effect on the fight.

It's not just the power of the rifle. If you have an M4, you're not delivering effective fire out to that range. If you have a full-length M16, but you're only trained to shoot out to 300m you're not hitting out at those engagement ranges. The designated marksmen with full-length barrels, who are trained to shoot out to 600 yards can.

The point of being able to deliver effective fire at those ranges isn't to hit the guy in the head and kill him, it's to present a credible threat and keep him pinned down because he's taking cover because he doesn't want to get shot, and then to maneuver while he's pinned down and either get close and kill him or just keep him there long enough for artillery or CAS to kill him. If he can just maneuver with impunity and keep shooting at you beyond the effective range of your weapons and only a couple dozen guys in your entire company can reach out to him, that's a bad situation to be in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

From that paper I referenced earlier:

It's not just the power of the rifle. If you have an M4, you're not delivering effective fire out to that range. If you have a full-length M16, but you're only trained to shoot out to 300m you're not hitting out at those engagement ranges. The designated marksmen with full-length barrels, who are trained to shoot out to 600 yards can.

The point of being able to deliver effective fire at those ranges isn't to hit the guy in the head and kill him, it's to present a credible threat and keep him pinned down because he's taking cover because he doesn't want to get shot, and then to maneuver while he's pinned down and either get close and kill him or just keep him there long enough for artillery or CAS to kill him. If he can just maneuver with impunity and keep shooting at you beyond the effective range of your weapons and only a couple dozen guys in your entire company can reach out to him, that's a bad situation to be in.

What's being classed as "effective fire" here? Is it landing rounds within a certain distance of the enemy or is it killing power? Because an M4 may not be blowing lungs to shreds with one bullet at 300 meters, but I'd expect the mechanical accuracy of the rifle to be capable of landing at least near the target with a trained soldier. Insurgents can't tell the difference between an M4 and an M14 when the bullets are just hitting rocks nearby and think "Oh, that gun probably won't kill me if I get hit!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure that you can tell the difference between small caliber and intermediate caliber rifle fire but I haven't been directly shot at so I'm not a great source.

You'll notice that in the helmet video everyone is calling out things that they are shooting at (ruins, treelines, various sectors and directions).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

What's being classed as "effective fire" here? Is it landing rounds within a certain distance of the enemy or is it killing power? Because an M4 may not be blowing lungs to shreds with one bullet at 300 meters, but I'd expect the mechanical accuracy of the rifle to be capable of landing at least near the target with a trained soldier. Insurgents can't tell the difference between an M4 and an M14 when the bullets are just hitting rocks nearby and think "Oh, that gun probably won't kill me if I get hit!"

It's a pretty legitimate issue dude it's from a Leavenworth paper. It's not some retard just spouting bullshit.

Insurgents definitely know the approximate composition of an American infantry squad in terms of weapons, and they know the effectiveness of those weapons. As a result, they've adopted tactics and weapons that minimize the American's advantage in short range firepower.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Afghanistan was a tricky, and arguably somewhat unique, situation for three reasons: terrain, altitude, and ROE.

Practically every small arms engagement I was a part of consisted of us wandering around like idiots until we got shot at (the technical term for this a "patrol"). At that point your objective transitions from wandering about like an idiot to shooting in the general direction of something until it goes away. The Taliban were very good at choosing ambush sites with things like elevation advantages and defilade, and unlike cool armies they almost never had any interest in closing with and destroying their opponents in close combat - they'd instead just shoot from distance until they ran out of ammo, hope they racked up a couple of KIA/WIA, and then bail. So, if you wanted to win the fight, you had to win this long distance shooting engagement, either with your organic weapons, or with fires of some sort. Small arms are kind of lovely, which is why historically we've preferred fires for this kind of thing. However:

The altitude and terrain often precluded the use of massed indirect fire (you can't get that many howitzers or rounds for howitzers up in Assfartawak Pass, plus we got rid of a whole host of artillery formations in order to have more guys to kick down doors in Baghdad), rotary wing often can't fly in high/hot/windy/cloudy/slightly less than perfectly ideal conditions, and fixed wing CAS is sporadic and heavily restrained by ROE, so we can't solve the problem with HE or other things in the same way we have in other conflicts. Which means, in an awful lot of cases, you're left to solving the problem with your small arms and company mortars, and those things aren't very good at solving such problems.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Marine Corps decided to go with just m4s for infantry units

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the common motifs of officers complaining about less well trained troops was that they weren't willing to shoot things they didn't think they could hit, so a good part of remedial training is to teach men to take part in area fire.

Also in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, the NVA/taliban/etc learned to just randomly shoot with a single mortar tube or recoilless rifle from outside small arms range to force a patrol into a combat deployment.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

FastestGunAlive posted:

Marine Corps decided to go with just m4s for infantry units

because its difficult to shoulder and fire a fixed stock m16 in body armor and its hard to maneuver a 20" barrel in vehicles and buildings

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can tell the difference between small caliber and intermediate caliber rifle fire but I haven't been directly shot at so I'm not a great source.

no you cant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You hear the crack of the bullet and you duck I would assume, rather than interrogating exactly what manner of armament is producing it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

You can if you have the time to perform an autopsy on your buddy.

quote:

You hear the crack of the bullet and you duck I would assume, rather than interrogating exactly what manner of armament is producing it.
Also once the firefight is on your hearing is impaired. In Heartbreak Ridge :clint: told us that the AK has a distinctive sound, and sure helps situational awareness to be able to recognize distant sounds of gunfire - but once you're under fire it's a moot point.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 5, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nebakenezzer posted:

• Wallenstien runs away with lots of money

• Somebody is threatened by somebody pointing to a window

• A raised army demoralizes a noble, first by doing nothing, and then by draining his wine cellar of 30K florins worth of booze

:lol: Yeah I would be demoralized as well.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Nenonen posted:

You can if you have time to perform an autopsy on your buddy.

calipers are on the gear list

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, exactly what reaction do you think a Taliban insurgent would have to being shot at by an M4 at long range?

"It's okay guys! Those bullets are only traveling with enough energy to cause painful and crippling but likely non-fatal wounds! Just ignore it and keep firing!"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

because its difficult to shoulder and fire a fixed stock m16 in body armor and its hard to maneuver a 20" barrel in vehicles and buildings

Yep they decided to take a small loss in range to have something more maneuverable and convenient

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kind of amazing that the situations the coalition forces found themselves in in Afghanistan are exactly the same as those the British found almost 150 years previously.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lenoon posted:

Kind of amazing that the situations the coalition forces found themselves in in Afghanistan are exactly the same as those the British found almost 150 years previously.

How did the British try and solve the issue?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Boiled Water posted:

They left.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Possibly the only way it is resolvable without attempting to systematically depopulate the country via remote strikes. Oh. Bugger.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In retrospect, the great game as it was called really got out of hand. The first time in Afghanistan for the British Army did not end well and it is bizzarely constantly ignored.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Mah granpappy fought in the war and he said he got three Germans right a'tween the eyes at Normandie and Guadalcanal. You callin' mah granpappy a liar?

(this is what some Americans actually believe)

I work at a bookstore in Oklahoma, and had a woman buy some WW2 book a while back. She made an offhand comment about how her grandfather had helped liberate Auschwitz, so I said it was pretty cool that she'd had a family member in the Red Army*.

"No, he was at Auschwitz, in Germany."

* I'm aware it wasn't called the Red Army by then.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dublish posted:

I work at a bookstore in Oklahoma, and had a woman buy some WW2 book a while back. She made an offhand comment about how her grandfather had helped liberate Auschwitz, so I said it was pretty cool that she'd had a family member in the Red Army*.

didn't it change the the name after the war?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dublish posted:

Most Americans don't even know basic facts about the Holocaust, like how prisoners were only given number tattoos at Auschwitz.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hey Hey Gal, the PYF historical fact wants early modern fashion.

I mean I want it and it's on topic there.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

Hey Hey Gal, the PYF historical fact wants early modern fashion.

I mean I want it and it's on topic there.

+1

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

To be fair to the grandfather, that is more likely a case of broken telephone - maybe the pops had at some point mentioned that he'd seen some camp or the other, and idiot relatives then spun a tale of it.

But even veterans lie, sometimes just for kicks

Hieronymus Karl Friedrich

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nenonen posted:

To be fair to the grandfather, that is more likely a case of broken telephone - maybe the pops had at some point mentioned that he'd seen some camp or the other, and idiot relatives then spun a tale of it.

But even veterans lie, sometimes just for kicks

Hieronymus Karl Friedrich

Heck, might even be that it was Auschwitz and he or the relatives didn't realise they were in Poland and not Germany. I wouldn't count on a random draftee/conscript's geography knowledge in 1945 being all that great.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

The second time around, in the 1870s, by booting out the extant king, installing their own, vaguely promising to protect Afghanistan from the Russians in return for a vague promise not to raid the North West Frontier too much, announcing that Afghanistan's foreign affairs were administered by Britain, and leaving. It worked until the 1920s.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The second time around, in the 1870s, by booting out the extant king, installing their own, vaguely promising to protect Afghanistan from the Russians in return for a vague promise not to raid the North West Frontier too much, announcing that Afghanistan's foreign affairs were administered by Britain, and leaving. It worked until the 1920s.

would you mind posting more about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've read about how the German Blitzkrieg was fueled not only by gas but also by meth, and how the Fnnish long range patrols were using the same poo poo, but how much did the other countries use drugs for military purposes?