Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

and alumicutters :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yesterday I found out that something I had described to a few people now has a name: aphantasia (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054).

Basically I cant visualize anything graphically when I close my eyes (or with open eyes). Take a beach for example, if I tell you to image a carribean beach, you'll probably see a picture pop up in your head with white sand beaches, turquoise water, some palm trees, big bootied ladies chilling under the scorching sun, you get the idea. I dont.

I know what it looks like, but I dont see it in my head. I see the idea of the beach. I can't really explain it better, read the article.

e: here have a cat pic

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they come in a bunch of colors but i as a sucker for design tools bought a black anniversary one a decade earlier

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

El Laucha posted:

Yesterday I found out that something I had described to a few people now has a name: aphantasia (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054).

Basically I cant visualize anything graphically when I close my eyes (or with open eyes). Take a beach for example, if I tell you to image a carribean beach, you'll probably see a picture pop up in your head with white sand beaches, turquoise water, some palm trees, big bootied ladies chilling under the scorching sun, you get the idea. I dont.

I know what it looks like, but I dont see it in my head. I see the idea of the beach. I can't really explain it better, read the article.

i have this too but afaik it used to be called "one of the symptoms of autism"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El Laucha posted:

I don't have your brain sickness but no, I don't see a picture pop up and I doubt anyone else does either. That's not how it works.

e: Having read that article a bit I'm not even sure aphantasia exists. It's more likely just a question of semantics.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 4, 2016

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't have your brain sickness but no, I don't see a picture pop up and I doubt anyone else does either. That's not how it works.

um.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

El Laucha posted:

same

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: Having read that article a bit I'm not even sure aphantasia exists. It's more likely just a question of semantics.

Uh, all of the people I've talked about this can picture stuff in their head. All I see if I close my eyes is darkness, and nothing ever materializes as an image. My gf is the exact opposite, if I tell her to picture a beach she is practically there.

They are just beggining to study this so who knows, maybe this is due to some head injury from when I was little. I've lived like this all my life so its not really a game changer, just nice that they gave it a name.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 4, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Laucha posted:

i think i have that about halfway

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

anthonypants posted:

i think my favorite toothpastefordinner is probably this one

the ambien walrus ones are the best

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

El Laucha posted:

Article about the aphantasia and hyperphantasia spectrum

Which one do I put one my resume?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El Laucha posted:

Uh, all of the people I've talked about this can picture stuff in their head. All I see if I close my eyes is darkness, and nothing ever materializes as an image. My gf is the exact opposite, if I tell her to picture a beach she is practically there.

The problem here is there's absolutely no way to research this or in any way understand what is actually happening in someone else's mind when they say they "see" something in their mind because all you're getting is tainted by language. I would never describe visual (again, for lack of a better word) aspects of what I can imagine as "pictures" but I would also never describe them as "not pictures". But I readily recognize that someone else might even if they are having exactly the same experience as I am.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Actually there is, with brain scans.

Here is another article http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/science/aphantasia-minds-eye-blind.html?_r=0

It talks about a 65 year old dude who went for a heart surgery and after it he lost the ability to see stuff in his head. They scanned his brain and confirmed it.

quote:

In 2005, a 65-year-old retired building inspector paid a visit to the neurologist Adam Zeman at the University of Exeter Medical School. After a minor surgical procedure, the man — whom Dr. Zeman and his colleagues refer to as MX — suddenly realized he could no longer conjure images in his mind.

Dr. Zeman couldn’t find any description of such a condition in medical literature. But he found MX’s case intriguing. For decades, scientists had debated how the mind’s eye works, and how much we rely on it to store memories and to make plans for the future.

MX agreed to a series of examinations. He proved to have a good memory for a man of his age, and he performed well on problem-solving tests. His only unusual mental feature was an inability to see mental images.

Dr. Zeman and his colleagues then scanned MX’s brain as he performed certain tasks. First, MX looked at faces of famous people and named them. The scientists found that certain regions of his brain became active, the same ones that become active in other people who look at faces.

Then the scientists showed names to MX and asked him to picture their faces. In normal brains, some of those face-recognition regions again become active. In MX’s brain, none of them did.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
I find it hard to animate my imagination.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El Laucha posted:

Actually there is, with brain scans.

Here is another article http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/science/aphantasia-minds-eye-blind.html?_r=0

It talks about a 65 year old dude who went for a heart surgery and after it he lost the ability to see stuff in his head. They scanned his brain and confirmed it.

I didn't think about this. Losing the ability to imagine things in a certain way would certainly be noticeable to oneself.

BLT Clobbers posted:

I can't imagine (:lol:) wanking it to a stationary idea of Susanna Hoffs.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BLT Clobbers posted:

Try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jcxsE1Ahg

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're really, really late with this one. But I'm sure there's room in the ultra-luxury ruler market as long as you're Japanese or German or make up a Japanesey or Germane brand name. Possibly Swiss will do it. Swedish is a niche because most stationary hipsters don't know what a Sweden is.

Sagebrush posted:

digital ruler for ipads

you put it on your ipad scren and rotate it and it creates a virtual constraint that snaps the pen to a line

also it's a little pebble shaped thing so you can't use it as a real ruler

No, these are all terrible. I'm talking ULTRA luxury. I'm thinking like make it out of titanium, give it some holes or poo poo for weight reduction and it doesnt' have any markings like a das keyboard or fretless bass.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

The problem here is there's absolutely no way to research this or in any way understand what is actually happening in someone else's mind when they say they "see" something in their mind because all you're getting is tainted by language. I would never describe visual (again, for lack of a better word) aspects of what I can imagine as "pictures" but I would also never describe them as "not pictures".
the best way i can describe this is that i very rarely have dreams, but when i do it feels like i dream in emotions and memories, but not in images. it's also really hard for me to reconstruct the faces of people just from memory, even when they're family members and i should be extremely familiar with their faces, but that isn't to say i have a problem recognizing familiar faces.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

No, these are all terrible. I'm talking ULTRA luxury. I'm thinking like make it out of titanium, give it some holes or poo poo for weight reduction and it doesnt' have any markings like a das keyboard or fretless bass.

Yeah I'm about 100% certain this has all been done. I went through a lot of terrible hipster web stores when I was looking for a new desk tray.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Salt Fish posted:

jaco pastorius created his first fretless bass by pulling the frets out with a pair of pliers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
jaco pastorius also used to eat a bucket of fried chicken and not wash his hands, so his fingers would slide over the bass strings

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I'm about 100% certain this has all been done. I went through a lot of terrible hipster web stores when I was looking for a new desk tray.

This one is much more expensive which speaks to the refinement and quality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anthonypants posted:

the best way i can describe this is that i very rarely have dreams, but when i do it feels like i dream in emotions and memories, but not in images. it's also really hard for me to reconstruct the faces of people just from memory, even when they're family members and i should be extremely familiar with their faces, but that isn't to say i have a problem recognizing familiar faces.

Oh OK maybe you do have brain problems vOv When you say "reconstruct" what exactly do you mean?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Salt Fish posted:

led markings

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

This one is much more expensive which speaks to the refinement and quality.

Sell it here: http://www.presentandcorrect.com/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nice we should get lowtax this paper: http://www.presentandcorrect.com/collections/ephemera/products/german-bacon-paper-1970s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You know YOSMAS is just around the corner, right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

36 loving £

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

one example i saw once is to close your eyes, imagine a stop sign, and count the edges. some people can't do that even though they know what a stop sign looks like because they can't 'see' it

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I have a similar problem with faces. I've been living with my gf for like 3 years now, and I see her everyday and I know what her face looks like. But if I close my eyes and try to imagine her I see nothing, but I know what she looks like. Type of hair, nose, eye color, face roundness, etc. I can describe her, but I cant see her in my head.

What I find interesting is that if I take a good dose of lsd/shrooms I get full blown closed/open eye visuals and I can see whatever the hell I want in my mind, full technicolor.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/pizzasbatepapo/status/794615364634243072

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Open the blood gates."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
how about that blizzcon folks

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/794616670530641920

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
goddamn

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

these exist already & cost even more than standard jagoff gimmick market prices

Graff
May 10, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Where are you getting these?

some gabber documentary my mate is obsessing over

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Laucha posted:

What I find interesting is that if I take a good dose of lsd/shrooms I get full blown closed/open eye visuals and I can see whatever the hell I want in my mind, full technicolor.

Looks like you've solved your problem mate :shroom:

• Locked thread