Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, why are they "open romantically, not open sexually" if they don't have sex with each other

She's okay with him dating other women and doing the same thing with them as he does with her as long as he never gets laid, what the hell is happening here

It's gotta be Jesus here, she's trying to "save" him from sexhaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That woman is an idiot. Oh no, my boyfriend doesn't want to be celibate. How can I make him override all of his biological functions so he's as broken as I am?

I don't think it's religion; this woman won't even give him a handy, and we all know Jesus is cool with that. She strikes me as the type that feels celibacy makes her more enlightened or some poo poo.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Leon Einstein posted:

That woman is an idiot. Oh no, my boyfriend doesn't want to be celibate. How can I make him override all of his biological functions so he's as broken as I am?
He's equally an idiot by getting into a relationship with someone saying she's celibate on the first date and hoping his desire of sex will just naturally go away with time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is literally impossible to have a monogamous relationship and meet in the middle if one party is non-sexual. In every single instance, the sex wanter is assuming they can convert their partner.

E: But do keep us posted if there are any updates. I wanna see where this one goes.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 4, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think it's religion; this woman won't even give him a handy, and we all know Jesus is cool with that. She strikes me as the type that feels celibacy makes her more enlightened or some poo poo.

Then why wouldn't she let him have sex with any of the other women she's apparently okay with him dating? This is the dumbest relationship premise I've ever heard.

One more thing and I'll shut up about this one, notice she's calling him "hypersexual" for having sexual urges after staying celibate with her for 4 loving months, as a 23-year-old man. If this girl isn't a super-sheltered Christian-homeschool girl I don't know what to say.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I'm [F19] celibate and my partner [M23] might break it off or hook up with another woman unless we have sex

I told him on the very first date that I am chaste so I allowed him to be prepared for that. I'm chaste for personal, spiritual, and health reasons.
The flag is so red it practically glows in the dark

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This one is kinda hosed-up in and of itself but it's actually kind of ironic when you realize you are reading about it in a post on reddit

Ex Boyfriend recorded arguments for all to hear

quote:

Over 13 years ago, when I was 25 I was dating a guy (25) at the time who was secretly recording me during the fights we would have when we were breaking up. We had a extremely abusive, tumultuous relationship. We also had a newborn child during this breakup. At times he would pick arguments, so that he can secretly record me yelling and fussing while he was calm and collected.

Somehow I found "some" of the tapes and I admit I sounded pretty irate and ridiculous. I thought the tapes were going to be used to win custody or say I was a unfit mother. But the tapes or their content never come up in counseling or anything. We broke up and I decided to do some work on myself because I didn't like the person I became by the end of our relationship. Even though he was pushing my buttons for the tapes, I had no business fussing and screaming like that. I took it upon myself go to therapy for years. While in therapy I was actually diagnosed with PTSD, I was utterly traumatized by the antics I tolerated for years.

For several years he just went on with his life never to see our child again. he reappeared 6 years later (when we were 31) to try to work things out. I decline his advances (therapy paid off) but made sure i let him know that I supported him having a relationship with our child. Because i decline his advances he pull a gun out of me and threaten to kill me in front of our child. I guess In a effort to save face, he started playing these tapes (from years prior) to his family and friends as proof that I am the crazy, violent one.

Now 13 years later (age 38) and living out of state, no connections, conversations or ties to him since the gun assault 6 years prior. I found out that he located me, found the school our kid attends and played these tapes of me being irate 13 years ago to parents at our kid's school to show them that I am crazy. The parents have stopped talking to me and my child is no longer invited to parties, and sleepovers.
What are your thoughts about this situation (recording and playing old tapes to embarrass me) and what would you do if this was impacting your child? How can I explain to my child why people are acting this way towards us? Is there anything I can do to combat this issue? Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I've never seen this sort of betrayal in my life. I know that he uses the tapes to justify him being a deadbeat to his friends and family. But what is the purpose of the strangers and people he has never met. Btw he is married with kids in another state. He has not once asked to visit or see our child.

tl;dr Ex Boyfriend 13 years ago recorded our arguments when we were breaking up and is playing them(13 years later) to the parents of our kids school.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is literally impossible to have a monogamous relationship and meet in the middle if one party is non-sexual. In every single instance, the sex wanter is assuming they can convert their partner.

E: But do keep us posted if there are any updates. I wanna see where this one goes.
If she's smart, it goes nowhere. Literally every single comment on that one is telling her to sever and also that they both are insane for thinking things would have worked out to begin with.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think it's religion; this woman won't even give him a handy, and we all know Jesus is cool with that.

Not necessarily, for the same reason some real Jesus freaks aren't cool with masturbation. Spilling the seed on the ground and all that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lostleaf posted:

You probably don't have kids or at least raised them. I have a 3 year old that is manipulative and surprisingly good at it too. All my coworker with young kids say the same thing about their kids too.

Is it normal to dismiss your kid as manipulative when they reach out to others asserting that you hate them?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is it normal to dismiss your kid as manipulative when they reach out to others asserting that you hate them?

I'd say it's more of an indicator of a rough time in the marriage than child abuse. Children can internalize it when they're parents fight and the can feel that the tension in the house is directed toward them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

loquacius posted:

This one is kinda hosed-up in and of itself but it's actually kind of ironic when you realize you are reading about it in a post on reddit

quote:

Because i decline his advances he pull a gun out of me and threaten to kill me in front of our child. I guess In a effort to save face, he started playing these tapes (from years prior) to his family and friends as proof that I am the crazy, violent one.

:stare:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

seriously, lock that man up and throw away the key for good measure

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm [F19] celibate and my partner [M23] might break it off or hook up with another woman unless we have sex
In my head he's Stanley Ipkiss after he puts on the Mask.

what the gently caress is the point of a "casual, open romantically but not sexually" relationship with someone who refuses to have sex
isn't that essentially exactly the same as being good friends with someone except they don't let you bone anyone

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

loquacius posted:

Why in the name of god did she just gloss over "He pulled a gun on me and threatened to kill me in front of the kid"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

Why in the name of god did she just gloss over "He pulled a gun on me and threatened to kill me in front of the kid"
She's either the most broken one yet or that one is actually fake.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

You clearly haven't had much experience with kids. Also I don't hate my daughter, she's by far the most important person in my life including my wife. She's still manipulative. I don't know how you can misinterpret calling my daughter that as hating her.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

My neighbor has a kid (10) who's high-functioning on the spectrum and goes to a special school for kids with violent outburts where they won't get suspended for violence but they do have a zero tolerance policy where they'll send you home for the rest of the day for anything from shoving on up. We've lived next to them for six years and he goes in waves of being okay but recently his father and sister (who live in Ireland) have made it clear they won't let him visit anymore and that the reason he pays their rent and bills was so he wouldn't have to deal with him after the divorce. Despite the real villains being obvious here, he's started accusing his mom of hitting him and when we're home he'll sometimes scream "stop hitting me!" when they're in different rooms because a friend of his at school told him that's how he can stay with his dad.

It's hosed up but kids are human and some are good, some are bad and some don't have the faculties to realize the impact their actions might have long-term.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I'd say it's more of an indicator of a rough time in the marriage than child abuse. Children can internalize it when they're parents fight and the can feel that the tension in the house is directed toward them.

Also, this.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

lostleaf posted:

You clearly haven't had much experience with kids. Also I don't hate my daughter, she's by far the most important person in my life including my wife. She's still manipulative. I don't know how you can misinterpret calling my daughter that as hating her.

Yo hold up, I'm not suggesting that at all. It's part of the post from r/relationships, the kid reached out to his bio mom and ended his letter with the assertion that his current guardians felt that way. After bio mom pointed this out to guardian mom she claimed he was manipulative and good at getting people to feel sorry for him.

I'm speaking to the post and in the context of the post. The question was also a flat question, is it normal to do what the guardian mom did and dismiss her kids statement to the bio mom as manipulative?

I do hear the point from other posters that this is likely a reflection of the state of the marriage.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 4, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Dirtbag Diva posted:

It's hosed up but kids are human and some are good, some are bad and some don't have the faculties to realize the impact their actions might have long-term.

Also, this.

As a child protection social worker and a foster parent I can verify this. My teen daughter told me yesterday that if I don't let her do independent study next semester she'll go live somewhere else (she loves it here) :rolleyes: it was meant to manipulate my emotions, but she also doesn't understand the impact of saying stuff like that, or even why it's manipulative. Kids just say whatever they think will get their needs met.

It's a result of internalizing stress and household discord. For younger kids depression/anxiety often looks like stomach aches and headaches because of that. It's a way of reaching out for comfort from someone - "I'm hurt/they hate me, please love me" - not necessarily an indictment of their parents care for them.

Also kids really do believe the grass is greener on the other side with their whole being.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yo hold up, I'm not suggesting that at all. It's part of the post from r/relationships, the kid reached out to his bio mom and ended his letter with the assertion that his current guardians felt that way. After bio mom pointed this out to guardian mom she claimed he was manipulative and good at getting people to feel sorry for him.

I'm speaking to the post and in the context of the post. The question was also a flat question, is it normal to do what the guardian mom did and dismiss her kids statement to the bio mom as manipulative?

I do hear the point from other posters that this is likely a reflection of the state of the marriage.

All kids have a fantasy at some point or another of their "real" parent rescuing them from a lovely life, no matter how cush their life is. He's only met bio mom once so he's able to project whatever he wants onto her, it doesn't take a huge stretch to think that when presented with that email the mom would get frustrated and point out that the correct word for what he's doing is manipulative.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's not ideal for a parent to describe their child that way but I can verify that sometimes that's how it feels when a child is trying to get emotional needs met by any means necessary in a time of stress

I hope they can get some family counseling, since the "solution" to a child being manipulative is consistency and boundaries with a ton of love and affection and reframing by the parent. "I hate you!" from a child should he responded to with "I know you're upset, I am too, but I love you and we will figure this out" and NOT "stop lying"

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Oops. I'm the one who misinterpreted what you said. Sorry.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Going to my swing dance class where it basically rains bitches more willing to gently caress than my celibate gf, brb

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I appreciate all of the responses and the perspectives from parents, thanks.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

loquacius posted:

Why the gently caress am is anyone listening to these tapes?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

pushpins posted:

Yeah if some guy knocked on my door asking me to listen to a secret tape of my daughter's friend's mom I'd tell him to gently caress off , because why would I want to do that and what kind of weirdo would even ask.

Maybe this is one of those hosed up small towns where social life revolves entirely around gossip and/or meth.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My girlfriend [23f] is going on a trip with her male best friend [23m]. Is it wrong for me [27m] to feel uneasy about this?

quote:

Using a throwaway.

My girlfriend is planning on going on a trip with her best friend. They met in college a year ago and are going to London to celebrate his birthday. They were originally going to Australia, but the guy changed his mind and they decided to go to the UK, then France and probably other places afterwards. They're staying in Europe for a month.

I don't wanna be controlling or possessive, but a month is a bit too much. I asked her why she couldn't bring other friends, I mean, it's his birthday right? He should bring all of his friends. But no. They're going together. Is it wrong for me to feel weird about this?

TL;DR: gf going to Europe with her best friend and I'm feeling weird about it

EDIT: we've been dating for three years.
:rip:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She might not see it as that weird. The birthday boy probably things it's a guaranteed ticket to sex though. I do agree that a month is too long, but she might not realize how loaded that trip is going to feel pretty soon.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

loquacius posted:

Ah, the old "gently caress with my wife till she gets mad then record it all and pretend to be the cool and calm one" aka The Schmorky Tactic

also why the gently caress didn't she call the cops after he pulled a gun on her

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

My girlfriend [23f] is going on a trip with her male best friend [23m]. Is it wrong for me [27m] to feel uneasy about this?

Where's Pete this guy needs him right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh man... the shmorky recording.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Where can I find this thing that will let me laugh at shmorky more?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

pushpins posted:

Maybe he is standing outside people's houses playing it on a boombox held over his head.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

the cummy goon cuck confession is what i hope this thread progresses to when it peaks

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

he pull a gun out of me

Where was she hiding the gun?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Mezzanon posted:

Where was she hiding the gun?

I submit to you that she had it stashed in her unusually large vagina.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

This is not an ultimatum.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

When I was 27, I took a trip with my then platonic female best friend for a month to new Zealand. The opposite of what you would think happened. We fell out of being best friends by living so close for a month where my apparently disgusting habits pissed her off so much that she actually left the trip a week early.

I don't think I'm disgusting :(. No I didn't try to sleep with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I think that people constantly asking reddit "is it wrong for me to feel uneasy about ______" is insane. Hey, maybe most people would be cool with what's happening or maybe they wouldn't; either way that's not the right question to ask. If you feel uneasy about something a stranger on the internet going "it's wrong to feel that way" is in no way gonna change that.

Obvious edit: it's probably because they want a single response of "it's not wrong, you are right"