Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I thought 36 was the reduced target number .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

Rose is a darn ballhog who throws bad passes when he does throw them. Melo at least passes well when he decides to.

I'm imaginin' a kinda PorzinGod of Thunder

From your keyboard to Sam Presti's ear

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Boosh! posted:

Wait two years to pair yet, another aging superstar with Melo? Give it up.

I gave it up long ago, and honestly I'm not sure Melo even makes it another 2 years. I'm just trying to guess what they're trying to do, besides flail around aimlessly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also the long term plan for the knicks is hosed. They are back where they were in the mid 2000s. No draft picks, a bad team with no route to get a star. As long as Melo is on that team they are not contending. If Zinger makes a leap (and I hope he does because he owns) they could top out at like a 5-4 seed. But that's probably it. Once Melo is off the books you can really start about thinking of a rebuild. But even then you're probably a few years off until Noah comes off as well.

Couldn't agree more. They're pretty much dead in the water now, barring some sort of miracle draft.

troofs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 4, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella posted:

Derrick Rose was not a basketball addition. He is only on the team because It allowed them to dump Robin Lopez. Sure Lopez is better but the knicks weren't winning either way.

Also the long term plan for the knicks is hosed. They are back where they were in the mid 2000s. No draft picks, a bad team with no route to get a star. As long as Melo is on that team they are not contending. If Zinger makes a leap (and I hope he does because he owns) they could top out at like a 5-4 seed. But that's probably it. Once Melo is off the books you can really start about thinking of a rebuild. But even then you're probably a few years off until Noah comes off as well.

This is 100% true. I do not trust GM Phil Jackson in the slightest after the Noah deal.

Lopez can be the starting center on a good playoff team and is due to make bench player money for the next 3 years. Dumping him for Rose might've been the worst trade of the summer.

If I was Phil I would've kept Lopez and gone after like Deron, Delly, DJ Augustin, or maybe Atlanta would've taken a 2017 first for George Hill. Or maybe gone after Wade, Eric Gordon, Joe Johnson, or Fournier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Lopez can be the starting center on a good playoff team and is due to make bench player money for the next 3 years. Dumping him for Rose might've been the worst trade of the summer.

Marco Bellineli for 1st round pick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

Why are people so squeamish about minutes? He played 32mpg last season as a rookie, he should be able to handle 36mpg as a young 21-year-olkd. I understand resting guys, limiting minutes in certain situations in the hopes of keeping them fresh, but it wasn't that long ago that Minnesota had Garnett playing 39-40mpg. It just seems like in the last 10 years the thinking has changed a little too dramatically if a young guy playing 36 is now causing stress.

Most teams work rookies into bigger minutes over time, you don't play nearly as many games in college and you have much more rest time. I don't think he is on a minute restriction or anything, but once he's gotten in a good run (28+) then it's not like you need to bring him out again, especially if your other young PG is holding down the fort pretty well.

euphronius posted:

Yeah I thought 36 was the reduced target number .

For most players sure, I am a bit worried about a guy like KAT playing that much. I think the Thibs minute thing is overblown, but I do think he played Noah too much and it hurt them down the stretch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

They dumped him so they could get Noah because Good Noah is like a perfect Triangle Center. Except Good Noah is dead and Phil is running that team into the ground as vengeance for the 90s.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Phil being a terrible GM is cool because it makes Pop, who's basically been the second GM for many years, look better.

So what do we think of the Oladipo contract a few days out?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

They dumped him so they could get Noah because Good Noah is like a perfect Triangle Center. Except Good Noah is dead and Phil is running that team into the ground as vengeance for the 90s.

If Phil wants to to try again for the perfect triangle center I'm sure Portland would send Plumlee and Evan Turner to NY for Melo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Phil is so smart, he understands knick fan psychology perfectly. He satisfied them with fake star power, fake new york grit, and various odds and ends that will make games compelling enough to watch but will ultimately result in a decent pick. He's doing a good job at stealth tanking, he's too smart for it to be anything else.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Even if the Knicks renounce everyone in the summer they still won't have enough room to sign a max player unless they trade one of Melo or Noah. Their best shot could be something like a sign and trade with the Clippers for Blake with Melo going the other way. But how they hell they'd be able to convince Blake to come I have no idea.

VVV The new contract for Dieng means the TWolves won't have room for a max player either unless they can trade both Rubio and Pekovic.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blake Griffin will sign with the Wolves and I will be mildly annoyed because I don't like him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Blake Griffin will sign with the Wolves and I will be mildly annoyed because I don't like him.

He'd be a ridiculously great fit but I don't think he is going to do that unless the Wolves look a lot closer to a contender than they look right now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

Thon Maker is the best teenager in the NBA

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

tanglewood1420 posted:

VVV The new contract for Dieng means the TWolves won't have room for a max player either unless they can trade both Rubio and Pekovic.
How is Pekovic not in medical retirement by now?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nice reference

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry but THIS is still my favorite block of the playoffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py0-l1M_870

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

It's not like Danilo would have put the Knicks over the top or anything

Nothing they traded away was all that important. Their drafts sucking was more of an issue.

That trade (+ getting Iggy) led to the best Nuggets regular season team of all time. Then Gallo's leg exploded (I was actually at the Mavs vs Nugs game this happened at), Faried got injured, and I believe maybe a perimeter defender also. Those (especially Gallo and Faried) ruined their playoffs and led to the birth of the Warriors.

Edit: if anyone is wondering, the Mavs lost that game continuing my over a decade long streak of never being able to see them win an attended away game.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 4, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

So what do we think of the Oladipo contract a few days out?

Bad so far, but most of the team has been bad.

Should the Thunder stop starting Andre Roberson? It's tough to justify having an offensive black hole like him starting now that KD is gone.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone who was paying more attention to the game than I was tell me why Dunn didn't play in crunch time last night?

Not sure if this is the case but if you don't do what Thibs wants you to do defensively, you won't play much. The minutes he used for the Bulls his first couple months were strange but made a point.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Rose trade was not a bad move, though. Also I know people actually do blame Melo (they are idiots) but what I'm saying is that its the Knicks fault for doing the Melo Trade. Obviously it is hindsight, but I'm pretty sure time has shown that to be a bad move.

Rose trade is pretty bad. Gave up 2 assets for a bad PG making $21m.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/794601891351117824

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Good riddance

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
In Bruno Caboclo news, the club assigned him to the D-League about 4 hours ago and then recalled him an hour ago

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

House must be pissed.

edit: While I never watched the show, his podcast is one of two I listen to while driving long distances or jogging. (The other is the Starters.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 4, 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm glad that the median sports fan has come around to the idea that Bill Simmons sucks.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I kind of liked that show. Simmons can be annoying but he had pretty good guests.

The writing was on the wall when they added a live audience though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean I have a lot of respect for Bill Simmons because he is pretty open about how completely poo poo ESPN is and is extremely critical on the NFL for a lot of issues that other members of the media completely ignore.

I think it's just annoying how much of a homer he is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

How is Pekovic not in medical retirement by now?

He played 12 games in January last year

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean I have a lot of respect for Bill Simmons because he is pretty open about how completely poo poo ESPN is and is extremely critical on the NFL for a lot of issues that other members of the media completely ignore.

I think it's just annoying how much of a homer he is.

I get caught up in his enthusiasm and the rapport he has with his podcast guests. I've only seen the first episode of the show.

Of course for me it helps that we're fans of the same teams, and I don't know enough about NBA/MLB to know his trade ideas are terrible.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Papercut posted:

It's okay to acknowledge terrible work even when it's associated with our own team or players we once idolized. For example, speaking as someone who was going to Blazers' playoff games in the early 90s and whose own dog is named Clyde, I can still recognize that Clyde Drexler is a horrendously bad announcer, almost on par with how bad Austin Carr is.

I look at it as watching basketball with your uncle that maybe drinks a little too much but he's a happy drunk. I'm not really looking for in depth analysis from him just a guy having fun watching basketball. Also my friend ran into him downtown once and had him record his voicemail greeting and it was awesome.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

It was a bad show. I hope Robert Mays gets a job somewhere else and keeps podcasting because I enjoy it. Maybe espn will rehire him and we can get the old grantland NFL podcast back

HBO is going to have to find something else to reach that dwindling male demo. Or maybe all their male 18-24 stuff is on cinemax, that's why it has Banshee and the Knick

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marc Stein: ESPN sources say Houston’s latest offer to Donatas Motiejunas is a multiyear deal that starts at a fully guaranteed $7 million in Year 1. Motiejunas is still a restricted FA after letting his $4.4M qualifying offer expire. Incentives can take latest Houston offer into $8M range

8m is like 10 minutes per game player sort of money. His back must be really messed up

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

:perfect:

someone else on this board is as old as poo poo, not just me hooray

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
His back is hosed and clearly he doesn't have any other offers. He should probably take it. Not sure what he and his agent are thinking

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How has Dion waiters been, because Josh Richardson's been cleared to play tonight.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

Bad so far, but most of the team has been bad.

Should the Thunder stop starting Andre Roberson? It's tough to justify having an offensive black hole like him starting now that KD is gone.

Who are you going to start in front of him?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

Who are you going to start in front of him?

Hell, Kanter, go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Literally just came here to post the Paul Pierce interview and say that it was actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zum87PfVgw

Not exactly compelling TV, but I hope some form of it keeps on existing on the internet.

• Locked thread