Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Ohio mostly seems to exist to export young people to New York City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Google "[your county, state] election board"

Then use that to check those people and things on ballotpedia.

Ballotpedia was what I was looking for. Thanks homie.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

:smug:

Proof positive that Ohio isn't complete poo poo.

Don't get too ahead of yourself, this is a federal court.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Off the top of my head:

We can probably infer "no" based on the fact that a critical distinction in the ideology of Civil War era abolitionists was that they thought black people deserved human rights but specifically did NOT deserve civil rights.

A thing to remember is that the concept of race as we know it is very much a product of the late 18/early 19th century. While stereotypes are a thing (Theres graffiti that shows that the Black men have large dicks stereotype goes back to ancient rome at least) its not like you have Romans declaring the Carthaginians biologically inferior, fit only for serving their betters.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Ah, no I meant it more so as a "slave forever with no hope of freedom," rather than "personal property." Roman slaves didn't have 0 hope of freedom. Their form of chattel slavery wasn't near as awful as transatlantic slavery.

Well, not servi poenae, who by definition could not be freed and were condemned to be slaves until the moment of death -- which wasn't long, given the average slave's lifespan in Rome was 17 years.

I'm by no means making the argument that Roman chattel slavery was as bad as transatlantic slavery, or modern slavery or prison labor for that matter, but being a Roman slave was worse than people here seem to think. It wasn't until the 2nd century CE that slaves started getting legal recourse against abusive masters, etc., for hundreds of years before that things were significantly shittier. It took three Servile Wars and another hundred years of slow shifts in public opinion for those rights to appear.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Don't get too ahead of yourself, this is a federal court.

Federal courts are the only good courts

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm excited for the possibility that the Republicans lock up the Presidency, House, Senate, FBI, and Supreme court all in one term. Imagine what they can accomplish!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Key phrase is 'not complete poo poo.'

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm excited for the possibility that the Republicans lock up the Presidency, House, Senate, FBI, and Supreme court all in one term. Imagine what they can accomplish!
the Y2K bug but for real this time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

This man has done what many people should aspire. Get as far away from Ohio as possible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
alright, some cool new analysis about florida from Steve Schale:

quote:

Right now, Democrats hold a 117K vote advantage among all low propensity voters, in large part due to this Hispanic surge. 32% of Democratic voters so far are low propensity voters, compared to 26% of the GOP voters. But among NPA, the number rises to 48%. That’s right, 48% of NPAs who have voted so far are low propensity – and 25% of those are Hispanic.

In fact, of the NPA low propensity voters, a full 42% of them are non-white. That right there is the Clinton turnout machine edge.

Basically, Republicans and Democrats are nearly tied in early voting (both in-person and absentee voting combined). Each side has about the same number registered.

HOWEVER

Among people who are NOT registered to either party, FORTY TWO percent of those who are voting for the first time? Minorities. Hundreds of thousands of minorities.

That's huge, and he estimates that nearly 60% of the vote is in in Florida.

Timidly, I think Hillary's going to win Florida (but things could still happen).

Hopefully, Sunday's souls to the polls crushes him entirely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Agean90 posted:

A thing to remember is that the concept of race as we know it is very much a product of the late 18/early 19th century. While stereotypes are a thing (Theres graffiti that shows that the Black men have large dicks stereotype goes back to ancient rome at least) its not like you have Romans declaring the Carthaginians biologically inferior, fit only for serving their betters.

This is true. The transatlantic slave trade was an unprecedented entetprise and required new ideas to be created in order for those involved to cope with their actions.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

edit: correction 48% of REGISTERED VOTERS have already voted. As the other 52% will not all vote, Trump is boned unless he beats her by like 12% on election day. Colorado is Clinton's.

As someone who lives in CO, I had to laugh when people started talking about the state being a toss-up. It was never going to be within 5.

zen63
Sep 1, 2006
Dayum #SpiritCooking is trending - thats the most horrific trick this nasty campaign has pushed yet. How much of an impact will this have on the christian hillbilly voters who knows. Its just art ffs

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Dang it, NC just went toss-up in my preferred anti-arzy map. :derp: :derp:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/princeton-election-consortium-trump-outperforms-polls

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't know why I'm diving into this poo poo discussion, but if you poke through the slave codes, you find plenty of language that explicitly acknowledges humanity and personhood. This is true also for Native Americans. The question is how much that "status" was at all meaningful; the American conception of "human rights" is very different today.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Majorian posted:

Glorious movie.

:agreed:

BarbarianElephant posted:

:rolleyes:

Can we roll back that "Votes for women" thing?

Peter Thiel account spotted.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BonoMan posted:

translation: I'm a racist shitbag that hates my own gender.... but I don't want YOU to know I'm a racist shitbag that hates my own gender so here's a crappy token excuse.

That's the impression I got, yes

Can't really call anyone out on it though because it's a very right-wing work environment and I'd get very fired--already mentioned I've caught crap for admitting to voting Hillary

It's intensely frustrating to be able to do nothing more than say "hm, ok" or similar noncommittal grunts, especially because to a certain type of coworker that just invites more "discussion"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Basically, Republicans and Democrats are nearly tied in early voting (both in-person and absentee voting combined). Each side has about the same number registered.

HOWEVER

Among people who are NOT registered to either party, FORTY TWO percent of those who are voting for the first time? Minorities. Hundreds of thousands of minorities.

Timidly, I think Hillary's going to win Florida (but things could still happen).

Doesn't Florida's early/absentee vote usually go heavily R due to the large numbers of old people/military? If so then 50-50 is really good for Hillary.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What would be the impact if the nation switched to a Washington/Oregon style based mail in ballot system, where all registered voters get their ballots three weeks before elections? Is there any reasonable ground for opposing that system (such as cost), other than the GOP wanting low voter turnout?

A lot of people feel a lot safer if they fill out a ballot at a designated polling place and put it into a counting box by their own hand, rather than putting it in the mail.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

HOWEVER

Ha! Another note about how significant the count is for new, unaffiliated voters is -

Florida is 72% white. Minorities only make up 28% of the state, but they are beating their representation in that very crucial category by half.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Ciaphas posted:

A coworker just admitted she voted for Trump because she doesn't want the first female president to also be the first impeached female president

That's... a viewpoint I haven't heard before, that's for sure
I've noticed this category of people on the left--I'm not sure what to call them, maybe alt-accelerationist or something--that reference "poisoning the well" as their reason for doing things like not voting for hillary or wishing the ACA didn't pass. They see these things as compromised progressivism that will do more to block actual progress than if they hadn't happened at all.

"It's better than we have now, but not as good as what we should have and will turn people away from progressive solutions"

I get their point, but it's a question of where you draw the line I guess. I think you are asking people to bear the cost of not having an imperfect improvement today in exchange for a theoretically better improvement in the future, maybe. But if you give the right wingers and inch, legislatively, then your job in the future will be harder and/or you just circuitously argued for accelerationism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ciaphas posted:

That's the impression I got, yes

Can't really call anyone out on it though because it's a very right-wing work environment and I'd get very fired--already mentioned I've caught crap for admitting to voting Hillary

It's intensely frustrating to be able to do nothing more than say "hm, ok" or similar noncommittal grunts, especially because to a certain type of coworker that just invites more "discussion"

Brother I work in Mississippi. I more than know how you feel. :(:hf::(

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd prefer we had polling places that were open for a month with "election day" just being the deadline. You know, like most places already have. My stupid state sucks.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

...If Trump outperforms polls by 2 percent. Which, with his anemic ground game is unlikely to be true and will probably mean he under performs polls by that or more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh man, those figures were the total number of registered voters? Meaning Trump would not just have to GOTV but pray that he motivates the terminally lazy?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Doesn't Florida's early/absentee vote usually go heavily R due to the large numbers of old people/military? If so then 50-50 is really good for Hillary.

For all we know, it might just be people who would tend to vote on election day doing it early because they expect voter suppression riots.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's the sort of poll which is really relevant, but doesn't flow into most polling aggregates at all. Unless for some reason the people lied about who they voted, those are guaranteed numbers rather than some vague notion of "likely voters".

And this is where Nate's correlated states thing can really bite him. "Polls are tightening in AZ! I bet it's tightening in CO, too!" when, even if that were true, it would affect a tiny part of the electorate that hasn't voted yet.

He really needs some kind of scaling parameter in there for early voting if he's gonna do that.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Question:

Do the positive effects of last minute Dem panic driving marginal democrats out to vote outweigh the negative effects of a chance of victory driving marginal republicans out to vote?

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If anyone has any good reading on whether slaves were considered human, please tell me. It seems super interesting, but a google search gives a mix of general slavery history and white supremacist "THE TRUTH ABOUT SLAVERY" poo poo, neither of which addresses the question.

You might be interested in this journal article then

http://www.uib.no/sites/w3.uib.no/files/attachments/vaughan-the_origins_debate.pdf

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What a strange sentiment, considering this is the third election in a row where women save the country from itself.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

The Insect Court posted:

Some cogent points there T.B. I would suggest that if there is any comparison to be made between Roman slavery and colonial/American slavery it would be between the Southern plantation system and the Roman latifundia. Both are examples of a sort of industrialized agriculture based on vast estates owned by a small number of wealthy landowners and worked by slaves. Slaves sent to the mines were generally criminals enslaved as punishment, and so bore fewer similarities to the economic system of Southern slavery.

1. You're being knowing disingenuous, as usual.
2. The difference you're pointing to is a thin layer of paint on the same type of oppression, just like Angola is a PR revision of antebellum slavery.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zen63 posted:

Dayum #SpiritCooking is trending - thats the most horrific trick this nasty campaign has pushed yet. How much of an impact will this have on the christian hillbilly voters who knows. Its just art ffs

anyone dumb enough to be genuinely concerned that Hillary is a satan-worshipping cannibal or whatever is already voting for Trump

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

...If Trump outperforms polls by 2 percent. Which, with his anemic ground game is unlikely to be true and will probably mean he under performs polls by that or more.

That's the point, if he's still losing that map he's screwed. It'd be nice to keep the buffer up.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

pgroce posted:

And this is where Nate's correlated states thing can really bite him. "Polls are tightening in AZ! I bet it's tightening in CO, too!" when, even if that were true, it would affect a tiny part of the electorate that hasn't voted yet.

He really needs some kind of scaling parameter in there for early voting if he's gonna do that.

Are CO and AZ correlated in his model? Because the two states have very little in common in terms of culture or educational attainment. Literally the only thing similar is racial/ethnic makeup and their geographic location.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

sincx posted:

Question:

Do the positive effects of last minute Dem panic driving marginal democrats out to vote outweigh the negative effects of a chance of victory driving marginal republicans out to vote?

Statistically, the more likely your team is winning the more likely you want to support them. It's a stupid concept, but that's just how human brains work.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Bhaal posted:

I've noticed this category of people on the left--I'm not sure what to call them, maybe alt-accelerationist or something--that reference "poisoning the well" as their reason for doing things like not voting for hillary or wishing the ACA didn't pass. They see these things as compromised progressivism that will do more to block actual progress than if they hadn't happened at all.

"It's better than we have now, but not as good as what we should have and will turn people away from progressive solutions"

I get their point, but it's a question of where you draw the line I guess. I think you are asking people to bear the cost of not having an imperfect improvement today in exchange for a theoretically better improvement in the future, maybe. But if you give the right wingers and inch, legislatively, then your job in the future will be harder and/or you just circuitously argued for accelerationism.

It's basically political nihilism, as far as I can tell, and it seems distressingly common among younger age brackets. I have a really hard time understanding the mindset of "making things better, even if only a bit, sucks if it doesn't fix everything." It's still a bit better than it was!

... and that's why I'm a fairly standard Democrat, I guess.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

A 270 to win map on page 270. I like your style :c00lbert:

Senf fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

No.

• Locked thread