Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Endorph posted:

what were ancient roman get out the vote efforts like

HILLARY

Friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your retweets;
I come to bury Obama, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Obama. The noble Trump
Hath told you Obama was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Obama answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Trump and the rest--
For Trump is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in Obama's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Trump says he was ambitious;
And Trump is an honourable man.
He hath brought many businesses home to America
Whose taxess did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Obama seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Obama hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Trump says he was ambitious;
You all did see that on the White House
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Trump spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Obama,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Donkwich posted:

Is Mother Jones also supported by a freakish cult that I don't know about

Liberals.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

:confused: it's a pretty common word?

Agentically?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Necc0 posted:

They didn't find a bug

quote:

The second sweep, according to the Democratic officials, found a radio signal near the chairman's office that indicated there might be a listening device outside the office. "We were told that this was something that could pick up calls from cell phones," a DNC official says. "The guys who did the sweep said it was a strong indication." No device was recovered. No possible culprits were identified.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is there enough time for NC to appeal this?

There's one working day before election day. Less than zero chance they can even schedule a hearing, let alone get a verdict.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Julio Cruz posted:

There's one working day before election day. Less than zero chance they can even schedule a hearing, let alone get a verdict.

Excellent.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

greatn posted:

Why DOES Clinton get these weirdos like Podesta and Penn in her operations? She has a lot of great people, but I feel like Obama didn't have these problems with staffers sending optically bad emails and looking dumb. Of course maybe he would have if he had been hacked.

Oh there were those of us that said some real dumb poo poo, we just weren't hacked. Bernie was not kidding when he said if they saw his emails it would look bad too - Bet there would be the same tons of snark, people blowing off steam, etc.

Editing since I realized it read like I was Sander's staff this cycle when I wasn't,

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

You are conflating polling errors and win probability errors. They are not the same thing, as I tried to explain to you earlier.

Edit: This is actually several points rolled together, though. As a very simple exercise, assume deep south goes +5 for Trump beyond polling. Does Hillary's win probability drop? Beyond that dumb toy example that shows how national margin is not the same as win probability, if Hillary is up 3 points in national polls and polls are off by 2 points, she still wins. Polling errors are also not likely to be truly randomly distributed; in none of your examples did polling errors flip the winner.

Win likelihood is a function of what you think the polling error is. And goons make way too much of the electoral college vs popular vote thing. When they're generally highly correlated.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Am I understanding this correctly? Not trying to argue, I'll not try to rebut you if you correct me.

I don't know about anyone else, but my biggest qualm is that "better" can mean a tremendous amount of things and packing the entirety of the worldwide human condition into a single word is so absurd as to be virtually meaningless. The other problem is that it implies a sort of inevitability - if you claim that things have always just gotten better with the passage of time over the entirety of human history, that comes with the unspoken addendum that things will inevitably continue to get better regardless of what people do. And of course, the basic assumption that everything has gotten better forever can definitely be challenged - for one thing, industrialization has allowed mass torture and murder on an unprecedented scale.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Thank god for the courts
This is why they're so desperate to stop HRC from making these appointments. Any appointments.

So what happens if, like, McCrory decides to cancel the election or gets the lege to ram through some kind of thing like South Carolina had in the past, where the state's electors are determined by the legislators? To be clear for those with weak stomachs, this is mere speculation, I am just curious what the fallout of something like that would actually be. Obviously the Republicans would endorse it as good because it helps them, if perhaps with some defections...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chelsea Manning apparently tried to kill herself again after she was sentenced to solitary confinement for a previous suicide attempt in jail.

I hate to say it but I highly doubt she serves her sentence. The whole thing is depressing as hell.

I know. Just thinking about what it must be like to be in her shoes right now gives me the willies. :ohdear:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nessus posted:

This is why they're so desperate to stop HRC from making these appointments. Any appointments.

So what happens if, like, McCrory decides to cancel the election or gets the lege to ram through some kind of thing like South Carolina had in the past, where the state's electors are determined by the legislators? To be clear for those with weak stomachs, this is mere speculation, I am just curious what the fallout of something like that would actually be. Obviously the Republicans would endorse it as good because it helps them, if perhaps with some defections...

We might get republican clause jurisprudence for the first time in history... which would lead to whatever came from the circuit being "affirmed by an equally divided court."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

I'd say probably another way to do it would be by more fine-grained demography and relative support among those splits (education, sex, race, geography, etc.) for each candidate including voting trends.
The required data isn't necessarily there, and explicit modeling isn't necessarily better, because you have to make a lot of assumptions there. Simply measuring it empirically is going to be off by a bit, but it might still be the best compromise.

You're also introducing a bootstrap problem here - you want to use the model to estimate candidate support, but you need to know candidate support (per demographic!) to build the model ...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but my biggest qualm is that "better" can mean a tremendous amount of things and packing the entirety of the worldwide human condition into a single word is so absurd as to be virtually meaningless. The other problem is that it implies a sort of inevitability - if you claim that things have always just gotten better with the passage of time over the entirety of human history, that comes with the unspoken addendum that things will inevitably continue to get better regardless of what people do. And of course, the basic assumption that everything has gotten better forever can definitely be challenged - for one thing, industrialization has allowed mass torture and murder on an unprecedented scale.
I'm not so much wondering what might be the facts at hand, but why it is controversial. Maybe it's wrong, let us leave that aside - why is it offensive for me to claim it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JohnCompany posted:

We might get republican clause jurisprudence for the first time in history... which would lead to whatever came from the circuit being "affirmed by an equally divided court."
Well I mean like, I know McCrory got a special session together to pass HB2, right? What would stop him from doing that to try to save the Republican chances here? I have the feeling if he pulled this it would somehow be blamed on Hillary, of course

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WampaLord posted:

Agentically?

Just for you WampaLord I'll summarize in small words: bush sucked rear end on purpose

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kubrick posted:

These leaked emails are "humanizing" Clinton more than all the silly market research.

Honestly, I wish she had all these out months ago. Besides showing her as human despite the decades of attacks, the Republican narrative only works if they can keep up a cloud of vague dread over her head to try to distract from their own evil. Without that, they have so little even their voters would get tired of hearing it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Apparently Republicans are really pushing don't let children be raped because of Transgender laws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1_NMMMsu4

Probably the most infuriating political commercial ever.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/11/04/pro-republican-ad-depicts-little-girl-getting-raped-because-of-transgender-equality/

quote:

“Extremist LGBT activists want to make an example of Republican Gov. Pat McCrory because of his support of the common-sense idea that men should not be in women’s bathrooms. But we are stopping them.
“Just a week ago McCrory was down six-points to Democrat Roy Cooper….But since our ads have been running he is dead-even.”
The footage in the ad appears to have been re-purposed from a near-identical campaign in Texas last year – which succeeded in persuading voters to vote down an Equal Rights Ordinance providing basic protections for LGBT workers.
The Houston ad claimed to have been produced by a grassroots ‘Campaign for Houston’ which did not declare a link to NOM.
The re-emergence of the footage in a NOM-attributed advert puts a fresh question mark on its real source.
The declaration in the North Carolina ad states “it was Paid for by North Carolina Values Coalition and the National Organisation for Marriage”, while the Houston ad declaration states “Pol. ad paid for by the Campaign for Houston”.
It is a breach of the Federal Election Campaign Act to fail to properly declare the source of an election ad.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Agean90 posted:

A thing to remember is that the concept of race as we know it is very much a product of the late 18/early 19th century. While stereotypes are a thing (Theres graffiti that shows that the Black men have large dicks stereotype goes back to ancient rome at least) its not like you have Romans declaring the Carthaginians biologically inferior, fit only for serving their betters.

although i do distinctly remember plato's republic talking about how certain kinds of people are 'natural slaves.' women, for example. it seems like there's this feedback loop between taking slaves for seemingly strictly 'economical' reasons and needing to justify it on moral grounds which in turn because an imperative to maintaining/expanding the practice. no one wants to think they're doing a bad thing, even as they grind the neck of their fellow human beings into the dirt

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

Well I mean like, I know McCrory got a special session together to pass HB2, right? What would stop him from doing that to try to save the Republican chances here? I have the feeling if he pulled this it would somehow be blamed on Hillary, of course

There's no way he gets enough legislators back for a special session in the last moments of the election. Aside from the horribly unpopular nature of such a move, if they fail to get a quorum all they did was paint a target on their back and lose valuable campaigning time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dirt posted:

The plot thickens:
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/794643052845559808

This election is crazy and I can't wait for it to stop.

Also something tells me that the FBI won't be much help here

what.. :stare:

This. loving. Election.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Why DOES Clinton get these weirdos like Podesta and Penn in her operations? She has a lot of great people, but I feel like Obama didn't have these problems with staffers sending optically bad emails and looking dumb. Of course maybe he would have if he had been hacked.

in her defense her inner circle is largely free these days of the real scumbags and weirdos who used to orbit the clintons, and lot of that stems from bill's time as an active politician

the short answer is southern politics is extremely ugly stuff and you had to get the roughest operators to win and the clintons are extremely loyal to their people

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nessus posted:

Not sure anything structural would stop him beforehand since there's no federal constitutional rule on how a state distributes EVs (caveat: I know nothing about the NC constitution at all) - this is why, e.g. Maine or Nebraska can distribute votes by district, and why the interstate popular vote compact would be legal (assuming it was approved as an interstate compact by Congress). There are, however, massive social safeguards that should prevent this, but we assume they don't apply if McCrory means business.

Once he did sign this legislation, there would absolutely be court challenges on a number of grounds: due process and the guarantee/republican clause come immediately to mind. Without digressing into a lecture on substantive due process, and a more speculative lecture on the modern content of the republican clause (if any), the appeals would go to the 4th Circuit, then would be appealed en banc, then would go to SCOTUS, to be affirmed 4-4.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"MoD seriously misled me on Saudi arms sales, says Vince Cable"

quote:

The Ministry of Defence has been accused of “seriously misleading” a cabinet minister in a desperate effort to get export licences for British-made missiles for use by Saudi Arabia in its controversial bombing campaign in Yemen.
The former business secretary Vince Cable has told the Guardian he was given specific assurances by the MoD about oversight of potential targets – which he deemed an essential safeguard to minimise the risk of civilian casualties in the increasingly bloody conflict.
He says he was told that the UK would enhance its oversight to the level given by the Saudis to the US – which would include involvement in decisions about what was being bombed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this loving election

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Apparently Republicans are really pushing don't let children be raped because of Transgender laws

Probably the most infuriating political commercial ever.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/11/04/pro-republican-ad-depicts-little-girl-getting-raped-because-of-transgender-equality/

that's nothing. this has been running nonstop for weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RODwl5QS9W4

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know anything about 4th Circuit federal practice, but I would guess there's absolutely a chance that the 4th Circuit could issue an emergency stay. My Con Law professor described the 4th Circuit as "where rights go to die."

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Young Hegelian posted:

I don't know anything about 4th Circuit federal practice, but I would guess there's absolutely a chance that the 4th Circuit could issue an emergency stay. My Con Law professor described the 4th Circuit as "where rights go to die."

They struck down NC's voter ID law though so they're not completely terrible

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Things continue to look positive in Nevada:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/794648720419803136

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah I'm sure the NC GOP won't just sit on this until Wednesday and then say "oh sorry we couldn't restore their rights in time... darn I guess that means we get to keep these vote results that're more favorable than they could've been."

NC's right wing assholes lost this fight but the real question is if they've managed to do enough damage to not lose their stranglehold on the state government.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It'd be great to see NC go blue and get a Democratic Governor, but I haven't been paying attention to the latest in the Governors race other than that the Governor is a total shithead no one likes.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Gyges posted:

HILLARY

Friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your retweets;
I come to bury Obama, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Obama. The noble Trump
Hath told you Obama was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Obama answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Trump and the rest--
For Trump is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in Obama's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Trump says he was ambitious;
He hath brought many businesses home to America
Whose taxess did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Obama seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Obama hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
You all did see that on the White House
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Trump spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Obama,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

So is Huma Cleopatra in this scheme?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is there enough time for NC to appeal this?

nope, but the county boards of election just won't do it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did anyone post that PPP has Hillary +5 in NH? I think they also had her plus 3 in NC.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Win likelihood is a function of what you think the polling error is. And goons make way too much of the electoral college vs popular vote thing. When they're generally highly correlated.

One or both of us is confused about what the other is arguing. Hypothetical here, but a polling error of 2 points that reduces Hillary's lead from 3 points to 1 point is a massive polling error. It cuts her advantage by two thirds. A 1 point lead in the popular vote gives you an overwhelming probability of winning the presidency. That is the exact opposite of thinking the electoral college and popular vote are not highly correlated.

If you can show me somehow that a confident, aggregated estimate of a polling lead of 1-3 points empirically does not have a high win probability, I would like to see it. That's the kind of thing that could convince me 538 is in the right realm of uncertainty. What you've shown so far is that polling errors of 0.5-3 points have still let the polls get the winner right.

Somewhat of a tangent, but I also suspect polling error magnitude is not independent of the difference between the candidates. Has anyone seen data specifically on that? I feel like 538 blog or somewhere looking at polling errors over the last x elections might have given some hint about this. Let me see if I can find it...

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I finished taking my professional exam (LEED AP BD+C) and now can spend my time mindlessly reading this thread again. Now my huge amounts of anxiety are only coming from one source, lovely polls.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the latest in the Governors race other than that the Governor is a total shithead no one likes.

mayor mccheese just announced a horse show sponsored by the company a former lackey runs that'll apparently bring in infinity more moneys than the nba all star game

also they spent about 8 million in bribes to get a couple hundred jobs in charlotte

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I'm not so much wondering what might be the facts at hand, but why it is controversial. Maybe it's wrong, let us leave that aside - why is it offensive for me to claim it?

I did not find it offensive, fwiw. I just think there are many measures by which we have not had consistent progress over time and that they are still the kinds of things we are trying to work on today as societies, so they are relevant.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/794657746972975104 hmmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'd honestly be kind of mad if my boss was on a computer and emailed me to remind them to do something when they get home. You're on a PC in the 21st century Grandma. There's dozens of ways to remind yourself to do something when you get home without having your assistant call you!

Google "The Good Wife Schedule" It's faster than emailing someone.

• Locked thread