Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Hey y'all, I need a wild card. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ben Nevis posted:

Hey y'all, I need a wild card. Anyone?

The Atrocity Exhibition, JG Ballard.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I have read 69 books this year, OP

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Corrode posted:

Hell yesssssssssss.

My October update:

quote:

1 - Daft Wee Stories, by Limmy (Brian Limond)
2 - I Kill Giants, by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura
3 - Kill Your Boyfriend, by Grant Morrison, Philip Bond, D'Israeli and Daniel Vozzo
4 - Supervillainz, by Alicia E. Goranson
5 - AM/PM, by Amelia Gray
6 - One Hundred Years Of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
7 - Wolf In White Van, by John Darnielle
8 - New World: An Anthology of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, edited by C. Spike Trotman
9 - The Gondola Scam, by Jonathan Gash
10 - Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay
11 - Dept. Of Speculation, by Jenny Offill
12 - The Great Zoo of China, by MATTHEW REILLY
13 - Empire of the Senseless, by Kathy Acker
14 - Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of, by Stuart Ashen
15 - Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood
16 - High-Rise, by JG Ballard
17 - I Love Dick, by Chris Kraus
18 - Ghost House, by Hannah Faith Notess
19 - Pig Tales, by Marie Darrieussecq
20 & 21 - The Midas Flesh, vol. 1 & 2, by Ryan North, Branden Lamb, Shelli Paroline, Steve Wands
22 - Slow Bullets, by Alastair Reynolds
23 - How To Build A Girl, by Caitlin Moran
24 - Sex, Drugs, and Cartoon Violence: My Decade as a Video Game Journalist, by Russ Pitts
25 - Memoirs of a Spacewoman, by Naomi Mitchison
26 - Superpatriotism, by Michael Parenti
27 - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Mapping the Relationship Between Online Trolling and Mainstream Culture, by Whitney Phillips
28 - The Vegetarian, by Han Kang
29 - This Census Taker, by China Miéville
30 - The Clumsiest People in Europe: Or, Mrs. Mortimer's Bad-Tempered Guide to the Victorian World, by Favell Lee Mortimer (introduced and annotated by Todd Pruzan)
31 - The Book Of Phoenix, by Nnedi Okorafor
32 - Seconds, by Bryan Lee O'Malley
33 - How The Marquis Got His Coat Back, by Neil Gaiman
34 - Lud-In-The-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees
35 - Super Mario Bros. 3, by Alyse Knorr
36 - The Marbled Swarm, by Dennis Cooper
37 - The Blindfold, by Siri Hustveldt
38 - Filmish, by Edward Ross
39 - Report On Probability A, by Brian Aldiss
40 - Saga, vol. 6, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
41 - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child, by JK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
42 - Counterculture Through The Ages: From Abraham To Acid House, by Ken Goffman (aka R U Sirius) and Dan Joy
43 - Piss Cameron, by IlllllllllllllI
44 - Vurt, by Jeff Noon
45 - The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym for JK Rowling)
46 - Queer And Trans Artists Of Color: Stories Of Some Of Our Lives, by Nia King, co-edited by Jessica Glennon-Zukoff and Terra Mikalson
47 - License To Play: The Ludic In Japanese Culture, by Michal Daliot-Bul
48 - In the Peanut Gallery with Mystery Science Theater 3000: Essays on Film, Fandom, Technology, and the Culture of Riffing, by Robert G. Weiner, Shelley E. Barba (eds)
49 - Reading Mystery Science Theater 3000: Critical Approaches, edited by Shelley S. Rees
50 - The Giant, O'Brien, by Hilary Mantel
51 - We Stand On Guard, by Brian K. Vaughan, Steve Skroce, Matt Hollingsworth, Fonografiks
52 - Chameleo: A Strange but True Story of Invisible Spies, Heroin Addiction, and Homeland Security, by Robert Guffey
53 - All The Birds In The Sky, by Charlie Jane Anders

I read four(ish) books in October.

54 - Player Piano, by Kurt Vonnegut. Another one I forgot to log from earlier this year. Really good early Vonnegut about a fully-automated future, while also a very 50s one.

55 - Selected Unpublished Blog Posts Of A Mexican Panda Express Employee, by Megan Boyle. Pretty much what the title suggests, this reads very much like browsing a random twentysomething's old blog posts. Unfortunately, it's a twentysomething I didn't wind up liking very much. Published by Muumuu House, Tao Lin's indie small press, it has the same kind of tone as a lot of Lin's work - listlessness, self-doubt, a sparse, blunt prose style that at the same time feels wishy-washy in the extreme. There are a few genuinely great entries, but Boyle's day-to-day thoughts are monotonous and mundane enough that I found myself making any excuse not to read more. I found it really disappointing.

56 - Empire Of The Sun, by JG Ballard. Based on his childhood experience in Japanese-occupied Shanghai during WWII, this is a deep and grim and oddly sweet story. Survival, desperation, the dehumanisation of war and imprisonment, and the alternate reality that the young protagonist builds in response to his predicament. Ballard's prose is excellent as always, blending the mundane observations of daily life with the warped terror of violence, illness and decay. This is an important book for a reason, and just as gripping and grim as I anticipated.

57 - Right Ho, Jeeves!, by PG Wodehouse. My first time actually reading Wodehouse, and it's exactly as cosy and silly as I expected. Of course due to cultural osmosis I was unable to hear anything but Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry's voices in my head while reading. What I should have anticipated were the jarring moments of casual racism, which were abrupt enough to shock me out of the otherwise fun and engrossing prose. The story is typical comedy-of-errors farce, full of miscommunication and schemes gone awry, and Wodehouse has an excellent command of comic writing and the pleasures of language. A warm, feel-good novel, minus the wince-inducing whiteness.

Fuller reviews up on my GoodReads, as always.

1) 52+ books - 57
2) At least 40% (23) by a woman - 25 - 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 23, 25, 27, 28, 30, 31, 34, 35, 37, 45, 46, 47, 50, 53, 55
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - 6, 8, 10, 28, 31, 32, 46
4) Something written in the 1800s - 30
5) Something History Related - 6, 26, 38, 42, 47, 50, 55
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - 19
7) A collection of essays. - 10, 48, 49
8) A work of Science Fiction - 8, 15, 20, 21, 22, 25, 31, 39, 40, 44, 51, 53, 54
9) Something written by a musician - 7
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - 12, 45
11) Read something about or set in NYC - 11, 37
12) Read Airplane fiction - 12, 45
13) Read Something YA -
14) Wildcard! (City of Stairs)
15) Something recently published - 8, 14, 21, 27, 29, 31, 35, 40, 41, 43
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - 16, 32
17) The First book in a series - 15, 44, 45
18) A biography or autobiography - 24
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc.) or from the Beat Generation -
20) Read a banned book -
21) A Short Story collection - 1, 5, 8, 43
22) It’s a Mystery. - 45

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Buddy, can you spare a wildcard?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Talas posted:

Buddy, can you spare a wildcard?

AS Byatt - Ragnarok?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Gertrude Perkins posted:

AS Byatt - Ragnarok?
Sounds good to me, thanks!

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
53. Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (Literature)
54. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh (Nonfiction)
55. Thinking in Pictures: And other reports from My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin (Nonfiction)
56. Run by Kody Keplinger
57. Marrow Island by Alexis M. Smith (Literature)
58. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Literature)
59. The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
60. Feminism is for Everybody by bell hooks (Nonfiction)
61. Don't Touch by Rachel M Wilson
62. The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante (Literature)
63. Chime by Franny Billingsley
64. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (Literature)
65. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour

65/52, 36/65 Literature, 8 Nonfiction books

Alias Grace was good, but I think Atwood is good. I should read more Atwood.

THotBT took me forever to get through because it is really long. I think I started it in the early summer? It's worthwhile, but dense.

The Temple Grandin book is interesting, however, several notes of caution. One, the diagnoses in this book are very outdated, and a lot of people in the autism community disagree with Grandin on some stuff which I think may have been in this book. If you go in with that in mind, I think it's an interesting read.

Run was YA, and pretty good.

Marrow Island was a book written by Alexis M. Smith, who wrote Glaciers, which I really liked. This wasn't bad, but I didn't like it as much.

The Road was brutal, but I was really distracted by the punctuation usage. I kept trying to decide what dictated when an apostrophe would appear. I know that's a weird thing to get hung up on.

The Speed of Dark is a SF book about an autism cure and it made me really sad. I wrote a bummed out goodreads review about it.

Feminism is for Everybody is pretty much the book you give someone if they don't get what feminism is, or if they haven't read a lot about feminism or intersectional feminism. I think a lot of people can still get something out of it.

Don't Touch is a YA book about a girl with OCD.

The Days of Abandonment was the first Ferrante book I read, and it was after that one rear end in a top hat doxxed her. But man it was dark.

Chime is a YA book.

Everything I never told you was an interesting one. I saw a lot of disappointed reviews on GoodReads and I think I know why. I think the book acting like it's a mystery is a flaw. I think the book is much more interesting if you focus on the grief and not the "Did she kill herself?"

Everything leads to you is lesbian YA.

Well, I'll confess I wasn't going out of my way to read literary books, which this month shows, but I'm still on track.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Somehow forgot to post a September update so this is for both September and October.

Previously:

1. White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister.
2. Slåttekar i himmelen by Edvard Hoem.
3. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie.
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.
5. I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage by Susan Squire.
6. Anabasis by Xenophon.
7.-9. The Apocalypse Triptych: The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End has Come edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey.
10. Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck.
11. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold.
12. Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
13. Demon Dentist by David Walliams.
14. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
16. Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.
17. Doktor Proktors Prompepulver by Jo Nesbø.
18. Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer.
19. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima.
20. Før jeg brenner ned by Gaute Heivoll.
21. Billionaire Boy by David Walliams.
22. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
23. The Quiet Game by Greg Iles.
24. The Vegetarian by Han Kang.
25. Maurtuemordene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
26. Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald.
27. Destroyermen: Blood in the Water by Taylor Anderson.
28. Gangsta Granny by David Walliams.
29. The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross.
30. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
31. Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.
32. Ratburger by David Walliams.
33. Sønnen ("The Son") by Jon Nesbø.
34. Svein og rotta i syden by Marit Nicolaysen.
35. Døden ved vann ("Death by water") by Torkil Damhaug.
36. Ildmannen ("The Man of Fire" would be a good translation) by Torkil Damhaug.
37. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

New:

38. Stoner by John Williams. A low-key portrayal of the life of an obscure American academic mostly across the first half of the 20th century. Beautiful, quiet book, originally published in 1965 and then sort of rediscovered in more recent years.

39. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. BOTM for September. Arguably a case of "eastern religious philosophy for dumb westerners 101" from the 1920s, but drat, it was a pretty enjoyable read.

40. Thornghost by Tone Almhjell. YA fantasy by a "new" Norwegian author, this is actually her second book to be published. The author was in my circle of nerd friends in high school and we spent many hours playing D&D and Shadowrun and watching movies and stuff, so I cannot be impartial. I do think these are pretty great, though. Basically "portal fantasy" where the protagonists are kids from our world and the secondary world is inhabited by anthropomorphic reincarnations of dead pets (and, it turns out, other types of creatures). Far less fruity, and darker and more scary, than this makes it sound. (Interestingly, her books are published in both Norwegian and English versions simultaneously -- the only case I know of where the author either translates everything herself, or rather writes both versions in parallel so that there isn't really an original version.)

41. The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams. His first novel and a bit different in tone from the others we've read -- a tiny bit more serious and less comical. Main character is a pre-teen boy living with his divorced father and older brother, in a home where emotions are not allowed to be expressed (nor is it allowed to even mention their absent mother). Randomly, he discovers that enjoys dressing up in women's clothing. This is initially not accepted by those in authority but eventually they are made to see the light. Read this aloud to my 8-year-old and I'm sure a lot of it went over his head; but he did enjoy it and I guess it was a pretty good introduction to the existence of sexuality-based slurs and how they are not okay to use.

42. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. BOTM for October and a smashing good read, what. Actually my first Wodehouse as far as I can remember. Lovely language, funny characters, ridiculous complications.

43. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay. A collection of essays (mostly pretty short ones) by this Haitian-American academic/cultural type person with whom I was previously unfamiliar. I am now reasonably familiar with her opinions on a variety of subjects which range from the personal to the political and the portrayal of minorities in the media and whatnot. Seems like a pretty cool smart lady and most of the essays were interesting to read, a bit meandering though.

If it seems like I've encountered a slowdown, it is because I am also in the process of reading Jerusalem by Alan Moore, which I started in the middle of September and I'm not yet done -- currently at the 71% mark (which is in the middle of THAT chapter). Am determined to finish. Also have some left of The Big Book of Science Fiction.

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number - 43/40
2) Something written by a woman- I Don't, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, The Vegetarian, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, Lud-in-the-Mist, Svein og rotta i syden, Thornghost, Bad Feminist
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Temple of the Golden Pavilion, The Vegetarian, Bad Feminist
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat, Plain Tales from the Hills
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Slåttekar i himmelen, Anabasis, The Name of the Rose
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Thornghost
7) A collection of essays. - Bad Feminist
8) A work of Science Fiction - much of The Apocalypse Triptych, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Red Rising, Half a War, Acceptance, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon, others
9) Something written by a musician - White Line Fever
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game
11) Read something about or set in NYC
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - Sønnen definitely qualifies for this
13) Read Something YA - Half the World, Red Rising, Half a War, Thornghost
14) Wildcard! - I Don't
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Half the World, Half a War, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Three Men in a Boat
17) The First book in a series - Red Rising, The Quiet Game, Luna: New Moon
18) A biography or autobiography - White Line Fever, Før jeg brenner ned
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - Sweet Thursday
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - all volumes of The Apocalypse Triptych
22) It’s a Mystery.- The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game, Maurtuemordene, Sønnen, Døden ved vann, Ildmannen

Additional individual challenge:

Norwegians: 8/10
Non-fiction: 4/5
Max re-reads: 2/5

BONUS INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE: What the hell, I've followed the BOTM for both January and February; I'm going to keep doing that for the rest of the year. (Escape clause: Will reserve the option to skip books I've already read.) 10 for 10 on this.

Two months left of the year, have passed the raw numerical target, only missing two booklord challenge points, two Norwegian books and one non-fiction book... looks good.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

1. My Dead Body by Charlie Huston.
2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
3. Made in America, An informal history of the English Language in the US by Bill Bryson.
4. Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
5. Ru by Kim Thuy
6. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
7. Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
8. The Language of Food, A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky
9. Paris Nocturne by Patrick Modiano
10. Last First Snow by Max Gladstone
11. Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
12. A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
13. Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
14. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Carter and Lovecraft by Jonathan L Howard
16. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
17. Claws of the Cat by Susan Spann
18. Stray Souls by Kate Griffin
19. Version Control by Dexter Palmer
20. Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff
21. Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
22. The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
23. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley
24. The Decagon House Murders by Yukito Ayatsuji
25. The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by MH Boroson
26. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
27. Crooked by Austin Grossman
28. A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben MacIntyre
29. The Great & Calamitous Tale of Johan Thoms by Ian Thornton
30. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
31. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
32. The Glass God by Kate Griffin
33. The Devil in Silver by Victor Lavalle
34. Stories by Dorothy Parker
35. The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North
36. A Hell of a Woman by Jim Thompson
37. Something More than Night by Ian Tregillis
38. Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch
39. The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan
40. The Deep Sea Divers Syndrome by Serge Brussolo
41.Cities I've Never Lived In: Stories by Sara Majka
42. All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders
43. The Final Solution by Michael Chabon
44. The Sleep of the Righteous by Wolfgang Hilbig
45. The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson
46. The Night the Rich Men Burned by Malcolm Mackay
47. Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente
48. Target in the Night by Ricardo Piglia
49. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
50. Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch
51. The Insides by Jeremy P Bushnell
52. Time and Tenacity by Hannah Vale
53. In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster
54. Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo
55. A General Theory of Oblivion by Jose Eduardo Agualusa
56. A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar
57. Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
58. Mongrels by Stephen Jones
59. Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone
60. A Man Lies Dreaming by Lavie Tidhar
61. Villa Triste by Patrick Modiano
62. Home is the Sailor by Jorge Amado
63. The Gentleman by Forrest Leo
64. Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older
65.The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown by Vaseem Khan
66. Confessions of the Lioness by Mia Couto
67. Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch
68.Let's Play Make Believe by James Patterson
69.Night of the Animals by Bill Broun

Only 5 books this month, but there were some good ones. And I crossed off a book written by a musician. I've got my Wildcard requested through ILL and am ready to get through challenges 14, 19, and 20 this coming month. Wahoo!

70. The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville - An alternate history/weird fiction type thing. A bomb is detonated in Nazi occupied Paris that gives life to surreal artwork. This really reminded me of some Sean Stewart, particularly Night Watch and Galveston. I enjoyed this. You probably will too if you like Mieville or want to read a short book has a lot of references to surreal art.

71. The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr - A proud rooster defends his coop against the dark forces of the Wyrm. This book definitely had sort of a medieval feel. You could almost see it listed alongside Pilgrim's Progress or whatnot. It was however, really good. It took me a bit to get into, but in the end I really enjoyed it. If you can take some religion in your talking rooster stories, this is for you.

72. Everfair by Nisi Shawl - "Steampunk" set in King Leopold's Belgian Congo. A group of Fabian socialists buys a large swath of the Congo to repatriate American slaves and to take in refugees from the rubber plantations. Naturally they run into problems with Leopold. The story is told somewhat like Asimov's Foundation series, where it mostly focuses on the critical parts of the colony's history, mostly it's war against Leopold, it's role in WW1, and eventually it's role within Africa and the conflict between colonizers and locals. The story suffers somewhat through this structure. I feel it could have been better had it focused a bit more. I also felt that Shawl's choice of what to show was not what I'd have picked. There are numerous instances of showing sort of the buildup to an issue and then the results, without ever address the actual resolution. That being said it's still an interesting book.

73. Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters - An alternate history set in the present day. Abraham Lincoln was assassinated as the president elect causing congress to go back and adopt the Crittenden Compromise. Economic pressures lead some states to voluntarily swear off slavery, but there are still the Hard 4, southern states where "People Bound to Labor" toil away as a free source of labor. Our protagonist is a former slave now working for the US Marshals as a catcher of fugitive slaves. I liked this. It has sort of a mystery/thriller vibe (unsurprisingly, as it's billed as a thrilling mystery). The world, to me, feels well realized, and draws some interesting parallels to actual modern day.

74. Crazy from the Heat by David Lee Roth - I've wanted to read this for forever. Not because of any enduring interest in Van Halen. Or David Lee Roth. Mostly because of NewsRadio where Bill gives Dave a copy for his birthday. As soon as I saw the challenge, I knew this was the book I was getting. This is not a great book if you want some sort of detailed timeline of Van Halen or some sort of "coherent narrative". If you want to feel like you're sitting around shooting the poo poo with Diamond Dave for awhile, this is the book you want. There were some moments where I genuinely laughed until I cried. What comes through more than anything is Dave's sense of showmanship. You get the distinct feeling that he lives in the crazy technicolor world from his videos.

1) Vanilla Number 74/45
2) Something written by a woman - 5, 7, 18, 17, 16, 21, 23, 26, 31, 32, 34, 35, 41, 42, 47, 52, 56, 64, 72
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - 5, 16, 19, 22, 24, 31, 33, 39, 45, 48, 56, 62, 64, 65, 72
4) Something written in the 1800s - 14
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)- 21, 31
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - 7, 12, 71
7) A collection of essays.
8) A work of Science Fiction - 6, 16, 19, 52, 54, 64, 69, 72, 73
9) Something written by a musician - 74
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - 2, 16, 69
11) Read something about or set in NYC - 1, 33, 34, 51
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - 68
13) Read Something YA - 30
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23,24,25, 29, 35, 39, 45, 52, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63, 64, 65, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - 2, 6, 30, 74
17) The First book in a series - 13, 17, 18, 21, 25, 38, 49
18) A biography or autobiography - 28, 74
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection - 7, 11, 34, 41
22) It’s a Mystery - 15, 17, 24, 43, 48, 65, 73

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
October Books

65. The Black Count by Tom Reiss
I enjoyed this a lot. As people probably know it is a biography of Alexandre Dumas' father who he put in his books in different forms, as well as his father's "enemies". Alexandre thought of his father as a hero and probably was even without the exaggerations by his son. It's set during the French revolution and has a good deal of French history mixed in as well as some surprising things about his father Thomas Alexandre. He was a black man in France, ended up being a general in the army and personally met with and spoke to Napoleon Bonaparte.

66. Solaris by Stanisław Lem
This is a re-read. Still as good, one of my all time favorite sci-fi novels. if not books Simply amazing, a must read.

67. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
It was a good and easy read, but I think kind of forgettable. The jumps in time in books are fine to an extent, but I think like Death's End, can get tedious and break up the story too much. I did like it, but I don't think it will be something I think about a year from now.

68. Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
This was good and is the final book in my booklord challenge. It's a collection of essays that talk about black experience in America and in Europe. He starts by talking about books and movies that he thinks are bad for black culture that think are doing a great service to it. He then moves more toward his experience with being a black man. I'm more in to fiction, so I kind of skimmed a lot of this and probably didn't give it the chance it deserves.

69. 1984 by George Orwell
It's one of those books you know everything about and have always been meaning to read, but think you already know too much, so why bother. It was a good read though, I can see why it's so popular, it's well-written, a great story, and an interesting world that probably inspired many books since. I think maybe the book he read out of was kind of repetitive and not as great, but find. In that part of the book, it hammers concepts over and over in both sections. One of the more interesting aspects of reading great American Literature are the phrases that are still in use. Like down the memory hole, and the boot stomping on a face forever, there are probably more. Same was true of Moby Dick.

70. Right Ho, Jeeves! by P.G Wodehouse
This was clever and funny. Jeeves is such a great character, the way he quietly defies Bertie by conspiring against his choice of jacket, to behind the scenes trying to clean up the messes Bertie creates.

71. The Ox-Bow Incidentby Walter Van Tilburg Clark
Really really good book, I loved it. I loved almost everything about this book. It is the second western this year that blew me away, Warlock was the previous one. The writing, the western setting, the characters, everything fit together so well for a really good story. In a small run down western town, two men come come in to town as winter ends and the thaw starts and discover there has been someone stealing cattle. Early on, a cattle thief murders a well-loved rancher and the story gets going with a lynching party hungry for blood. It has as I have come to expect in good Westerns a lot of talk of justice and law and some philosophy mixed in.

72. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
I read this for a late October book and it was good. The story is pretty straight forward, but it is peppered with this dreamy and almost poetic prose that gives it a completely different feel. One night on October 26th, a carnival rolls in to town and two boys who are best friends go out and watch them set up. It becomes clear something evil is going on and the boys become intimately involved in putting s stop to the plans of the people running the show.

73. The Color Purple by Alice Walkery
This book was good at portraying life in America as a black woman during Jim Crow. Surprisingly uplifting after a really hard start for the main character and her sister. Good writing and a good story and a good read. The main character in this book is sent off to be married against her will by her father who doesn't seem to care for her other than for he work or other unmentionable things. Her and her sister are separated early on by the marriage and her sister's running away. Neither know the fate of the other while Celie, the main character deals with men who beat her and force her to work.

Vanilla Number 73/50
Something written by a woman A lot of them
Something Written by a nonwhite author The Sellout
Something written in the 1800s Frankenstein
Something History Related Devil in the White City
A book about or narrated by an animal The Call of the Wild
A collection of essays Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
A work of Science Fiction Ender’s Shadow
Something written by a musician Wolf in a White Van
Read a long book, something over 500 pages A Little Life
Read something about or set in NYC A Little Life
Read Airplane fiction Patriot Games
Read Something YA The Art of Fielding
Wildcard! How to Be Both
Something recently published My Name is Lucy barton
That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now To Kill A Mockingbird
The First book in a series My Brilliant Friend
A biography or autobiography The Black Count by Tom Reiss
Read something from the lost generation The Sun Also Rises
Read a banned book Frankenstein
A Short Story collection The Dubliners
t’s a Mystery The Name of the Rose

I'm done with the booklord challenge.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

October - 9:

62. A General Theory of Oblivion (José Eduardo Agualusa)
63. From the Mouth of the Whale (Sjón)
64. The Rabbit Back Literature Society (Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen)
65. VALIS (Philip K. Dick)
66. High-Rise (JG Ballard)
67. The Heart Goes Last (Margaret Atwood)
68. The Hungry Ghosts (Shyam Selvadurai)
69. The Dream of the Celt (Mario Vargas Llosa)
70. Ficciones (Jorge Luis Borges)

A General Theory of Oblivion was brilliant. I had a slow Saturday afternoon with the missus asleep and read it in one sitting. A very beautiful book about the changes in Angola through independence from Portugal and the civil war, as seen by a character hiding in an apartment she's walled off from the rest of the world. It reads like a group of connected short stories, and the main character Ludo's poetry.

From the Mouth of the Whale is by an Icelandic novelist. It's the story of Jonas the Learned, a philosopher in 16th-century Iceland who is exiled from his country but not actually allowed to leave it. It's very odd and interesting - I'm not sure it 100% clicked for me, but it was definitely an experience.

The Rabbit Back Literature Society is about a group of writers in a rural town in Finland. The leader of the group disappears and the newly-inducted 10th member tries to puzzle out the nature of the group and a mysterious secret they seem to be hiding. I'm not doing it justice, but it was very good and rode an interesting magical-realism line.

VALIS was loving bizarre. I don't think I've read enough Dick, or indeed conspiracy theory religious stuff, to really get it. My wife assures me this isn't representative and I just picked badly.

High-Rise was excellent. Ballard is a master when it comes to writing social disintegration.

The Heart Goes Last was another social-collapse dystopia which makes quite a few with High-Rise, Blindness and (sort of) A General Theory as well. Atwood is playing at home with this one. I feel like it's not saying anything Oryx & Crake didn't say better, but it's still good.

The Hungry Ghosts was fine I guess. It's the story of a Sri Lankan boy whose grandmother dominates his early life as she grooms him to take over her slum landlord empire, his eventual emigration and discovery of his sexuality, and the disintegration of Sri Lanka into civil war. There was lots of good stuff in here, but I couldn't help but feel like it was a bit workmanlike in places. Also I wanted to punch Shivan in his loving idiot face.

The Dream of the Celt was cool, I didn't know anything about Roger Casement but he's a fascinating figure in anti-imperialism and Irish nationalism and Vargas Llosa nails the whole "fictionalised biography" thing.

Finally Ficciones. I feel like Borges was way more educated and intelligent than me and I only barely understand what he's doing here. It was cool though and I'd like to read it again.

Must read my wildcard at some point! Only comes out in paperback on the 15th of November so hopefully soon.

Year to Date - 70:
Booklord: 1-13, 15-22

01. Death and the Penguin (Andrey Kurkov) 6
02. Kitchen (Banana Yoshimoto) 2
03. Sky Burial (Xinran) 3
04. The Shining (Stephen King) 16
05. Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana (Michael Azerrad) 18
06. A Case of Exploding Mangoes (Mohammed Hanif) 12
07. A Visit from the Goon Squad (Jennifer Egan) 11
08. King of the World (David Remnick)
09. Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami)
10. Ubik (Philip K. Dick) 8
11. The Vegetarian (Han Kang) 15
12. Waiting for the Barbarians (J.M. Coetzee)
13. John Crow's Devil (Marlon James)
14. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy) 4
15. The Dream Life of Sukhanov (Olga Grushin)
16. Farewell, Cowboy (Olja Savicevic)
17. A History of Sparta 950-192BC (W.G. Forrest) 5
18. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
19. The Guest Cat (Takashi Hiraida)
20. The Book of Memory (Petina Gappah)
21. The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway) 19
22. Fury (Salman Rushdie)
23. Ninja (John Man)
24. Concrete Island (JG Ballard)
25. A God in Ruins (Kate Atkinson) 10
26. Dead Souls (Nikolai Gogol)
27. Perdido Street Station (China Mieville) 17
28. A Little Life (Hanya Yanagihara)
29. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
30. The Mark and the Void (Paul Murray)
31. The Iliad (Homer)
32. Girls of Riyadh (Rajaa Alsanea) 20
33. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Yukio Mishima)
34. Steampunk! (Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant) 13
35. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (James Joyce)
36. The Chimes (Anna Smaill) 9
37. The Art of Joy (Goliarda Sapienza)
38. Fever Pitch (Nick Hornby)
39. Fateless (Imre Kertesz)
40. Britannia: A History of Roman Britain (Sheppard Frere)
41. Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Haruki Murakami) 22
42. Candide, or Optimism (Voltaire)
43. Dubliners (James Joyce) 21
44. The Fall of the Stone City (Ismail Kadare)
45. Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives (Alan Bullock)
46. The Sympathizer (Viet Thanh Nguyen)
47. Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
48. The Gum Thief (Douglas Coupland)
49. Eric (Terry Pratchett)
50. Beauty is a Wound (Eka Kurniawan)
51. A Wild Sheep Chase (Haruki Murakami)
52. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Aleskandr Solzhenitsyn)
53. Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe (Norman Davies) 7
54. Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error (Kathryn Schulz)
55. Sword Song (Bernard Cornwell)
56. Inez (Carlos Fuentes)
57. Two Years, Eight Months, and Twenty Eight Nights (Salman Rushdie)
58. The Burning Land (Bernard Cornwell)
59. Death of Kings (Bernard Cornwell)
60. Life After Life (Kate Atkinson)
61. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
62. A General Theory of Oblivion (José Eduardo Agualusa)
63. From the Mouth of the Whale (Sjón)
64. The Rabbit Back Literature Society (Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen)
65. VALIS (Philip K. Dick)
66. High-Rise (JG Ballard)
67. The Heart Goes Last (Margaret Atwood)
68. The Hungry Ghosts (Shyam Selvadurai)
69. The Dream of the Celt (Mario Vargas Llosa)
70. Ficciones (Jorge Luis Borges)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Corrode posted:

A General Theory of Oblivion was brilliant. I had a slow Saturday afternoon with the missus asleep and read it in one sitting. A very beautiful book about the changes in Angola through independence from Portugal and the civil war, as seen by a character hiding in an apartment she's walled off from the rest of the world. It reads like a group of connected short stories, and the main character Ludo's poetry.

Glad to see another review for this. It's a great read.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

September/October combined, since they're my busiest months at work and so there's not a ton to report:

Gillian Flynn - Dark Places (I liked this quite a lot although I guessed the twist early. From looking this book up again just now I saw it was made into a movie, maybe I'll watch it. This happened to be 15/15 of my books by women, and 40/40 of my vanilla number, making both of those challenges complete.)
TT Monday - The Set Up Man (A detective book where the detective is also a reliever in the MLB. Goofy but way up my alley so I read it. It was mediocre and silly but I am probably going to read the next one in the series at some point.)
Tana French - The Secret Place (Maybe my least favorite of the Dublin Murder Squad books so far, I really didn't care for the supernatural elements and hope they don't become a thing in the series. Disappointing.)
Mike Meginnis - Fat Man and Little Boy (This was simultaneously depressing and charming, very surreal and an interesting idea though it never really grabbed me and it took me a long time to get through it.)
Thomas Olde Heuvelt - Hex (A pretty spooky story that somebody here in TBB recommended, somewhere. Solid ending. Appropriately, finished it tonight [Halloween!] and read most of it in a mostly empty hotel in the woods with no cell reception).

Booklord Challenge progress:
1) Vanilla Number (currently at 44 of 40)
2) 15 books written by women (currently at 16 of 15)
3) Something written by a nonwhite author (Kiese Laymon - How to Slowly Kill Yourselves and Others in America)
4) Something written in the 1800s (Charles Dickens - Oliver Twist)
5) Something History Related (Thomas King - The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal (Richard Adams - Watership Down)
7) A collection of essays (Charlie Demers - The Horrors)
8) A work of Science Fiction (Joseph Fink - Welcome to Night Vale)
9) Something written by a musician (Carrie Brownstein - Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl)
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages (Tana French - The Likeness)
11) Read something about or set in NYC (Richard Hell - I Dreamed I was a Very Clean Tramp)
12) Read Airplane fiction (Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train)
13) Read Something YA (Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games)
14) Wildcard! (Norman Mailer - The Executioner's Song)
15) Something recently published (Emily V Gordon - Super You)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. (Patti Smith - Just Kids)
17) The First book in a series (Adam Sternbergh - Shovel Ready)
18) A biography or autobiography (RA Dickey - Wherever I Wind Up)
19) Read something from the lost or beat generation
20) Read a banned book (Yevgeny Zamyatin - We)
21) A Short Story collection (Joe Hill - 20th Century Ghosts)
22) It’s a Mystery (Tana French - Faithful Place)

I've just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Once that's done, I'll be finished with my Booklord Challenge, though I still need to read a few more books after that to finish my Goodreads challenge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Arabian Nights: The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 1 translated by Sir Richard Burton
  2. Stasiland by Anna Funder
  3. The Arabian Nights, Volume 2 by Sir Richard Burton
  4. Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. That's Not How You Wash Squirrels: A collection of new essays and emails by David Thorne
    March
  6. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
  7. After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot #29) by Agatha Christie
  8. The Monarch of the Glen (American Gods #1.5) by Neil Gaiman
  9. Alternitech by Kevin J. Anderson
    April
  10. Ransom by David Malouf
  11. Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of by Stuart Ashen
  12. Crucible (Crossfire #2) by Nancy Kress
  13. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
    May
  14. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
  15. Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth #1) by Terry Goodkind
  16. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  17. Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth #2) by Terry Goodkind
  18. The Secret History of Science Fiction by James Patrick Kelly
    June
    July
  19. Oh God Not Again! by Sarah1281
  20. The Arabian Nights, Volume 3 by Sir Richard Burton
    August
  21. Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2) by Holly Black
  22. Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales #3) by Holly Black
  23. TekWar (TekWar #1) by William Shatner
  24. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
  25. Hickory Dickory Dock (Hercule Poirot #30) by Agatha Christie
  26. Prez, Vol. 1: Corndog-in-Chief (Prez #1-6) by Mark Russell, Ben Caldwell & Dominike Stanton
  27. The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood
  28. Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth #3) by Terry Goodkind
  29. The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz #11) by L. Frank Baum
  30. First Person Peculiar by Mike Resnick
    September
  31. Summer of Love: A Time Travel by Lisa Mason
  32. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers
    September
  33. Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood
  34. The End of an Era: Life in Old Eaglehawk and Bendigo by William Perry
  35. The God Engines by John Scalzi
  36. Kiln People by David Brin

Total: 36/52
Female authors: 13/24
Non-Fiction: 4/12
Arabian Nights: 3/10

I don't know why Moral Disorder exists. It's not bad, it's just not really good either. It's not really anything, as far as I can tell. It's kind of weirdly (but not badly) written, and the characters aren't very interesting or remarkable. I also spent a lot of it focused on trying to figure out who I was actually reading about, because it seems intentionally written to obscure identities for no particular reason. I guess I just don't get it. At all.

Now, The End of an Era is badly written but it's interesting despite that. It was actually written by my great-uncle, which is why I read it, and it probably could have been a good read if it had been edited properly, but as it was published after his death I think maybe they didn't want to alter the content? That would explain some of the issues, but it's also full of typos, missing words, repeated words, etc. and the blurb, written by the publisher, looks like something a highschool student would write.

The God Engines was very short and didn't really do much with its premise, which was disappointing, because it seemed like there should have been a lot more to it. It reminded me of an episode of something like The Twilight Zone, where you get the weird setting and a bit of a twist at the end but in a single episode there's no room to develop the idea very far.

And I hate Kiln People. Hate it. It's not just that it's bad, it's that it starts out really good. The setting seemed neat, I liked the protagonist, the story was getting pretty interesting, and then it all collapsed into a giant pile of utter wank. Starting somewhere after the half-way point, the plot goes completely off the rails. If it had carried on as it started, I might even have given it five stars, but it doesn't. And what it turns into is so far removed from how it began that it destroys any good will I had toward it.

I also read The Phantom: Death of a Pirate Queen (pretty unremarkable by Phantom standards) but as it's a 36-page comic I'm not going to count it.

See my Goodreads for full reviews.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
July-Oct

I've been so busy with school that writing this up has just been something easily put off, also haven't been reading as much as I would have liked but I'm still on track to hit my goal.

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome Jerome - A humorous book about three rich dandies taking a pleasure cruise down a river. Very entertaining.

A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara - I read a review of this that described this novel as "misery porn" and while I enjoyed it overall, I can't really argue with that description.

Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card - The second book in the Ender's shadow series, solid but forgettable.

Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey - An autobiographical account of one man's experience as a park ranger in the desert. I liked this a lot for the writer's views on how we're destroying national parks due to our need for convenience. Also was depressing since the time of writing what he described as almost certainly come to pass in the areas he talks about.

Girl Waits with Gun - Amy Stewart - A solid detective novel about a trio of sisters who live by themselves on their farm and become the target of a rich rear end in a top hat.

The 42nd Parallel - John Dos Passos - A novel follwing several characters in the U.S. around the 1900's interspersed with biographies of notable people and weird recollections of the author. I found it interesting for the descriptions of life at the time and the idea that the characters didn't really have many redeeming qualities, they were just throroughly average people.

The Death of Ivan Ilych - Leo Tolstoy - A frank novel about the effects of Death on the people we leave behind, which sadly isn't as much as we usually think.

A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay - A novel about a mentally ill girl mistaken for being possessed and her sister's experience. It was alright.

Lisey's Story - Stephen King - A novel about a widow who's husband had a supernatural gift and used it to leave her messages after he died. Standard King writing p much.

World Wide Wrestling: The RPG - Nathan D Paoletta - WRASSLIN'

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon - A novel written from the perspective of an autistic child trying to solve the mystery of who killed his neighbor's dog. A touching, seemingly accurate account.

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick - A novel set in the near future where America has lost the war on drugs and addicts are everywhere. A very sad novel, as Dick humanizes the addicts in the story as they slowly lose their minds or lives.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - JK Rowling - A play set years after the book series and focuses on the children of the main characters. Pretty much take all of the dumb things from the series and throw them together and watch what happens. A fun read.

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown - I had read the Da Vinci Code in high school so I figured I'd knock the airplane fiction category out with this book. Entertaining, but dumb.

Go Tell it on the Mountain - James Baldwin - A novel that deals with how African Americans were treated in the 30's. Rich with religious imagery, I really liked it as it set up the expectations for characters and then went into their backstories and changed how you saw them.

The Troop - Nick Cutter - A novel about an unfortunate Scout troop that are camping on a quarantined island. Don't read this is you can't stand tapeworms.

Booklord Challenge
1) 50/60
2) Something written by a woman - Go Set A Watchman
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Spelunky
4) Something written in the 1800s - The Brothers Karamazov
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Samurai!
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - The Art of Racing in the Rain
7) A collection of essays. - Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection of New Essays
8) A work of Science Fiction - Robot Dreams
9) Something written by a musician - Kanye West Owes Me $300...
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Brothers Karamazov
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Tom Clancy's The Division: New York Collapse
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - Angels and Demons
13) Read Something YA - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
14) Wildcard! - Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes - Tony Kushner
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Empires of Eve: A History of the Great Empires of Eve Online
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Ender's Shadow
17) The First book in a series - Wool
18) A biography or autobiography - Bossypants
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - The 42nd Parallel
20) Read a banned book - Catch 22
21) A Short Story collection - About Time: 12 Short Stories
22) It’s a Mystery. - Murder on the Orient Express

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2016

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

October

50. Borders of Infinity. Louis McMaster Bujold. Three short stories in the space opera universe of the Vorkosigan saga. The first story was good, the second was fun, and the third was pretty good even if some stuff was just plain implausible.
51. Red Country. Joe Abercrombie. A great book kind of slow. Too many useless plot threads with amazing characters in a westernized fantasy setting... a little too much, but still good.
52. Anvil of Stars. Greg Bear. Not as good as the first book in the series, quite slow and claustrophobic. Not many surprises.
53. All the Names. José Saramago. Like a dystopia were almost no one has a name. Saramago gives us his usual prose with a weirdly attractive story that touches the real world and takes it to familiar and strange places.

Booklord challenge
1) Vanilla Number 53/60
2) Something written by a woman - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author La otra historia de México: Juárez y Maximiliano I by Armando Fuentes Aguirre.
4) Something written in the 1800s
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
6) A book about or narrated by an animal
7) A collection of essays. Death by Black Hole by Neal DeGrasse Tyson
8) A work of Science Fiction - Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey.
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.
11) Read something about or set in NYC - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA. Harry Potter and the Globet of Fire by J.K. Rowling.
14) Wildcard! Ragnarok by AS Byatt.
15) Something recently published
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin.
17) The First book in a series - The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket.
18) A biography or autobiography - Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book. The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
21) A Short Story collection. Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov
22) It’s a Mystery - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
one of the 2017 book lord challenges should be 'read one of the SA books of the month and comment in the thread at least once'

then i might actually do that for once

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chernobyl kinsman posted:

one of the 2017 book lord challenges should be 'read one of the SA books of the month and comment in the thread at least once'

That's a really good idea.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The challenge should be to not read any text at all.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I don't even know my numbers anymore, so here's my October books.

Barbarian Days by William Finnegan

The Unfortunates by Sophie McMannus.

Also, I'd like to say that per tradition, I'm stepping down as book lord and offering up the spot to anyone who wants it for next year. It's a bit of hard work, so be forewarned, it's gonna be a crazy the first couple of days.Also, make your challenge different from the previous one.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'll step up as 2017 book lord.

The book of the month thing was something I already had in mind so glad to see other people think it's a good idea.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Corrode posted:

The book of the month thing was something I already had in mind so glad to see other people think it's a good idea.

I've been reading every BOTM this year as an individual challenge anyway, it's a good and cool idea. Not all of the BOTMs have been equally huge hits with me but it's made me read several interesting books I would probably never have thought to read otherwise.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 The Ministery of Fear by Graham Greene. Another thriller where the most interesting thing is the setting, this time London under the blitz. I considered including him as part of the lost generation (born 5 years after Hemmingway) but gently caress it.
2 The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. Keepin' it 'Carthy.
3 The Ipcress File by Len Deighton. I liked the film so much I decided to read the book. He goes abroad in this one, and gets a lot more snide remarks in. 17
4 The Candles of Your Eyes by James Purdy. Whole bunch of very short stories. Not as good as his other stuff, to my mind. Considered including him as a beat (same birth year as Burroughs) but gently caress it. 21
5 The Barnum Museum by Steven Milhauser. streets folding like pages in a book... fall through them, feeling only a chill in the air... [text from the about the author slip in a victorian novel... megadose of American Borges but much less lovable to my mind. 13
6 A Visit from the Goon Squad. A novel in the form of a collection of short stories, abandoning what makes novels good. Development and suspense are abandoned as as she ping pongs through lives. Includes a fairly funny cod DFW and some fairly terrible predicted future. The next generation will speak in text speach (remember that?) and, for some reason, all of the stock slides that come with power point. 11
7 The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Of interest to Catholics only.
8 Letters to Sir WIlliam Temple by Dorothy Osbourne. Incredibly charming collection of love letters from the 1600s. One to read again 5
9 Bech: A Life by John Updike. Pretty funny novella in the mold of Pnin. You loving bet I broke down a "The Complete Bech" to make the numbers go up higher.
10 Bech is Back & Bech in Czech by John Updike. The second half, I'm not a bad enough dude to count a 30 page short story as number 11. Less lovable as Bech gets married and has an affair with her sister in short order, reflecting later that it's her fault. That's our John, I guess.
11 A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipul. A guy gets lumbered with property in Africa and doesn't sell at the most oppourtune time. The First Naipul I read, guy's a good stylist. 3
12 A Friend of Kafka by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by the author and many others. Short stories about a Jewish Pole now living in New York who insists in writing in Hebrew by a etc etc. I much preferred the magical ones in this collection.
13 The New Confessions by William Boyd. Another old fake biography by Boyd, this time of a Scottish film director who becomes obsessed with Rosseau. Occasionally so researched the weight of it deforms the book but enjoyable enough. 10
14 The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield. Boy I'd read a lot of these already.
15 The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. Really enjoyed the beginning and end, though I must say I found the conclusion a little stagily unconvincing. 4
16 The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton. Micro-detective stories with about 2 pages of local colour, 6 pages of mystery, then 2 pages where Brown delivers the punchline. Mostly about how hosed-up foreigners are and how rational the Catholic church is. 22
17 The Tremor of Forgery by Patricia Highsmith. There are so many dark intimations of danger in the background that I didn't realize it's basically The Stranger until 20 pages from the end.
18 A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley. I shelved this a while ago as I didn't really think the prose was interesting enough to get me to care. I still think that, to be honest.
19 The Hireling by L.P. Hartley. I bought this because I had the chance to buy The Go Between and didn't so I was feeling guilty. The guy read's fast but is entirely about forelock tugging and so I can see why he was popular in his day and is not at all now.
20 Anne of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennet. Mostly a description of the pottery industry in the early 19th Centuary with a little romance written around it. Some good stuff.
21 Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. I was going to read Sylvia's Lovers but a first google spat out that she called it her most depressing book so I went with this one instead. OK, variable,
22 Persuasion by Jane Austen. You bet I'm trying to read a bunch of women this year. It's good stuff, hurt a bit by my inability to learn character's names, they all seem to be called Frederick or Charles.
23 The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst. This was pressed into my hands with the adjective "Jamesian" which I guess means it's about vicious rich people and nothing really happens. Has all the sex James left out and then some.
24 The Letters of John Cheever edited by Benjamin Cheever. Apparently he only wrote regularly to about 5 people, and Ben went and cut out the catty segments to spare some blushes. The extensive notes are really good though, especially giving background to John's love letters to men.
25 Lois the Witch and other stories by Elizabeth Gaskell. I think this is from a penguin grouping of horror stories, so this collection is all about idiot's misunderstanding of supernatural forces going out and hurting someone. S'good.
26 Correction by Thomas Bernhard as translated by Sophie WIlkins. I found myself thinking of The Cone so I gave this one a re-read.
27 May We be Forgiven by A.M. Homes. I actually bought this in hardback back when I lightly paid attention to current lit (listened to Saturday Review) and it sounded fun and violent, and it does start off with a visceral thrill as the piggy feared elder brother kills about 5 people and then pisses himself, but then it settles down into just low-level unpleasantness over 300 pages. It sort of strains credulity that the guy can't buy aspirin without being barred from the chemist for life. Plot is a satire of crap American lit of successful academic with hollow life learns to love again. I mean, they say he's learnt but he just sort of meekly has stuff imposed on him by the aforesaid unpleasant people. They load this sap up with pets, children, a girlfriend, even somebody else's parents by the end ("it's just a random collection of people!" a grandmother in law remarks on the concluding thanksgiving dinner. I guess I'm meant to smile wryly but, you know, it really just is). I think he's meant to be moving away from materialism but every loving good deed this guy does he's rewarded with stacks of untaxable cash so I'm not sure that's it. The prose is leaden and she thinks that if a joke's good once it's good ten or more so times. Just garbage. 2
28 Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Yeah, that's the stuff.
29 One Man's Meat by E.B. White. Likable enough series of essays, mostly about farming though occasionally he'll talk about the rise of Hitler or America's place in the world. 7
30 Peace by Gene Wolfe. How do you make closely written childhood memories and theorizing about the nature of truth sci-fi? Sketch a vague framing device and imply some nuclear event. A fun book. 8
31 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Maybe sorta light, also my copy didn't have any notes so I didn't get most of the literary parodies.
32 Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. I'm never smart enough to actually read these to solve them but I just like the characterization of Whimsey.
33 Jamaica Inn by Daphne DuMaurier. It was pointed out to me I've never read any of hers even though it'd take five minutes. Super broad-strokes in everything but she achieves her effects. I really should have read this like... a decade and change ago.
33 Devoted Ladies by M.J. Farrell (Molly Keane). Never heard of her but the publisher puts out some good stuff so I thought it was worth a tug. I had to go back and read the introduction because I wasn't sure what I had just read. A lesbian couple where the butch Jessica torments the lovely Jane to liver-failure, and go on holiday to Ireland where they meet June and, breaking the theme, Piggy who also seem to have a thing going. Published 1934 and without a subsequent obscenity case so things are... well not fuzzy, just absent. Apart from the fact that they hate each other you wouldn't know they're together. Occasionally has great breaks of descriptive fancy and is filled with grotesques. 19
34 Portrait of a Marriage by Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson. Structurally a very interesting book, as Nige discovered his mother's confession of a disastrous lesbian affair and polished it up for publication. She goes in for fairy-tale romanticizing and he comes in to account for the facts. Which is handy as one sort of gets lost in the fug of family scandals in Vita's text which Nigel manages to pin down quite neatly. Lord Seery, for instance, is first presented as colossal balloon of a person, filled with joy and laughter who was always a joy to the child Vita when he visited (though she was briefed he must be rolled discretely to another room in case he falls dead in front of her mother's bedroom door). Then Nigel comes in with some conservative estimates about any relationship between him and his grandmother ("some patting") before moving in to the financial gifts and ensuing court-case over his will. So it's a broken-backed narrative, with the flush of emotion followed by what actually happened 30 pages later, with a coda added about how they were, against appearances, a very happy married couple, along with a couple of shoe-horned mentions of Virginia Woolf. 18
35 Emma by Jane Austen. Finishing off my birthday present. About 30 pages in I recognized that I had read this before, but still, very good. Austen writes selfish people well.
36 Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. Much better than Cranford, and a very enjoyable 19th Centuary novel.
37 Arthurian Romances by Chrétien de Troyes in a prose translation bt William W. Kibler and Carleton W. Carrol. All the lances splintering against gorgets you could ask for. Episodic stories of knights knocking against each other like conkers, but they group of stories definitely explore a theme (Eric and Enide about love, the Story of the Grail about morality) which I guess is why Troyes was a genius.Translation is miles away from the original, of course, but I don't feel the urge to go and learn medieval French, to be honest.
38 Right Ho Jeeves by P.G. Woodhouse. The weather was nice so I read a Woodhouse. This is the one where Betram upsets the chef by convincing everybody to dolefully decline their food in a lovelorn manner, if you're interested.
39 Cities of the Red Night by William S. Burroughs. First book of his that I've read where he was sober enough to carry on a story in between chapters, though it falls apart a bit midway through.
40 The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth as translated by Michael Hoffman. This is really good. Traditional European novel structure that I really like but Roth's ability to conjure an apropos image. I had left it for a while as it seemed a little beefy but this read really fast.
41 The Wings of the Dove by Henry James. A full novel of James is too much James for me. 16
42 The Nether World by George Gissing. Completing this mostly to free up the bookmark. I just found Gissing's prose here not great.
43 JR by William Gaddis. Finally completed my re-read of this. I had last given up just before the really great bits in the novel so this went by a lot quicker.
44 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. Love that Conrad
45 And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America edited by Rosario Santos. 1989 collection of short (really short!) stories meant to show Central America is more than the land of coups and death squads. The stories are mostly about coups and death squads. The eponymous story about IMF intervention is A+.
46 Chromatic Cinema: A History of Screen Colour by Richard Misek. I went for this hoping it'd have more detail on the technical aspects of colour film and, while there was a little of that, it's mostly about the artistic uses. Included a chapter in the middle, moving from notable "colouration used to denote a change in time", discussing where chronologically offset scenes do not make any special use of colour. And a lot of discussion of the Van Sant Psycho, glad to see that film found an audience in FilmCrit.
47 The Echo Maker by Richard Powers. Mel rec'd this, and seems to really like it, and I cannot understand what he sees in it. A painfully dutiful older sister of a no-goodnik is summoned back to flyover country after he's had a car crash, developing one of those interesting head injuries you hear about in Oliver Sacks books (namely, he thinks she's an impostor). Just as you're thinking that along comes an Oliver Sacks stand-in (I think one of his books is called "The Man Who Confused his Spouse for a Chapeau") to bitch about book reviewer and to show off Power's research. Now I don't know if the real Sacks family talk about Pair Bonding whenever they hug, but I pity them if they did. The author flies in and out, the brother recreates an uneasy detente with his now alien loved ones, and the sister picks up both old ex-boyfriends at once, while being bedevilled by a super sexy but mysterious nurse, one part of a ludicrous mystery of a scrawled note which I think was meant to upgrade this tome to a page turner. I didn't find the prose very good (the only thing that I remember now was Powers swerving to avoid saying the word Toblerone) and I didn't piece together what makes this a fable of our fragmented world. Sorry Mel. 14
48 A Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava. I read this in parallel because apparently it's Gaddisean, which I reject. I might venture to label it as Wallacean but no further. Basically this book would be great if you find extreme verbosity, in and of itself, very funny. It's not a dog eat dog world, it's a kennel of canines of cannibalistic carnivorousness. Everybody talks like that, or maybe there's just one guy who never shuts up, I'm not sure. The book shines when de la Pava is discussing issues of law. As you'd expect from a professional public defender he's got a mastery of the subject and can spin a debate about whether a van can be labelled a building or not for pages and pages, and it's all fascinating in spite of the extremely grating tone. But the majority of the novel is much less gripping, sort of madcap antics you find in a bad Pyncheon book.
49 North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Took the opportunity of the last two books making this one seem short. Much better than Cranford in that you think that she had something to say.
50 Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow. I was sort of dreading this because it's a 50s american author's africa novel but it's pretty good! Self-loathing pig farmer and pig-man learns to be miserable with better grace. Or something like that.
51 Passions by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by various. I should read these again.
52 I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It's weird how the men in this are innocent fools and the source of all intrigue is feminine. I'd call it an unreliable narrator but I don't think Claudius' character is interesting enough for that. Still a fun book of intrigue.
53 Carpenter's Gothic by WIlliam Gaddis. I must admit I read this again just to tick off the airport fiction challenge, but it struck me much more favourably than the last time I read it. I mean, it's still got authors yelling about fundies but there's a lot of beautiful stuff here.12
54 Howard's End by E.M. Forster. Ya I can see why this is the most favoured Forster. Better than Where Angels Fear at least.
55 The Steal Flee by N. S. Leskov as translated by someone or other. Did the Penguin. Sure this is 40 pages in large font on small pages, but this came in a bound volume that cost someone 60p and was shoved in front of my nose to see if I got it or not. I didn't, really, I mean it was very funny but I couldn't tell you who Leskov was. I guess if someone pushed a larger volume of short stories in front of me I'd read those happily.
56 The Prime Minister volume 1 by Anthony Trollope. A book of two very vaguely connected stories: Lord Palliser, duke of Omnium, he of the tonne of Palliser books that came before, finally gets to assemble a cabinet and form a government and stuff it with every other walk-in and bit-part from those books, with Phineas Finn as the Irish secretary. Occasionally they chat about the corn laws or whatever. Meanwhile, a sinister speculator develops a galloping case of semitism as he tries to marry into a very old, rich family. He goes from having "perhaps a trace of hassidic heritage" to being the greasiest, most scheming jew-boy to ever sell a harp on the street (like they all do) as the news of his suite echoes down the members of this awful family of landowners. Claims that Trollope is poking fun at other's anti-semitism are only slightly hurt by him actually being a bit of a rotter.
57 The Prime Minister volume 2 by Trollope again. Now having married this fairhaired young rose of England, this swarthy swine proceeds to lose a fair bit of money speculating on guano and African liquer, embarrass the Prime Minister, before stepping in front of a train (really good bit to read in isolation, check the gutenberg for "Tenways"). Then the book goes on for another two-hundred pages. I must confess these two came bound in one volume but they restarted the page numbers and I'm juking the numbers.
58 Towards The Radical Centre: A Karel Čapek Reader as edited by Peter Truss, with translations by various. After being so sold on Newts I must say this was a bit of a disappointment. Two things this reader brought to the fore is how terribly domestic Čapek was and that he couldn't write women and shouldn't try. Now domesticity is all well and good but when there are numerous essays about what his cat might be thinking, or a gardener's relationship with the soil, I really must object. As for the women, though Russom's Universal Robots has some of that fun stuff that made Newts so good, its first act has a woman who comes to the factory hoping to proselytise to the robots about the common good, before meeting the factory board who explain she is a very silly woman after all. Having conceded the fact that she's ever so silly, the CEO or whatever of RUR explains that she simply has to marry him, or another of his board of directors, because they are all simply head over heels in love. The curtain falls as they all advance on her and, after the interval, we find her celebrating her ten year wedding anniversary. It's also... not that well structured a play? Neither's the Markropolous Affair (good liberetto though) but The Mother was an acceptable Ibsen-like, surprisingly.
59 The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. I still like this.

60 Woodcutters by Thomas Bernahrd as translated by David McLintlock. Got this back from the person I lent it to ages ago. Bernard's so good. 1
61 The Scapegoat by Daphne DuMaurier. I only really kept plugging on with this one because I needed to return it. Dream-like plot about being his French doppleganger's replacement just didn't interest me.
62 Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin as translated by James E. Falen. Always a great anxiety about saying you've read poetry in translation. A very sensitive introductory essay though.
63 Selections from the Rev. Francis Kilvert's Diary edited by William Plomer. A surprise! Kilvert is a fluent and very engaging diarist, writing about his life priesting for a remote Welsh village in the last quarter of the 19th Century. I'd really reccomend people to read this one.
64 Short Friday and other stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer, translated by various. He really is a baffling author. Need to read some criticism of him.
Rites of Passage by William Golding. Lords of the Flies with adults, on a ship. I dunno, I'm still unsure what makes this guy so great.
65 Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White. High-falutin book which tries to haul the crucifixion, with all mysteries intact, out to Australia. I guess I didn't give it a fair hearing.
66 The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I reread this very quickly. Still got some great images of beauty there.
67 The Riddle of the Sands by Irskine Childers. Well written adventure novel.
68 The Sword of Dawn by Michael Moorcock. A badly written sci-fi one.
69 We by Yevgeny Zamyatin as translated by Bernard Guilbert Guerny. A much better one.

69/60
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

CestMoi posted:

The challenge should be to not read any text at all.

Oh man wouldn't that rule.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 3, 2016

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Bandiet posted:

1. The Stranger by Albert Camus
2. Sonnets by William Shakespeare
3. One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
4. Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
5. Hunger by Knut Hamsun
6. City On Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg
7. The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka
8. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
9. Kafka Translated by Michelle Woods
10. Some Haystacks Don't Even Have Any Needle, compiled by Stephen Dunning
11. One Of Us by Åsne Seierstad
12. Once On A Time by AA Milne
13. Scenes From Village Life by Amos Oz
14. Hystopia by David Means
15. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
16. The Black Swans by Margaret Scott
17. L'Assommoir by Émile Zola
18. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
19. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
20. The Book of Tobit edited by Carey A. Moore
21. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
22. The Hatred Of Poetry by Ben Lerner
23. Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
24. Guide To Kulchur by Ezra Pound
25. Mr Cogito by Zbigniew Herbert
26. Amerika by Franz Kafka
27. Watt by Samuel Beckett
28. The Marvels, by Brian Selznick
29. The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
30. Elfin Rhymes by 'Norman'
31. Death To The Pigs and Other Writings by Benjamin Péret
32. The Worst Boy In School by Michael J. McCafferry

Vanilla Number: 32/75
Read Something YA: The Marvels
Something written by a woman: Kafka Translated
Something written in the 1800s: Hunger
Something History Related: One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch
Read a long book, something over 500 pages: One Of Us
Read something about or set in NYC: City On Fire
Something recently published: Hystopia
That one book you've wanted to read for a while now: The Blind Owl
The First book in a series: My Brilliant Friend
Read something from the lost generation: Winesburg, Ohio
Read a banned book: Madame Bovary
A Short Story collection: Kafka's Complete Stories

33. The Enormous Room, by E.E. Cummings. Funny prose.

34. Death In Venice, by Thomas Mann. Reread.

35. Monologue Of A Dog, by Wisława Szymborska. Bad poetry.

Vanilla Number: 35/75

Bandiet fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Corrode posted:

All yours. Good luck and godspeed to you.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Corrode posted:

It would be cool if you had some loosely defined categories in the mix. Last year there was a category like "The Color Red" which pushed me to read a book on color theory while other people read the Scarlet Letter or whatever. I liked how open to interpretation some of them were. Just my opinion!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I haven't updated since April because I suck!

May
26. This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch it- David Wong
27.The Ocean at the End of the Lane- Neil Gaiman. Maybe this is an okay book by itself but to me it just felt extremely derivative of Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books but not as good.
28. The Silmarillion- JRR Tolkien. Yearly re-read.
29. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream- Harlan Ellison
30.Star Wars: Before the Awakening- Greg Rucka
31. Earth Abides- George R. Stewart. This sucked. It's the story of a dude trying to survive after the world's population is decimated by disease but he spends the whole time internally whining about how superior he is to everyone else and how much better he could make the new society he lives in without ever actually doing anything about it.
32. Lagoon- Nnedia Okorafor
33. Mission Control: Inventing the Groundwork of Spaceflight- Michael Peter Johnson. With all the writing skill of your average undergrad, Johnson spends 160 pages on excruciating minutiae. Have you ever wondered whether mission control at JPL had tile or carpeted floors in 1972 (carpet), or, more importantly, what color that flooring was (blue)? If so, then congratulations! You're the most boring person in the world and this is the perfect book for you.

June
34. City of Blades- Robert Jackson Bennett. Owns. Great, incredibly original fantasy about a world trying to adjust after a war that left the literal gods dead. Also isn't set in generic medieval Europe and full of white people, which I love.
35. The Sun Also Rises- Ernest Hemingway
36. Elantris- Brandon Sanderson. I enjoy Sanderson's work, but dang if all his stuff doesn't have the exact same characters: politically savvy lady and dude with magic who leads a band of plucky outcasts.

July
37. Alan Turing: The Enigma- Andrew Hodges.
38. Stiletto- Daniel O'Malley. Seriously my favorite urban fantasy ever.
39. Impact- Douglas Preston. Read this for the airport fiction category and man did it suck. I am not joking when I say that multiple female characters were introduced by a physical description of their breasts.
40. The Price of Valor- Django Wexler. I love this series. If you want some Napoleonic-era fantasy with LGBT characters this is your jam, trust me.
41. Blood Oath- Christopher Farnsworth. This is about a vampire who serves as magical secret service to the President. Sounds good, but the book takes itself way too seriously for it to actually be enjoyable in any way.

August
42. Promise of Blood- Brian McClellan
43. The Crimson Campaign- Brian McClellan
44. Island- Aldous Juxley
45. The Guns of Empire- Django Wexler
46. The Song of Achilles- Madeline Miller

September
47. Welcome to Night Vale- Joseph Fink
48. The Monuments Men- Robert Edsel
49. Death in Venice- Thomas Mann
50. Shadow Divers- Robert Kurson
51. A Conspiracy of Decency- Emmy E. Werner.
52. Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War 1941-1945- Leo Marks. A firsthand account of the codemaking and -breaking activities of the SOE during WWII. I'm not sure how much of it I actually believe, but it was very entertaining regardless.
53. Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact- John Cornwell. All Those Dudes You Learned About in High School Science Class Were Nazis: the book
54. The Fall of France: The Nazi Invasion of 1940- Julian T. Jackson
55. Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory- Ben Macintyre. "Assured an allied victory" is probably overstating, but this is a great read if you want to learn more about some of the truly kooky poo poo that went down in WWII.
56. The Ghost Army of World War II: How One Top-Secret Unit Deceived the Enemy with Inflatable Tanks, Sound Effects, and Other Audacious Fakery- Rick Beyer.

October
57. Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside the Center- Ray Monk. Turns out Oppenheimer was a huge shithead. Who knew?
58. The Autumn Republic- Brian McClellan
59. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race- Margot Lee Shetterly. I wanted to like this. There's a movie coming out and the story itself is awesome and deserves to be know, but the book is just very...shallow? It's light on details and mostly focuses on the social conditions of the time period, which, don't get me wrong, are important to the story, but in this case sort of overshadows the time spent on describing the actual NASA work. It's okay, but I came away in the end not really having learned anything beyond "there were black women mathematicians who did calculations for NASA".

My goodreads count and my count here are off by 1 and I can't figure out why ugh :saddowns:

Anyway I've finished my vanilla number goal and am just working on the Booklord Challenge goals, so I'm gonna need someone to give me a wildcard please.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

It would be cool if you had some loosely defined categories in the mix. Last year there was a category like "The Color Red" which pushed me to read a book on color theory while other people read the Scarlet Letter or whatever. I liked how open to interpretation some of them were. Just my opinion!

Yeah that category lead me to read An Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson which was rad as hell, Anne Carson in general is excellent, I was actually going to ask for recommendations of long form narrative poetry because I have the itch for it.

I decided not to do the specific booklord challenge although I probably hit a bunch of the categories; I need to do a more thorough update soon

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Radio! posted:

My goodreads count and my count here are off by 1 and I can't figure out why ugh :saddowns:

Did you miss putting a date (or at least a year) on one of your books? I've done that before.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg
2) Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale
3) Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
4) Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë
5) The Corinthian - Georgette Heyer
6) Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6) - Charlaine Harris
7) Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter - Randall Balmer
8) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
9) Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories - Elmore Leonard
10) The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - Siddhartha Mukherjee
11) The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
12) Euphoria - Lily King
13) All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #7) - Charlaine Harris
14) From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) - Charlaine Harris
15) The Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr
16) Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
17) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Anne Brashares
18) M Train - Patti Smith
19) Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland - Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus
20) The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4) - William Dietrich
21) Victory of Eagles (Temeraire #5) - Naomi Novik
22) Beacon 23 - Hugh Howey
23) In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente
24) Julie and Julia - Julie Powell
25) Keeping the House - Ellen Baker
26) Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
27) The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin
28) My Man Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse
29) No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
30) The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
31) President Reagan - The Role of a Lifetime - Lou Cannon
32) Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris
33) 41: A Portrait of My Father - George W. Bush
34) One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway - Asne Seierstad
35) Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire #6) - Naomi Novik
36) The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zwieg
37) Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
38) The Confusions of Young Torless - Robert Musil
39) Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10) - Charlaine Harris
40) The Quick and the Dead - Louis L'Amour
41) Fire From Heaven - Mary Renault
42) The Romanov sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholad and Alexandra - Helen Rappaport
43) Station Eleven - Emily st. John Mandel
44) The Martian - Andy Weir
45) Missoula - John Krakauer
46) Three Bags Full - Leonie Swann
47) My Life - Bill Clinton
48) The Unknown Ajax - Georgette Heyer
49) Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France - Peter Mayle
50) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
51) Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death, And Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years - Michael J. Collins
52) In the Cities of Coin and Spice (Orphans Tales 2) - Catherynne M. Valente
53) Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard 2) - Scott Lynch
54) Decision Points - George W. Bush
55) Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith
56)Venetia - Georgette Heyer
57) Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11)- Charlaine Harris
58) All the Birds, Singing - Evie Wyld
59) The World According to Garp - John Irving
60) Dreams from my Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance - Barack Obama
61) The Sound of Glass - Karen White
62) Crucible of Gold (Temeraire #7) - Naomi Novik
63) Xtabentum: A Novel of Yucatan - Rosy Hugener
64) Cry, the Beloved Country - Alan Paton
65) Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12) - Charlaine Harris
66) The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) - Scott Lynch
67) Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy #2) - Mira Grant
68) Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13) - Charlaine Harris
69) The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
70) All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
71) Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire #8) - Naoni Novik
72) Yes Please - Amy Poehler
73) 1 Dead in attic: Post-Katrina Stories - Chris Rose
74) The Miracles of Prato - Laurie Lico Albanese
75) The Weight of Water - Anita Shreve
76) The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket - Trevor Corson
77) Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling
78) The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
79) League of Dragons (Temeraire #9) - Naomi Novik
80) Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy #3) - Mira Grant
81) The Tropic of Serpents - Marie Brennan
82) House of Cards - Michael Dobbs
83) Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park - Lee H. Whittlesey
84) Dept. of Speculation - Jenny Offill
85) Binti - Nnedi Okorafor
86) Kristin Lavransdatter - Sigrid Undset

Oops, I forgot to update my October. Here goes:

87) Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History - Eric Larson: This was pretty good. It's about the Galveston hurricane of 1900 and all the reasons why it was so deadly and destructive.
88) An Embarrassment of Mangoes - Anne Vanderhoof: A travelogue of a Canadian couple who quit their jobs and spent two years sailing around the Caribbean. Very enjoyable, and with lots of interesting recipes.
89) The Girl in the Spider's Web - David Lagercrantz: I'm not sure if it is because it was by a different author or because I have just grown out of the series, but I thought this was awful. I enjoyed the first three a few years ago so I don't know what happened.
90) Winter's Bone - Daniel Woodrell: Extremely well written.
91) Escape - Carolyn Jessop: The true story of a women who escaped from her FLDS polygamist husband/community. It provides a really chilling look at how deeply messed up the community is, especially after the rise of Warren Jeffs.
92) The Forever War - Joe Haldeman: A little dated but I can see why people call this a sci-fi classic.
93) Wolf in White Van - John Darnielle: I liked this a lot at the beginning but less and less as it went on. It really telegraphed the surprises of the book.
94) Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly - Anthony Bourdain: I will never be ordering seafood for brunch again, that's for sure.

Overall:
Total: 94/100
A-Z Challenge: 26/26
Booklord Challenge: 22/22
Presidential Biographies: 6/6

Done with all my subchallenges!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Corrode posted:

Well now. That was something.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Booklord Challenge Update posted:

Count: 92/96 books, 9 nonfiction (10%), 4 rereads (4%)
Complete: 2, 3, 5-11, 13-17, 21, 22
New: (9) Something by a musician: Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust
New: (6) Something about an animal: The Rescuers by Margery Sharp

86. Daughter of the Empire by Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist
87. Servant of the Empire by Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist
88. Mistress of the Empire by Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist

I really liked the first two books; they consists almost entirely of Mara creating intricate schemes to turn a badly losing situation into a survivable stalemate and, ultimately, victory. And I am a great fan of intricate schemes and plotting leading to come-from-behind victories. My biggest complaint is that Servant is twice as long as Daughter, and feels like it has two major plot arcs each with their own climax (the Night of Swords halfway through the book, and then the actual ending); furthermore, it wraps up the main plot started in Daughter quite nicely. Because of this, I think it might actually have made more sense for Servant to have been published as two books, neatly rounding out a trilogy, and then Mistress as a one or two book coda, similar to how Zahn's Thrawn and Hand of Thrawn books were published.

The third book takes place some years later and deals with all the fallout from Mara's plots in the first two books coming back to haunt her. I thought it started out pretty weak, but it gets better, and finishes extremely strong. That said, I still think it's the weakest of the trilogy, in large part because it spends a lot of time (especially in the first half) focusing on characters who aren't Mara, and activities that aren't Mara's plotting (which she doesn't do nearly as much of, either, focusing more on high-level strategic decisions). Since that was the main draw of the first two books for me, the third can't help but be a letdown, no matter how cool the Cho-Ja mages are.

89. The Final Reflection by John M. Ford

The other JMF Star Trek novel. I think this was a better read than How Much For Just The Planet, especially for someone (like myself) who is largely disinterested in Star Trek and has only seen a handful of episodes -- I've actually read a lot more than I've seen, thanks to getting into my mom's collection of James Blish Trek adaptations growing up. A nice mix of Klingon culture, space battles, and political machinations.

One thing that I didn't expect is how surprising I would find transporters. I know they're a Trek staple, but it's been so long since I've read anything at all in a setting with ubiquitous teleportation that I kept being startled every time they used a transporter rather than docking or using a shuttle. Teleportation that isn't of the "infrastructural FTL" sort seems to have fallen out of favour in SF.

90. Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust

This is, I think, the only Dragaera book from an Eastern perspective; yes, Vlad is an Easterner by birth, but he's also completely immersed in Imperial culture. It has a very different perspective and a much more ethereal, faery-tale quality to it.

It also contains, as the prologue, a telling of the Legend of Fenar, the story of how Fenar traveled alone into Faerie, with a fey-sword and a taltos-horse, to confront Kav, Lord of Faerie on his throne; and how he lost both the horse and the sword, but gained a promise of peace from Faerie that endures to this day. Fans of Paarfi may recognize this as chapter 30 of The Phoenix Guards as filtered through a thousand years of retellings, which of course meant I had to reread that, too, and as ever it's funnier than I remembered. Apparently we're getting a new Paarfi book sometime next year. I'm stoked.

91. The Rescuers by Margery Sharp

I was going through a box of books from my childhood and populating my son's shelves with them -- he's not reading on his own yet, but he'll drat well have lots of books to choose from once he is -- when I came across this old favourite and had to stop and reread it. It's bite-sized these days but just as delightful as ever, although I have a new appreciation now for the engineering marvel that is Miss Bianca's mouse-scale, atomic-powered speedboat. :science:

It's interesting to see the contrast in personalities between the Miss Bianca of the books and the Miss Bianca of the movies (which my son was briefly but intensely obsessed with earlier this year); she is by no means a delicate flower (once she gets into the swing of things, anyways), but neither is she the enthusiastic adrenaline junky of the movies. But the movies have very little in common with the books anyways.

92. Rise: The Complete Newflesh Collection by Seanan McGuire (as Mira Grant)

This was ok -- I enjoyed it -- but I didn't love it. I liked the main Newsflesh books, and basically everything InCryptid, a great deal more. Part of this is a number of small but nagging inconsistencies with the main books; part of it is that it's mostly novellas, a format I'm not overly fond of; and partly I think it finishes with the weakest story in the collection, "Coming To You Live". Georgia & Shaun earned their retirement, dammit, and if McGuire is going to drag them out of it I want to see a slice of life in post-zombie Canada, not a retread of territory and characters already well covered in the novels.

After this I think I would actually rank InCryptid over Newsflesh overall.

I'm just about to wrap up Wave Without a Shore, and in the background I've been slowly going through Wild Swans -- I'm about halfway done that now. Considering recent events I think I need something relatively light and feelgood to read next, though, so the rest of November is probably going to be a mix of favoured books from my childhood and space opera recommendations from my friends.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ben Nevis posted:

I like the one about how he wants to gently caress highways.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like the one about how he wants to gently caress highways.

Probably highways with Jackie Kennedy's mouth-parts.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This is a great idea. I've ended up reading a few of the BOTM this year and have really enjoyed both the discussions and the push to read a variety of books.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ben Nevis posted:

Isn't it just? I thought it'd be a bit different. Plus I want to read it myself and can't until I get paid, so I thought someone else might as well.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
November update, because I'm highly unlikely to finish another whole book in the two days that remain of this month:

Previously:

1. White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister.
2. Slåttekar i himmelen by Edvard Hoem.
3. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie.
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.
5. I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage by Susan Squire.
6. Anabasis by Xenophon.
7.-9. The Apocalypse Triptych: The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End has Come edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey.
10. Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck.
11. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold.
12. Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
13. Demon Dentist by David Walliams.
14. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
16. Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.
17. Doktor Proktors Prompepulver by Jo Nesbø.
18. Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer.
19. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima.
20. Før jeg brenner ned by Gaute Heivoll.
21. Billionaire Boy by David Walliams.
22. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
23. The Quiet Game by Greg Iles.
24. The Vegetarian by Han Kang.
25. Maurtuemordene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
26. Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald.
27. Destroyermen: Blood in the Water by Taylor Anderson.
28. Gangsta Granny by David Walliams.
29. The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross.
30. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
31. Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.
32. Ratburger by David Walliams.
33. Sønnen ("The Son") by Jon Nesbø.
34. Svein og rotta i syden by Marit Nicolaysen.
35. Døden ved vann ("Death by water") by Torkil Damhaug.
36. Ildmannen ("The Man of Fire" would be a good translation) by Torkil Damhaug.
37. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.
38. Stoner by John Williams.
39. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
40. Thornghost by Tone Almhjell.
41. The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams.
42. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.
43. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay.

New:

44. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. BOTM for November and a light, fun, good read it was. The author's stories from his life as a cook and chef in the dark underbelly of the American restaurant world. Plus some decent tips for those of us who like loving around in the kitchen.

45. Jerusalem by Alan Moore. Finally finished this motherfucker after two and a half months. It was long, mostly quite interesting and imaginative, long, complicated, Alan Moore at his best and worst, and it was long. Enjoyed most of it. It's mostly set within a few blocks of Northampton, at times ranging from the early middle ages to the heat death of the universe. It features the afterlife where time becomes a fourth spatial dimension, angles and devils, time-travelling ghosts, and a huge and varied cast. Everything links together. The one chapter written as a pastiche of Finnegans Wake (and starring James Joyce's mentally ill daughter Lucia) was a bit of a chore. The one chapter written as a Samuel Beckett play (and starring the ghosts of Samuel Beckett himself and Thomas Becket, among others) was hilarious and tragic. And so on.

46. Se meg, Medusa ("See Me, Medusa") by Torkil Damhaug. One of the first crime thrillers by this Norwegian author whom I discovered earlier this year. Shorter and less complicated than the others I've read, still, pretty intriguing. Main character is a successful doctor in his mid-40s, living the perfect family life... then, seemingly random people connected to him in different ways begin showing up dead, apparently mauled by a bear (where no bears should be)...

47. Sangen om den røde rubin ("The Song of the Red Ruby") by Agnar Mykle. 1957 Norwegian novel, a bildungsroman chronicling the misadventures of a young man nearly 20 years earlier (it's set in 1938-1939 with a brief coda set during and immediately after the war) as he goes through life in search of love but mostly ending up finding a lot of pussy. This book was a major scandal in our then rather puritanical society , and was not only banned and confiscated but criminal charges for pornography were brought against author and publisher; it took a year of high-profile court proceedings going all the way to the supreme court before the ban was rescinded and the charges dropped. By modern standards the racy bits aren't all that shocking (but one can see how they must have been thought so, 59 years ago -- lots of detailed descriptions of intimate bits of anatomy, frank discussion of various sexual practices, etc.) but what surprised me was both how beautiful the actual prose was, and how goddamn funny the book often turned out to be. Must be one of the most enjoyable books I've read all year.

Still have some left of The Big Book of Science Fiction, may well finish during December (all along I've been reading a few short stories here and there between other books).

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number - 47/40
2) Something written by a woman- I Don't, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, The Vegetarian, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, Lud-in-the-Mist, Svein og rotta i syden, Thornghost, Bad Feminist
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Temple of the Golden Pavilion, The Vegetarian, Bad Feminist
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat, Plain Tales from the Hills
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Slåttekar i himmelen, Anabasis, The Name of the Rose
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Thornghost
7) A collection of essays. - Bad Feminist
8) A work of Science Fiction - much of The Apocalypse Triptych, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Red Rising, Half a War, Acceptance, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon, others
9) Something written by a musician - White Line Fever
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game, goddamn Jerusalem
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Kitchen Confidential
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - Sønnen definitely qualifies for this
13) Read Something YA - Half the World, Red Rising, Half a War, Thornghost
14) Wildcard! - I Don't
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Half the World, Half a War, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Three Men in a Boat
17) The First book in a series - Red Rising, The Quiet Game, Luna: New Moon
18) A biography or autobiography - White Line Fever, Før jeg brenner ned, arguably Kitchen Confidential
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - Sweet Thursday
20) Read a banned book - Sangen om den røde rubin
21) A Short Story collection - all volumes of The Apocalypse Triptych
22) It’s a Mystery.- The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game, Maurtuemordene, Sønnen, Døden ved vann, Ildmannen, Se meg, Medusa

Additional individual challenge:

Norwegians: 10/10
Non-fiction: 5/5
Max re-reads: 2/5

BONUS INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE: What the hell, I've followed the BOTM for both January and February; I'm going to keep doing that for the rest of the year. (Escape clause: Will reserve the option to skip books I've already read.) 11 for 11 on this.

One month left, all goals met or exceeded (except for December's BOTM whatever that turns out to be). Ding, level up!

Edit: And yes, in the blurb for Jerusalem it *should be* "angles and devils". Not "angels". Really.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
November books

74 . His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet
This was a really interesting book and a good read. It has several sections in what is a fictional case study of a triple murder in 1860. It is set in the modern times so it is pieced together by the murderer's memoir, a doctor's notes, and the trial pieced together by news accounts and documents. I loved the first section, the memoir, it was well-written and by itself an interesting story. There is no question about guilt from the start of the book, and no question about the details of the crime for the most part, so it isn't exactly an unfolding mystery which I think is kind of refreshing since that is the kind of book I expected. I liked it a lot better than the winner of the Man Booker, Sellout.

75 . Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum
I am not exactly sure why I decided to read this book other than it was on my list and was available. It is written well, but really far outside my normal reading. It is about a middle aged woman and her struggle to fit in to a new country with her husband. She is from the US and they moved to Zürich where she doesn't know the language and finds she isn't in love with her husband. She is seeing a psychiatrist which is peppered throughout the book, and has several affairs. Anyway, not terrible though it was really difficult to relate to her.

76 . Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe
I guess you would call this a parable about life and our dead end jobs, directionless lives and eventual acceptance. It's about a man on vacation in the dunes by the ocean catching bugs, which he collects . He finds it late and decides to spend the night in a nearby village. The villagers approach him and offer him lodging, and help him down a ladder in to a pit in the sand where a woman lives. She spends her time trying to keep up with the sand that constantly threatens to overtake her home. He thinks this is all uncomfortable, sandy, and odd, and is glad to be leaving in the morning. He eventually figures out he has been kidnapped and forced to work with the woman to save her home and the village from the shifting sands. It's a mix of story telling, metaphor, and strangely enough some science about the sand. Anyway, it wasn't long and was a pretty good read, maybe 3 stars if I had to rate it. It is one of those books though that sticks with you and for some reason I remember in great detail.

77 . Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
I am basically running out of books that I had setup to read and tried several books this month and could not get in to any of them, but I had this book sitting around for a long time and decided it was time to tackle it. It was long, really too long, there was so much that could have been cut from this book and it would not have suffered for it. That's not to say it was bad, I liked the story and the tying of past and present characters, and the tech was surprisingly real and not cringe worthy. It's really my first Stephenson book as I started Snow Crash many years ago, but it just didn't interest me in the least. Anyway, good book, took me a long time to read.

This was my shortest month of reading but mainly because of Cryptonomicon, the holidays and vacation. I am done with the Booklord challenge as of last moth and have read 77/50 books. Looking to complete 80 this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
October

91. Silver on the Tree - Susan Cooper
92. Girl in Landscape - Jonathan Lethem
93. The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6) - Tana French
94. Fool’s Errand (Tawny Man #1) - Robin Hobb
95. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
96. Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) - Jim Butcher
97. Nada the Lily - H. Rider Haggard
98. Golden Fool (Tawny Man #2) - Robin Hobb

November

99. Fool’s Fate (Tawny Man #3) - Robin Hobb
100. Manhattan Transfer - John Dos Passos
101. Mindset: the Psychology of Success - Carol Zweck
102. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
103. Oscar & Lucinda - Peter Carey
104. Swing Time - Zadie Smith
105. Moonglow - Michael Chabon
106. Parable of the Sower - Octavia Butler

Parenthood has still given me a decent amount of time to read, but not a whole lot of time to write about what I read, so here's some catching up. I finished my booklord challenge with Manhattan Transfer as my Lost Generation book and Nada the Lily as my wildcard. I really, really liked Nada the Lily - not what I was expecting at all. Here I thought it was some western when it was actually the story of warring tribes in Africa.
Other standouts: the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb was excellent, Catch-22 and Heart is a Lonely Hunter were favorites reread, Swing Time, Moonglow and The Trespasser were new releases from the library that were all pretty good. Probably the best book of all of 'em was the one I finished last night, Parable of the Sower, which followed a young woman as society crumbles around her. (It's already well in the process of doing so as the book starts.) As far as post-apocalyptic fiction goes, this was among some of the best I've read (and that's a pretty crowded genre at the moment)

1) Vanilla Number (106/52)
2) Something written by a woman: Butler, Smith, Zweck, Hobb, McCullers, Cooper, French
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author: Butler, Smith
4) Something written in the 1800s
5) Something History Related
6) A book about or narrated by an animal
7) A collection of essays
8) A work of Science Fiction: Parable of the Sower, Girl in Landscape
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages: all 3 Robin Hobb books
11) Read something about or set in NYC: Manhattan Transfer
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA: Silver on the Tree
14) Wildcard! - Nada the Lily
15) Something recently published: Swing Time, Moonglow, The Trespasser
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now
17) The First book in a series: Fool's Errand
18) A biography or autobiography
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation: Manhattan Transfer
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection: Interpreter of Maladies
22) It’s a Mystery: The Trespasser

• Locked thread