Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Somewhat serious suggestion: wedge some thick rubber between the trans and that crossmember and ratchet-strap that poo poo down. Add "check ratchets" to the list of regular checks that will happen throughout the trip to FL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

datona is a turbo z

14 INCH posted:

hay gurl

14 INCH posted:

found in field

14 INCH posted:

need advice on proper r n r of hydraulic unit and pto from trans i think i know but im excavating 60+ yr of road grime

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Remove it from truck, take to the local John Deere service center and get them to replace all the o-rings etc.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

unhooking square shaft

14 INCH posted:

advice on removing shifter and park brake handle

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

Remove it from truck, take to the local John Deere service center and get them to replace all the o-rings etc.

Yeah I meant physically disconnecting the unit.

This has been on repeat in my head for the entire day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtGaba6rR4

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Yeah I meant physically disconnecting the unit.

This has been on repeat in my head for the entire day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtGaba6rR4

Oh. Can you forward some pictures of the PTO unit?

From what I see in that one image, I'd imagine it has a sleeved pin holding the shaft in the tranny housing, maybe a cotter pin/washer.

Shift lever might thread out?

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

Oh. Can you forward some pictures of the PTO unit?

I may be mis describing it but its the square shaft to u joints in last 3 pics above, drivers side of trans. Library running out of time so all info post in this thread for someone to relay to me or directly text at 408 499 1357

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Looks like a square-headed grub screw?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh yeah I see it now. Almost certainly a shaft with a flat edge on it with that square bolt being a set screw.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Somewhat serious suggestion: wedge some thick rubber between the trans and that crossmember and ratchet-strap that poo poo down. Add "check ratchets" to the list of regular checks that will happen throughout the trip to FL.

Hockey pucks oughta be easy to find in Nebraska.

If you drill through a hockey puck make sure you have a crush tube.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

i'm 6'3", and about half of that in leg, from my rear end to my knee when sitting is probably over 2', so just picture someone who literally cannot fit in a bus seat lengthways as opposed to width.

I commuted from Kitchener to Toronto (about an hour each way) every day, on a Greyhound bus. For two years.

I'd rather walk.

That's why I fly. At 6'6" bus or plane is miserable, but the plane ride lasts 45 minutes instead of 12 hours.

Amtrak's super comfy, if you have a spare week to get where you're going.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

front shaft is loose but stuck

14 INCH posted:

my name is INCH, and my kneecap is fire and blood

14 INCH posted:

found this on lift pump reads williams machine omaha nebraska serial number 65324 model number 444 hydraulic fluid use 10w mobiloil drain and refill once a year

14 INCH posted:

yup redo u joints old are spalled

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Googling that company and model number turns up almost nothing.

This is Williams Machine in TYOOL 2016: http://www.energymfg.com/williams-manufacturing/

Does this look like the pump? http://www.energymfg.com/williams-manufacturing/pump-in-tank-valve-combinations/m40_pump.html Because "model 444" turns up exactly gently caress-all except links to that pump.

I vote change the fluid and see if it lives once you've got the driveline together. It'll probably lift the bed a few inches before a line bursts.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Googling that company and model number turns up almost nothing.

This is Williams Machine in TYOOL 2016: http://www.energymfg.com/williams-manufacturing/

Does this look like the pump? http://www.energymfg.com/williams-manufacturing/pump-in-tank-valve-combinations/m40_pump.html Because "model 444" turns up exactly gently caress-all except links to that pump.

I vote change the fluid and see if it lives once you've got the driveline together. It'll probably lift the bed a few inches before a line bursts.

I found a little bit about it on a greybeard forum here.

53moneypit on greybeard forum posted:

Williams Machine & Tool - Omaha, NE. originally but was merged into Energy Manufacturing Co, Monticello, IA, which produces hydraulic cylinders for the AG market primarily.

Your pump is a piston design and is probably a 4 piston unit but could be an 8 piston but I don't think so.

In you application a filter isn't going to do much good as it will rarely get used and if it's an old "huge ram" hoist then it is almost certainly of single acting type, hence the oil comes back thru the pressure hose so no return hose is used. Again, this is waht is most likely the case but not carved in stone.
Your valve is probably cable operated and mounts to the top of the oil reservoir.

A word of warning. DO NOT overspeed thsi pump. 1000 RPM is the MAXIMUM it will withstand. Williams pump have a bad habit of coming unwound over that speed. If you tear it up don't even consider rebuilding it, get a remanufacured unit.

53moneypit on greybeard forum posted:

Yes, there is a small intake pipe screen that sort of looks like a long bottle cap. It part # 2664. You'll also need to replace the pump gasket if you pull the pump from the reservoir.

One nice thing about piston pumps is that they are bi-rotational so any PTO will work with them. Incidently, your pump is almost surely not original to your hoist as the old underbodies used cast iron gear pumps of 10-18 GPM and the Williams is only 3.7 GPM@1000 RPM. Again, that is the maximum speed so your hoist will operate pretty slowly.

Not much, but better than no information at all? Would at least be worth replacing that screen part the guy is talking about before attempting to run it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, at least it seems that entire replacement units are under $500 if the pump is hosed. Model 40 is apparently just the modern designation.

It likely isn't if there's still some oil in it.

E: Intake screen is $6.78 from the manufacturer.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
The shifter removal is easy, same as a np435 . Is the transmission a 435?

Push down and twist with a pair of chanel locks around the retention cup. It should then pop up and the whole thing should slide out. Sometimes the roll pins can be holding extra tight.
random google image search, (not my image) it should com a part like this:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

where would i locate trans id

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

gently caress Greyhound, gently caress busses that was a terrible idea and I'm never doing that again.

Finally back in Orlando. Tools have yet to show up, so hopefully that will be resolved. Gonna be calling them everyday til they are found.

I least I got to take the most satisfying shower ever once I got home.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
e: I guess I can't read, I don't know Chevys.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm forwarding information y'all post to 14 btw.

Sims...that sucks man.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Leperflesh posted:

There's just about no automotive problem you can't solve with some combination of zip ties and jb weld, right? With maybe the odd C clamp or if you want to get really fancy, a ratchet strap or two.

I don't get to post this very often. There is no shame in ratchet strapping your poo poo together. It held the engine in my old Celebrity down for far longer than it had any right to, after the dogbone bracket broke and I was unable to source a replacement.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm venturing a guess that their suggested "MobilOil 10w" should be non-detergent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you do ratchet strap it for the duration, make sure the strap doesn't go over any sharp edges that can vibrate against it and cut through. If it does, put a piece of leather, radiator hose, or sheetmetal with folded over edges in between as a bit of a buffer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't know much about non-subarus, never mind a truck like this. What are the odds that this thing runs and drives at this point?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

daslog posted:

I don't know much about non-subarus, never mind a truck like this. What are the odds that this thing runs and drives at this point?

For how long?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
you can also get little rubber straps that go over the hook so that when you hang reverse and nail it like its prom night your "engine mount" doesnt fall off.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Considering that the transmission isn't attached to anything, probably until the first pothole

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

The Door Frame posted:

Considering that the transmission isn't attached to anything, probably until the first pothole

Well, yeah- I was asking for clarification.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

daslog posted:

The engine ran well enough in the van to get Sims to the truck. Rest of the powertrain is big dumb tractor parts, a not insignificant amount of it is brand new iron that Sims has been stockpiling through the planning phase, also did you loving see what 14" and the Jeep did to get to Nebraska?

Re: the pump, what's in there is probably half water and half spiders due to lovely crusty foam breathers being common, if not check the breather and flush with a jug of Dex2/3 (because it's got a better shot at freeing the probably stuck pistons) and a pail or 6 of regular modern whatever the farm supply store has cheapest hydraulic oil (because it's cheap). Everything will leak. Don't go near a leak that has pressure behind it because gangrene but you knew that already. And a quick visual on the hoses, it's pretty obvious when they're rotten.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've always assumed it's because crazy people get banned from flying for being crazy, but Greyhound just looks the other way cause they need the fares.

Also it's way easier to bring your personal supply of whatever drugs you prefer on the bus.

Yeah uh, don't try that anywhere near the Mexico border. Buses pretty much always get searched at border patrol checkpoints. Especially if your name is Willie Nelson or Fiona Apple. :haw: (both got popped at the checkpoint I go through every time I'm leaving El Paso, and it seems to be a roughly 50/50 shot of me getting at least stopped briefly for questioning while driving my own car... been searched a few times).

OTOH, they didn't even ask me for my ticket when I took Amtrak to get back home.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Take the train, the seats actually have room and it's generally enjoyable even in cattle class.

Anywhere outside of the northeast, you're looking at least doubling-tripling your trip time vs taking a bus, to say the least. And it costs about the same (and gets hilariously expensive if you actually get a sleeper). The food is pretty terrible (and laughably expensive) too, but at least they serve booze!

Took me a bit over 2 full days to get from Dallas to El Paso (and another 2 days to get back). That's a 10 hour drive if you only stop to piss and get gas and manage to avoid rush hours. 15 hours according to Greyhound's website. I actually did enjoy the trip on Amtrak, except the restrooms get pretty horrific after the first day (you definitely want to take a poo poo before you get on the train). Mostly hung out in the lounge car, which has ceiling to (almost) floor windows, and a small snack shop/bar. And a whollllle lot of Amish folks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

daslog posted:

100%.

The question is always going to be '...until Florida?'

Which will again, be 100%, over a long enough time frame. :getin:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

FURY

14 INCH posted:

can you hear them clarice

I dunno about you guys, but I want to know about that bike

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just when I thought this ride was going to settle down.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo, is that a Massey Harris 30 or 33 behind the orange allis Chalmers?

And yes that bike owns we need more info.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The baler looks like a Massey as well, except the thrower looks wrong/broken.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Slung Blade posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a Massey Harris 30 or 33 behind the orange allis Chalmers?

And yes that bike owns we need more info.

Sorry no, it's a massey 44. The baler is a massey, massey Ferguson that is. The bike is just a static display. It would be awesome if it was a working bike though.

The cool thing is that the building behind that bike contains a 1920s American LaFrance fire truck. Chain drive and all.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 5, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

44s are still cool. I was more impressed that MH had made it into your neck of the woods. I think they had a plant in the us, but they were pretty big here in Canada.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
djdanno, you need to post pictures of your entire collection and tell us the story behind it.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

djdanno, you need to post pictures of your entire collection and tell us the story behind it.

Absolutely this. Those gems shouldn't be hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Slung Blade posted:

44s are still cool. I was more impressed that MH had made it into your neck of the woods. I think they had a plant in the us, but they were pretty big here in Canada.

They're a thing? My FIL has a MH 30 or 33 he still uses on the farm.

• Locked thread