Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guy Goodbody posted:

I once saw a guy introduced on a talk show as the star of Pirates of the Caribbean. It turned out to be the skinny one of those two comic relief pirates

Mackenzie Crook was Gareth in the Office and will always be famous though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Total Meatlove posted:

Mackenzie Crook was Gareth in the Office and will always be famous though?

I didn't see all of the office, but I don't remember that dude or a character named Gareth in it. Does eh show up in the later seasons?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

I didn't see all of the office, but I don't remember that dude or a character named Gareth in it. Does eh show up in the later seasons?

He's the British Dwight, he's in every episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Man, Doctor Strange sucked.

The upside is it's pretty funny in places (mostly the slapstick) and in the one or two scenes where they give the characters a little breathing room, the casting was spot on.

On the other hand gently caress this movie's hypocritical attitude towards "the end justifies the means," gently caress it for wasting Mads Mikkelsen, for being so superficial that it doesn't realize belief-powered chaos magic and "it's not about you" are mutually exclusive, and for having the protagonist condemn a man to eternal torment in Hell with a chuckle and "he was asking for it."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This looks great, they better be working on a lego superman

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Might be Marvel Studio's best movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The upside is it's pretty funny in places (mostly the slapstick) and in the one or two scenes where they give the characters a little breathing room, the casting was spot on.

So wrong.

It is a by the numbers origin story structure. 50% Iron Man 1 reboot and 50% generic origin climax, but the visuals are amazing and the creativity and uniqueness of some of the action pieces blow away any other major comic movie.

Tilda, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor completely crush it. I've always loved Tilda, but I had no strong feelings about Cumberbatch. He sells the role so completely and so quickly that I think he was probably the second most perfect lead cast in the MCU.

Mads is great in it too, but he's kind of just hovering in the background for the first half of the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Might be Marvel Studio's best movie.

Well, maybe, but that doesn't contradict what I just said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is a by the numbers origin story structure. 50% Iron Man 1 reboot and 50% generic origin climax, but the visuals are amazing and the creativity and uniqueness of some of the action pieces blow away any other major comic movie.

Tilda, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor completely crush it. I've always loved Tilda, but I had no strong feelings about Cumberbatch. He sells the role so completely and so quickly that I think he was probably the second most perfect lead cast in the MCU.

Mads is great in it too, but he's kind of just hovering in the background for the first half of the movie.

None of this has anything to do with why I disliked it. I'm not sure I'd rank the visuals that highly but I'm not about to complain about them either.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Power rangers movie Megazord design leaked

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, maybe, but that doesn't contradict what I just said.

Sure, because there's not much point in contradicting a review of a movie that manages to avoid mentioning in any way what it looks like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guy Goodbody posted:

That looks super weird, but I'll have to see it in action and not as a plastic toy.

I thought the whole idea of a Power Rangers reboot was stupid, but I am kind of intrigued after the first trailer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, because there's not much point in contradicting a review of a movie that manages to avoid mentioning in any way what it looks like.

It looks like Inception with brighter colors and the benefit of an extra half-decade's advancement in CGI. Nothing wrong with that but it's not nearly as interesting as its ideology -- which is mostly "confused," but awful when it does finally figure out what it wants to say.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It looks like Inception with brighter colors and the benefit of an extra half-decade's advancement in CGI. Nothing wrong with that but it's not nearly as interesting as its ideology -- which is mostly "confused," but awful when it does finally figure out what it wants to say.

I must have forgotten the kung-fu fighting across psychedelic infinite kaleidoscopes in Inception. Maybe due for a rewatch.

What makes it hypocritical about "the end justifies the means?" I'd be happy to take a response in the movie-specific thread.

That looks super weird, but I'll have to see it in action and not as a plastic toy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So wrong.

So it's got a lovely story but amazing visuals and action sequences and a great cast?

So...it's a DCCU film?

Great, then I'll love it!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

So it's got a lovely story but amazing visuals and action sequences and a great cast?

So...it's a DCCU film?

A DCCU film would have a more consistent tone, and would do a better job of telling a story through visuals, but, yeah, pretty much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

What makes it hypocritical about "the end justifies the means?" I'd be happy to take a response in the movie-specific thread.

It uses that concept to characterize Mads' character as a monster, and the Ancient One as flexible and forward-thinking. Kaecilius is clearly wrong to trust Dormammu, but his fear and hatred of death is completely justified; he wants to save each individual person from their inevitable destruction. He's a tragic character, or should be. The movie comes this close to acknowledging this in the scene where the Ancient Ones dies and acknowledges her own fear of death, lingering as long as she can, and justifying her use of Dark Dimension energy (powered by the human fear of death) to save lives. It even has Strange take it one step further by being absolutely horrified at the prospect of killing someone in the name of "the greater good."

And then the ending happens and he's cheerfully consigning people to be tortured, forever, because... I guess even with Dormammu bound by his word never to try to attack Earth again, Kaecilius would still be too dangerous to live? Or to be extended some of that mercy and compassion and "finding another way" to deal with your enemies?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Scott Derrickson is a fan of Zack Snyder, after all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It uses that concept to characterize Mads' character as a monster, and the Ancient One as flexible and forward-thinking. Kaecilius is clearly wrong to trust Dormammu, but his fear and hatred of death is completely justified; he wants to save each individual person from their inevitable destruction. He's a tragic character, or should be. The movie comes this close to acknowledging this in the scene where the Ancient Ones dies and acknowledges her own fear of death, lingering as long as she can, and justifying her use of Dark Dimension energy (powered by the human fear of death) to save lives. It even has Strange take it one step further by being absolutely horrified at the prospect of killing someone in the name of "the greater good."

And then the ending happens and he's cheerfully consigning people to be tortured, forever, because... I guess even with Dormammu bound by his word never to try to attack Earth again, Kaecilius would still be too dangerous to live? Or to be extended some of that mercy and compassion and "finding another way" to deal with your enemies?

I took it to be Strange going "Hey, you want immortality in the Dark Dimension? Here you go." The bigger issue than "the greater good" with Kaecillius and the Ancient One in this respect is the question of death. The Ancient One has known for a long time when and where she will die - and that she will die. Her final words are admitting that she's been selfish and cowardly postponing it, but ultimately she accepts that death is natural and inevitable. Kaec never does - he's never moved past the death of his family where Strange eventually moves past the loss of his hands. I never took Kaec to be a monster, just a man horribly misguided because he can't bring himself to accept death and move on. Strange in the end gives Kaec exactly what he believed he wanted - and reveals just how terrible that thing is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

A DCCU film would have a more consistent tone, and would do a better job of telling a story through visuals, but, yeah, pretty much.

OH but I missed that the main character kills a guy then makes a quip about it

So yeah def still a Marvel film

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kaecilius is only a monster up to the point where his motivations are revealed, at which point he's a tragic figure. Strange not being able to figure out a better solution than exiling him is absolutely a failure on his part. But given that the bargain only works so long as Strange is around to threaten Dormammu with a time loop, his disciples are too dangerous to allow on Earth.

I read the ending as less positive than you're presenting it. The movie is explicit that Strange needs Mordo to counterbalance him, and Mordo rejecting Strange at the end makes it clear that Strange's solution is less than ideal.

Similarly, I read the movie's take on "the end justifies the means" as less clearly positive. The Ancient One's choice gave her a long span for defending the Earth, but then almost gave rise to its destruction. Mordo gives a whole speech about how Strange's actions are, similarly, a temporary solution that will rebound in disaster.

The point is that a leader who bends the rules is a dangerous proposition. Sometimes it works out for a time, as in the Ancient One. Sometimes it leads to disaster, as with Kaecilius. The hook for the following movies is the question of which Strange will become. It's the dictator conversation from The Dark Knight.

Guy A. Person posted:

OH but I missed that the main character kills a guy then makes a quip about it

So yeah def still a Marvel film

I must have missed that too because I don't remember it at all. The only person I can remember him killing he laments and almost quits being a sorcerer over. It's a nice character moment, IMHO.

But, yeah, it may be the best movie in the MCU, but it's still not up to the standard of Man of Steel or BvS. Let's not get crazy here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

I must have missed that too because I don't remember it at all. The only person I can remember him killing he laments and almost quits being a sorcerer over. It's a nice character moment, IMHO.

But, yeah, it may be the best movie in the MCU, but it's still not up to the standard of Man of Steel or BvS. Let's not get crazy here.

Haha yeah sorry I'm just fooling around, I haven't seen it yet

I'm just playing around with the potential irony of people defending a MCU film for the visuals, but I am sure all of that is an oversimplification

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Kaecilius is only a monster up to the point where his motivations are revealed, at which point he's a tragic figure. Strange not being able to figure out a better solution than exiling him is absolutely a failure on his part. But given that the bargain only works so long as Strange is around to threaten Dormammu with a time loop, his disciples are too dangerous to allow on Earth.

I read the ending as less positive than you're presenting it. The movie is explicit that Strange needs Mordo to counterbalance him, and Mordo rejecting Strange at the end makes it clear that Strange's solution is less than ideal.

Similarly, I read the movie's take on "the end justifies the means" as less clearly positive. The Ancient One's choice gave her a long span for defending the Earth, but then almost gave rise to its destruction. Mordo gives a whole speech about how Strange's actions are, similarly, a temporary solution that will rebound in disaster.

The point is that a leader who bends the rules is a dangerous proposition. Sometimes it works out for a time, as in the Ancient One. Sometimes it leads to disaster, as with Kaecilius. The hook for the following movies is the question of which Strange will become.

That's fair. I found Mordo to be by far the most sympathetic character in the film, but at the same time it's kind of undermined by how much they do to characterize him as a stick in the mud. But then again, just because Strange's way is more fun for the audience doesn't necessarily mean he's right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Here is another toy that is likely more screen accurate but does not have the whole '5 mecha merging into one' thing like that one.
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/794679992059727872

The design reminds me of this DeviantArt thing, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is all I can see:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's fair. I found Mordo to be by far the most sympathetic character in the film, but at the same time it's kind of undermined by how much they do to characterize him as a stick in the mud. But then again, just because Strange's way is more fun for the audience doesn't necessarily mean he's right.

My read on Mordo and his situation:

I think Mordo has a fundamentally good point about how there are always negative consequences for breaking the Laws - the check always comes due. What he doesn't seem to realize or be capable of, though, is the flexibility to say "There will be negative consequences now or negative consequences later, I'm taking the lesser evil." Mordo's not wrong all the time, and Strange isn't right all the time.

I think Mordo will be a necessity in the future, the man who Strange respects enough to truly listen to when he asks if Strange is going too far. Mordo is the man to ask "Was it worth it?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Here is another toy that is likely more screen accurate but does not have the whole '5 mecha merging into one' thing like that one.

That looks more like a guy in a suit than the original Megazord

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

My read on Mordo and his situation:

I think Mordo has a fundamentally good point about how there are always negative consequences for breaking the Laws - the check always comes due. What he doesn't seem to realize or be capable of, though, is the flexibility to say "There will be negative consequences now or negative consequences later, I'm taking the lesser evil." Mordo's not wrong all the time, and Strange isn't right all the time.

I think Mordo will be a necessity in the future, the man who Strange respects enough to truly listen to when he asks if Strange is going too far. Mordo is the man to ask "Was it worth it?"

Yeah, the movie ends in unbalance, with one after-credit scene showing Strange enjoying his casual power, and the other showing Mordo lost in his conservatism. The implication is that Doctor Strange 2 will bring the two back together. Strange's failure to resolve his conflict with Kaecilius is a failure he ideally won't repeat with Mordo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm watching Spider-Man 2 : Extended and it really is fantastic. It's so good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I liked Doctor Strange. I don't think it achieves the goodness of Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy but I think it does enough to pull itself away from the Avengers mush.

It's just making me more bummed that the shared universe is still a thing. The more the single movies isolate themselves from the MCU plot - I think the better they are.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

hrmmmm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

That looks more like a guy in a suit than the original Megazord

Which is kind of amazing but in a very bad way.

I just

You have a giant combining robot made up of robot dinosaurs. How the gently caress do you not make that rad as hell

Why doesn't it at least have a face?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movie very obviously is influenced by the miniseries The Oath, and these panels are pretty interesting in the context of the discussion you guys are having:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

The movie very obviously is influenced by the miniseries The Oath, and these panels are pretty interesting in the context of the discussion you guys are having:

Jesus. Is he presented as an anti-hero in the larger context of this comic or is this just a thing good guys do?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jesus. Is he presented as an anti-hero in the larger context of this comic or is this just a thing good guys do?

He's not presented as an anti-hero, no. Martin and the colorist are using that last panel to unambiguously say that Strange has a dark side but generally he is a good guy. Strange has a history of solving bad guy problems expediently in that old time handwavey comic book fashion that heroes with any mind control powers were very casual about employing back in the day. Defeat an evil sorcerer? Remove all their knowledge and memories of the dark arts and magic in general and send them on their way to go be something else in society.

For anyone who read DC's Identity Crisis, that same issue plays a major factor in the story when it comes back to haunt the heroes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dr. Strange is presented as very " do what it takes for the greater good and this entire dimension" mind set in the comics now. The problem with the film was that they didn't clearly describe the Sorcerer Supreme's role in the Universe, which is that he protects this dimension as in our entire Universe.

He's been described as one of the most power beings in all of the Universe .

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Harlock posted:

I liked Doctor Strange. I don't think it achieves the goodness of Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy but I think it does enough to pull itself away from the Avengers mush.

It's just making me more bummed that the shared universe is still a thing. The more the single movies isolate themselves from the MCU plot - I think the better they are.

The primary thing that interests me is still the shared universe. Everything feels like it has more ramifications when they're all connected (either though that's not really true in practice). Dr. Strange, Guardians, and Ant-Man all work basically as stand-alone films anyway, regardless of if they are or not.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dr strange summoned dormammu to earth and had him possess him in order to fight the hulk

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Speaking of giant flamey guys, Hulk & Thor should have them both fighting Surtur.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So since there are two Ghost Riders confirmed in Agents of Shield, could we please have Johnny Blaze as played Nic Cage show up in the MCU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

So since there are two Ghost Riders confirmed in Agents of Shield, could we please have Johnny Blaze as played Nic Cage show up in the MCU?

That entire scene I was shouting "Please be Nic Cage, please be Nic Cage"

• Locked thread