Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

You don't need to do the weird poo poo they write about on t-nation. No one does.

Counterpoint: it's fun and keeps things fresh and doesn't really set you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Winnie the poo poo posted:

haven't been to the gym in almost two weeks, great fat and sad plan in bed

so go to the gym dummy

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Eldred posted:

You think? You shouldn't be driving your head into the bench during a press, it's your back and core that should be stabilizing the arch. I'm open to counterarguments but have never heard anyone say this before.

ever since i've incorporated strong neck drive in the bench, it's went up by like 25 lbs

e: I don't want to be responsible for someone hurting themselves, it's a joke.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 5, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Confuse the body by working the oilpatch slinging chains over tires in the evil Alberta mud.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

Confuse the body by working the oilpatch slinging chains over tires in the evil Alberta mud.

hrm i haven't heard this but I"m intrigued. how should i start? also I don't want to leave alabama and i don't have any chains

by the way I tried the cable curls with the rope and my wrist felt great. The only issue is it kind of felt like I wasn't getting as good a range of motion as with a bar, even though I went arms straight to fully flexed, it was weird.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My body hurts when I stop going to the gym.

What if there was no gyms? :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hrm i haven't heard this but I"m intrigued. how should i start? also I don't want to leave alabama and i don't have any chains

Nothing like deadlifting your boot that is suction stuck in 20" deep mud using 1 leg because you're trying to keep your sock out of the mud while balancing.

HAHAHA some fat Newfie also dislocated both knees backwards by jumping off the side of his truck into the mud. OOF. (This actually happened awhile back it was mentioned during a weekly safety meeting)

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Saturday is a good day. Wake up nice and early, drop a stinker, lift a bunch, back to my place for kickoff at 11.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Zzulu posted:

so go to the gym dummy

yEaH when I get out of work

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

First time to the gym in about a week and half, with heavy drinking mixed in there as well. Still able to dumbbell press 110 for 4 sets of 6. gently caress you twinks.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

"Tiny[, posted:

LowT" post="466115917"]

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

buddhanc posted:

Saturday is a good day. Wake up nice and early, drop a stinker, lift a bunch, back to my place for kickoff at 11.

Deuce -> squats -> pancakes -> football

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I mean yeah I'm old so that's a given.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I was happy to not wake up at 4:30am to duece( standard workweek time). Had a great double deuce before hitting the trail at 8. Feels good, man.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
im at the gym and my hip flexors are pissed and i just noticed I put my shirt on inside out 👌

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

by the way I tried the cable curls with the rope and my wrist felt great. The only issue is it kind of felt like I wasn't getting as good a range of motion as with a bar, even though I went arms straight to fully flexed, it was weird.

Well first you'll need to travel back to 2010 when there were actually jobs in the Alberta oil patch still

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
damnit, i have another injury to report. I was deadlifting last night and my lovely little gym has no platforms, and it's an upper floor so I can't let them down as fast people usually do when they go heavy. I noticed a couple of reps felt weird when I put them down, nothing painful or anything. Then I woke up this morning and my SI felt trashed. stiff and painful with a bit of nerve pain but that part is pretty minor. how do you recover from this poo poo? I'm hoping it's like a muscle strain and some rest and stretching and ill be back to good in a few days. It already feels better than it did this morning. I'm going to join a real gym in a month or two even though its a little out of the way.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

damnit, i have another injury to report. I was deadlifting last night and my lovely little gym has no platforms, and it's an upper floor so I can't let them down as fast people usually do when they go heavy. I noticed a couple of reps felt weird when I put them down, nothing painful or anything. Then I woke up this morning and my SI felt trashed. stiff and painful with a bit of nerve pain but that part is pretty minor. how do you recover from this poo poo? I'm hoping it's like a muscle strain and some rest and stretching and ill be back to good in a few days. It already feels better than it did this morning. I'm going to join a real gym in a month or two even though its a little out of the way.

You stop lifting basically

I have SI joint pain all the time as a result of loving my back and SI deadlifting/squatting and never letting it heal. Quit now, it'll never get better if you injure it further. Focus on getting a sick rear end bench and swole as gently caress arms for like 3 months and do nothing that irritates it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what if it doesn't hurt at all in a few days? I mean I strained a low back muscle real bad a while back, that poo poo hurt a lot worse than this and I had to go to the doctor and everything, but it was fine after a week or two. I'm just saying, I hope it's not going to take 3 months but if it's still hurting I'm not going to try and lift through it or anything. In fact if it's still hurting in a few days I'll probably go to the doctor. In fact when I went for the back deal he said if I had any issues down the line he'd recommend me to a sports physio so I guess I'll take advantage of that, I'm sure they could give me a ton of good info on how to manage lifting with this retarded job. The only time I ever got injured before was if I did something stupid while drinking in the front yard

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what if it doesn't hurt at all in a few days? I mean I strained a low back muscle real bad a while back, that poo poo hurt a lot worse than this and I had to go to the doctor and everything, but it was fine after a week or two. I'm just saying, I hope it's not going to take 3 months but if it's still hurting I'm not going to try and lift through it or anything. In fact if it's still hurting in a few days I'll probably go to the doctor. In fact when I went for the back deal he said if I had any issues down the line he'd recommend me to a sports physio so I guess I'll take advantage of that, I'm sure they could give me a ton of good info on how to manage lifting with this retarded job. The only time I ever got injured before was if I did something stupid while drinking in the front yard

If it's not hurting in a few days, still give it a few more days. I went back to deadlifting a week after tweaking my back lowering the weight, and after one session when I felt fine, I was barely able to walk for another week, and it was another month before I could deadlift properly (with about half the weight). You don't gently caress around with back injuries mate, better to take it easy now than be laid out for the considerable future.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, I know, that's how that back sprain was. 3 months just seemed excessive for what feels like a minor injury. I'll give it some breathing room even after it feels better before I try anything light.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who even needs a spine though

What does a spine even do?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
a strong spine is helpful against bullies like tiny lowtax

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

Who even needs a spine though

What does a spine even do?

Gives your shredded abs something to support :getin:

You know...some day :smith:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Are yall ignoring your lower back exercises like hypers?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

E_P posted:

Yes. They're dumb.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

Yes. They're dumb.

I do stiff-legged deadlifts. :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E_P posted:

I do hypers and RDLs pretty regularly. Heck, I do hypers with a 45lb plate in between bench sets all the drat time because it's fun and doubles as a glute activation activity. I do them less often clean gripping a loaded barbell. I also enjoy hypers. It's just a fun movement. One of the funnest there is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 6, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its snowing outside but i will brave the icy hellscape in order to go to the gym, so that i may deadlift

please wish me luck and if i do not return and perish in the frozen wastelands, please tell my mom that all the preworkout and protein stuff in my cabinets arent scary drugs,

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

its snowing outside but i will brave the icy hellscape in order to go to the gym, so that i may deadlift

please wish me luck and if i do not return and perish in the frozen wastelands, please tell my mom that all the preworkout and protein stuff in my cabinets arent scary drugs,

Stay safe swolebro.
Don't be a swoleghost.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i lifted a weight today

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It's deadlift day for me too guy!

Except it's like 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now.

Sweet extra hour of sleep too. I woke up rock hard (my back muscles).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pesmerga posted:

Stay safe swolebro.
Don't be a swoleghost.

Swoleghosts can move slightly larger objects than regular ghosts.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

a strong spine is helpful against bullies like tiny lowtax

This is hosed up how dare you

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Khorne posted:

I do hypers and RDLs pretty regularly. Heck, I do hypers with a 45lb plate in between bench sets all the drat time because it's fun and doubles as a glute activation activity. I do them less often clean gripping a loaded barbell. I also enjoy hypers. It's just a fun movement. One of the funnest there is.
Go in there with a barbell and put it on like your about to do back squats. It will engaged your back or hammys a lot more then holding a 45lb plate in front of you.

I did chest today and tried doing my old powerlifting routine of working up to a 1 rep max then dropping down to 2x3 then 5x5. Ended up doing 385 for 1 315 for 3 and 275 for the 5s. I got a lot more blood in there today compared to the typical 8x3 or 4 I've been doing this year. I think I might do the same tomorrow on bent over rows and make this like a 1 week a month thing where I do it on my big compound exercise.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Caught a stomach bug and lost 8 pounds. loving ripped now bro

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Flexing your lower back with weight is a good way to develop back problems down the line.

Lower back muscles are for holding your spine in a fixed position, not grinding your disks into paste.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy working the roman chair. I don't hold any additional weight though, I just do 3 sets to failure. For several years I could not get a full night of sleep due to back pain, but once I started doing these, after about a month, now I sleep great again.

Although I also started swimming and losing weight at the same time, so that prolly added to the "good night's sleep" system. But I do love that roman chair. Feels good, man.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Protip: verify credibility of advice given ITT alongside weightloss photo thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Homestar Runner posted:

Protip: verify credibility of advice given ITT alongside weightloss photo thread

But people giving good advice would never have been fat in the first place???