Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

The engine ran well enough in the van to get Sims to the truck. Rest of the powertrain is big dumb tractor parts, a not insignificant amount of it is brand new iron that Sims has been stockpiling through the planning phase, also did you loving see what 14" and the Jeep did to get to Nebraska?

Re: the pump, what's in there is probably half water and half spiders due to lovely crusty foam breathers being common, if not check the breather and flush with a jug of Dex2/3 (because it's got a better shot at freeing the probably stuck pistons) and a pail or 6 of regular modern whatever the farm supply store has cheapest hydraulic oil (because it's cheap). Everything will leak. Don't go near a leak that has pressure behind it because gangrene but you knew that already. And a quick visual on the hoses, it's pretty obvious when they're rotten.

It's got actual oil of some form coming out of the input shaft seal, so itll need a re seal Id wager. Didnt start leaking until I removed the mud seal. Dex 2? Hahahahaha good luck finding whale oil friction modifier. Will be getting full driveshaft to Napa for a quote on new ?U joints ffront to rear.

I have proven my skills. Package will be delivered intact to Florida. First few days have been slow going as my body recuperated from what I demanded of it to get here. But the terrible power of this fully operational battle station is being brought online. Valentine is just far too remote of a location for an adequate demonstration.]

Commander, you may fire when ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You are all far too trusting.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

14 BAR RIFF posted:

It's got actual oil of some form coming out of the input shaft seal, so itll need a re seal Id wager. Didnt start leaking until I removed the mud seal. Dex 2? Hahahahaha good luck finding whale oil friction modifier. Will be getting full driveshaft to Napa for a quote on new ?U joints ffront to rear.

I have proven my skills. Package will be delivered intact to Florida. First few days have been slow going as my body recuperated from what I demanded of it to get here. But the terrible power of this fully operational battle station is being brought online. Valentine is just far too remote of a location for an adequate demonstration.]

Commander, you may fire when ready.

Whale oil was dex1. The stuff I use for unsticking poo poo says dex2/3 on the bottle. Shoulda just said dex3 though my bad.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God loving drat do I love this 3 on the tree Jimmy. Required trukk sound like it once it moves. Dont know how dont care Danno pls advise on noise from tail pipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uc9r1uf5ms

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I really love that Jimmy. Some day I may convince the wife.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That Jimmy really was a fantastic truck. So much fun to drive.

So holy poo poo, went to bed at like 10:30pm last night, woke up a 2:30pm today. Guess that's what happens when you get like 6 hours of combined sleep over the last 2 days.
Feels good to back home, but I do wish I could get more time off soon, wanna get back to the truck already!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why does it look like the rear-end has giant holes in it?

And please, for the love of god, I need to know everything there is to know about the bike with the ancient, upside-down Lycoming(?)

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Why does everyone love that bike sculpture so much?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Stitecin posted:

Why does everyone love that bike sculpture so much?

Because they want it to be real and ride it in some kind of real life heavy metal or mad max recreation.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Also it's kinda nice having people appreciate your junk. Like, I like all the cars I've acquired, it's just nice to have other people think they're cool too. There's not much of a story though. I've basically just been buying them as they become available from people or auctions over the past like 15 years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

djdanno13 posted:

Because they want it to be real and ride it in some kind of real life heavy metal or mad max recreation.

I want to believe that it works. I mean every part of the drivetrain gets a double take.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

djdanno13 posted:

Also it's kinda nice having people appreciate your junk. Like, I like all the cars I've acquired, it's just nice to have other people think they're cool too. There's not much of a story though. I've basically just been buying them as they become available from people or auctions over the past like 15 years.

You're a drat dirty tease.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

pto finally came free. forward u joint actually more like u bolt

14 INCH posted:

set screw shim

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Phone posted:

Was there a pin there Dave?

Good job though.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

if thats the one w bolt thats as it came off finally

"Shim" lol

it was a work trukk for sure

ima have the first bath ive taken since last years trip to solvang

its a once in a blue moon event

let thread know despite chaotic start and slow going im feeling alive again for the first time in a long time

Slung Phone posted:

Will do man, I am live posting this

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 6, 2016

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

You're a drat dirty tease.

I'll make an awesome build thread.....

One of these days...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Me: What's next on the truck? Looks like good weather is holding

14 INCH posted:

working on getting trans totally free to mount directly to engine once thats out then focussing on butt stuff

ah i saaw full floating axles i can remove and install no prob but have zero clue if input sshaft pinion area unbolts w out issue or if axles need to come out first and also whether or not wheels come off for axles iirc drums are bolted to axle somehow

so all i need is order of operations

it feels like a massive ungodly overhaul but theres really not that much needed job wise

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

It's been crazy good weather. Like seriously it's all anyone can talk about and every day sans one in the past 4 weeks has been in the 70s to low 80s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Assuming it is a fullfloat axle like he said (there are some weird old loving axles that are semifloat but have the hub flange bolted onto the shaft, which is retarded) you simply:
- unbolt axleshafts (no need to remove wheels or lift truck)
- may have to remove conical split shims around the axleshaft retention studs if they're nut+studded in instead of bolts, toyota loves doing this on auto 4x4 front hubs and some fullfloaters are this way too
- remove axleshafts
- remove third member (center section held in with a million nuts on studs)

I was gonna say just drain the oil like a normal person and fill it like a normal person, but preparing a truck that could claim social security for a 2000 mile trip? Yeah, wise to pull the third member and double check it's not a ball of rust anywhere above where the oil reached it while it sat for a few decades.

When you put it back together just RTV or gasket it (... RTV, gently caress finding a gasket for that thing) and snug the third member nuts down in a giant star pattern sorta, put the shafts back in, and fill it with GL5. I'd assume "fill it till it comes out the fill hole at you" but I don't know that axle very well so double check with the old chevy truck dudes.

e: yes that is a fullfloat axle for sure, went back in the thread. Just pop the 5 bolts holding the axleshaft in and it should slide right out. There may be a paper gasket or RTV sticking it to the hub but that's about it. So feel free to give it a good whack with the mallet if it won't pop out, but don't go insane on it assuming there's a hogring on the splined end to retain it, it should slide right out once you break the rust/rtv/gasket bond. Similarly, getting the third member to come loose from the banjo axle housing once you have removed the bazillionty nuts retaining it can be a bitch, if necessary feel free to use chisels or screwdrivers between the third and the banjo housing to persuade it but try not to crack the cast iron third member flange in the process (that sucks...) and avoid damaging the stud threads because I don't know if they are replaceable. Also, that third member is a two speed right? It probably weighs a loving ton, like 100-150lbs, expect that and don't break half your ribs with it when it comes loose. Might want to check the internals of the two speed mechanism as well (if it doesn't involve digging too deep, in which case just make sure it spins nice and is in high gear.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 6, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

djdanno13 posted:

It's been crazy good weather. Like seriously it's all anyone can talk about and every day sans one in the past 4 weeks has been in the 70s to low 80s.

I was about to say "yeah it's finally cooling off" before I remembered where yall are at. :v:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Seriously I'm used to there being 4 inches of snow falling in the last week of October and hanging around till mid November when it all melts when it hits 50 one day.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

how difficult we talking to set up ballpark fuel mapping for nitromethane on a 350

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if theres a law that exhaust has to exit behind the driver's compartment? If not, i vote for just enough exhaust pipe to exit the sides of the engine compartment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

no bones about it posted:

I wonder if theres a law that exhaust has to exit behind the driver's compartment? If not, i vote for just enough exhaust pipe to exit the sides of the engine compartment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Your idea is better

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That sharp 90 degree bend really has to hurt the performance of the engine.

Also, V6? Someone is not awaited.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Plot twist: it's a V12 with 6 2->1 collectors.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Double Plot Twist: The V12 is for the blower on the I14 cleverly hidden by expert body work.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Shame it's made out of poster board

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm bumping this post from way back in May because it's awesome and closer to truth than we ever thought it would be...

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Each day I become more convinced.

This will be the horn that heralds the apocalypse. The coming of the end times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wrong thread? I can't tell

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So finally git my tools back from Greyhound. They were supposed to call me, but didnt. :rolleyes: Trying to call them resulted in an endlessly ringing phone.

Had to go down in person, and they had it sitting tight there, tag with all the info clear as day. I really don't understand how a company as lovely as Greyhound can exist in 2016.

On a postive note I will say the lady who helped me today was the first polite and genuinely professional employee I've dealt with there.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I really don't understand how a company as lovely as Greyhound can exist in 2016.

Ruthlessly anti-competitive and generally scummy corporate practices to which governments turn a blind eye "because they provide a meaningful public service"* basically guarantee their existence well into forever.

Glad they found your poo poo anyway.

*I mean that's a legit argument but these guys are VERY well represented in government is all im sayin

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

On a postive note I will say the lady who helped me today was the first polite and genuinely professional employee I've dealt with there.

The lifer lady who works at my local Greyhound shipping terminal is the only time outside of a rural parts store that I have seen someone chain smoking at their desk.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The lifer lady who works at my local Greyhound shipping terminal is the only time outside of a rural parts store that I have seen someone chain smoking at their desk.

A job where you can do that can be evil. You're just "Mmm num num cigarettes, Oh boy, cigarettes, I love cigarettes mm num num".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

WE GOT NUMBERS REPEAT NUMBERS

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
SM420

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's amazing what over half a century of oil and dirt can protect from rust.

Nature's undercoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
1947-1953:
No ribs on the case
Grooved worm on the input shaft instead of neoprene seal
Synchro rings all differ from each other. 1st-2nd synchro ring is bronze
Weep hole at 6 o'clock on the bearing retainer snout
Six digit casting number on the case, usually like "59xxxx" e.g., 591665.

• Locked thread