Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ty1990 posted:

Dubs should give Philly Pat McCaw and stuff (to make salaries match) for Nerlens Noel because even if they get their poo poo together for the most part rim protection is a very real issue for them.
why would Philly ever do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The warriors need actual rim protection, not just weakside shot blocking and fumbled lobs
That's why they need to sign the narcissist, Larry Sanders

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Really, everyone should sign Larry Sanders, imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/794606565349167104

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Questions I don't actually know the answers to:

Is Durant better or worse on defense than Barnes?

Same question Zaza v Bogut?

Or is it a wash and the defensive poo poo is the fault of the other three?

Or were the Warriors always pretty bad at defense and just made up for it with much better and more efficient scoring?

It seems like everything about their team looks worse so far which isn't explained by Durant who has played better than anyone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Warriors have been top 5 in defense the two previous years, they replaced two super defensive rim protecting bigs with an offensive short-armed guy and david west.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Barnes and Durant is lateral to a moderate upgrade. Bogut/Ezeli to Zaza/West is a massive downgrade.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm coming around to David west being a Spurs sleeper agent. He knew he didn't have much left in the tank so he threw himself into the golden state machinery to gum up the gears of inevitability with his old man body. Godspeed
I mean he's basically served as a great dunk prop so far this season, between jonathon Simmons and nance. He's doomed to have a long year of getting dunked on

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Barnes and Durant is lateral to a moderate upgrade. Bogut/Ezeli to Zaza/West is a massive downgrade.

I was really uncertain wether Ezeli was good in metrics because of network effects or because he was actually good, maybe he was.

Durant needs to get beaten up by Kevon Looney or something so he understands to rebound and set screens and so on, that's how it would work in the ABA

Mostly I want to watch my team beat the other team, golden state is not interesting.

Things that seem interesting so far, to me, personally, as a person.
1. The Pistons succeeding in spite of my nemesis, Reggie Jackson, being injured
2. Hawks winning more than losing without Teague, Horford, with Howard and Thabo
3. Jazz losing when they're supposed to be the new good team, Alec Burks never healing
4. Joffrey Lauvergne not being allowed to play small forward in OKC

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 5, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Broken ring chasing David West is a sad sight

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
David West is proof that if you want to make it to the conference finals, join an Eastern team

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Durant needs to get beaten up by Kevon Looney or something so he understands to rebound and set screens and so on, that's how it would work in the ABA

You'll know that this happened when he changes his name to Kevon Durant

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kevon Looney looks like a slimmer Greg Oden

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Looney looks way better than David West

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm coming around to David west being a Spurs sleeper agent. He knew he didn't have much left in the tank so he threw himself into the golden state machinery to gum up the gears of inevitability with his old man body. Godspeed
I mean he's basically served as a great dunk prop so far this season, between jonathon Simmons and nance. He's doomed to have a long year of getting dunked on

That or Kerr being the ultimate deep-cover Spurs sleeper agent by defusing both the Warriors and Durant in one offseason.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Man the clippers are going to feast on the warriors. Lakers made 25 out of 29 attempts at the rim.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Man the clippers are going to feast on the warriors. Lakers made 25 out of 29 attempts at the rim.
No, they'll get amped up to play us and win by 20 or something. It's when they don't play as hard as humanly possible that they get beat.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spoeank posted:

I'll save you all the trouble of looking for it

https://twitter.com/CauldronICYMI/status/794742851712086016

Is this the best white guy dunk ever

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Paulocaust posted:

Is this the best white guy dunk ever

The Jr. makes his dad easy to google.

Libertine posted:

Questions I don't actually know the answers to:

Is Durant better or worse on defense than Barnes?

Same question Zaza v Bogut?

Or is it a wash and the defensive poo poo is the fault of the other three?

Or were the Warriors always pretty bad at defense and just made up for it with much better and more efficient scoring?

It seems like everything about their team looks worse so far which isn't explained by Durant who has played better than anyone.

Durant is a better defender but will get lazier during the regular season because he has way more offensive responsibilities. Durant is a great defender when he's locked in.

Bogut is a much better defender than Zaza. I think he's also a better screener and distributor than Zaza. This is a pretty big downgrade for them. I think their smartest move was to lose Iguodala instead of Bogut but they probably couldn't do that for "culture" reasons with Bogut's outspoken views, non religiosity and Iggy's rapport.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bashez posted:

The Jr. makes his dad easy to google.

I'm sorry I dont see race

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bashez posted:

Bogut is a much better defender than Zaza. I think he's also a better screener and distributor than Zaza. This is a pretty big downgrade for them. I think their smartest move was to lose Iguodala instead of Bogut but they probably couldn't do that for "culture" reasons with Bogut's outspoken views, non religiosity and Iggy's rapport.

This is all logical, but also remember that Bogut gets hurt a lot. I can see a certain logic in forcing themselves to adapt to no Bogut, rather than becoming dependent on an injury prone player.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The only way that dunk could have been better is if West fell down. poo poo

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

E2M2 posted:

Looney looks way better than David West

I'm the one guy around here who never liked David West, so seeing him getting viciously dunked on was the highlight of the night for me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

thrilla in vanilla posted:

It's sad West is getting old and isn't bricking people anymore

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

tarbrush posted:

This is all logical, but also remember that Bogut gets hurt a lot. I can see a certain logic in forcing themselves to adapt to no Bogut, rather than becoming dependent on an injury prone player.

I think unless someone has a current or recurring problem (like a knee issue) you should build your team as if everyone is healthy because you're probably going to lose anyway if they aren't.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Or if he was a better defender.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
go lakers!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I'm gonna put myself out on a limb here and say we're gonna win a title in the next 2(two) years

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Sharparoni posted:

*wakes up, looks at box scores*

*crashes into NBA thread Kool Aid Man style*

WHEN IT COMES TO LOSING TO THE LAKERS, THE WARRIORS ARE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF EVERY OTHER TEAM

*passes out*

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Up Circle posted:

I'm gonna put myself out on a limb here and say we're gonna win a title in the next 2(two) years

It's so refreshing to see that Lakers fans are back and still Lakers fans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tarbrush posted:

Didn't they never win a game in the Finals after Bogut went down? Seems like an important piece of the puzzle.

Papercut posted:

It's so refreshing to see that Lakers fans are back and still Lakers fans.

I imagine when you root for a team that can get free agents, it's easier to get pumped for faster rebuilds. Now that the Lakers have a pulse again, they will probably be able to get a good free agent in one of the next few offseasons.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 5, 2016

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Obviously nobody is too worried because of the play of 2016-2017 National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player winner DeMar DeRozan, but DeMarre Carroll looks straight-up cooked.

Forget the laughable finishing at the rim or the disappearance of his 3-point shot; the dude cannot play defense anymore, period. He can't stay in front of anyone, is constantly getting back-cut, and whether it's the lingering knee injury or permanent damage I am glad to see Dwane Casey bench him in favour of Ross and Powell.

One day the Raptors will have a versatile wing defender that can knock down open shots. That day is not today, and we still have two more years of this.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Was Carrol really ever any good? I'm asking honestly, he always seems to be getting owned when I watch him play.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Didn't they never win a game in the Finals after Bogut went down? Seems like an important piece of the puzzle.

Bogut was dl the most important piece to the warriors puzzle. they struggled in the post season due to him being injured before they went to the big dance. he was the screen setter that made all their open looks happen (green too but still), he was the rock solid foundation of their defense (not green), and his rebounding cleaned up a ton of their messes. i've been noticing them coming up for years and bogut's been a major key to their success. its surprising to me how easily people thought they could just walk away from him without any repercussions. i figure he's just too injury prone to be reliable so they knew they needed to cut bait eventually, but he was a big deal on that team.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

Was Carrol really ever any good? I'm asking honestly, he always seems to be getting owned when I watch him play.

There were definitely arguments to be had over how much of his success in Atlanta was system versus ability and the Raptors have tried to get him to expand his offensive game which I think was a mistake from the start, but his defense was always good and he has had decent to good 3PT% in regular minutes.

Now his shot looks mechanically busted and he can't play a lick of D against even average players. It's bad.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spoeank posted:

I'll save you all the trouble of looking for it

https://twitter.com/CauldronICYMI/status/794742851712086016

From a few pages back, but that <slaphead> elevates this to elite

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

roundmidnight posted:

Obviously nobody is too worried because of the play of 2016-2017 National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player winner DeMar DeRozan, but DeMarre Carroll looks straight-up cooked.

Forget the laughable finishing at the rim or the disappearance of his 3-point shot; the dude cannot play defense anymore, period. He can't stay in front of anyone, is constantly getting back-cut, and whether it's the lingering knee injury or permanent damage I am glad to see Dwane Casey bench him in favour of Ross and Powell.

One day the Raptors will have a versatile wing defender that can knock down open shots. That day is not today, and we still have two more years of this.
mods rename roundmidnight straight-up cooked

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Spacebump posted:

I imagine when you root for a team that can get free agents, it's easier to get pumped for faster rebuilds. Now that the Lakers have a pulse again, they will probably be able to get a good free agent in one of the next few offseasons.

I'm not saying they were right, I'm saying I can see how they arrived at the conclusion they did.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

tarbrush posted:

I'm not saying they were right, I'm saying I can see how they arrived at the conclusion they did.

They were just light years ahead of every other team in structure and planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I want credit for thinking DeMarre Carroll sucked way before anyone else

• Locked thread