Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe Hirohiko Araki will share his dark secret that keeps him so young and will we always have bitter Tomino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey Kihel get with the program and dress up as a giant robot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKmcatYLXo

Gundam Info just put out a ten minute teaser for Origin episode IV. I really really like the stuff between Degwin and Garma, but I feel that the scene between Dozle and his future wife was a little too abrupt, when subtlety would have worked better.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 5, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I hope Tomino becomes the oldest man alive at some point if only because of how funny I'd find that, considering the themes in his shows about youth and the older generation needing to go away.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe Hirohiko Araki will share his dark secret that keeps him so young and will we always have bitter Tomino?

Araki and Tomino are the yin and yang of immortality, where Araki will always be a jovial man in his late 20s and Tomino has been a whip tongued fogey since the dawn of time and will continue to be so long after we are all dust

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gundam Info just put out a ten minute teaser for Origin episode IV. I really really like the stuff between Degwin and Garma, but I feel that the scene between Dozle and his future wife was a little too abrupt, when subtlety would have worked better.

I see your point, the problem is there can never be anything subtle about Dozle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dozle has what is probably one of my favorite moments in the manga.

After hearing about Zeon gassing a space colony, he gets super disturbed and almost realizes how loving hosed up the side he is fighting for is...though ultimately he talks himself back into supporting Zeon, starts some heavy mental gymnastics, uses "protecting his daughter" to make himself okay with all of this etc. That brief moment of cognitive dissonance really humanizes the character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Raxivace posted:

Dozle has what is probably one of my favorite moments in the manga.

After hearing about Zeon gassing a space colony, he gets super disturbed and almost realizes how loving hosed up the side he is fighting for is...though ultimately he talks himself back into supporting Zeon, starts some heavy mental gymnastics, uses "protecting his daughter" to make himself okay with all of this etc. That brief moment of cognitive dissonance really humanizes the character.

Yeah. He's the member of Zeon that most can sympathize with easily, but at the same time there's a reason his final moments in the anime scare the poo poo out of Amuro.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Though he was mostly played seriously, a number of Dozle's scenes in the manga were over the top. I think it happened more often with him than anyone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ka0 posted:

I see your point, the problem is there can never be anything subtle about Dozle.

True, but even with Dozle having a hard time with self control, I still think that, given the circumstances, asking for comfort might have been more likely than immediately jumping to marriage. This takes place immediately after his little brother was almost killed, he gets chewed out by his father, and he is forced to resign his post. His current career is in shambles (even though being a Zabi he makes a quick rebound), so I'd think he'd be more shaken up about things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

True, but even with Dozle having a hard time with self control, I still think that, given the circumstances, asking for comfort might have been more likely than immediately jumping to marriage. This takes place immediately after his little brother was almost killed, he gets chewed out by his father, and he is forced to resign his post. His current career is in shambles (even though being a Zabi he makes a quick rebound), so I'd think he'd be more shaken up about things.

He is. Dozel Zabi is the kind of guy who responds to being shaken up with action. You see this throughout The Origin (and to some degree in the original show considering how little screen time is in it.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I get it, I just feel that it's a little clunky considering the only other scene they shared was her holding him at gunpoint. It's a minor quibble that has more to do with my own idea of how a relationship should be presented rather than a more spontaneous reaction followed by reciprocation. It's sort of crazy that she responds by blushing and ultimately going along with his proposal rather than being weirded out. I guess she really wanted that zabi title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I get it, I just feel that it's a little clunky considering the only other scene they shared was her holding him at gunpoint. It's a minor quibble that has more to do with my own idea of how a relationship should be presented rather than a more spontaneous reaction followed by reciprocation. It's sort of crazy that she responds by blushing and ultimately going along with his proposal rather than being weirded out. I guess she really wanted that zabi title.

The fact she was holding him at gunpoint is what appealed him! Someone who is going to appeal to Dozel (and end up as the mother of Mineva Zabi) is probably going to more the impulsive type anyway. He is not a guy who favors calm reasonable action with forethought. He's a guy who goes "lemme hop into that prototype mobile armor PERSONALLY."

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The editing and music direction really take a dive in the Rasara's life episode. One second you have a chase scene with Stampa in a mech, cut to Rasara's emotional death with Mondo and her sister, and then cut back to wacky chase with funny music.

The plot also totally jumped from the mech battle at Stampa's stronghold straight to everyone back at the Argama in dock. These are some weirdly paced episodes. I get that the show is trying to introduce the levity from the beginning again, but it's just gruesome when people actually die during it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The next Build Fighters should have a worlds tournament that culminates into a reunion battle between Sei and Reiji.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azubah posted:

The next Build Fighters should have a worlds tournament that culminates into a reunion battle between Sei and Reiji.

The next Build Fighters should be a gritty post-apocalyptic series. Plavsky particle generators went out of control, and now the atmosphere is saturated with them. It turns out Plavsky particles disrupt electronic communications just like Minovsky particles, so it led to the downfall of civilization. The economy crashed, planes fell from the sky. Multiple countries, believing they were under attack, launched nukes which went wildly off course. Now the survivors scrounge for what they can, but are constantly under threat from the rulers of this new world; Dangerous criminals who use Gunpla as weapons to take what they want, the Build Raiders. The only people who can stand up to them? Young men and women, driven by a love of justice and Gunpla, the Build Fighters!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

The next Build Fighters should be a gritty post-apocalyptic series. Plavsky particle generators went out of control, and now the atmosphere is saturated with them. It turns out Plavsky particles disrupt electronic communications just like Minovsky particles, so it led to the downfall of civilization. The economy crashed, planes fell from the sky. Multiple countries, believing they were under attack, launched nukes which went wildly off course. Now the survivors scrounge for what they can, but are constantly under threat from the rulers of this new world; Dangerous criminals who use Gunpla as weapons to take what they want, the Build Raiders. The only people who can stand up to them? Young men and women, driven by a love of justice and Gunpla, the Build Fighters!
This reminds me of when GBF was first airing, and people legitimately thought there would be some kind of twist where Gunpla Battle was just some kind of ridiculously convoluted, secret recruiting process for actual Mobile Suit pilots.

Those were the days...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

This reminds me of when GBF was first airing, and people legitimately thought there would be some kind of twist where Gunpla Battle was just some kind of ridiculously convoluted, secret recruiting process for actual Mobile Suit pilots.

Those were the days...

I'm glad that didn't happen. It would have been really bad and dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

I'm glad that didn't happen. It would have been really bad and dumb.

It can be good!

Iron Leaguer actually has a twist like that and pulls it off well. (Partially because Iron Leaguer's end twist is 'the robots rejecting the battles')

I agree that it probably wouldn't have been good for BF though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It would have been dumb (For the kind of show BF is), but I think that kind of speculation is funny looking back.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well the Meijin and Reijin would have been goddamn killing machines if they ever got their hands on a mobile suit, considering all the insane stuff they did in bf.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Well the Meijin and Reijin would have been goddamn killing machines if they ever got their hands on a mobile suit, considering all the insane stuff they did in bf.

Correction - they would be extremely good at non-lethally disabling their enemies and then teaching them to find joy through tiny plastic models.

The One Year War, for instance, would have ended in Char, Amuro, and Lalah assembling a diorama together, while Gihren removes his own hands trying to put together an MG Zaku's tubing and bleeds to death.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 8, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Raxivace posted:

Those were the days...

So,Ender's Game in Gundam form? I've seen dumb fan "theories" and that takes the cake.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Makes me think of The Last Starfighter.

I think it was less a theory and more about hoping it's what it was gonna be.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Srice posted:

Makes me think of The Last Starfighter.

Oh,God, I remember loving that cheesy movie. It makes me feel old. :( But now I'm imagining a Core Booster (or whatever the hip new Core Fighter is) doing the Death Blossom and I'm all like :allears:

Srice posted:

I think it was less a theory and more about hoping it's what it was gonna be.

That probably would have actually been a thing if Tomino were directing it. And there would have been a whole bunch of anti-consumerism social commentary/satire in there,too. And most of the cast dying,because Kill'Em All. That's one of Tomino's nicknames,right?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 8, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tomino used to do that but it has been ages since he had a high named character body count in any of his shows

The last time that happened was in the early 90s I think, with Victory Gundam

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think even Tomino might have needed a break after Victory Gundam reguarding that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck even in his heyday of killing off characters he still made shows where none of that happened to that extent. Stuff like Xabungle, Daitarn 3, etc.

Xabungle would feel right at home alongside a lot of his post Victory Gundam work

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You kill off nearly an entire cast of characters a couple of times and they never let you live it down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xarbala posted:

You kill off nearly an entire cast of characters a couple of times and they never let you live it down.

Zambot 3's kill-em-all is pretty overrated. Most of the King Biel's staff escapes. Two of the Zambot pilots and (IIRC) the father and grandfather die but it isn't a case of 'everyone in the show dies!"

The dog does die though which is pretty "Oh come on that's excessive."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He was just taking cues from Hirohiko "Dog-hater" Araki.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Isnt zambot 3 the one with human bombs and 2/3 kid pilots killing themselves in a suicide attack in the end? Yeah I think tomino was still pretty hosed up during that time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Zambot 3's kill-em-all is pretty overrated. Most of the King Biel's staff escapes. Two of the Zambot pilots and (IIRC) the father and grandfather die but it isn't a case of 'everyone in the show dies!"

Zeta's a pretty solid kill em-all though. So is ideon. the guy's got the reputation for a reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Heck even in his heyday of killing off characters he still made shows where none of that happened to that extent. Stuff like Xabungle, Daitarn 3, etc.

Xabungle would feel right at home alongside a lot of his post Victory Gundam work

Let's be fair, a lot of G-Reco was spent just faintly hoping he might actually go kill-em-all with a Moonlit Butterfly at the end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be fair, a lot of G-Reco was spent just faintly hoping he might actually go kill-em-all with a Moonlit Butterfly at the end.

Only by turbonerds!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Of the Tomino shows that do wind up ending in a bloodbath while the sheer amount of deaths can be shocking they tend to make sense tonally for their setting, whether it be a war with lots of casualties or dealing with ancient unknown powers.

If G-Reco did it it'd be a pretty unusual tonal shift.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Of the Tomino shows that do wind up ending in a bloodbath while the sheer amount of deaths can be shocking they tend to make sense tonally for their setting, whether it be a war with lots of casualties or dealing with ancient unknown powers.

If G-Reco did it it'd be a pretty unusual tonal shift.

To be slightly fair G-Reco does have an undercurrent about people dealing with something they genuinely both in terms of war and weaponry and the climax does involve people using weaponry they don't understand that causes a whole lot of deaths. That said, yeah, a 'complete wipe' ending was incredibly unlikely.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I wish the concept/theme of "Haman isn't a bad person at heart" was a little better explored or fleshed out in ZZ. Characters keep saying this, but she doesn't really prove it through her actions. I guess she's less overtly evil than Glemy in most ways, but she did organize another colony drop.

Her trying to recruit Judau is also strange. I guess she is supposed to be a lonely, hard hearted person who is trying to shoulder responsibility? If she got to him in the first 15 episodes, it would have worked for sure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

brainwrinkle posted:

I wish the concept/theme of "Haman isn't a bad person at heart" was a little better explored or fleshed out in ZZ. Characters keep saying this, but she doesn't really prove it through her actions. I guess she's less overtly evil than Glemy in most ways, but she did organize another colony drop.

Her trying to recruit Judau is also strange. I guess she is supposed to be a lonely, hard hearted person who is trying to shoulder responsibility? If she got to him in the first 15 episodes, it would have worked for sure.

Haman was only 16 years old when she ended up in command of Axis(she's 20 in Z and 21 in ZZ). To do what it takes to assert your leadership over what amounts to an army of political/military exiles at that age would require you to basically sever your childhood entirely and suppress your emotions; it would have been doubly difficult her to do so because she's an incredibly powerful newtype.

I think what they're going for is that Haman could have been a good person but her position and her responsibilities to Axis basically turned her into a monster. Her reaching out to Judau is her making a connection with someone who is similar to how she could have been if circumstances had been different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
That "I'll never forget that you loved me" line sure is strange. Roux obviously acted as if she hated Glemy. Does it mean that she secretly liked him, or that she was disgusted by being loved by a megalomaniac? She says "I'm sorry" and cries a single tear right afterward, but she was killing someone in semi-cold blood.