Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Remember I told you all I work in IT for a trucking company? Well the end date has been set at 11/18, and IDGAF anymore. This is one of our company's "seasoned" drivers. This idiot will always talk you down because "he's been driving for 30 years, and he just knows what he's talking about, and you have no loving clue". He's also a raging racist. This is his 5 minutes of fame reflecting his complete stupidity on Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=521_1204241793

"It triggered the overheight sensors and the warning sign before the tunnel's entrance, but the driver didn't stop."

loving idiot. Good riddance you morons. They've only killed 6 or 8 people though, so I guess that's some sort of a good record, huh?

OK, I'll stop being bitter now, and be happy 'cause... 11/18... :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Remember I told you all I work in IT for a trucking company? Well the end date has been set at 11/18, and IDGAF anymore. This is one of our company's "seasoned" drivers. This idiot will always talk you down because "he's been driving for 30 years, and he just knows what he's talking about, and you have no loving clue". He's also a raging racist. This is his 5 minutes of fame reflecting his complete stupidity on Liveleak:

"It triggered the overheight sensors and the warning sign before the tunnel's entrance, but the driver didn't stop."

loving idiot. Good riddance you morons. They've only killed 6 or 8 people though, so I guess that's some sort of a good record, huh?

November 2018?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

November 2018?

Sorry, no November, 18th 2016. Just sent the resignation.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

So I work in a completely different field from you, but I find that without fail, anybody who brings up how many years they've been doing something as a justification that they know what they're doing/why they're right and you're wrong about something is without fail a) a total oval office and b) in the wrong about whatever it is they're arguing about, and quite often not only are they wrong but they've done something so mind-bogglingly stupid you become amazed that they're even able to dress themselves in the morning.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splode posted:

Yeah at some point it's a situation where they clearly don't care that much (or it's making them more money in fines than it costs to repair) because, as shown, there are plenty of ways to fix it.
They all cost money, but not a ridiculous amount of money.

A quick blast of flame toward the windshield from a personal flamethrower mounted on the bridge might alert truck drivers more.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A quick blast of flame toward the windshield from a personal flamethrower mounted on the bridge might alert truck drivers more.

......Where can I buy one of those? Got an Amazon link?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What gets me is why the lights turn red for that truck and the warning sign comes on.... and then go green again. Is that not a design flaw in the warning system? Shouldn't they wait for there to not be an overheight truck heading towards the bridge to go green again?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

What gets me is why the lights turn red for that truck and the warning sign comes on.... and then go green again. Is that not a design flaw in the warning system? Shouldn't they wait for there to not be an overheight truck heading towards the bridge to go green again?

How would the truck move when it has a red light?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Does that set of lights not just prohibit things from moving under the bridge or am I misunderstanding something about how the intersection works? (I'm in the UK and I don't have experience of US intersections)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NFX posted:

You depress the accelerator.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I love the railway bridge round the corner from where I live. The milk lorry and the salad lorry were especially entertaining.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

NFX posted:

it should be a roundabout

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

WhatEvil posted:

That's what I said when I first saw that video. You see a sign saying "overheight must turn right" and it can be taken as "if you're overheight, then you must turn right, but you're okay because the lights changed to green!"

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

So I work in a completely different field from you, but I find that without fail, anybody who brings up how many years they've been doing something as a justification that they know what they're doing/why they're right and you're wrong about something is without fail a) a total oval office and b) in the wrong about whatever it is they're arguing about, and quite often not only are they wrong but they've done something so mind-bogglingly stupid you become amazed that they're even able to dress themselves in the morning.

The funny thing is that this guy continues to be employed by my (ex) company. Allowing that to happen just completely redefines stupid and inept management. And they continue to bitch about low profit margins, and bad driver retention, like it's not their fault. HTF does that even happen if it can't be attributed to some form of corporate brain damage? If I trashed 7 years of important, and irreplaceable financial data, I'd be booted out before I could blink an eye. Yet, this idiot still drives for them. Oh yeah, they all think Trump is Jesus Christ incarnate. :suicide:

Whatever, I'm out.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The funny thing is that this guy continues to be employed by my (ex) company. Allowing that to happen just completely redefines stupid and inept management. And they continue to bitch about low profit margins, and bad driver retention, like it's not their fault. HTF does that even happen if it can't be attributed to some form of corporate brain damage? If I trashed 7 years of important, and irreplaceable financial data, I'd be booted out before I could blink an eye. Yet, this idiot still drives for them. Oh yeah, they all think Trump is Jesus Christ incarnate. :suicide:

Whatever, I'm out.

Yeah, you're right, political affiliation has everything to do with general intelligence and job skills.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

satanic splash-back posted:

Yeah, you're right, political affiliation has everything to do with general intelligence and job skills.

I've never met a college educated libertarian social worker

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

Man the cognitive dissonance is strong on the road

Not really, it's the normal usual ratio of individuals that can be trusted to safely use dangerous thing versus the hordes of idiots that shouldn't be trusted with anything more complicated than a spoon.
This thread wouldn't exist without it.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

this is a great idea i don't know why people have not thought of this before. hey, maybe they could even raise the bridge or lower the road!

I have a hard time believing they haven't tried the cheaper solution of lowering the road under the bridge by about 4-inches or so in the last ten or more years. I'm kind of surprised the city isn't sued by not providing a proper height truck route through downtown. From the height of the curb in this area, it seems like they've progressively laid asphalt on top of asphalt without milling the old pavement away and thus created a more hazardous underpass than likely existed originally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neutrino posted:

I have a hard time believing they haven't tried the cheaper solution of lowering the road under the bridge by about 4-inches or so in the last ten or more years. I'm kind of surprised the city isn't sued by not providing a proper height truck route through downtown. From the height of the curb in this area, it seems like they've progressively laid asphalt on top of asphalt without milling the old pavement away and thus created a more hazardous underpass than likely existed originally.

Why would full-size trucks need to be even allowed downtown? They aren't in my city.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why would full-size trucks need to be even allowed downtown? They aren't in my city.

Full-size trucks seem to love to get into the least convenient, most dangerous places they possibly can. They're constantly wedging themselves through the tiny narrow back roads in my town, semis knocking down power lines is a nearly monthly occurrence.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neutrino posted:

Hey dipshit, maybe try reading. In both this thread, and in the links provided in this thread, it says that the road CANNOT be lowered as major pipelines run under the road there.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
build a new truck-only road bridge over the train bridge with 4 inches of clearance too few to get revenge on all the trains

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Trains are federally regulated and because of the ridiculous amount of right of ways they needed to first implant themselves, they have a regulatory environment that is ridiculously favourable to the railways.

Long story short, if you build an overpass over a railway that isn't high enough for trains, that overpass is going to come down and you're going to pay for it coming down.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Every time the 11 foot 8 bridge comes up, without fail somebody always tries to drive under it with a truckload full of "why don't they just do XYZ?!" posts and Australian water stop-signs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

C.M. Kruger posted:

Every time the 11 foot 8 bridge comes up, without fail somebody always tries to drive under it with a truckload full of "why don't they just do XYZ?!" posts and Australian water stop-signs.

What if the truckload of posts tries to cross under an 11 ft 8 thread?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Improbable Lobster posted:

What if the truckload of posts tries to cross under an 11 ft 8 thread?

It gets stuck and everyone yells at them.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

I didn't see anyone say what's wrong with the water stop sign though. I think I'd have a hard time missing it no matter how distracted I was, but my guess is that it probably costs a bunch and still doesn't help because people are just too stupid and the only real solution is natural selection? To be fair, I'm not sure what I'd do if a massive stop sign suddenly materialized in front of me, though. I think it might freak me out a bit. On the other hand, if I was a truck driver with 30 years of experience I'd probably not even blink an eye :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Buttcoin purse posted:

I didn't see anyone say what's wrong with the water stop sign though. I think I'd have a hard time missing it no matter how distracted I was, but my guess is that it probably costs a bunch and still doesn't help because people are just too stupid and the only real solution is natural selection? To be fair, I'm not sure what I'd do if a massive stop sign suddenly materialized in front of me, though. I think it might freak me out a bit. On the other hand, if I was a truck driver with 30 years of experience I'd probably not even blink an eye :v:

Jabor posted:

The 11'8 bridge is actually problematic for that, because trucks still need access to the side road immediately in front of it. You don't know for sure an approaching truck is going to be an idiot and try and drive under the bridge, so you have to do non-disruptive stuff like a stonking great TRUCKS MUST TURN sign that flashes when a truck is approaching.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

......Where can I buy one of those? Got an Amazon link?

Not Amazon but, http://xm42.com/

Ha this pops up when you go to put in an order:

We are receiving an unprecedented amount of orders due to the current political climate. Place your order online if possible as website stock levels are in real-time & accurate. It may take up to 6-8 business days before shipment. Please email us with order status questions. DETAILS

JB50 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 6, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FrozenVent posted:

Trains are federally regulated and because of the ridiculous amount of right of ways they needed to first implant themselves, they have a regulatory environment that is ridiculously favourable to the railways.
I'm not sure whether the existence of federal legislation saying "guys, you can't make a state tax just to gently caress over the railroads" is for or against your position.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

JB50 posted:

Not Amazon but, http://xm42.com/

Ha this pops up when you go to put in an order:

We are receiving an unprecedented amount of orders due to the current political climate. Place your order online if possible as website stock levels are in real-time & accurate. It may take up to 6-8 business days before shipment. Please email us with order status questions. DETAILS

that's gotta be code for "6-8 days for several government agencies to check you twice"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also make sure you can actually legally own one in your province orstate

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also make sure you can actually legally own one in your province orstate

It might be this law. I love its name.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not a law. It was a bill and it looks like it died in committee.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Additionaly I suspect the water signs wouldn't be as visible as in the video, since the bridge doesn't have a entire tunnel to make a nice dark background.

Also:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rth-damage.html

quote:

Sydney truck drivers continue to be ‘stupid cowboys’ by getting stuck in the city’s tunnels, despite more warning signs being put in place and an increase in penalties and fines.

In 2015 there were 25 incidents where oversized trucks tried to squeeze themselves through the Harbour tunnel, the M5 and the Airport tunnel.

This year there has already been five trucks stuck in tunnels, leading to traffic chaos throughout the city, the Herald Sun reported.

New South Wales Roads Minister Duncan Gay blames the cowboys in the industry who continue to ignore changes including alerts, warning lights, infra-red height detectors and layby areas for trucks to pull over before entering tunnels safely.

‘Not to mention introducing hefty fines and penalties, yet there are still stupid cowboys that give it a crack.’

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/U0osn9b.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In August a water slide decapitated a boy.

And of course Action Park’s loop‐the‐loop slide is infamous for lasting all of one month before being shut down due to the high number of injuries:

That is at most the third worst water slide ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
P.S.: Action Park is bringing the loop back:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly a straight vertical drop on a waterslide seems like an even worse idea than a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
New Action Park seems like it was designed as a Saw-style murder trap from the get-go, instead of just because of negligence.