Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress I'm blind now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Otto-chan is so tsundere.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

I never even tried to ally QQ, my strategy basically revolves around stabbing QQ in the rear end while they're dealing with their first spawn of Iraqi rebels. You have to fight a nasty war in the mountains and it's entirely possible that you can get bad dice rolls and have your entire army crushed because you have no actual forts. Also I had some weird poo poo when an enemy fort was stopping me from moving from one of their provinces adjacent to one of my provinces into my province, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

I hadn't thought to start out with a double war so you can get Shirvan as an owned province straight away; that's a drat good idea and may well make that first war a lot easier.

Persia is a pretty frustrating part of the map to play in re: the Rennaisance, since you can see it sloooowly creeping towards you which makes you feel like you shouldn't bother forcing it to spawn, but it's also lovely when you can see everyone else getting better tech while you're left behind :saddowns:

OTOH you get the fun of carving up all your early enemies into big beefy vassals (Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, etc)

You can still butt stab QQ after grabbing free land in the Caucasus. It just feels so unreliable because QQ can get their stack of 20 dudes from one side of the country to another pretty fast and the AI will completely concede the western half of the country to the Ottomans or Mamluks if they think they have a good chance of at least winning their war with you. Also yeah the siege attacking change definitely threw a wrench into a lot of early strats.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Quick question: I'm playing as Tunis and my 80 trust alliance with the Ottomans is what's keeping me from being devoured by the Iberians. I want to take provinces from the Mamlukes, will my high trust keep the Ottomans from ending the alliance?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Detheros posted:

Otto-chan is so tsundere.

I hope France-senpai will ally me :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I don't see it posted anywhere - do we have date for when in November Paradox is releasing that major free patch?

I actually an a fan of the map coloring and characters used to write the country names, but lol animu.
What are we looking at anyway? The Ottomans getting kicked early?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Contingency Plan posted:

Quick question: I'm playing as Tunis and my 80 trust alliance with the Ottomans is what's keeping me from being devoured by the Iberians. I want to take provinces from the Mamlukes, will my high trust keep the Ottomans from ending the alliance?

You're okay as long as you don't take any lands that they desire/have claims on (which changes based on what missions they get). If you really wanna be safe, stay out of Egypt and just grab their random North African provinces. Which is like 3-4 of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What's up with anime fans' obsession with making every last thing anime? Like I'm a big Bowie fan but I don't try to shoehorn his portrait into every drat thing.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Wafflecopper posted:

What's up with anime fans' obsession with making every last thing anime? Like I'm a big Bowie fan but I don't try to shoehorn his portrait into every drat thing.

mental illness

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Contingency Plan posted:

Usually! Try not to take more than a couple of provinces that they have marked red at a time. (Assuming you have the expansion that lets you see that.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Obviously not a true Bowie fan

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but what with all the patches and dlc I am kinda concerned that I have no idea where and how to get started in the game. Will the manual even correspond to the current gameplay? The tutorial? I have no idea how to get into this :(

Helion fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 6, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Helion posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but what with all the patches and dlc I am kinda concerned that I have no idea where and how to get started in the game. Will the manual even correspond to the current gameplay? The tutorial? I have no idea how to get into this :(

Start the game. Go through the tutorial. Start the main campaign, click on the 'ottomans', have at it. You won't get everything right the first time; you'll miss a lot. That's OK.

Mess around! There's no better way to learn a game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Helion posted:

PleasingFungus posted:

Start the game. Go through the tutorial. Start the main campaign, click on the 'ottomans', have at it. You won't get everything right the first time; you'll miss a lot. That's OK.

Mess around! There's no better way to learn a game.

Yeah, exactly. Also remember that just because you lose a war or a battle, it doesn't mean you lost the game. Don't restart because of setbacks, because often you'll learn more by tackling something head-on. Set a goal and work towards it, even if it's some random thing, and learn the mechanics you need to learn on the way. Achievements are useful for this.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I actually an a fan of the map coloring and characters used to write the country names

lmao

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What the absolute gently caress is wrong with you?

alternatively, source your quotes? God drat everything about that is terrible

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That map actually reminds me of old maps I used to see from books made in the 1800s and very early 1900s. The khaki colored water and the white font for the nation names ruins the look.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That map mod has like ten thousand sub-mods that make the colors brighter and the water darker. For some reason he's using a different font mod and the default settings which are atrocious. ANyway I like it because it shows terrain but the terrain is little hand-drawn forests and mountains, like old maps, instead of the 3d isometric abortion Paradox thinks looks amazing and keeps trying to shove down my throat

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eej posted:

You can still butt stab QQ after grabbing free land in the Caucasus. It just feels so unreliable because QQ can get their stack of 20 dudes from one side of the country to another pretty fast and the AI will completely concede the western half of the country to the Ottomans or Mamluks if they think they have a good chance of at least winning their war with you. Also yeah the siege attacking change definitely threw a wrench into a lot of early strats.

Yeah I noticed that they seem to love ignoring the guys taking all their sweet provinces in Iraq. If it wasn't for how good the Persian starting NIs are it would be drat near impossible I think.

Re: mapchat TBARW with the white font and translucent political map mode submods is still best :colbert:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Obviously not a true Bowie fan

I would absolutely download and use a mod that changes all the leaders on the loading screens to various Bowie incarnations

Edit: even if it disables achievements

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

I never realised Skanderbeg was so kawaii.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the name of that anime flag mod please? :shobon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YouTuber posted:

That map actually reminds me of old maps I used to see from books made in the 1800s and very early 1900s. The khaki colored water and the white font for the nation names ruins the look.
People can laugh at me all they want but this is what I saw in it. I don't like the water or white font either, but it just gives me that "I'm looking at a map from that time period" feel, which is cool.

gently caress the anime though; anime is cartoons.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Poil posted:

What's the name of that anime flag mod please? :shobon:

Sorry no idea, just saw the screenshot on reddit.

e for my own picture:

I'm the papal controller and can't unexcommunicate myself :(

feller fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 6, 2016

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

Sorry no idea, just saw the screenshot on reddit.

e for my own picture:

I'm the papal controller and can't unexcommunicate myself :(
In CK2 I was imprisoned by a vassal, imprisoned him in turn, and couldn't get him to release me. Luckily I was a women so I got away with my eyes. Small blessings for Byzantine medical science not including hysterectomies.

That said, both things should probably not occur. And all that and no mention of how Aragon is giving Castile a good licking?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hambilderberglar posted:

In CK2 I was imprisoned by a vassal, imprisoned him in turn, and couldn't get him to release me. Luckily I was a women so I got away with my eyes. Small blessings for Byzantine medical science not including hysterectomies.

That said, both things should probably not occur. And all that and no mention of how Aragon is giving Castile a good licking?

Castille has a bigger army than Aragon but is like 3 miltechs behind. I have no real idea why, but it's been like that for most of the game. Aragon actually had conquered all but the Leon area until they also conquered Genoa and made me end our alliance.

I'm about to finish the siege of Valencia in this SS and then resiege all that crap they took.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

Apparently there's an exploit where you can royal marry Ming and then insult them, which'll drop their stability or something (I don't really understand it), which makes them lose the Mandate of Heaven and probably explode. I haven't tried it personally though.

The idea was that they'd break their royal marriage and take a stability hit. Apparently, that exploit is why the AI doesn't lose stability for breaking a royal marriage anymore.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Can someone explain how Aragon can become Papal Controller when they're the junior partner in the PU with Castile? It doesn't quite make sense to me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone tell me if I understand this correctly: The Ottomans have 15 transport ships, are allied with Hejaz, have no direct border with me or Hejaz and the Mameluks hate them. Also I still have four years of Portuguese military aid. Yemen is my vassal. I have enough AE with both of them for them to join a coalition because I took Cairo immediately after the Turks took Syria which dropped the Mameluks from rival status for them. This looks like an opportunity to eat their manpower, break their alliance and maybe take a few provinces off Hejaz. Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The AI will give military access to people it hates, as long as it also hates the person they're fighting. Also, because military access is universal in wars now, if some random ally of Hedjaz were to get military access from the Mamluks, the Ottomans get it too.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The Religious Wars do fun things to the HRE. :allears:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Perfect start to my Korea game :getin:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I haven't seen Ming shatter ONCE since 1.18 dropped, god drat.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Coming back after nearly a year, getting used to institutions. It's 1495 and my landlocked Muscovy is still limping toward Renaissance. :v:

Since westernization as we used to know it is gone, are there any events that specifically simulate major reforms like Peter the Great's?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You pump a load of development in some lovely county that's next to a western power.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

Coming back after nearly a year, getting used to institutions. It's 1495 and my landlocked Muscovy is still limping toward Renaissance. :v:

Since westernization as we used to know it is gone, are there any events that specifically simulate major reforms like Peter the Great's?

No, but Renaissance and Colonialism are the hardest of the bunch to get. Printing press spreads fast, as does Global Trade, and Manufactories and Enlightenment do as well as long as you build Manufactories and Universities.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Crossposting this from the PGS thread for Multiplayer Map Games.

Why should you play Mapgames?

Special thanks to Obliterati, Dipwood and Johann for the acquisition of their screenshots. Hope you don't mind.
Accompanying music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRf6Rd5gYJ0

Player Map

The year is 1679. Europe has just completed over two decades of war. The scars are barely visible on this map, but borders have shifted, lives have been thrown to the slaughter, diplomatic relationships have been raised up and torn down, the world is born anew. Oh, and the Holy Roman Empire got disbanded. That was the big thing.

Hellwar
I do not remember precisely how many troops the coalition began with, but I am certain it was under 500,000. Quality would win the day

Over five decades had passed since the last coalition war: The Religious War.

Some players remained the same. In that earlier conflict, a smaller coalition of Gascony, Brandenburg, Sweden, Byzantium, Ottomans and Omani Condottierri had attacked the Catholic Austrians, Venetians, Normans, Spanish and Russians. (Apologies if I left someone out). The Catholics won a decisive victory, systematically peacing out each protestant coalition partner one by one. Poor planning, unexpected enemies in Normandy and Spain, and a failure to every unite their forces cost the Protestants any chance. Ottoman troops were bogged down in Russian mountains, only contributing to the European theatre by the time the war was lost.

This time the players on the field were very different. Gascony and Normandy swapped sides, The Netherlands took part (for a little while, at any rate), and Prussia, previously a neutral Teutonic Order, spearheaded the coalition. While the Protestants earlier had had no military commander, this time around Johann was able to command the Coalition forces to a reasonable level of efficiency.

Meanwhile, Russia stayed quiet, taking money from both sides to not join. Ottomans had no player this session, so they dodged the war.

Spain joined the war on neither side, but when war began was in a long war with Gascony. Within ten years, they would declare a war of reconquest on The Knights, only to find Gascony once more called in as their enemy. For the Coalition, the distraction this would cause Gascony was of critical importance to the war effort. Note also how Gascon Iberia disappeared between the start of the war (visible above) and at the end, in the players map. The price he paid for a quick end to war in Spain to try to salvage the Hellwar.

On the other hand, during the League, we had been fighting the Emperor. This time Austria was something else: the privilegia revoked, every remaining AI state within the HRE became his vassal - nearly forty of them. The stakes were higher, and more players were implicitly interested in preventing Greyskin. Speaking personally, Byzantium received what felt like very little diplomacy from the Coalition side, although Prussia and I had said a few sentences about it and fought a war together in the previous session that inclined me to side with him. My friendship with Venice and the Naples tore at my decision, but ultimately it felt like it would be a more interesting war to fight the Austrians than fight with them. As a little nation in a big guys world, the outcome of the war seemed rather irrelevant to little me, as, I thought, would be my contribution.

One of the earliest major engagements in the war. Favourable terrain and a general advantage mean the Coalition forces are able to trade with enormous efficiency. Nearly forty thousand more Austrian forces die in this battle than Coalition. See also the 90% Ardalan Separatists. Annoyingly, they would cause two provinces to flip to Ardalan before the war was out - there was no way forces could be diverted from the front.

Here Prussia fights against 180,000 men. All of them AI controlled armies of the vassals of Austria. Note that despite the overwhelming numerical advantage, Johann is still able to take a strong trade from the battle. This is partly because of the quality of his Prussian troops, but also his general has a two shock pip advantage. All the armies of Germany and they could not find a man capable of matching Maria von Hohenzollern!

Also visible in this screenshot is a fully occupied Norman France. Crucially, Normandy had moved his capital to London. This prevented this occupation being of overwhelming consequence, and he was able to continue fighting. In direction contrast to the Netherlands, who peaced out once his provinces became occupied, with no way to mitigate the damage to his country like the Normans. This screenshot was taken in 1669 - fifteen years of occupation in Normandy, and fifteen years of attrition for those vassals. Still they packed that punch.

This is near the end of the war. About two, or three years out. Taken from the perspective of neutral Corsica

Byzantium was able to occupy huge swathes of land due to there being almost no forts. That entire area is only five forts sieged down, none level six. The war exhaustion and loss of income this causes is considerable. Especially to Venice, who was also being blockaded this entire time. My friends Venice and Naples took a battering during this war, so they might fairly hold a grievance against me. Byzantine men are good at fighting, and for reasons I do not understand, I also seem to hold the dominant galley fleet in the Med, meaning both land and superiority were mine in South-East Europe. At one point, an Austrian Stack, 60,000 Gascons and the Venetian army came to siege me down, but the investment of 120,000 men into the Balkan meatgrinder could not be sustained, with Coalition forces pushing in on the more crucial Electorate territory. Austria withdrew, and Byzantium, with a little Prussian assistance, was able to push back and relieve my territory. After that, we were never pushed back again.

I think Corsica remained allied with Austria at this point, so we can see the entirety of the Austrian forces. From over 650,000 men to just over 100,000. The cost in lives was immense. Austria gathered for one final stand at Memmingen, the final HRE Elector. Once that fell, the Coalition disbanded the HRE and the war was over.

Here is the peace deal.

What this misses out is the actual war goal: Disbandment of the HRE. By Disbanding the HRE, we prevent Austria forming Greyskin, but he still retains all 37 vassals. In some ways this cripples him, as they all cost diplo points, so he is now locked at -999. In other ways, Austria feels there is a usefulness in being able to sell his vassals to who he chooses.

Every player in the war took one province, Brandenburg two on account of the fact they were inside his borders. Ultimately, 100 war score is not a lot using the Conquest CB, and spread between five players. For two decades of war, it isn't much.

If I can allow myself a little indulgence, I think there are three major factors that meant the Coalition was victorious in this war.

First, the immense sacrifice that Normandy endured by having his land occupied for almost the entirety of the war. War exhaustion hit Normandy harder than anyone, but they never faltered in their commitment.
Secondly, Gascony as an uncertain ally. His return to Iberia allowed major gains to be made that were never recovered from. I repeatedly suggested we temporarily abandon Central Europe to focus on sieging up Gascony, but we never went for it. Probably a good decision in retrospect, as it would have involved unsieging Normandy and then moving into Gascony. A process that would have taken years, and just ensured Gascon troops would always be fighting in the same battles as the Austrians.
Third, due to how evenly matched the centre ground was, the free reign Byzantine troops had on the Eastern front would eventually undermine the capabilities of the Austrian war effort.

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 7, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechanical Ape posted:

The best way to get an institution into your country is to conquer a province that already has it.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I love institutions.

Eat poo poo, Europe. Time for you idiots to Kongoize.
Did you get Feudalism and Renaissance before you got your first Idea group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's a shame the break alliance great power meddling doesn't work on vassals or PU's. :v:

LemonyTang posted:

What this misses out is the actual war goal: Disbandment of the HRE. By Disbanding the HRE, we prevent Austria forming Greyskin, but he still retains all 37 vassals. In some ways this cripples him, as they all cost diplo points, so he is now locked at -999. In other ways, Austria feels there is a usefulness in being able to sell his vassals to who he chooses.
:roflolmao:

• Locked thread