Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The last time this happened people forgot to disable find my iPhone before the factory reset. It would cause the trade in promo not be applied since it was part of the terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The last time this happened people forgot to disable find my iPhone before the factory reset. It would cause the trade in promo not be applied since it was part of the terms

Yeah that happened with mine, which is weird because I turned it off before they did the trade in

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Has anyone with a Nexus 6 gotten the 7.0 update yet? Apparently it's been out awhile now but I haven't gotten it yet.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

why wouldn't every device get it on the same day?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Has anyone with a Nexus 6 gotten the 7.0 update yet? Apparently it's been out awhile now but I haven't gotten it yet.

I have 7.0 but I did the beta trick. Enrolled in the program and then un-enrolled immediately after installing it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/android-7-0-nougat-update-download-beta/amp/

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I activated safety mode before I ran out of data, but now my portal is saying that I was charged $15 for an extra gig. What gives? I thought safety mode was meant to prevent this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wickerman posted:

So I activated safety mode before I ran out of data, but now my portal is saying that I was charged $15 for an extra gig. What gives? I thought safety mode was meant to prevent this.

That happened to me too when I turned it on after I switched plans. I called to confirm that I wouldn't get charged and it's some weird accounting bug.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Is there still an iPhone trade in promo going on? Also what's the cheapest/best plan for just two people with around 8GB of data?

I have a Nexus 6 from sprint, and my wife has a 6s. I'd like to hold on to my Nexus and she wants an iPhone 7+. Just looking for the best way to go about this. Tried to order the iPhone and the new sim for the Nexus online, but couldn't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

St. Blaize posted:

Is there still an iPhone trade in promo going on? Also what's the cheapest/best plan for just two people with around 8GB of data?

I have a Nexus 6 from sprint, and my wife has a 6s. I'd like to hold on to my Nexus and she wants an iPhone 7+. Just looking for the best way to go about this. Tried to order the iPhone and the new sim for the Nexus online, but couldn't.

Trade in is significantly lower. $300 trade in for 6/6S over 2 years towards new phone price. So keep in mind if you upgrade in a year, it's more like $150. So not worth it for a 6S, your best bet is to buy phone from Verizon, sell iPhone 6S online. Your nexus should work fine.

I would just go into a store to get it done. Corporate store.

Edit: do the large plan:
$70 for 8GB, plus you'll get 4GB bonus data for switching two lines
$20 per line.
Total: $110 plus iPhone 7+ price. Check to see if you get a work discount.

FYI 7+ phones are still very hard to find. Either A. Order her phone first, switch everything when it comes in, or B. Unlock her iPhone 6S, order phone, use her phone while waiting for her phone to come in.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wickerman posted:

That's a bit disconcerting that the safety mode doesn't actually work!

Please let us know if they were able to fix that for you.

8-Bit- were there any details on what happened or any way to prevent or mitigate this problem like the one you had?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 28, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

That's a bit disconcerting that the safety mode doesn't actually work!

Please let us know if they were able to fix that for you.

8-Bit- were there any details on what happened or any way to prevent or mitigate this problem like the one you had?

Rep didn't specify. She just said I shouldn't be charged and from what she could tell on her side didn't see any note of it but to call back if it does show up on my bill.

Edit: Oh hey, I'm retarded. The billing period it would have appeared in happened already and I didn't see the charge in that bill.

I made the change in late September and it would have appeared in the October bill.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 28, 2016

nerox
May 20, 2001
I got a Pixel XL on order with verizon, and since they are backordered, stores won't get stock in to sale to people right? I didn't know if it was worth my time to check stores for them in stock since my ship date is still 5 weeks away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

I got a Pixel XL on order with verizon, and since they are backordered, stores won't get stock in to sale to people right? I didn't know if it was worth my time to check stores for them in stock since my ship date is still 5 weeks away.

Always possible. Unlikely to see a 128GB, but like, certainly possible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So do I have any chance of getting any substantive amount of money off a new phone trading in an LG G2 toward a Pixel XL, or is that promo only for phones that aren't nearly four years old?

I'd really be interested in getting the 128GB model since I obviously keep phones for a very long time, but I'm getting the impression that those are going to be very rare for a decent amount of time. I'm also bolstered by the SAVE20 code out now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So do I have any chance of getting any substantive amount of money off a new phone trading in an LG G2 toward a Pixel XL, or is that promo only for phones that aren't nearly four years old?

I'd really be interested in getting the 128GB model since I obviously keep phones for a very long time, but I'm getting the impression that those are going to be very rare for a decent amount of time. I'm also bolstered by the SAVE20 code out now.

Find out: https://www.verizonwireless.com/promos/device-trade-in/

Edit: Oh, they changed up the deal again. Interesting, 400 for certain phones but they don't list any and I can't find a way to expose that list. But it looks like you could maybe get $300 for your phone?

Verizon Wireless Pixel Trade-in offer posted:

Device payment purchase req‘d. Trade-in must be in good, working & cosmetic condition. Trade-in credit applied to account over 24 mos; credit begins w/in 2-3 cycles. Trade-in value: select phones, $400; any smartphone w/ $1 or higher market value, $300.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 1, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You probably can get at least $300. $400 if you are a new customer. My rule is always create order and just plug in trade in to see.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

How does it work with a backorder? If I were to go for the 128GB XL with a mid-December ship date, do I have to go without a phone until then, or do I mail in the trade-in when I get the new phone?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You mail in after you get new phone. You will receive the trade in packet before though so just hold off sending it back. It was all listed in fine print

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Is there something you have to do to get the promotional trade in value? I want to upgrade my wife's 5s to a 7 or a Pixel, but the online appraisal thing says it's only worth $85. Any chance one of the promotions would make the trade in value significantly higher than selling it on Swappa?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do people feel about Verizon insurance vs. AppleCare+ these days? I'm quite a few years out of date on my understanding of how carrier insurance works, but back in the day it meant sending your phone to some strip mall office across the country and praying they wouldn't jerk you around for 2 months. I never had to make an accidental damage claim on my previous 2 iPhones, though, so I'm not sure if I want to do AppleCare again.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
If you don't typically make claims it doesn't make sense to pay for AppleCare or carrier insurance. Carrier insurance is a bigger ripoff because of high deductibles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chu020 posted:

Is there something you have to do to get the promotional trade in value? I want to upgrade my wife's 5s to a 7 or a Pixel, but the online appraisal thing says it's only worth $85. Any chance one of the promotions would make the trade in value significantly higher than selling it on Swappa?

The trade in gets bumped when traded in with phone purchase or after phone purchase. You would get $100 towards an iPhone 7, I think $300 for a Pixel. So for the Pixel it's worth he trade in, for the 7 it is not.

Buca di Bepis posted:

How do people feel about Verizon insurance vs. AppleCare+ these days? I'm quite a few years out of date on my understanding of how carrier insurance works, but back in the day it meant sending your phone to some strip mall office across the country and praying they wouldn't jerk you around for 2 months. I never had to make an accidental damage claim on my previous 2 iPhones, though, so I'm not sure if I want to do AppleCare again.

Insurance is good if you lose it, as insurance covers lost/stolen, Apple care doesn't. Pro tip, if you want insurance, get the $7.50 insurance, it covers lost or stolen, just doesn't include extended warranty or customer support.

If you feel $7.50 a month and a $199 deductible is worth phone coverage, get it. If not, don't. Asurion customer support has gotten much better, it's just price versus risk on that $7.50 for covering lost/stolen.

Verizon employees can finally get an iPhone 7. Finally my wife will hopefully stop complaining about Pokémon go crashing (that's a lie it's the app).

Anyone want to buy a Verizon iPhone 6 128GB or a 6S 64GB?

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I'm a little confused. I bought a pixel a few weeks ago. If I brought either my old droid ultra and/or turbo could I get a special trade-in promo for it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I'm a little confused. I bought a pixel a few weeks ago. If I brought either my old droid ultra and/or turbo could I get a special trade-in promo for it?

$300 trade on most phones if you got it on device payment.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

$300 trade on most phones if you got it on device payment.

My folks got their Galaxy S4s on device payment. Are they eligible?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think he meant you have to buy the *new* phones on a payment plan, not have bought the old phones on a plan.

Now for a question of mine, since I like this deal way better than the BOGO deal that requires a new line...can I pay off the remaining balance whenever I like?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

My folks got their Galaxy S4s on device payment. Are they eligible?

Trading in the S4s towards a Pixel on device payment sure.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think he meant you have to buy the *new* phones on a payment plan, not have bought the old phones on a plan.

Now for a question of mine, since I like this deal way better than the BOGO deal that requires a new line...can I pay off the remaining balance whenever I like?

Yes, but the credit goes away, so it isn't a good idea. Essentially, the trade in promos are two year contracts that you can buy out early. You get the full $300 trade in, but only over 24 months.

And for better or worse (I'm not a fan) it doesn't look like Verizon is moving away from that policy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'll post this here too. Buy my phone so I can continue to afford to give everyone here advice:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796443&perpage=40

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Duckman - my LG G2 has a single chip (almost invisible unless you look closely) from a no-case drop that miraculously didn't manage to crack the screen, and the back is still flawless - will that single small chip potentially disqualify me for having a phone in 'good cosmetic condition?' Or will that be up to whether or not the rep I speak to had a bad day or not?

Also, does being on ULD (and wanting to stay on it) screw me out of this deal?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 5, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Duckman - my LG G2 has a single chip (almost invisible unless you look closely) from a no-case drop that miraculously didn't manage to crack the screen, and the back is still flawless - will that single small chip potentially disqualify me for having a phone in 'good cosmetic condition?' Or will that be up to whether or not the rep I speak to had a bad day or not?

Also, does being on ULD (and wanting to stay on it) screw me out of this deal?

I'd have to see it. And no, you can have unlimited data and get a phone on device payment.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Will Verizon give me any crap about activating a Pixel from the play store vs buying one from them?

Goal is to finance/ payment plan a phone purchase, without messing with my old More Everything plan.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

No they won't. I had a Nexus 6 I bought straight from Moto and it activated just fine. Hasn't been an issue for awhile

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so I put in my order for a 128GB Black Pixel that should come sometime before the heat death of the universe at an official Verizon store - not a branded retailer store - and told 12/16-12/20+ for a ship date. My concern is, they kept speaking as though the trade in was a 'sure thing,' but said I had to go through the website. I do not see the dialog/link they're speaking of that would allow me to put in the information on how to request a mail-in box to ship my old LG G2 for the credit.

Duckman, did they just tell me what I wanted to hear so they could register a sale and broom me, or is there a link I'm not seeing as to request the box, and/or do I have to call Verizon's 1-800 number and manually get things rolling?

EDIT: Never mind - I found the link, and Verizon is offering $200 for the trade-in value (still more than one would *ever* get for a G2 now), not $300. I think that might be worth a call to ask for the extra $100 credit as a good faith gesture for being a customer for 15+ years. I really don't think it's much to ask for an additional $4.17 credit to be applied for the next 24 months. All they can say is 'no.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 6, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Will Verizon give me any crap about activating a Pixel from the play store vs buying one from them?

Goal is to finance/ payment plan a phone purchase, without messing with my old More Everything plan.

No. did you check the math? Some More Everything plans are cheaper, but most are more expensive than current plans.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, so I put in my order for a 128GB Black Pixel that should come sometime before the heat death of the universe at an official Verizon store - not a branded retailer store - and told 12/16-12/20+ for a ship date. My concern is, they kept speaking as though the trade in was a 'sure thing,' but said I had to go through the website. I do not see the dialog/link they're speaking of that would allow me to put in the information on how to request a mail-in box to ship my old LG G2 for the credit.

Duckman, did they just tell me what I wanted to hear so they could register a sale and broom me, or is there a link I'm not seeing as to request the box, and/or do I have to call Verizon's 1-800 number and manually get things rolling?

EDIT: Never mind - I found the link, and Verizon is offering $200 for the trade-in value (still more than one would *ever* get for a G2 now), not $300. I think that might be worth a call to ask for the extra $100 credit as a good faith gesture for being a customer for 15+ years. I really don't think it's much to ask for an additional $4.17 credit to be applied for the next 24 months. All they can say is 'no.'

I guess you can ask care for the extra $100. I would think they would say no personally.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Our 2 year contract is up so we are looking at changing our plan to either save money or to up our data.

We have 2 smartphones with unlimited text and talk with 2 GB (per line). We pay $60 per line (not including taxes). We have paid off both of our phones (32 GB IPhone 5S) and do not plan on upgrading them.

My wife would like to have a mobile hotspot option.

What would our options look like? Will any fees not be there since we have paid off our phones? For two extremes, what would our cheapest option be that keeps us at 4GB to share and what would be our most data at the same price we pay today?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just look at the new plans on their web site. With a paid off phone, each line access fee is $20/mo, so your bill would be $40 + data bucket cost (+ taxes and fees).

With iPhones, mobile hotspot capability is included, but obviously drains from your data bucket.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Our 2 year contract is up so we are looking at changing our plan to either save money or to up our data.

We have 2 smartphones with unlimited text and talk with 2 GB (per line). We pay $60 per line (not including taxes). We have paid off both of our phones (32 GB IPhone 5S) and do not plan on upgrading them.

My wife would like to have a mobile hotspot option.

What would our options look like? Will any fees not be there since we have paid off our phones? For two extremes, what would our cheapest option be that keeps us at 4GB to share and what would be our most data at the same price we pay today?

So you have two single line $60 2GB plans. Total is $120.

Question: do you get a discount through work?

Otherwise:
4GB plan: $50
Lines: $20+$20
Total: $90 a month.

Note: base is $70 for 8GB if you ever want that.

Your current plan wouldn't qualify for a discount, this plan any work discounts go off the $50 base plan. It includes mobile hotspot.

It's cheaper, and I'd recommend it. Keep in mind it doesn't include a new "free" phone, whenever you next get a phone you have to buy phone full price on installment plan (or buy outright from whomever on the internet). So basically, no more two year contracts.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We get 19% discount.

My wife was looking at the app today to see what options there are. It looks like we can get a 12 GB for $64.80 (including discount) or a 16 GB for $72.90. The access fees would simply be $40 more a month, correct?

The discount goes off of the non-access fee cost, correct?

Also, once you are in a "t-shirt plan", are there any fees to switch to a different plan in case we try a plan and want to switch?

I was also wondering: I beta tested a Verizon set up where they were testing data free apps and websites. I heard that they set up something with the NFL but has anything else went forward with data free?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We get 19% discount.

My wife was looking at the app today to see what options there are. It looks like we can get a 12 GB for $64.80 (including discount) or a 16 GB for $72.90. The access fees would simply be $40 more a month, correct?

The discount goes off of the non-access fee cost, correct?

Also, once you are in a "t-shirt plan", are there any fees to switch to a different plan in case we try a plan and want to switch?

I was also wondering: I beta tested a Verizon set up where they were testing data free apps and websites. I heard that they set up something with the NFL but has anything else went forward with data free?

The line access is $20 per line on all plans, so that stays the same.

Your discount goes against any of the plans, and you can switch between them at any time. Call customer care, some accounts have promotions where they can get extra data (2GB a line) if they switch to the $70 8GB plan or higher even without phone purchase. Worth asking. If you get that promo you can still switch plans, you would just lose said data if you went down to the 4GB plan.

NFL and Go90 both have free streaming. Not aware of any others. I'm sure they'll find more ways of furthering the end of the open internet soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

The line access is $20 per line on all plans, so that stays the same.

Your discount goes against any of the plans, and you can switch between them at any time. Call customer care, some accounts have promotions where they can get extra data (2GB a line) if they switch to the $70 8GB plan or higher even without phone purchase. Worth asking. If you get that promo you can still switch plans, you would just lose said data if you went down to the 4GB plan.

NFL and Go90 both have free streaming. Not aware of any others. I'm sure they'll find more ways of furthering the end of the open internet soon.

I used chat the other day to get that extra 2 gigs per line without a new phone since I got an email stating so. They claimed it wasn't available and apologized for sending me a email with incorrect info. I stayed on my old plan.

• Locked thread