Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schwarzwald posted:

Wouldn't people betting on who they want to win rather than who they expect to win make them more in line with polls, rather than otherwise?

Unless betters are inherently more pro Trump than nonbetters.

My guess is that Trump supporters are disproportionally emotionally invested in their candidate winning. Just look at how many of them flat-out reject the positive sign for Clinton and clamour to the 'monster vote'. But I admit I have no statistical data to back up my assertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

lol at how nate thinks 538 exists to spread some message about trusting data and empiricism and math and poo poo

we all know the only reason why it's here today is just so liberals can watch their numbers go up

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
e: wrong thread

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tankadillo posted:

we all know the only reason why it's here today is just so liberals can watch their numbers go up

It's pretty terrible at that then, given how it gives Trump decent odds.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It's pretty terrible at that then, given how it gives Trump decent odds.

yeah funny how that's exactly when everyone suddenly realized he's not so hot anymore

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tankadillo posted:

yeah funny how that's exactly when everyone suddenly realized he's not so hot anymore

I don't think I get where you're going with this. Are you saying Nate or 538 or whatever is loving up by not just giving liberals what they want, or that liberals were only ever in favor of 538 when it was showing good numbers for the Democrats (and have turned now that it's model is less positive), or something else?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nate is more shook than a SIDS baby in a paint mixer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FMguru posted:

Nate is more shook than a SIDS baby in a paint mixer.

His coworkers on 538 are talking about it on their latest podcast. It's hilarious.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think I get where you're going with this. Are you saying Nate or 538 or whatever is loving up by not just giving liberals what they want, or that liberals were only ever in favor of 538 when it was showing good numbers for the Democrats (and have turned now that it's model is less positive), or something else?

The latter. I think Nate is pretty well-intentioned in his passion for numbers and data, but he rose to his current level of popularity because he gave his audience what they wanted. The fact that he's not doing that anymore, combined with the mediocre journalism of this year's 538, means that there's not much to cheer for.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795041766877646848

this meltdown is so delicious

edit: also

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795015340539473924

huge pile of hamburger has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Nov 6, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/788544053059153924?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

will nate silver eat a bug if he's wrong? doubtful. sam wang once again proves superior

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Think the polls are skewed on that one

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

will nate silver eat a bug if he's wrong? doubtful. sam wang once again proves superior

Nate basically can't be wrong with his model since it predicts that we don't really have that much information at all from polling. If that's the case then he'll be vindicated and basically be out of a job.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I got the Huffpo dude to retweet the Medium article while Nate was melting down at him, so there's a non-zero chance he read it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

poo poo, sorry, misinterpreted what you wrote then!

Also that HuffPo article is hot garbage and whoever wrote it should probably be smacked with the "Actually, You Are Kind Of A Stupid Blogger" nerf bat, but it's hardly irresponsible and it's hilarious how much Nate's loving melted down over it. And this is coming from someone who instinctively errs on the side of higher uncertainty in estimates. 99% is just flat out bullshit- it's basically saying that systematic polling errors like have happened a number of times in recent history are impossible because somehow sample size can correct for systemic error. It's not right. I'm pretty sure Nate's overestimating uncertainty and how correlated errors in state-by-state results are going to be, but I would much prefer people err on the side of wide error bars than narrow ones. This is p. much the same model that has worked pretty okay the last few national elections. It didn't magically start being bullshit. It just so happened that this election cycle presented a list of conditions that gives his model heartburn and causes it to throw out wide error bars. It's not Nate "unskewing polls"- that's juvenile Huffpo idiocy that's an actual example of the clickbait people accuse 538 of. Nate'll probably go back to the drawing board and change his model once his blood pressure drops back into the triple digits in December.

I dunno! Nate is a bit "funny" but I like him still. :shobon: He isn't the be all and end all of forecasting, but he never was. He's just a dude who knows some about stats who is good at communicating them to the public. That's not a skill set to be thrown out.

edit: also

This is why I get kind of baffled by the people accusing Nate of being super arrogant and insisting he's always right. He says this kind of poo poo all the time...?

I don't think you understand statistics.
That article is imprecise in some of its language, but first of all, if you are going to call Wang's 99% chance flat out bullshit, show your math, because you clearly don't get margin of errors. You may disagree with some of their assumptions, but the claim that they are saying "that systematic polling errors like have happened a number of times in recent history are impossible" is laughable.

Second, the article isn't calling for 99%. Their model and the upshot are in the 80s.

Finally, they correctly call out Nate on two things: trend line adjustment and poll adjustment. Those two things are bullshit that is being done in a proprietary model that is not open to scrutiny. Nate claiming that he does those things based on empirical evidence is something that you have to take at his word, because people can't see it. In any case, regardless of the outcome of the election, this cycle has shown that Nate's model is underconfident by default and therefore useless. Hillary has ranged from underdog to almost 90% favorite at 538 despite poll aggregates never having her trailing (RCP is an outlier aggregator because they cherry pick right leaning polls and even then they have Hillary leading virtually the entire race).

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Nov 6, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lock him up

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

eat a bug? no. catch a bug? maybe.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Did we ever find out what happened in the Michigan primary cuz that was p weird

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

androo posted:

I got the Huffpo dude to retweet the Medium article while Nate was melting down at him, so there's a non-zero chance he read it.

Beautiful.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tayter Swift posted:

Did we ever find out what happened in the Michigan primary cuz that was p weird

the podesta emails actually answered this - public polls predicted an electorate that was older and blacker than it really was. hfa actually had more accurate polling #s showing it was real close

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Credit where it's due, this is actually pretty funny.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CottonWolf posted:

This seems like the place to ask people's opinions on this:

Given 538's model is far more in line with the betting market's predictions for the probabilities of a Clinton/Trump win, and people here seem to think that Nate's model is overly conservative on Clinton, what's driving the underestimation of the Clinton winning probability in the betting markets? Motivated reasoning?

There might be some hedging going on inflating Trump's odds, i.e. "If Trump wins my life is ruined but I'll have made a couple of thousand bucks on the bet to move out of the country with."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just listened to their podcast and one of their speakers called their sandwich "a Jairo"

deleted and unsubscribed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

There might be some hedging going on inflating Trump's odds, i.e. "If Trump wins my life is ruined but I'll have made a couple of thousand bucks on the bet to move out of the country with."

And the fact that Trump is basically a walking antithesis to any polling that was against him in the primary

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

And the fact that Trump is basically a walking antithesis to any polling that was against him in the primary

trump was ahead in polling like the entire gop primary

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The problems with Nate's model have been well documented by now, but the garbage input part is underserved. Here's a Nevada poll that came out yesterday:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4lhKxf9pMitYTV0T1hDMnpDVkU/view

This thing is Trump+5 because...

quote:

Using automated voice response technology allows each participant to hear the questions exactly the same way, from the same voice, spoken with the same tone and nuance. Calls are placed to randomly-selected phone numbers through a stratified process that insures approrpiate {sic} geographic representation. These calls were placed from 6:00pm to 8:30pm local time from Tuesday, November 1st though Friday, November 4th.

Survey results undergo a weighting process to ensure the sample is comparable to the demographic breakdown of 2012 Nevada general election participants. Final results are based on these weights in order to address non-response bias. In addition, the final published ballot test is a combination of survey respondents to both a standard ballot test and a ballot test guaging {sic} where respondent's neighbors stand. This addresses the underlying bias of traditional polling, wherein respondents are not wholly truthful about their position regarding highly controversial candidates.

Yeah, they called landlines between 6 and 8:30 PM and then asked how the neighbors voted and threw the answers into the topline. Trump magically gets 24% of blacks, 37% of Hispanics and 53% of Asians.

Nate gives this poll a weight of 2.21 because we never exclude a poll and the bad ones will get averaged out by the good ones (they're not being averaged out by the good ones).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I just listened to their podcast and one of their speakers called their sandwich "a Jairo"

deleted and unsubscribed.

Yo when even fuckin Arby's gets this right this is shameful

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yo when even fuckin Arby's gets this right this is shameful

I worked at a Greek gyro place for 2 years and the only thing that got our owner more riled up then people mispronouncing gyro was a worker spending more than one minute making one...

I got a free one for dinner everyday I work today though and they were the best I ever had. A+ would work again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I worked for Greek people at both their annual huge church festival and for catering. Oh man it really made the Greek financial crisis understandable

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man, I still dream of my hometown's local Greek gyro place in Munster, IN just under the protecting eaves of Chicago.

We also have a great Lebanese gyro place in town here, in central IL of all places. I'm still not used to how they grill the meat instead of just slicing it straight onto the pita, but it's still pretty delicious and the owner is a great dude.

Really all I want is a giant mountain of gyro meat with enough feta to flavor the whole thing. I don't need the sauce or anything else. Well, black olives are okay I guess.

And if Nate Silver or one of his cronies pronounces it like the first part of "gyroscope" they are dead to me.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, I still dream of my hometown's local Greek gyro place in Munster, IN just under the protecting eaves of Chicago.

We also have a great Lebanese gyro place in town here, in central IL of all places. I'm still not used to how they grill the meat instead of just slicing it straight onto the pita, but it's still pretty delicious and the owner is a great dude.

That's schwarma dumb rear end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bip Roberts posted:

Nah, it's very definitely gyros with some shawarma-like preparation thrown in.

http://therockrestaurant.net/our-menu/

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

Nah, it's very definitely gyros with some shawarma-like preparation thrown in.

http://therockrestaurant.net/our-menu/

Oh, what's up fellow Bloomington-Normal goon?

The Rock is definitely the best around here, but Uncle Nick's is the only reason to ever go to Rockford. It's worth it to check that place out if you're ever anywhere near that shithole of a town.

http://www.seeyounextgyros.com/welcome.html

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

It's spelled shawarma dumbass.

also lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Adar posted:

The problems with Nate's model have been well documented by now, but the garbage input part is underserved. Here's a Nevada poll that came out yesterday:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4lhKxf9pMitYTV0T1hDMnpDVkU/view

This thing is Trump+5 because...

Yeah, they called landlines between 6 and 8:30 PM and then asked how the neighbors voted and threw the answers into the topline. Trump magically gets 24% of blacks, 37% of Hispanics and 53% of Asians.

Nate gives this poll a weight of 2.21 because we never exclude a poll and the bad ones will get averaged out by the good ones (they're not being averaged out by the good ones).

Nate includes google consumer surveys in his model as well. He gives Trump a 10% chance in loving Delaware because 2 google consumer surveys with samples of 74 and 107 had Hillary ahead by just single digits (and one was somehow adjusted to Trump +1). Besides the sample size, google consumer surveys are those surveys you are forced to do to see certain webpages, and they then estimate demographics from Google information.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

Oh, what's up fellow Bloomington-Normal goon?

The Rock is definitely the best around here, but Uncle Nick's is the only reason to ever go to Rockford. It's worth it to check that place out if you're ever anywhere near that shithole of a town.

http://www.seeyounextgyros.com/welcome.html
Hey neighbor! Yeah, I've been going there since it was tiny, over in its old location! Said still remembers me somehow. He's great.

Can't say I spent much time in Rockford. But if I'm up there I'll do it!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Patter Song posted:

Polling is only going to get shittier every cycle. By 2024, polls will all be "poo poo, I don't know."

Nah, by 2024, Facebook will release some kind of polling mechanism and it'll be Google Consumer Surveys but actually effective and polling will return to being fairly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

lol @ the idea of elections still existing or mattering in 2024 :smugdon:

• Locked thread