Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Hate-Senpai posted:

On the other hand, championing Spider-man and a PvP token got me 2 X-23 covers, putting her at 2/3/3. She'd be a fun addition to my IM40/Cyclops team so I'm excited to not get any more covers for her since this game hates me.

X-23 is probably going to be the 4-star used in the next PvE, so that's one more cover guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
oh also use star lord against the strange new enemies if you have any yellow covers.

Mine's level 70 and he's still useful as hell.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

for the boss fight, i think i like loki/patch/kk better than using 3* hulk. loki can take patch's enemy strike tiles that you don't match and turn them into shields, which is a huge buffer because the boss starts dealing thousands of damage just on matches otherwise. plus loki can also keep him AP starved.

i guess it fits in the marvel canon; no matter how badass a sorcerer you think you are, the god of mischief can still ruin your day

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for the boss fight, i think i like loki/patch/kk better than using 3* hulk. loki can take patch's enemy strike tiles that you don't match and turn them into shields, which is a huge buffer because the boss starts dealing thousands of damage just on matches otherwise. plus loki can also keep him AP starved.

i guess it fits in the marvel canon; no matter how badass a sorcerer you think you are, the god of mischief can still ruin your day

Thanks for this, I've been banging my head against that dick for 2 days, and this combo brought him down for literally the first time. Still took 2 tries because I got him within one turn before he got off his instakill, but second try did the trick.

And then I only got 200 points off the fucker, because god drat this is a miserable event. Saving grace is nobody seems to be playing, two or three runthroughs of the last couple nodes have netted me a top 50 score each day. Granted the victory tokens just keep giving me that 500 iso reward, but whatever.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Thanks for this, I've been banging my head against that dick for 2 days, and this combo brought him down for literally the first time. Still took 2 tries because I got him within one turn before he got off his instakill, but second try did the trick.

And then I only got 200 points off the fucker, because god drat this is a miserable event. Saving grace is nobody seems to be playing, two or three runthroughs of the last couple nodes have netted me a top 50 score each day. Granted the victory tokens just keep giving me that 500 iso reward, but whatever.

You've been banging your head against a dick for two days? :stare:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BGrifter posted:

You've been banging your head against a dick for two days? :stare:

You have no idea, every time I thought I was getting close to finishing him off, he'd pull his special move and I'd have to start all over. After a good rest, of course, no sense in my going at it exhausted. Still, credit where credit is due, took three of us to handle him.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Question regarding legendary covers:

I have been pulling on the latest legendary exclusively, I have a 2/1/1 Banner and a 0/1/0 Black Bolt. Is it best to continue trying to get covers for them, or should I start going after the classic pool?

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

It depends what other 5*s you have and if you need 4* or 5* more. The classic pool is starting to get so diluted that it will be much harder trying to cover one 5* from classics. So best way for 5s is save for quite a while and pull from latest since there's only three to get. If you still need 4* covers tho just pull from classics since it's cheaper.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

ninja alamode posted:

It depends what other 5*s you have and if you need 4* or 5* more. The classic pool is starting to get so diluted that it will be much harder trying to cover one 5* from classics. So best way for 5s is save for quite a while and pull from latest since there's only three to get. If you still need 4* covers tho just pull from classics since it's cheaper.

So far the only two are Bruce and Black Bolt. I really like Black Bolt, his passive ability make ability spam so much easier. Sounds like pulling on latest legends for black bolt and Bruce until they're gone might be in my best interest.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i've now run all three "zones" on the dr strange event and i gotta say, the maggia one is actually the worst because gently caress kingpin being on 2 of the 3 required hero nodes (2* and 4*). his black is so cheap and he's paired with two mooks who poo poo countdown tiles all over the board. come in with a rushdown team or else he'll shut you down before you get moving; I used IM40/KK/required because IM40 can get poo poo moving.

if they run this event again, i would rank the three zones, in order of easiest to hardest: ninjas, robots, mobsters. the Hand zone doesn't even have enemy heroes until like the last node with Gorgon, so every other node is just vs mooks. robots is kind of annoying because of ultron bots but if you can handle them, it's NBD. mobsters though, gently caress kingpin one hundred times over.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've now run all three "zones" on the dr strange event and i gotta say, the maggia one is actually the worst because gently caress kingpin being on 2 of the 3 required hero nodes (2* and 4*). his black is so cheap and he's paired with two mooks who poo poo countdown tiles all over the board. come in with a rushdown team or else he'll shut you down before you get moving; I used IM40/KK/required because IM40 can get poo poo moving.

if they run this event again, i would rank the three zones, in order of easiest to hardest: ninjas, robots, mobsters. the Hand zone doesn't even have enemy heroes until like the last node with Gorgon, so every other node is just vs mooks. robots is kind of annoying because of ultron bots but if you can handle them, it's NBD. mobsters though, gently caress kingpin one hundred times over.

I'm so glad I did the maggia door first and was therefore worth the least points so I didn't have to worry about grinding that poo poo as much.

Also does anyone else think it's kind of weird that there's no "end" to this event? Like, I feel like once you beat Kaecilius all three times there should be some FINAL final node unlocked, but no, it's the same boss text after you beat him the third time and Strange is like "welp better retreat until I get the other artifacts!" lovely endings are one of my pet peeves as it is, but a complete lack of an ending entirely is a new level of baffling and annoying to me.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 6, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

CidGregor posted:

I'm so glad I did the maggia door first and was therefore worth the least points so I didn't have to worry about grinding that poo poo as much.

Also does anyone else think it's kind of weird that there's no "end" to this event? Like, I feel like once you beat Kaecilius all three times there should be some FINAL final node unlocked, but no, it's the same boss text after you beat him the third time and Strange is like "welp better retreat until I get the other artifacts!" lovely endings are one of my pet peeves as it is, but a complete lack of an ending entirely is a new level of baffling and annoying to me.

Yeah, there was a lot that felt off about beating Keacilius. No big reward, fanfare, or even event points; there's not much reason to fight him at all, if you're determined to raise your score it's vastly easier and worth more to just grind out random nodes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The end boss does give a command point.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

he should give at least 3 per win if you want me to get excited for it.

Slippy G
Jul 2, 2007

oh shit
What have I missed here? I've been top 50 every day on the Dr Strange event. Cleared every door and beat the boss as they came up, but I'm still sat at 91 overall :(

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ignite Memories posted:

he should give at least 3 per win if you want me to get excited for it.

the weirdest thing is that he broke from the boss convention that's otherwise been established by galactus and ultron and civil war - there was no overall point bar that you were building towards to unlock rewards. losing didn't count for anything, and winning was just a single CP. it feels like beating him should have at least given out more tokens for whatever branch you just cleared (since each branch had its own vault).

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Slippy G posted:

What have I missed here? I've been top 50 every day on the Dr Strange event. Cleared every door and beat the boss as they came up, but I'm still sat at 91 overall :(

The people in the event are divided up into three groups for the sub events, based on which one you picked. The main event placement takes into account all three groups.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Not sure why but this event has been super easy on me.

Boss with patch, iron man and filler.

iron man yellow let patch go loving wild with strike tiles (hint even if you get 5 strike tiles in a match it deals a set amount of damage, so you want cascades, if you bring loki you want his pink) I've failed the boss once because he cascaded black.

Every single node? Ironman 3, level 70 starlord with 3 (now 4) yellow covers and champed kamla.

Every single minion skill is putting starlords yellow skill out, making skills cheaper and generating AP,
Kamala will crush the nodes on champed 3 star scaling with 1-2 greens.

Iron man champed has a red that will also R.I.P. any singular problem (kingpin anyone?)

The mindless are just giant ap pools for you.

Alternatives? Winfinite, Storm or Prof x version is fine too.

Whoever/Whoever/Loki for waves, get rid of all tiles but defense, let the mindless power it up to ludicrous levels (i had one that was 1100) then turn it into a strike tile and match like a 5 star.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Also Medusa and Agent venom are likely on the pipeline

http://puzzlespoiler.tumblr.com/

Boy do they seem kinda meh.

quote:

Medusa (Inhuman Queen)
The Resolute Queen - (PASSIVE) No matter the situation, Queen Medusa protects and leads her people with unwavering loyalty and determination. Whenever an Attack, Protect, or Strike tile is matched, if it was a friendly tile, give a burst of %NumHeal health to the team. If it was an enemy tile, gain %NumAP AP in Purple, Blue, or Green.
Entanglement - (PASSIVE) Medusa sends her hair out to grab and whip opponents. Every turn, if one does not exist, create a %NumTurns-turn Countdown tile that deals %NumDamage every turn. If this tile gets destroyed, create 2 strength %NumStrength Attack tiles.
Hair Meddle - Medusa’s hair wriggles its way through enemy defenses, causing chaos and confusion. Swaps 16 pairs of random tiles, stealing any swapped enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles, improving them by %NumBuff.
*1 cover Strike tiles stolen no improvement. 2 covers Protects also stolen. 3 covers improvement added. 4 covers Attack tiles also stolen. 5 covers Buff improves.

Venom (Agent Venom)
Military Might - Flash Thompson’s military skills help keep his alien symbiote in check…for a time. Drains 2 AP from the highest friendly AP pool and deals %NumDamage damage.
(PASSIVE) If you have at least %APThreshold AP in an AP pool, this power becomes Alien Weakness.
Alien Weakness - (PASSIVE) The Venom symbiote asserts its dominance, lashing out and fighting with Flash for control. At the start of your turn, drains 2 AP from the highest friendly AP pool, destroys %NumTiles random tiles and deals %SelfDamage damage to Venom. Destroyed tiles do not generate AP.
(PASSIVE) If all friendly AP pools are below %APThreshold, this power becomes Military Might.
Symbiotic Assault - Venom channels the power of his alien symbiote to unleash the ultimate tactical strike. Deals %NumDamage damage. If you have more than %NumAP AP in an AP pool, deal %BigDamage instead.
Take Cover - Agent Venom lets loose his arsenal and lays down cover so his allies can regroup. Deals %NumDamage damage to the enemy team and renders all of Venom’s allies Invisible for %NumTurns turn(s).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yeah especially that Venom. Punishing the player for getting lots of AP sounds like a terrible idea.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah especially that Venom. Punishing the player for getting lots of AP sounds like a terrible idea.

it might take some working around, but having guaranteed damage every round that isn't a board tile that can be removed or overwritten sounds pretty good. note that as long as you have less than a certain value in all AP colors (say it's 10) you're just getting free damage for having him on the team.

i'm curious about how his team invisibility power will work. IIRC all of the heroes who can be invisible right now either create an invisibility tile(s) or else it's just an innate thing like with BSM. i guess he could give a teammate "invisible" like a status, like you'd give stunned or whatever. i wonder if that could create some crazy infinite defense scenarios, where someone like Thing or 4* DP is invisible and then venom takes a hit big enough to trigger their defense ability; do they move to the front and then the attack whiffs, or do they just not react with their defense power, or what?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it might take some working around, but having guaranteed damage every round that isn't a board tile that can be removed or overwritten sounds pretty good. note that as long as you have less than a certain value in all AP colors (say it's 10) you're just getting free damage for having him on the team.

i'm curious about how his team invisibility power will work. IIRC all of the heroes who can be invisible right now either create an invisibility tile(s) or else it's just an innate thing like with BSM. i guess he could give a teammate "invisible" like a status, like you'd give stunned or whatever. i wonder if that could create some crazy infinite defense scenarios, where someone like Thing or 4* DP is invisible and then venom takes a hit big enough to trigger their defense ability; do they move to the front and then the attack whiffs, or do they just not react with their defense power, or what?

3DP and Thing are the interesting ones there, I think. 4DP will just do the normal thing where he shows off his bulge and makes a countdown tile - he doesn't come to the front.

if you can get IW's yellow to target him, then you have a fully invisible team. that could be cool.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Superterranean posted:

3DP and Thing are the interesting ones there, I think. 4DP will just do the normal thing where he shows off his bulge and makes a countdown tile - he doesn't come to the front.

if you can get IW's yellow to target him, then you have a fully invisible team. that could be cool.

does Maxie's power get boosted if his teammates are invisible, or only dead/stunned? if it works on invisible, then IW might actually get some use on a Agent Venom/Maxie/IW team.

edit: does team damage still hit invisible characters since it technically isn't "targeting" any specific character? if not, an all invisible team would be a great way to save health packs and an auto-skip in PVP for most players.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 7, 2016

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Freaking Crumbum posted:

does Maxie's power get boosted if his teammates are invisible, or only dead/stunned? if it works on invisible, then IW might actually get some use on a Agent Venom/Maxie/IW team.
who is maxie? punisher max? they have to be stunned or downed for him.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

edit: does team damage still hit invisible characters since it technically isn't "targeting" any specific character? if not, an all invisible team would be a great way to save health packs and an auto-skip in PVP for most players.

team damage hits invisible characters. Red Hulk tears Professor X's face off.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

so my Quicksilver is 3/1/5 and I have 2 green covers sitting here unable to use they expire in 11 days. Assuming I don't get the 4 covers I need in the next 11 days, should I spend the command points to champion Quicksilver? Or just take the 500 iso? I have no 3* champs currently. My 2*s are around level 122.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't spend CP on 3*s.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mykkel posted:

so my Quicksilver is 3/1/5 and I have 2 green covers sitting here unable to use they expire in 11 days. Assuming I don't get the 4 covers I need in the next 11 days, should I spend the command points to champion Quicksilver? Or just take the 500 iso? I have no 3* champs currently. My 2*s are around level 122.

Yeah, not worth it for that many missing covers, it's annoying to waste one but it happens. I'll occasionally do it if I'm short just one cover on a good character, but even that's rare.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A 3 star isn't worth it and especially Quicksilver. Dude looks ridiculous in that!

So I think the only chars that aren't Bag Man and 1 stars I'm missing are 5* Strange and OML, and 4* Wasp, Gwenpool, and Howard. I need those. I need them so bad.

And can someone work on my theory that the more you use 3* IM the scarcer yellow tiles become?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

A 3 star isn't worth it and especially Quicksilver. Dude looks ridiculous in that!

So I think the only chars that aren't Bag Man and 1 stars I'm missing are 5* Strange and OML, and 4* Wasp, Gwenpool, and Howard. I need those. I need them so bad.

And can someone work on my theory that the more you use 3* IM the scarcer yellow tiles become?

Makes sense.

Also valid for Scarlet Witch, whose chance of creating a Blue Tile near a Blue Tile increases exponentially with each match.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Okay, makes sense, thanks.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mykkel posted:

to clarify, you shouldn't do what you're proposing because QS is not high enough quality to give you back what it is going to cost. he's a gimmick 3* at best with his blue, and boosting him to 166+ when the rest of your roster is in the low triple digits is just going to give you some minor grief with scaling that you wouldn't have to deal with otherwise. seriously, the 1500 ISO you'll get from his 3 covers is a better value than the 80 CP it'd cost you to buy him up to 13 covers (on top of the ISO it'd then cost to max level him and champ him as well).

maybe if you had IF or SW or some other top tier 3* hero missing one cover from 13, and you had another duplicate cover in reserve, so you could spend 20 CP to champ the hero and then immediately get a legendary token out of it, then it might be worth spending CP on a 3* hero. otherwise, don't waste your CP.

BTW this gets even more infuriating when you have a 4* hero with 5 covers in one slot and then continually only get that same colored cover when you draw tokens.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hoooooly poo poo you can watch in-app commercials now for additional rewards. i guess KingDreadnaught stopped champing multiple copies of every 5* hero as soon as they're annouced and d3 had to scramble to cover the revenue gap?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

hoooooly poo poo you can watch in-app commercials now for additional rewards. i guess KingDreadnaught stopped champing multiple copies of every 5* hero as soon as they're annouced and d3 had to scramble to cover the revenue gap?

Wait what? When did that happen? I didn't see it on iOS.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

Wait what? When did that happen? I didn't see it on iOS.

New update. If you have VIP or have bought stuff recently you get all the rewards by just playing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

New update. If you have VIP or have bought stuff recently you get all the rewards by just playing.

Lol this game.

It's weird though that it doesn't prompt you when there is an update.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Finishing today's DPD and one run through DPvMPQ netted me about 200 HP and a Heroic token just from intercepts. Makes VIP such a better deal

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Retardog posted:

Finishing today's DPD and one run through DPvMPQ netted me about 200 HP and a Heroic token just from intercepts. Makes VIP such a better deal

That sounds promising.

Gonna make PvE a lot more profitable too!

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I like the idea of the SHIELD Intercept videos. They come randomly after playing a match, give you surprisingly good bonuses, and reward your time investment in the game moreso than your :10bux:. Plus, the VIP subscribers can skip the videos entirely and still get the rewards, so they get yet another bonus on top of their daily goodies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They said that the max number you can get is 20 a day with decreasing frequency as you get them. I'm curious to know how many matches you'd have to play to get all 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clash got me Ice Man Purple, making the dude 4/4/4. Any cover will max him out.

This is a first.

Might also make it to the final 15 CP on the PvE event, I already got X-23 and there's still a day and a half to go.

And 25 CP in 2 days!