Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

so would usb c cable work as thunderbolt 3 cable in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

buy a refurb 2015 macbook pro w/ applecare

lmao

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hobbesmaster posted:

do they all come with USB-c to USB-c cables?
what else would they come with? my 6p and pixel xl also included a to c cables in the box for connecting to legacy poo poo

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Encrypted posted:

so would usb c cable work as thunderbolt 3 cable in general?
lmao no

here is a usb-c to usb-c cable that only supports usb 2

here is a usb-c to usb-c cable that only supports up to usb 3.1 gen 1

here is a usb-c to usb-c cable that only supports up to usb 3.1 gen 2

here is a usb-c to usb-c cable that is only for power and doesn't transfer data at all

here is a usb-c to usb-c cable that is actually thunderbolt 3

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 6, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh good USB-c is worse than scsi

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
At the Verizon store, I was looking around when this energetic person tried to help. After some discussion I mentioned the Apple II. He looked genuinely confused and even asked his co-worker, "What is an Apple II?

Nothing.

I was astonished and went into their phone section and asked, "OK Google, what , is an apple II?"

I left.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

you forgot one usb-c to usb-c cable that is actually thunderbolt 3 20Gbps (effectively thunderbolt 2)

Perplx fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 6, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hahaha guys this 19 year old minimum wage worker doesn't know about a computer that was obsolete 15 years before he was born

what an imbecile

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ps the one (1) usb-c to usb-c cable that comes with your $4000 macbook pro only supports usb 2.0
jesus loving christ

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 6, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

omfg

i thought apple was doing a good thing with usb-c (they wrote a large part of the spec, right?) by being like, ok, gently caress, here's one standard that solves all of the problems with garbage usb fragmentation and should be good to go for the next 10-20 years

but it's even worse than i could have ever imagined. it is scsi all over again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
arguably, it's worse. back in the scsi days everyone who used computers and had to ever touch scsi knew it was a lovely compatibility nightmare. if you were wading into that mess you'd spend hours digging around to make sure everything you were trying to buy was compatible.

in the last 25 years people have become accustom to things like usb basically being foolproof plug-and-play, if it fits in the port it'll work and you don't have to worry about anything else. now apple has royally hosed the whole usb "brand" because it's possible to buy a dozen different mutually incompatible, identical looking plugs and modern consumers have no idea that's even possible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

in the last 25 years people have become accustom to things like usb basically being foolproof plug-and-play, if it fits in the port it'll work and you don't have to worry about anything else. now apple has royally hosed the whole usb "brand" because it's possible to buy a dozen different mutually incompatible, identical looking plugs and modern consumers have no idea that's even possible

is this really apple's fault, or the usb consortium

i found it impossible to defend apple using their made up "mini displayport" connector to do double duty with tbolt

i figured the usb type C thing was a path to redemption and all type Cs would have some halfway reasonable fallback but maybe not :(

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

hahaha guys this 19 year old minimum wage worker doesn't know about a computer that was obsolete 15 years before he was born

what an imbecile

He was 20, close.

I should mention that the pixel I was talking into didn't even acknowledge my voice. It was the Nexus phones around with a chorus.

Strange.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 6, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there's seriously usb 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2?

they couldn't have named it usb 3.2?

also lol at the clusterfuck that is thunderbolt 3 with usb c cables

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

apple is bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zeluth posted:

He was 20, close.

I should mention that the pixel I was talking into didn't even acknowledge my voice. It was the Nexus phones around with a chorus.

Strange.

and then everyone stood up and clapped

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

apple is bad

Have you ever played stuntcopter?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the USB-IF should be disbanded and all members tried for crimes against humanity

ufarn
May 30, 2009
believe that goes for any thunderbolt 3 cable longer than 0.5m or some dumb poo poo

not sure why it works that way

mishaq posted:

usb 3.0 is usb-a, usb 3.1 is usb-c

the problem is these dumb fucks can't figure out how to subclass it like the hdmi people managed to

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 6, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

mishaq posted:

first they came up with USB 3.0

Then they came up with USB 3.1 and renamed USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 gen 1 and added a new USB 3.1 gen 2

simple

ufarn posted:

believe that goes for any thunderbolt 3 cable longer than 0.5m or some dumb poo poo
lmao I just looked it up and yup that's the case (at least until they start selling active cables which apparently will allow up to 2 meters, or ones that convert the signal to optical which will go up to 60 meters)

I guess it's not surprising since the wavelength of a signal at 40 Ghz is less than a centimeter and you can only deal with so much latency

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 6, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

not sure why it works that way

dehumanize yourself and face to smith charts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is this really apple's fault, or the usb consortium

i found it impossible to defend apple using their made up "mini displayport" connector to do double duty with tbolt

i figured the usb type C thing was a path to redemption and all type Cs would have some halfway reasonable fallback but maybe not :(

well, it's the usb consortium's for letting it happen, but apple's for ghost writing the spec and going ahead with the implementation that allows this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

well, it's the usb consortium's for letting it happen, but apple's for ghost writing the spec and going ahead with the implementation that allows this

USB consortium probably was scared that Apple would just go their own way again like they did with firewire if they didn't allow Apple to special snowflake their products up.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

butt dickus posted:

every new phone that isn't an iphone uses usb-c. it's easier to plug a competing product into the new macs than something apple makes

they use usb-c female instead of lightning but im sure they all come with usb-a male so its equally hard

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

poty posted:

they use usb-c female instead of lightning but im sure they all come with usb-a male so its equally hard
mine all came with c chargers and a c to c cable

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

butt dickus posted:

mine all came with c chargers and a c to c cable

i dont believe u

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

are the days of connectors that crunch like they've got sand in them over?? rip

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
two things about ios10'

I use that bedtiome thing. its super inconsistent about reminding me to go to bed. also the alarm int he morning isnt smart enough to realise that if I am using my phone I dont need to be woken, and when the notification comes up touching it only makes it snooze and the only way to stop the alarm is to see the alarm from the lock screen or go into the alarm settings and turn it on then off again

also I got a text from an unkwn number but the start of the text said "hi its martin here" and so the message came through as "maybe: martin" as the name of the contact rather than just the nmu,ber

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

two things about ios10'

I use that bedtiome thing. its super inconsistent about reminding me to go to bed. also the alarm int he morning isnt smart enough to realise that if I am using my phone I dont need to be woken, and when the notification comes up touching it only makes it snooze and the only way to stop the alarm is to see the alarm from the lock screen or go into the alarm settings and turn it on then off again

also I got a text from an unkwn number but the start of the text said "hi its martin here" and so the message came through as "maybe: martin" as the name of the contact rather than just the nmu,ber

to dismiss the alarm just force touch it and a "stop" option comes up as well as snooze

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats super bullshit for a phone without force touch. do I just "hold down"?

ill try it tomoz

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

thats super bullshit for a phone without force touch. do I just "hold down"?

ill try it tomoz

I think usually it should be there when you hold it down if it is a required feature, which turning an alarm off SHOULD be, otherwise that'd be bad UX but hey who knows. force touch works p good because when your alarm goes off you get to angrily crush your phone to make it stop, which is how I accidentally discovered that feature. it just works (unless it doesn't)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I think usually it should be there when you hold it down if it is a required feature, which turning an alarm off SHOULD be, otherwise that'd be bad UX but hey who knows. force touch works p good because when your alarm goes off you get to angrily crush your phone to make it stop, which is how I accidentally discovered that feature. it just works (unless it doesn't)

...Discoverability, folks!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys, remember when apple wasn't trash for assholes and the ui worked because it was simple and immediately intuitive?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
the alarm shows 'snooze' and 'stop' when it goes off

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah 'bedtime' told me to go to bed once and never has again

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pissflaps posted:

the alarm shows 'snooze' and 'stop' when it goes off

aaaaaactually

if the phone is locked, yes, the stop option is there on the bottom of the screen. if you wake up 5 min before it goes off and pick it up and start using the phone before it goes off, it still goes off and a little notification rectangle appears at the top of the screen that doesn't have stop unless you force touch it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hey guys, remember when apple wasn't trash for assholes and the ui worked because it was simple and immediately intuitive?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:yossame:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

C.H.O.M.E posted:

aaaaaactually

if the phone is locked, yes, the stop option is there on the bottom of the screen. if you wake up 5 min before it goes off and pick it up and start using the phone before it goes off, it still goes off and a little notification rectangle appears at the top of the screen that doesn't have stop unless you force touch it.

my phone does not have the force-touchy so I can just pull down the alarm. it even has a little bar on the bottom of the alarm box to let you know about it.

yet again the SE proves to be the superior iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what is the stray 2.0 even in the cursor blink bit?

old macos was certainly not always pretty, but pretty hard to argue with the usability in an age where the closest competition were about to bring out microsoft bob 12 years later

• Locked thread