Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is aimn good, worth bookmarking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Some hot ads on that site, don't go there without an ad block.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
wait gently caress korgan is australian?

my mind is loving blown, i thought you were a bot.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'll just leave this here

Terrorgraph posted:

Rockfishing deaths: Government to enforce life jackets after record number of deaths EXCLUSIVE, Lia Harris, The Sunday Telegraph November 6, 2016 12:00am

IT’S the dangerous and deadly pastime that has claimed the lives of 17 people on a small strip of Sydney’s coast in the past decade. Now, after consistent warnings have failed to have any significant effect, the government is moving to force rock fishermen to wear life jackets under a new year-long trial at the city’s eastern beaches. The new rules, to be enforced from next month, will require anyone fishing from rocks at beaches within the Randwick Local Government Area to be wearing approved life jackets. The trial, announced by Emergency Services Minister David Elliott, will affect some of Sydney’s most dangerous beaches for rock fisherman, including Little Bay and Cape banks.

In the past decade, 17 anglers have died after being swept off rocks from Clovelly to La Perouse, making the coastline the nation’s most dangerous. None of the drowned fishermen were wearing life jackets. Rock fisherman Zheng Wang drowned after being swept into the ocean while rock fishing at Little Bay, in Malabar, in 2012, just four months after another angler Myassar Ayoub was killed while fishing on the rocks at Cape Banks, in La Perouse. The new trial will include a 12-month grace period when officers from Randwick Council, the NSW Government and Police will warn fisherman of the new rules before a $100 fine is enforced from December next year. The government will review the trial next year and consider expanding it to other coastal council areas across the state.

It comes after a NSW Coroner last year recommended the move following an inquest into the deaths of nine anglers — the third group inquest on rock fishing deaths in NSW in four years. The 2015 inquest also heard each rock fishing rescue by emergency services cost between $450,000 and $600,000. Rock fisherman Greg Stanworth said he always wore a life jacket to “safe-guard” his own life. “I think (the trial) is a good thing because I do notice some people who go fishing without them,” Mr Stanworth said. “It’s a very important thing because you do get rough waves and if you can’t get out, you’re dead. It’s a very precarious situation. “I think people also need to be educated more.”

Minister Elliott said the legislation, to be introduced to Parliament this week, would allow for other areas across the state to be included following the trial. “Rock fishing is one of Australia’s deadliest pastimes and of the 10 people who died in NSW in 2015/16, not one was wearing a life jacket,” he said. The move was the result of a working group formed earlier this year, which found Randwick to be the most high risk area for drownings. A new campaign targeting “culturally and linguistically diverse communities” will also be launched in conjunction with the legislation and improved warning signs will be installed. The Transport NSW Old4New van will visit popular rock fishing areas, including Coogee Beach, over the summer months offering discounted life jackets.
:munch:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Rock fishers in Amsterdam wouldn't put up with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Maybe they should wear helmets too

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Here we go.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The world isn't real.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd has attacked Insiders host Barrie Cassidy, challenging him over comments about Labor's record on treatment of asylum seekers and refugees.

Days after Mr Rudd ripped into Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over the government's proposed lifetime ban on resettled asylum seekers entering Australia on business or tourist visas, the former Hawke government adviser and respected commentator accused Mr Rudd of hypocrisy, because Labor had reinstated harsh offshore processing in the lead up to the 2013 election.

Mr Rudd said he had been moved to make his first significant comments on domestic Australian politics in three years, using an opinion piece for Fairfax Media to argue Mr Turnbull was doing everything he could to appease the "mad right" of the Coalition party room and that his "latest legislative folly should be opposed".

In an angry tweet on Sunday, Mr Rudd labelled Mr Cassidy a "dedicated Shortista, Gillardista" and challenged him to point out any factual errors in the 1200 word opinion piece.

lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goddamn, spot the lawyer bullshit.

It's like Mao writing a piece on how terrible Hitler and Stalin were for their death camps.

Then having someone call him out on it given how many of his own people he killed and then having a hissy fit, calling them 'filthy human rights scum' and to 'find a single factual error in his original piece'.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 6, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cartoon posted:

I'll just leave this here
:munch:

Educating people about picking the right weather conditions to go rock fishing would be better imo

If you need a PFD the conditions are not safe and you shouldn't be out there in the first place

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Gorilla Salad posted:

Goddamn, spot the lawyer bullshit.

It's like Mao writing a piece on how terrible Hitler and Stalin were for their death camps.

Then having someone call him out on it given how many of his own people he killed and then having a hissy fit, calling them 'filthy human rights scum' and to 'find a single factual error in his original piece'.

Actually Mao was good.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Educating people about picking the right weather conditions to go rock fishing would be better imo

If you need a PFD the conditions are not safe and you shouldn't be out there in the first place

Never been rock fishing, huh?

Freak waves can happen on the calmest of oceans, and black rock is slippery even on sunny days.

Always wear a PFD if you are on rocks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Never been rock fishing, huh?

Freak waves can happen on the calmest of oceans, and black rock is slippery even on sunny days.

Always wear a PFD if you are on rocks.

All the time actually

For ocean facing ledges if the forecast doesn't show an offshore wind, under 1m of swell and a run out tide I find somewhere else to fish or stay at home. Once there I sit and watch the waves for 15 minutes or so to get a feel for the conditions. I've got neoprene boots with metal stops which hold really well even on slimy rocks

Bay ledges are more forgiving but it pays to know the spot, make sure the place you're fishing doesn't get swamped by big waves and think about how you're actually going to land a fish without joining it for a swim

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just cut to the chase and extend construction site regulations across the entire country at all times as a template for people's safety.

In my dysutopian future nobody is allowed outside their place of residence unless they are wearing one piece high visibility overalls, a choice of mining or motorbike helmet, rubber solved safety boots and non-conductive gloves.
Oh and a [deployed] floatation device.

Yes this will mean you need a permit to go absolutely anywhere. Papers please citizen.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

All the time actually

For ocean facing ledges if the forecast doesn't show an offshore wind, under 1m of swell and a run out tide I find somewhere else to fish or stay at home. Once there I sit and watch the waves for 15 minutes or so to get a feel for the conditions. I've got neoprene boots with metal stops which hold really well even on slimy rocks

Bay ledges are more forgiving but it pays to know the spot, make sure the place you're fishing doesn't get swamped by big waves and think about how you're actually going to land a fish without joining it for a swim

My apologies, too used to people not knowing what the gently caress they are talking about.

Now, would you like to distill that knowledge down so that it's easy to impart on the however many different ethnic/racial/social groups that I see regularly rock fishing and then enforce it? And where exactly would you be teaching these fishers? At every single fishing spot round Australia? Or just the main ones?

Or would you rather just say "wear a loving PFD you idiot, it will save your life"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

Just cut to the chase and extend construction site regulations across the entire country at all times as a template for people's safety.

In my dysutopian future nobody is allowed outside their place of residence unless they are wearing one piece high visibility overalls, a choice of mining or motorbike helmet, rubber solved safety boots and non-conductive gloves.

Yes this will mean you need a permit to go absolutely anywhere. Papers please citizen.

Haha, yes, what next are we going to need a nanny with us at all times what about a license to punt? It's PC gone mad. We're going to hell in a handcart.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DancingShade posted:

Your orange and black hazard striped CRB-27SL was unironic I see.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

My apologies, too used to people not knowing what the gently caress they are talking about.

Now, would you like to distill that knowledge down so that it's easy to impart on the however many different ethnic/racial/social groups that I see regularly rock fishing and then enforce it? And where exactly would you be teaching these fishers? At every single fishing spot round Australia? Or just the main ones?

Or would you rather just say "wear a loving PFD you idiot, it will save your life"

Warning signs at dangerous ledges, programs targeting the most at risk groups (seems to mostly be Asians who get killed rock fishing), maybe having a test covering safety (and etiquette!) as part of the process of getting a fishing licence, or promoting PFD use without making them mandatory. In this day and age it's probably easy enough to make a phone app that takes in the weather forecast data and tells you if it's safe to fish a particular spot, as well as prompting people to look for danger signs

I'm not against people wearing PFDs if they think it's necessary, I'd just hate to be forced to wear one every time I hit up a ledge because I know I take enough precautions that it really isn't necessary (plus some of these places are a long walk in and the less gear we have to carry the better)

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 6, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Warning signs at dangerous ledges, programs targeting the most at risk groups (seems to mostly be Asians who get killed rock fishing), maybe having a test covering safety (and etiquette!) as part of the process of getting a fishing licence, or promoting PFD use without making them mandatory. In this day and age it's probably easy enough to make a phone app that takes in the weather forecast data and tells you if it's safe to fish a particular spot, as well as prompting people to look for danger signs

I'm not against people wearing PFDs if they think it's necessary, I'd just hate to be forced to wear one every time I hit up a ledge because I know I take enough precautions that it really isn't necessary (plus some of these places are a long walk in and the less gear we have to carry the better)

Admittedly I'm basing this off my knowledge of Albany and cant say anything for fishing spots over east, but there are already warning signs at dangerous locations targeting at risk groups, and PFDs are promoted. Rec fish West even gives them out for rent, free of charge. No cost if they pop either. And given you don't need a licence to go shore based fishing, and given the absolute stink kicked up by recreational fishers when you try to do anything that restricts them fishing (and even when it doesn't restrict them from fishing but they think it does) in think making licences mandatory is not going to work.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Send rock fishers to Nauru. It's the only way we can prevent deaths at sea.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think there's nothing to be done. If only these rockfishers would dress appropriately Posiedon, Lord of the Ocean wouldn't be so tempted

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
People drowning while fishing on land is darwinism at work. Let natural selection cull the weak of the herd.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey let's use our work for the dole slave army to individually wrap every coastal rock in safety foam so nobody gets an ouchie if a wave drags them into one.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I posted in here last month about trying to get an article I wrote published somewhere. Ended up getting it on the website for Young Australians in International Affairs. Here's the link if you're interested in hearing someone complain about the RBA and quantitative easing http://www.youngausint.org.au/single-post/2016/11/06/How-the-RBA-stole-Christmas

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/RossCameron4/status/795205667174772736

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

7-Eleven has been sprung short-changing workers potentially millions of dollars in back pay by changing the way compensation payouts are being calculated.

Fairfax Media can reveal that since 7-Eleven sacked a compensation panel headed by Allan Fels and replaced it with an internal system in collaboration with Deloitte, it has been using the ultra low cash rate to calculate interest on worker repayments.

Describing what he considers a "sacking," Prof Allen Fels told Leigh Sales he thinks 7-11 are trying to minimise their payout to underpaid workers, and that a culture of illegality could return to the troubled company. Vision courtesy the 7.30 Report, ABC.
One worker, Prakash Kumar, who was underpaid hundreds of thousands of dollars at a number of 7-Eleven stores has been offered a payout under the new scheme that is $100,000 less than the amount law firm Maurice Blackburn had calculated.

Documents obtained by Fairfax Media show that the discrepancies relate to a decision by the new panel to adopt a lower interest rate that is not in accordance with the standard practice of using the Federal Court Rate, which is the official cash rate plus 4 per cent.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Imagine being in a room with those three insufferable morons

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gently caress marry kill

obvious answer is kill you'reself but let's try some original answers ok

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:siren: Malcolm Turnbull bowing to pressure from the back bench :siren:

going to "consider" changing 18C

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-07/politics-live-november-7/7996664

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
That Malcolm Roberts presser was a WILD RIDE. Myyyyy goodness.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sparticle posted:

Send rock fishers to Nauru. It's the only way we can prevent deaths at sea.
This deserves some love.

I haven't read the legislation so I'm only going off commentaries and the like but 18C is the biggest tsunami in a thimble. I absolutely adore the way it selectively trolls right wing muppets and the fact it now has the full attention of parliament is totally gobsmacking. Of all the rights that have been pissed up the wall in the last twenty years this is the hill you choose to die on? ASIO can kidnap my children and hold them without representation but there is no loving way in hell that I'm going to tolerate not being able to call a loving boong a loving boong. :jerkbag:

Also I suspect that a white judge's determination of what an indigenous community considers reasonable is likely to be a loving disaster in one way or another.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cartoon posted:

Also I suspect that a white judge's determination of what an indigenous community considers reasonable is likely to be a loving disaster in one way or another.

Yeah I was wondering that, do they get a member of the affected community to act as an expert witness? Or do they just read it as 'a reasonable person' and not bother with checking whether that conflicts with the experiences of a minority?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We should be able to talk about migration without cries of racism

by Amanda Vanstone

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Synthbuttrange posted:

We should be able to talk about migration without cries of racism

by Amanda Vanstone

quote:

Remember, there's been a law against murder for a very long time and it isn't effective.

jesus christ

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
LNP just wants to talk about changing 18c to keep Leyjonhelm on side now that Bob Day is gone. What does Hinch think about it?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah I was wondering that, do they get a member of the affected community to act as an expert witness? Or do they just read it as 'a reasonable person' and not bother with checking whether that conflicts with the experiences of a minority?

I expect that all depends on the witnesses called and evidence entered into the record of the trial.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

https://theaustralianatnewscorpau.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/prior-v-queensland-university-of-technology-ors-no-2-2016-fcca-2853.pdf posted:

To determine whether those words are reasonably likely to exceed the proscription of s.18C(1)(a), it is necessary to consider the perspective of the hypothetical person in the applicant’s position or the group of which the applicant claims is reasonably likely to be offended by those words.

The judge then spends two pages going into exactly what that means, since neither side provided any input. I'd assume one of the parties could call on an expert witness but since they didn't the judge got to make it up.

Relevant to your last bit is:

quote:

The importance of the adoption of an appropriate perspective from which to consider the impugned act was emphasised by Barker J in Clarke v Nationwide News (above) at [51] – [52]:

quote:

[51] The “reasonable victim” perspective: When applying the objective test it is, however, necessary to regard the perspective of the hypothetical person or group – sometimes referred to as the “reasonable victim” – who might possibly be offended by an act of the type complained of.

[52] The adoption of such a perspective is important because, if the Court were not to do so there would be a real risk that the standards of some other, different person or group would be adopted without any sensitivity to cultural differences between groups in the community. This point is well made in human rights literature…

iajanus posted:

quote:

Remember, there's been a law against murder for a very long time and it isn't effective.
jesus christ

He did say a very long time.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

starkebn posted:

LNP just wants to talk about changing 18c to keep Leyjonhelm on side now that Bob Day is gone. What does Hinch think about it?

Maybe we should tell Hinch that removing 18c opens the door for paedophiles to run rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...022-gs8hk5.html

So what happens when we have no agriculture left? Manufacutring is gone and Agriculture is becoming an export market, does that mean that food in the store becomes a strange method of Australia importing from itself?

• Locked thread