Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

speakhard posted:

That's not really true.
The studio-mandated thing was bringing Worf over to DS9.
Huh, guess I need to get around to buying that book.

Andoor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Daavd Cam'Eron Amplexed A Dead Sehlat

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Good lord the end of "Gambit" is dumb. Everyone is able to instantly not think angry thoughts in the middle of a tense situation. Picard might as well have told them to stop thinking about elephants.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

Good lord the end of "Gambit" is dumb. Everyone is able to instantly not think angry thoughts in the middle of a tense situation. Picard might as well have told them to stop thinking about elephants.

If someone told me to not think about elephants, all I could think about would be elephants

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ghostbusters has a much better version of that. You can't not think, so you get a huge murderous marshmallow man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought it was more about the underlying emotions than just the surface thoughts, the whole thing about the weapon was it became useless when the Vulcans embraced logic philosophy and got control of themselves. The away team defeated it by going zen and finding their happy place, which considering all the freaky emotion-eating noncorporeal entities and poo poo that ships named Enterprise run across, they probably actually trained for.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Perfect Roddenboring TNG people wouldn't have had any trouble with that episode of TOS where a freaky space skull teleports them to the Old West

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Have seen Doctor Strange a couple of times now, and the similarities between the main theme and the JJ Abrams movies is striking.

Both themes were composed by Michael Giacchino, so I suppose there should be done commonality, but it's really obvious and takes me out of the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As a huge Marvel movie fan I kept getting taken out by how nakedly they were trying to do "Iron Man, but if went to wizard school."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Don't want to start a derail, but scared to go into BSS: Does the movie mean they're finally going to do affordable color collections of the 60s Strange stuff like they have for the more well- known characters? I have one of those big newsprint books, and I know the black-and-white isn't doing justice to the :ditkodrugs:.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MrJacobs posted:

What happened to the Ewoks?

I'm just imagining Borg-ified Ewok and its p cool

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm just imagining Borg-ified Ewok and its p cool

Yub-yub is futile.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GlenMR posted:

Have seen Doctor Strange a couple of times now, and the similarities between the main theme and the JJ Abrams movies is striking.

Both themes were composed by Michael Giacchino, so I suppose there should be done commonality, but it's really obvious and takes me out of the movie.

Can't be any worse than James Horner using the same music in nearly every movie he scored.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GlenMR posted:

It really is the exact same theme it's loving ridiculous. And Dr Strange sucks rear end

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

After The War posted:

Don't want to start a derail, but scared to go into BSS: Does the movie mean they're finally going to do affordable color collections of the 60s Strange stuff like they have for the more well- known characters? I have one of those big newsprint books, and I know the black-and-white isn't doing justice to the :ditkodrugs:.

I don't have it, but everyone seems to love the omnibus they put out a couple months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/0785199241

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I almost never register the score of a movie, I think I am just not musically inclined, and while I know I am missing out on something, the complaints that a comic book movie is too much like [good thing] seem silly to me. I can remember the music from Star Wars and Jurassic Park and all that, and I know I enjoy good music in a movie while I'm watching it, but it's usually a vaguely remembered dream if at all.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

And Dr Strange sucks rear end

You either had a very much better or very much worse theatre experience than I did.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fister Roboto posted:

It depends what you mean about 'thinking about elephants.' I can see the word "elephant" and know what it means without instantly visualizing a big gray creature pissed off about ivory poachers. Admittedly if I had to not think about elephants, lest I get shot in the balls with a Cardassian phaser, I'd probably just try to think about cichlids real hard instead. Maybe then I'd get eaten by a giant Oscar.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fister Roboto posted:

Roddenberry as gently caress

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GlenMR posted:

Ripping off other movies' music is an incredibly common thing, and it often happens because temp tracks end up getting so ingrained into the director's mind while editing that a composer is literally paid to do a sound-alike for the film.

They probably temped Doctor Strange with the reboot Trek theme.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Roddenberry as gently caress

He'd been dead for almost two years at that point, so it was clearly his horny ghost's doing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fister Roboto posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kazinsal posted:

Ripping off other movies' music is an incredibly common thing, and it often happens because temp tracks end up getting so ingrained into the director's mind while editing that a composer is literally paid to do a sound-alike for the film.

Heck, Nick Meyer didn't have the money to license his preferred recording of The Planets, so he hired Cliff Eidelman to basically rip it off for Star Trek VI.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gambit in general is pretty bad. I dunno what there was about it that needed to be a two-parter either. It's probably the worst of those in TNG, or tied with Descent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I never minded Gambit too much. It's far better than Time's Arrow and Birthright.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I was unprepared for how heavy this Star Trek encyclopedia is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why do people not like Time's Arrow? Can they not hear the sounds Twain is making?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Why do people not like Time's Arrow? Can they not hear the sounds Twain is making?

Shame on you, thread, shame.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I'd be willing to say that most TNG two-part episodes aren't all that good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

King Hong Kong posted:

That's a much different claim than "time's arrow sucks"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

King Hong Kong posted:

It's usually that they have no idea how to stick the landing. The only Part IIs that are even remotely close to good are, like, Redemption, some of Best of Both Worlds, All Good Things... and Chain of Command.

Phimosissy posted:

That's a much different claim than "time's arrow sucks"

It does suck.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

It does suck.

Long AND hard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

It does suck.

Nah, you must just hate fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like time's arrow but there's no denying it sucks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but then they genocide those time traveling alien dicks at the end and just walk away! Twain woulda loved it!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The snake-cane thing always freaked me out as a kid. The aliens chilling in a cave with mouths in their foreheads is weird, too, but that snake really caused me a few restless nights growing up :ohdear:

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Going back to film scores, my buddy and I were music majors in college and we went to see that awful Troy movie with Brad Pitt. One of the themes was taken note-for-note from a major theme in Shostakovich's fifth symphony. We both recognized it right away and laughed our asses off the rest of the movie at how shameless it was. Everyone else there with us was not so amused.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best worst part of Time's Arrow is when Mark Twain action-hero dives his way into the future and the Enterprise crew just kinda roll with it and let him wander around squawking at all the future tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm imagining a meeting of the officers we didn't see where they agree to tell the enlisted that Twain is an errant but benign holodeck program loose on the ship to save face. "Just humor him and eventually he'll disappear."