Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I just like that their mission statement is to prevent people from loving with time, but every solution they have had so far has basically directly hosed with time anyway. They never actually try to undo damage. Time traveler infects the Confederate army with zombie plague? Help General Grant defeat a zombie horde! Also free a bunch of slaves and let a plantation burn as a result of a separate zombie attack. Also, they just flat out never recovered the pilot from the craft right? Just left him and whatever future poo poo he had on his person just chill with the confederates he eventually infected? Or did I miss where they found him?

this is why Doctor Who mostly fucks around with other planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus generally any time Caity Lotz tries to act it's offensive.

I've tried to tell people this and they never would believe me because she's good at stunt stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I've tried to tell people this and they never would believe me because she's good at stunt stuff.

She's good at being pretty which is what sways a lot of people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

X-O posted:

She was in that movie Machine and the role was perfect for her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I just like that their mission statement is to prevent people from loving with time, but every solution they have had so far has basically directly hosed with time anyway. They never actually try to undo damage. Time traveler infects the Confederate army with zombie plague? Help General Grant defeat a zombie horde! Also free a bunch of slaves and let a plantation burn as a result of a separate zombie attack. Also, they just flat out never recovered the pilot from the craft right? Just left him and whatever future poo poo he had on his person just chill with the confederates he eventually infected? Or did I miss where they found him?

I assume he was turned into a zombie then murdered but no I can't remember the show saying poo poo.

At least Timeless(another bad time travel show) shows the changes they do to the timeline, even if it's just a few sentences at the end of the episode, because they gently caress up constantly too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure you can take a show whose theme is "time-traveling fuckups who do the best they can" and complain that their time-travelers are being fuckups.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Was the Legends episode really that offensive?

I mean it was rather simple, and definitely needed more time dedicated to the topic to be properly effective, but it's not like they tried to portray the Confederates as good guys or anything like that. They showed that the Confederates really were horrible (no states rights crap), and Jax sympathised with and rescued a bunch of slaves. What was so egregious about it specifically?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ToastyPotato posted:

My main problem with Legends is that they haven't yet gone after the Universe's greatest time-fuckery monster, Barry Allen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Daphnaie posted:

Was the Legends episode really that offensive?

I mean it was rather simple, and definitely needed more time dedicated to the topic to be properly effective, but it's not like they tried to portray the Confederates as good guys or anything like that. They showed that the Confederates really were horrible (no states rights crap), and Jax sympathised with and rescued a bunch of slaves. What was so egregious about it specifically?

It was exploitative

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure you can take a show whose theme is "time-traveling fuckups who do the best they can" and complain that their time-travelers are being fuckups.

I think the issue is less the characters feel like fuckups and more like the writers do

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to say Christopher Chance is now my favorite character. I had no idea the DC Universe has Gene Parmesan.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

greatn posted:

I have to say Christopher Chance is now my favorite character. I had no idea the DC Universe has Gene Parmesan.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Surprising no one, Elektra and The Hand are confirmed for Defenders.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/07/defenders-daredevil-elektra-return-elodie-yung

I'm going to guess that Weaver is playing a Rule 63 version of Ken Wind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't say rule 63.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Young Justice Season 3 confirmed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh. I guess I have no excuse to not catch up on that show now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bruceski posted:

Because Time Squad was the only show to do it right and every other type of those shows can never reach the bar it set :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Is this the right thread for this? Because gently caress yeaaaaah Young Justice season 3

http://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-young-justice-is-coming-back-1788676249

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm gonna stay whelmed on this one, but I'm curious if they'll try to dial back some of the stuff or just keep it rolling.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's an animation thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784240

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jack Kirby is rolling in his grave.

http://www.cbr.com/supergirls-guard...BR-TW&view=list

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's better than Diggle's costume.

Actually, that's exactly what Dig's Spartan costume should've been.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I don't plan on ever watching Supergirl but how is this guy anything other than less interesting Captain America? I actually like the costume, but I looked up the classic character and wow.

Also lol this is supposed to be Jimmy Olsen? That's character's had it rough when it comes to faithful portrayals. I never watched Smallville but reading about Jimmy Olsen in it was hilarious. Jimmy Olsen if killed in the finale only for it to be revealed that's he's Henry James "Jimmy" Olsen and his younger brother James Bartholomew Olsen is the REAL Jimmy Olsen. Both are portrayed by the same actor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

And of course who can forget Jimmy "CIA Agent who gets mercilessly executed" Olsen from BvS?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last week's episode had Dig get a new Spartan helmet that was actually a helmet and not just a weird thing that only covered the front of his head.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If the mask continued over the eyes I feel like it would basically be Crossbones. That is not a good thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rough Lobster posted:

I don't plan on ever watching Supergirl but how is this guy anything other than less interesting Captain America? I actually like the costume, but I looked up the classic character and wow.

If I helped create Captain America, I don't think I'd get over it either. Jack couldn't go into a store with Marvel toys because he couldn't handle seeing the profit being made off his creations. He also couldn't drive because he would day dream about stuff only Jack Kirby could imagine.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So yeah, that Cloak and Dagger show that was supposedly in the works got delayed until Winter 2018, but they picked up one of the people who worked on Daredevil as its showrunner.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I guess we know why the Inhumans movie didn't happen. Marvel TV is doing a TV series next year instead (on ABC).

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906

But I am quite confused, because I could have sworn Marvel Studios just mentioned recently that the movie was still happening at a later, unannounced date.

Ok, in the interview I saw, Feige mentions that he thought it may be happening on TV, but that maybe in the future it could be a movie as well. Once again, the weird disconnect between Marvel TV and Studios makes itself pretty apparent. Did he really not know that the Inhumans were in development for a TV series earlier this month? This is the guy that runs the MCU basically. I dunno, it's weird to me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 15, 2016

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess we know why the Inhumans movie didn't happen. Marvel TV is doing a TV series next year instead (on ABC).

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906

But I am quite confused, because I could have sworn Marvel Studios just mentioned recently that the movie was still happening at a later, unannounced date.

Ok, in the interview I saw, Feige mentions that he thought it may be happening on TV, but that maybe in the future it could be a movie as well. Once again, the weird disconnect between Marvel TV and Studios makes itself pretty apparent. Did he really not know that the Inhumans were in development for a TV series earlier this month? This is the guy that runs the MCU basically. I dunno, it's weird to me.

Well, they're airing the first two episodes in IMAX theatres, so that kinda counts as a movie right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think it is kind of funny that the best way they can think to get people to watch this show is to try to trick people into seeing it in a theater. Kind of indicates where SHIELD is sitting within the company considering they don't seem to need stunts like this to get people to watch the Netflix shows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The tv people seem to hate the movie people, they are always retweeting #itsnotallconnected

Like, ok, Mr Gregg, you don't get movie cameos anymore, but you are lead on a five season long show in syndication, that's not nothing. You're like an older much less hot David Boreanaz, that's a great place to be!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

The tv people seem to hate the movie people, they are always retweeting #itsnotallconnected

Like, ok, Mr Gregg, you don't get movie cameos anymore, but you are lead on a five season long show in syndication, that's not nothing. You're like an older much less hot David Boreanaz, that's a great place to be!

Hahaha, who from the TV side is tweeting that Hashtag?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hahaha, who from the TV side is tweeting that Hashtag?

Definitely Clark Gregg and I think I saw it from Chloe Bennett once.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

To empathize with them, they are basically the public faces for a show that marketed itself as being part of the MCU. And I am sure that when they signed up for the jobs, they also believed that they were working on an actual MCU project. So I can understand being salty as gently caress that back office drama is basically costing you potentially big opportunities and now you have fans constantly asking you why you aren't in any of the movies, to which you have no good answer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

He knew and slipped and was trying to cover his rear end.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I think it is kind of funny that the best way they can think to get people to watch this show is to try to trick people into seeing it in a theater. Kind of indicates where SHIELD is sitting within the company considering they don't seem to need stunts like this to get people to watch the Netflix shows.

It's not merely premiering in IMAX. It's being shot in IMAX and IMAX is footing a large portion of the budget, which will apparently be much higher than the likes of SHIELD.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/1...=1314552&page=2

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So they will blow the budget on the first two episodes to trick people into watching a show that will eventually have the same budget per episode of a normal tv show by the end of the season (or the second season if it gets one)?

I am willing to be cautiously optimistic here. Maybe this is them realizing why SHIELD was kind of a dud (relative to their other stuff, not TV in general) and trying to fix that. Maybe they are gambling on a show with higher production values to draw viewers in and help the show pay for itself and strengthen the brand on network TV legitimately. It kind of sucks thought because they could have been doing that with Ghost Rider already and it would have cost them less, but whatever.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So they will blow the budget on the first two episodes to trick people into watching a show that will eventually have the same budget per episode of a normal tv show by the end of the season (or the second season if it gets one)?

I am willing to be cautiously optimistic here. Maybe this is them realizing why SHIELD was kind of a dud (relative to their other stuff, not TV in general) and trying to fix that. Maybe they are gambling on a show with higher production values to draw viewers in and help the show pay for itself and strengthen the brand on network TV legitimately. It kind of sucks thought because they could have been doing that with Ghost Rider already and it would have cost them less, but whatever.

No, you misread. IMAX is financially participating in the entire series.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

It's not merely premiering in IMAX. It's being shot in IMAX and IMAX is footing a large portion of the budget, which will apparently be much higher than the likes of SHIELD.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/1...=1314552&page=2

Oh wow. IMAX Cameras are loving expensive. Last time I checked only like 28 of them existed in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm guessing the Imax stuff will be a bunch of history and Hala stuff, then the show all takes place after they settle on Earth and can reuse the same 2 sets over and over