Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Paladinus posted:

They are movies for literal and mental babies. Enjoying them betrays your stunted development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
You're all terrible. Except those who aren't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paladinus posted:

They are movies for literal and mental babies. Enjoying them betrays your stunted development.

I don't get it, they're perfect for you then! :confused:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jonas Albrecht posted:

His complaint was that it wasn't schlocky. Which was super dumb.

Well, the eastern european man delivering a tearful speech about how a magician blew up his family or whatever was also dumb.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
He's also delivering the speech to the king of an African country with alien technology who wears a panther superhero suit and it's delivered 100% seriously with no levity.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am perfectly fine with the idea of superhero movies. We've been doing superheroes for as long as fiction has existed. From Hercules to Thor, man

I just wish it was a lil more interesting

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Here's my hot take: when did we start saying 'hot take' and what does that mean???

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FrensaGeran posted:

Here's my hot take: when did we start saying 'hot take' and what does that mean???

It's the new I AM A HUGE PRICK

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A 'Hot Take' represents an opinion that is incredibly controversial and the intention of introducing it to the conversation is to imply that the author of the "take" does not care how many people become gravely offended by the opinion.

Now naturally Goons have a large predilection for sarcasm and thus the lines of appropriate usage have been blurred considerably for the purpose of "humor" (a topic too complicated to get into here).

:goonsay:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

reignofevil posted:

A 'Hot Take' represents an opinion that is incredibly controversial and the intention of introducing it to the conversation is to imply that the author of the "take" does not care how many people become gravely offended by the opinion.

Now naturally Goons have a large predilection for sarcasm and thus the lines of appropriate usage have been blurred considerably for the purpose of "humor" (a topic too complicated to get into here).

:goonsay:

Thank you professor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are thinking assembly line produced super-hero movies being bland made-for-children cash cows that aren't good or interesting a hot take? My friends kids are interested in them, and some of my more nerdy friends who were big into comics as children and never really outgrew those franchises like them. But even then it's like a guilty pleasure and they fully admit they're absolute garbage you just "shut your brain off" to enjoy seeing costumed mans punch each other while the best effects money can buy overload every scene to the point of numbness.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I want to hot take Jack's fat pack of sausage

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Baronjutter posted:

Are thinking assembly line produced super-hero movies being bland made-for-children cash cows that aren't good or interesting a hot take? My friends kids are interested in them, and some of my more nerdy friends who were big into comics as children and never really outgrew those franchises like them. But even then it's like a guilty pleasure and they fully admit they're absolute garbage you just "shut your brain off" to enjoy seeing costumed mans punch each other while the best effects money can buy overload every scene to the point of numbness.

There are no guilty pleasures. People posture about their taste.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Superheroes need to lose the silly outfits, is my hotto (hot motto)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If a superhero movie has a larger thematic purpose and it also is an interesting movie that isn't too unrealistic it is okay to like it.

I like The Dark Knight. That's about it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Meh. I need all of my movies to be about the inevitability of death and the ultimately grotesque nature of our lives here on this hetero Earth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

reignofevil posted:

If a superhero movie has a larger thematic purpose and it also is an interesting movie that isn't too unrealistic it is okay to like it.

Thank you, lord of opinions Reignofevil, for telling others when it is and isn't okay to like something. Where would we be without you besides in a better RLM thread that didn't suck rear end

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Meh. I need all of my movies to be about the inevitability of death and the ultimately grotesque nature of our lives here on this hetero Earth.

Then may I recommend Todd Solondz?

Or is even that not negative enough?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Thank you, lord of opinions Reignofevil, for telling others when it is and isn't okay to like something. Where would we be without you besides in a better RLM thread that didn't suck rear end

You are welcome.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Then may I recommend Todd Solondz?

Or is even that not negative enough?

Never heard of him but will check him out thank you for your cotinuated support&patronage.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

reignofevil posted:

Or, you know, if it's fun and escapist and doesn't need to dwell on serious stuff which is why I go to them. Sure movies can be art and/or serious, 'deep', thematic, etc...but they don't have to be all the goddamn time. Some of us like to go to movies to simply enjoy the unreality.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm just glad Marvel didn't challenge my western sensibilities by casting Asian actors for a movie set predominantly in Asia.

Except for tubby comic relief Asian. Haha, so fat, so funny.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The hottest of all takes is actually admitting you enjoyed a movie. What kind of a loving idiot would have such a dumb babby feeling as that?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

gently caress MOVIES

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've just watched a film where an elderly Iranian man struggles to eat plums for two hours and just goes to sleep exhausted in the end. This is what a real movie is like.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I only watch movies that took 12+ years to make.

Like Space Cop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Or, you know, if it's fun and escapist and doesn't need to dwell on serious stuff which is why I go to them. Sure movies can be art and/or serious, 'deep', thematic, etc...but they don't have to be all the goddamn time. Some of us like to go to movies to simply enjoy the unreality.

Sure, everybody watches movies for fun. That being said, superhero movies are so retarded and mind numbing there is absolutely no fun to be had there.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Paladinus posted:

I've just watched a film where an elderly Iranian man struggles to eat plums for two hours and just goes to sleep exhausted in the end. This is what a real movie is like.

only if it was in black and white

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Schweinhund posted:

only if it was in black and white

It was black and neon green.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dont dont about stuff you dont like. Do you know lessons of life?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Sure, everybody watches movies for fun. That being said, superhero movies are so retarded and mind numbing there is absolutely no fun to be had there.

I disagree

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"I cannot find any fun in an action-packed, comedic superhero movie. The fault is obviously with the movie and not my miserable self."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

FrensaGeran posted:

I'm just glad Marvel didn't challenge my western sensibilities by casting Asian actors for a movie set predominantly in Asia.

Except for tubby comic relief Asian. Haha, so fat, so funny.

I only saw the movie because Tilda Swindon was in it sooo..... I mean I get it?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

"I cannot find any fun in an action-packed, comedic superhero movie. The fault is obviously with the movie and not my miserable self."
Pssst...fun can feel shallow and empty thus unsatisfying.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure fun feels very shallow, empty, and unsatisfying for many people in this thread. Its reflected in their posting.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

temple posted:

Pssst...fun can feel shallow and empty thus unsatisfying.

have you considered self-harm? v exhilarating

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

makes me feel ALIVE

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you can't enjoy a brilliant but arrogant white man overcoming his reluctance and complacency to punch a bad guy with magic for the tenth time in a row I just feel sorry for you. It's either this or Iranians eating plums, forever.

Choose wisely.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Molothecat posted:

have you considered self-harm? v exhilarating

People say that Marvel movies are "fun" must be children or morons. The only thing that can make me feel anything anymore is having dangerous sex with strange men without telling anyone where I'm going or who I'm meeting. That's what it take for me to feel alive, because I'm an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

People say that Marvel movies are "fun" must be children or morons. The only thing that can make me feel anything anymore is having dangerous sex with strange men without telling anyone where I'm going or who I'm meeting. That's what it take for me to feel alive, because I'm an adult.
You won't come back in the sequel if you catch AIIDDDS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6xg8M789ig

temple fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 7, 2016

• Locked thread