Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Panzram and Tommy Lynn Sells are really interesting because they actually talked openly about what drove them to kill and what they thought was wrong with them. Like they knew they were hosed up and once caught wanted to understand why. Kuklinski was sort of like that too, but I think he was way more full of poo poo in his interviews than Sells or Panzram.

Edmund Kemper has a lot of self-awareness, as well (for a serial killer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's cause Kemper is a genius with a broken brain. And for those not familiar with him, by broken I mean he hosed the mouth of his mother's severed head. So pretty broken.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's cause Kemper is a genius with a broken brain. And for those not familiar with him, by broken I mean he hosed the mouth of his mother's severed head. So pretty broken.

Yeah, turns out berating your child constantly and forcing him to stay in the basement breeds some resentment.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://kreepykatsmurdermysteryblog.wordpress.com/
New Zealand girl goes to the scenes of old terrible crimes. I've been really digging it lately, lots of information and photos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

https://kreepykatsmurdermysteryblog.wordpress.com/
New Zealand girl goes to the scenes of old terrible crimes. I've been really digging it lately, lots of information and photos.

Looks like a great setup either for a low-budget network tv show or a late-90s horror film.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Jack Gladney posted:

Looks like a great setup either for a low-budget network tv show or a late-90s horror film.

Early 90s, but close.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

A reminder that the found footage movie The Last Broadcast is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGyaII4wVY

It's fun.

:spooky:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Henker posted:

Can you imagine watching your boyfriend get murdered and then a serial killer locks you up in a shipping container for two months, not knowing if each day is going to be your last? That woman is going to need a lot of therapy.
Don't forget that she was probably getting raped/beaten/tortured/whatever daily, too. God that story is horrifying.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

p sure this is the shipping container

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Panzram and Tommy Lynn Sells are really interesting because they actually talked openly about what drove them to kill and what they thought was wrong with them. Like they knew they were hosed up and once caught wanted to understand why.

Charles Whitman was the same way, and quite a tragic case.

quote:

I imagine it appears that I brutally killed both of my loved ones. I was only trying to do a quick thorough job [...] If my life insurance policy is valid please pay off my debts [...] donate the rest anonymously to a mental health foundation. Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type

He also requested an autopsy be done on his brain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Panzram and Tommy Lynn Sells are really interesting because they actually talked openly about what drove them to kill and what they thought was wrong with them. Like they knew they were hosed up and once caught wanted to understand why.

Charles Whitman was the same way, and quite a tragic case.

quote:

I imagine it appears that I brutally killed both of my loved ones. I was only trying to do a quick thorough job [...] If my life insurance policy is valid please pay off my debts [...] donate the rest anonymously to a mental health foundation. Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type

He also requested an autopsy be done on his brain.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Whitman was only 25 when he died, so its very possible he was suffering from the onset of schizophrenia, but who knows. He said in his letters that he'd been having "irrational thoughts", so he may have been hearing voices. He wasn't a raving lunatic, so if he'd been caught alive he probably could have given us some insight into what exactly was going on in his head.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Shipping Container Guy had his pilot's license and real estate connections all over the place. Police in the state are going to be very busy.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Basebf555 posted:

Whitman was only 25 when he died, so its very possible he was suffering from the onset of schizophrenia, but who knows. He said in his letters that he'd been having "irrational thoughts", so he may have been hearing voices. He wasn't a raving lunatic, so if he'd been caught alive he probably could have given us some insight into what exactly was going on in his head.

I thought the consensus was brain tumour? Mind you, kind hard to diagnose from a cadaver

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A brain tumor was found during Whitman's autopsy.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Here's a bit of a break from all the rape and mass murder. I'm reading the excellent marine disasters thread, and someone mentioned this longform from the Atlantic on the wreck of the Estonia:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

I realized I'd read it before (I think in this thread) so I instead clicked on the writer's name to see what else he'd written. It seems he's a pilot, and several of his other pieces for the Atlantic deal with aviation disasters. This one was really good:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/11/the-crash-of-egyptair-990/302332/

"Two years afterward the U.S. and Egyptian governments are still quarreling over the cause—a clash that grows out of cultural division, not factual uncertainty. A look at the flight data from a pilot's perspective, with the help of simulations of the accident, points to what the Egyptians must already know: the crash was caused not by any mechanical failure but by a pilot's intentional act."

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

big trivia FAIL posted:

p sure this is the shipping container

That's a house or a barn. Look at the scale of the vehicles and houses nearby.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Shipping containers are 8' wide and either 20' or 40' long.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Got a nice little road and everything leading to that murder rape dungeon. It's like what serial killers dream of retiring to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A cool thing to think about is, for however many of these killers get caught there are many more still operating unknown.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know there's gonna be a day when some mild mannered old man passes away and in his safety deposit box is a map leading to the graves of like 300 missing persons.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know there's gonna be a day when some mild mannered old man passes away and in his safety deposit box is a map leading to the graves of like 300 missing persons.

I sometimes wonder if there are other people acting with the fore thought Israel Keyes had before he snapped and killed that poor girl locally to him. Scary to think about.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

A reminder that the found footage movie The Last Broadcast is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGyaII4wVY

It's fun.

:spooky:

Proclick. Thanks for posting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you liked Last Broadcast you might like this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbGv9r9jn5U

There's also a thread in CineD about Found Footage movies with some good recommendations if you like the genre: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792655

I love ff movies.

MacheteZombie has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Nov 8, 2016

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Regarding the "shipping container guy," Kohlhepp: I live in Spartanburg, the county that all happened in. I remember the (previously) unsolved bike shop murders in '03, and all of this is pretty goddamn creepy. He looks familiar, even though I'm not sure whether I'd seen him before or not. I don't really have anything to add--I've actually learned more about the case from this thread, so you guys are already more informed on it than I am.

Edit: Or, well, not that all of it happened in, since some of it was in another state, but you know what I meant.

Edit 2:

Khazar-khum posted:

Shipping Container Guy had his pilot's license and real estate connections all over the place. Police in the state are going to be very busy.

They most certainly seem to be, if the news coverage is any indication.

Edit 3 and 4 (sorry): Has this come up? There's also this, for a touch more content to my post. The local Fuddrucker's comes up, which is kinda amusing. Silver linings and poo poo. Also, he plans to represent himself, apparently.

Surely there's stuff around about the '03 murders, too, but I don't really want to go digging for them, even though I know it'd be easy.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Nov 10, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

whiteyfats posted:

Yeah, turns out berating your child constantly and forcing him to stay in the basement breeds some resentment.

I had to do a :stonk: double take when reading about him when I got to the part about him removing his mother's vocal cords and tossing them in the garbage disposal, because he hated her voice

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

You might be thinking of Dennis Nilsen.

Lol nice juxtaposition of imagery, Daily Mirror

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I had to do a :stonk: double take when reading about him when I got to the part about him removing his mother's vocal cords and tossing them in the garbage disposal, because he hated her voice

He also buried some of the severed heads facing up in the garden because his mom "always liked people looking up to her." I wouldn't say he's my "favorite" serial killer, but he's the one I find the most interesting. And Sells is the one I find the most terrifying. The fact that they openly talk about it and weren't doing it for attention so seemingly don't fabricate things to embellish is probably a big reason why I find their stories so unnerving.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sarcopenia posted:

I posted earlier about Jacob Wetterling's killer and body being found, but I just want to recommend a great podcast I just finished. It's about the incompetence of the entire investigation and has great interviews with the cops who hosed up, the falsely accused, the witnesses and the victims that where screwed over by the terrible investigation.

http://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark
It's called "In The Dark" and the last episode hit yesterday. Really well done.

This was posted a while back, although seems relevant with the current MurderChat, but it is a grippingly horrifying listen. So many lives ripped apart in one small area because the police couldn't catch a cold.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

He also buried some of the severed heads facing up in the garden because his mom "always liked people looking up to her." I wouldn't say he's my "favorite" serial killer, but he's the one I find the most interesting. And Sells is the one I find the most terrifying. The fact that they openly talk about it and weren't doing it for attention so seemingly don't fabricate things to embellish is probably a big reason why I find their stories so unnerving.

Former FB profiler John Douglas says in one of his books it's hard not to like Kemper. He goes on to say that doesn't mean he thinks Kemper should be released, and in his more lucid moments, Kemper knows he shouldn't be, either.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

IIRC Kemper also tweaks his interpretations of his stories based on his audience? I'm not able to find it at the moment but I swear there's evidence that during one of his testimonies someone interrupted him and he said "wait I haven't gotten to the good part/punchline"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

turntabler posted:

I sometimes wonder if there are other people acting with the fore thought Israel Keyes had before he snapped and killed that poor girl locally to him. Scary to think about.

See also BTK (Dennis Rader), who would have done just fine if he hadn't decided to taunt the police.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Friendly reminder he ate cereal in one of his victims's house and left the bowl there because he's a "cereal killer" ayyyy :downsgun:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arsenic Lupin posted:

See also BTK (Dennis Rader), who would have done just fine if he hadn't decided to taunt the police.

Technically, it wasn't even his taunting. He straight up just asked them if they could trace a floppy disk, and they said no, so he sent one and got caught.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

WickedHate posted:

Technically, it wasn't even his taunting. He straight up just asked them if they could trace a floppy disk, and they said no, so he sent one and got caught.

Which is still loving hilarious. "Can you trace me by floppy disk? No lying!" "uh yeah no we definitely couldn't do that" "lol ok here you go"
eat poo poo Rader, you dumb dickhead

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

coronatae posted:

Friendly reminder he ate cereal in one of his victims's house and left the bowl there because he's a "cereal killer" ayyyy :downsgun:

I always knew geop was a murderer.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MissEchelon posted:

Which is still loving hilarious. "Can you trace me by floppy disk? No lying!" "uh yeah no we definitely couldn't do that" "lol ok here you go"
eat poo poo Rader, you dumb dickhead

"You know if you're an undercover cop you have to tell me, right?"

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Is there a good write-up anywhere about the satanic connections with Comet Pizza in DC? I've hung out there a bunch so it's interesting to me, but all I can find is 4chan/Reddit gobblygook.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Is there a good write-up anywhere about the satanic connections with Comet Pizza in DC? I've hung out there a bunch so it's interesting to me, but all I can find is 4chan/Reddit gobblygook.

If you can derive meaning from schizophrenic ramblings theres a whole twitter for that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TheAlphaChaser posted:

i don't think any satanic connections are actually a thing. Basically ever.

But, i did find this.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/food/blog/20840980/alt-right-conspiracy-theorists-obsess-over-comet-ping-pong

e:
jfc
Good job america, these people won.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Nov 13, 2016