Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's kind of remarkable Firestar didn't get relegated to the occasional fanservice cameo ala Japanese Spider-Man. Someone at Marvel really loved Amazing Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

It's kind of remarkable Firestar didn't get relegated to the occasional fanservice cameo ala Japanese Spider-Man. Someone at Marvel really loved Amazing Friends.

At the time of the creation of New Warriors they didn't really have all that many teen heroes other than the New Mutants. And even Firestar was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Firestar sucks in case anyone was unaware.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bendis had the Amazing Friends thing going with Bobby and Johnny at the time, so I think that's the reason he chose Firestar for Liz.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Bendis had the Amazing Friends thing going with Bobby and Johnny at the time, so I think that's the reason he chose Firestar for Liz.

Liz Firestar is even worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only if you read non-Spidey Ultimate stuff, and that's your own fault.

In Spidey she just disappears forever.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The arc where Liz becoming Firestar had the scene where Kong revealed he knew Parker was Spider Man for pretty much the whole time, and that scene owned.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
just came from Dr.strange.

great climax

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would not be surprised if Infinity War isn't the most expensive movie ever made or something else like that. Thing is, people love these characters, and will go just to see them hanging out.

Something that did bother me about Doctor Strange is how much the music sounds like Star Trek, I mean it's the same coposer, but it's like Aliens and Wrath of Khan, same composer and the music sounds really similar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Race Realists posted:

just came from Dr.strange.

great climax

You or the movie?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rhyno posted:

Firestar sucks in case anyone was unaware.

Sure but her origin story is one of the most amazing Emma Frost stories ever! She blows up a horse because Emma loving Frost takes gas-lighting seriously.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Something that did bother me about Doctor Strange is how much the music sounds like Star Trek, I mean it's the same coposer, but it's like Aliens and Wrath of Khan, same composer and the music sounds really similar.

Has the Every Frame a Painting bit on Marvel music been linked in this thread yet? Some interesting stuff about temp music.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate posted:

Jason Aaron had her in Amazing X-Men. There was an Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends issue written by someone else.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I also just saw Doctor Strange and I liked it quite a bit. I agree with the people that say that it doesn't do anything new, but it does it well and with style so it gets extra points.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lobok posted:

You or the movie?

Exactly what I questioned too after reading that post. We're in the gutter!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Saw a funny tweet, the gist of which was :

I love this story. Powerful arrogant man knocked down. Becomes more powerful, still arrogant.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Retro Futurist posted:

If they want to focus on team ups and such I think it'd be more likely to have Blade in Dr.Strange 2 or something along those lines.

Well, then we just need the Marvel equivalent of The Alchemist and I can have my live action "Order of the Triad" spin-off.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Whenever I read Dr. Strange he will always sound like Dr. Orpheus in my head.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ub posted:

Has the Every Frame a Painting bit on Marvel music been linked in this thread yet? Some interesting stuff about temp music.

This is kind of an ongoing trend with a lot of movies, though, isn't it? Really iconic driving themes seem to be out of favor, even though people still know and recognize classic stuff like Star Wars James Bond etc

Same thing with games. Generically "cinematic" audio filler in lieu of anything with a personality. It's so bad that when Wonder Woman's weird Amazon screeching choir jungle music kicked in during Batman VS Superman I was like "OH poo poo"

edit: sheeeit they said it in the video too

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is kind of an ongoing trend with a lot of movies, though, isn't it? Really iconic driving themes seem to be out of favor, even though people still know and recognize classic stuff like Star Wars James Bond etc

Same thing with games. Generically "cinematic" audio filler in lieu of anything with a personality. It's so bad that when Wonder Woman's weird Amazon screeching choir jungle music kicked in during Batman VS Superman I was like "OH poo poo"

edit: sheeeit they said it in the video too

I think the Marvel movies often have good themes (Avengers, Iron Man 1, Iron Man Three, Ant Man are all fun), it's just outside of that they're a bit dull.

Also not mentioning Star-Spangled Man With a Plan was a bit of an oversight.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ub posted:

There was a good response to that, which gets into how it's not really a question of originality at all, and more that Zimmer/post-Zimmer cinematic music is about sound instead of melody (and thus 'unhummable').

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 7, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I genuinely didn't cotton onto that. For some reason my first thought was the poor guy in Justin Hammer's defective Iron Man knock-off armour from IM2.

That's how I saw it. Strange's story makes more sense if his origin had been stewing since 2010 instead of five months ago.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Firestar only exists because they couldn't get Human Torch for the cartoon, right? Or did she exist before that?

Aphrodite posted:

Cap is an enormous rear end in a top hat in Civil War.

Still no.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah she was created for the cartoon because the Human Torch's rights were tied up for decades (also why he wasn't in the original Fantastic Four cartoon) and she was worked back into the comics later via New Mutants and a hilariously tragic origin which involved Emma Frost burning her horses alive to force her into a co-dependent state

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gavok posted:

That's how I saw it. Strange's story makes more sense if his origin had been stewing since 2010 instead of five months ago.

It also makes sense when you consider he was already on Hydra's radar by the time Cap 2 happened. Although I guess you could argue that he was valuable even before he learned magic.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Marvel has some good themes and musical cues, the problem is that outside of Elfman's Avengers theme none of them ever get reused.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Little Mac posted:

Marvel has some good themes and musical cues, the problem is that outside of Elfman's Avengers theme none of them ever get reused.

Silvestri did the Avengers theme, not Elfman.

ELfman's AoU score is incredibly forgettable I think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Silvestri did the Avengers theme, not Elfman.

ELfman's AoU score is incredibly forgettable I think.

Elfman's Age of Ultron soundtrack was the first one that tried to really integrate the distinct themes of the individual heroes. You get variations on Brian Tyler's Iron Man and Thor cues and even a bit of Silvestri's Cap March towards the end. And, of course, Elfman's Avengers theme acts as kind of an evolution or extrapolation of Silvestri's original Avengers theme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I would not be surprised if Infinity War isn't the most expensive movie ever made or something else like that.

I heard a rumour that the combined budget for both movies could potentially approach $1 billion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you include marketting it absolutely will.

Phylodox posted:

Elfman's Age of Ultron soundtrack was the first one that tried to really integrate the distinct themes of the individual heroes. You get variations on Brian Tyler's Iron Man and Thor cues and even a bit of Silvestri's Cap March towards the end. And, of course, Elfman's Avengers theme acts as kind of an evolution or extrapolation of Silvestri's original Avengers theme.

I liked that aspect but I thought it didn't bring much new to the table. I think the Harry Potter films (and :nolan:'s Batmen) did a better job of building on previous films while adding in new stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've watched all these movies, most of them multiple times, and I can't remember a single bit of music that wasn't AC/DC or the Star Spangled Man With The Plan song.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Avengers theme is pretty noticeable IMO.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Deadpool 2 starts filming in January 2017... but still has no director.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Argue posted:

It also makes sense when you consider he was already on Hydra's radar by the time Cap 2 happened. Although I guess you could argue that he was valuable even before he learned magic.

Yeah, I like that the movie showed that v Strange was a good guy who did save a lot of people and loved it. He was just kind of a dick about how good he was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Argue posted:

I thought the movie took place after Avengers, but before the other phase 2 films. There is a mention of an officer whos spine was twisted by experimented armor, which is the Hammer one from IM2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The beginning has to be years before the end.

He's in recovery for a long time, then it skips most of his training.

I would think Winter Soldier is while he's showing his big promise as a sorcerer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Other Comic News Tidbits from today / the weekend:

- Dr. Strange had an $85 million opening weekend. About $15 million higher than projected.
- Universal is making a live-action Voltron movie written by David Hayter for an early 2018 release.
- The Sandman Movie (that is totally getting made this time, we swear!) just had the writer quit.
- The Aquaman solo movie started Pre-Production this week.
- Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Star Wars: Rogue One) will do the score for Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Doctor Strange is in Thor: Ragnarok. No word on how big a role it is, but sources say it is an extended cameo.
- "American Psycho" Author Bret Easton Ellis says he had dinner with WB executives who complained about problems with the upcoming Batman solo movie's script. Take with a grain of salt since it is second hand.

quote:

And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I just realized The gloves are what fix his hands .

The real reason he was wearing gloves is probably so they don't have to do the hand makeup all the time.

The funny thing about the Sandman writer news is that he reportedly told the studio that it totally wasn't going to work as a movie and they really should be looking more towards a cable TV series. So even Hollywood screenwriters aren't immune to the "just make it an HBO series" bug.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the movie took place after Avengers, but before the other phase 2 films. There is a mention of an officer whos spine was twisted by experimented armor, which is the Hammer one from IM2.

I thought that was a reference to Rhodey's accident in Civil War?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

WHOOPS posted:

I thought that was a reference to Rhodey's accident in Civil War?

There's an shot of New York in the beginning of the movie that clearly shows Avengers Tower, which suggests that the movie begins somewhere between Avengers 1 and AoU. By the time Civil War roles around, it isn't Avengers Tower anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The timeline wouldn't really work if the end of Civil War is mentioned before Strange's car crash. He has to heal, then go through all of the various treatments, then go to Kamar Taj and only then does he start his training. We don't know how long his training lasts but it'd be very short if we assume everything from the car crash onward takes place only since Rhodey's injury, especially with Thor 3 right around the corner. And his training isn't just a matter of memorizing some spells, there's martial arts training involved as well.

Edit: Christine says something about him being gone, but I forget if she says anything specific about months or years.

• Locked thread