Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maron > 18 > Bulma > Chi Chi > the one we all forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Rutibex posted:

So, the official canon is the manga (not the anime), up until Dragonball Super where the official canon switches to the anime? :psyduck:

The idea of an official canon is completely hosed now. I think we are in for years of debates about what version of events is canon. It'll be anime vs manga vs movies vs nothing. It's gonna be fun!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If it's not in the manga, then it is in "questionable alternate timeline canon", which is where all of the movies and GT are.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Xenoverse is the only canon now

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Anything that fits is what I consider canon. (Headcanon?)

Stuff like Bardock.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Agoat posted:

Anything that fits is what I consider canon. (Headcanon?)

Stuff like Bardock.

Technically there are mangas of him and Gine, so...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just blame time travel creating too many timelines and leave it at that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Canon was never a thing that especially mattered with Dragon Ball. The different versions of the story all influence each other anyways, even back when the manga was first being published.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The only canon we need is the one where Broly is canon

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Special beam canon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Raxivace posted:

Canon was never a thing that especially mattered with Dragon Ball. The different versions of the story all influence each other anyways, even back when the manga was first being published.

People only use canon to shut up dumb stuff like GT and Broly fans. And the one person that liked the Garlic Jr. Saga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Canon" is useful insomuch as there are some things that happen in filler which make non-filler stuff less sensible and it helps explain why, but beyond that nobody working on DB cares more about canon than fun.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Special beam canon.

Thread title, please.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rudoku posted:

People only use canon to shut up dumb stuff like GT and Broly fans. And the one person that liked the Garlic Jr. Saga.

The Garlic Jr. Saga could've been cool if you changed basically everything about it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

sassassin posted:

Special beam canon.

This guy gets it.

Toriyama had zero interest trying to connect to GT, or anything else. And I approve this message.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The best thing to happen to Dragon Ball canon is when like halfway through the Jaco manga, which at the time was assumed to be its own standalone thing, the Briefs family showed up with like 6 year old Bulma and everyone lost their minds about it secretly being a Dragon Ball prequel that even ended up being directly about Goku's arrival on earth

Thank you Jaco for being great

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How many people watching Super do you suppose even know the Jaco manga exists?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Jaco really is the best. I wish we could get some more content either on tv or print about his cool space cop adventures.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kelp Plankton posted:

The best thing to happen to Dragon Ball canon is when like halfway through the Jaco manga, which at the time was assumed to be its own standalone thing, the Briefs family showed up with like 6 year old Bulma and everyone lost their minds about it secretly being a Dragon Ball prequel that even ended up being directly about Goku's arrival on earth

Thank you Jaco for being great

I think it was the last chapter that confirmed this was a Dragon Ball prequel, and Toriyama even joked about plugging Dragon Ball right at the end.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Xenoverse is the only canon now

Put it this way; I would NOT be surprised to have the Supreme Kai of Time actually showing up in Super to fix this mess and/or lambast Zamasu for the Time Rings nonsense. Or she's appointed/born specifically because of this mess right at the end.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The only thing I care about is if Goku and Piccolo driving cars is canon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

The only thing I care about is if Goku and Piccolo driving cars is canon.

It is the only canon thing in the entire Dragon Ball Extended Tourniverse

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Bloodly posted:

Put it this way; I would NOT be surprised to have the Supreme Kai of Time actually showing up in Super to fix this mess and/or lambast Zamasu for the Time Rings nonsense. Or she's appointed/born specifically because of this mess right at the end.

If you look closely at Xeno Trunks' clothes, you can see that he has Future Trunks' sweater on underneath.

In short, yes, your OC is canon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

How many people watching Super do you suppose even know the Jaco manga exists?

if you care enough to search out and watch fan subs (until crunchyroll picked it up, but still), you probably care enough to have read jaco's bizarre adventures

especially since he's in the movies and people probably went "ok but who" and looked it up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pyroi posted:

If you look closely at Xeno Trunks' clothes, you can see that he has Future Trunks' sweater on underneath.

In short, yes, your OC is canon.

if anything XV2 establishes everything is canon in some timeline or another

Interestingly Turles and Slug are explicitly from "different histories" but no one is surprised when Cooler shows up, so I guess the implication is Cooler really always existed even if the movies with him in it couldn't have happened in the ""main timeline""

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

if anything XV2 establishes everything is canon in some timeline or another

Interestingly Turles and Slug are explicitly from "different histories" but no one is surprised when Cooler shows up, so I guess the implication is Cooler really always existed even if the movies with him in it couldn't have happened in the ""main timeline""

Cooler exists somewhere in the world he's just varying levels of not giving a poo poo about his family

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

at this point, I can't imagine anyone is ever surprised to see a freeza

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One big thing that points to him being canon is the fact that Toriyama himself designed Cooler and Final Form Cooler.

He's just not as strong as Freezer, so he doesn't get involved in as much poo poo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tarble is canon because Bulma mentions him in Battle of the Gods which is canon.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Canon:

Jaco manga -> DB manga -> Dragonball Z Kai + Goku and Piccolo drive cars + Krillin throws a rock at Goku's head -> Son Goku And Friends Return -> Vegeta goes to a theme park -> Battle of Gods -> Revival of F -> Cross Universe Tournament Saga -> Goku Black/Zamasu Saga -> Xenoverse 1 -> Dragonball heroes/Xenoverse 2 simultaneously -> Dragonball Online -> Dragonball Fusions -> excessive time travel ruins spacetime and causes Dragonball GT

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Kelp Plankton posted:

-> excessive time travel ruins spacetime and causes Dragonball GT

good punchline

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What makes it so Cooler's first appearance can't be canon? I'm not arguing, just wondering. I kinda thought he just shows up one day, gets dunked on, done. Doesn't seem hard to fit in.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spiderdrake posted:

What makes it so Cooler's first appearance can't be canon? I'm not arguing, just wondering. I kinda thought he just shows up one day, gets dunked on, done. Doesn't seem hard to fit in.

I think it takes place pre-Trunks/Frieza fight while also having Goku on Earth which is an impossible point in time according to normal events

Xenoverse 2 just being like "the movies are other timelines" makes pretty much everything avoid that problem though

PS the time egg that Tokitoki lays that contains a new timeline is where Super comes from, its all canonical

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

At what point in time was Goku around but not able to go Super on command, while Gohan still had a tail?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Last episode I watched was the one where Freeza kills Vegeta. I'd forgotten that this dub (Funimation) was the with the weird line where Vegeta finds religion on his deathbed and remarks that, "If there really is a God, He must be good to let me live long enough to see this."

It also has Vegeta explaining that he was only evil because Freeza said he'd kill his father if Vegeta didn't do everything he said, which I think is a bit hard to square with how he'd acted in all his scenes up to that point. What does he say in that scene in the Japanese version?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If I remember correctly, he tells Kakarotto to take his Saiyan pride and kill Freeza as revenge for what he did to the Saiyans. At no point does Vegeta show regret for his actions, nor does he put an excuse for them, he's a bloodthirsty monster to his last moment, just one that happens to be on the heroes' side for the time being.

Goku also has his first moment of Saiyan pride then and there.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Loved the episode. Vegeta taking the hit for his son was pretty great.

God I hope that Pilaf does some shenanigans with the dragonballs, Vegeto has to stay around for a while longer, there's some hijinks with both familys, the new tournament starts but there's some hubub about forbidden godly fusions and time fuckery going on, Zeno is upset he can't pal around with Goku but gets palmed off to Mr. Satan or something, Beerus sweats a little more about all this going down in his universe and Bulma sasses another god.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 8, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

At what point in time was Goku around but not able to go Super on command, while Gohan still had a tail?
I didn't even notice these details

Probably because I haven't watched the movie proper in a decade

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zeno-sama is going to be very upset that his friend is now half Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VanSandman posted:

The Garlic Jr. Saga could've been cool if you changed basically everything about it.

Maron is great.

Yamcha beats up Piccolo.

Everyone gets to beat up Gohan, knowing how much of a failure he'd be.

Garlick Jr. saga is good apart from Kami and Popo's magical journey fighting evil ghosts. And the last fight drags a bit.

• Locked thread