Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

siggy2021 posted:

How would you guys handle a follower in 5th ed? I'm thinking about giving one of my players (the fighter) the opportunity to have an NPC be their squire, but I'm not sure how to do it mechanically. I know the player would love the idea of having a character swear themselves to him, but I'm not sure he would love having to run 2 characters in combat and I'm not sure I want him to, either. I also don't know that I want it to be mechanically useless.

The DMG had very little insight on this.

Mechanically, give the fighter an additional basic attack each round and have them "occupy" 2 adjacent squares / spaces / notional 5'x5' sections of the theater of the mind.

Narratively, they can now do 2-person jobs "alone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I've been invited to play in a game a coworker is going to run, based off of this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YAsusqM9k9AjxlD3mEw2GCTWlB07c6x6F0UsLEOjWHM/edit

Which he has grandiosely called "The world’s first Massively Multiplayer D&D Campaign."

This is obviously too stupid and beautiful of an impossible trainwreck to not participate in. On the upside, all player options currently printed are available. Gnolls for days! On the downside, material components. This seems likely to become Semantics: The Wrangling as soon as spellcasters get involved. I'm tentatively planning on going in with a Goliath Monk for maximum no-gear-needing during the initial deprivation stage. Haven't had a look at Volo's yet though so I don't know what in there might be more "fun" for naked face punching.

Anyways, hit me with your best stupid idiots to die at level 1 attempting to build a lovely stockade on a magical murder island.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think it is warlock o clock, if you can get them to explain why a decent pair of boots costs less than a bra.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah that equipment list is basically "no woman has ever or will ever touch this"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

habituallyred posted:

I think it is warlock o clock, if you can get them to explain why a decent pair of boots costs less than a bra.

If I'm going to be extremely charitable ... he may be thinking of the original "In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords" tournament module for 1E, where clever players could earn points by converting their clothes to tools or weapons, such as using a bra as an improvised sling.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

Yeah that equipment list is basically "no woman has ever or will ever touch this"

Agreedo, but I suspect the response to bringing it up would be 'but the guys have to pay for pants too haha' :sigh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah it sounds like "Everyone is completely naked except women can spend their entire point allowance to get a tank top and a loincloth"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

I've been invited to play in a game a coworker is going to run, based off of this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YAsusqM9k9AjxlD3mEw2GCTWlB07c6x6F0UsLEOjWHM/edit

Which he has grandiosely called "The world’s first Massively Multiplayer D&D Campaign."

This is obviously too stupid and beautiful of an impossible trainwreck to not participate in. On the upside, all player options currently printed are available. Gnolls for days! On the downside, material components. This seems likely to become Semantics: The Wrangling as soon as spellcasters get involved. I'm tentatively planning on going in with a Goliath Monk for maximum no-gear-needing during the initial deprivation stage. Haven't had a look at Volo's yet though so I don't know what in there might be more "fun" for naked face punching.

Anyways, hit me with your best stupid idiots to die at level 1 attempting to build a lovely stockade on a magical murder island.

So are you naked unless stated otherwise? All of this meticulously detailed point-buy equipment is clothing (and lol why is there a bra surcharge? Is there a penalty for not wearing one?) and yet there doesn't seem to be any reason not to run around naked other than how weird and gross it will probably get. Wizards are basically banned (lol no spellbook, the addition of components, and long rests being a loving week).

This seems like an exercise in removing classes and class features from the game entirely, since some of them will basically be inaccessible for the life of your character.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm willing to bet that the guy says you don't have to wear a bra, but then applies disadvantage to all your physical movement robes because them boobs just flop everywhere.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Selachian posted:

If I'm going to be extremely charitable ... he may be thinking of the original "In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords" tournament module for 1E, where clever players could earn points by converting their clothes to tools or weapons, such as using a bra as an improvised sling.

I could see using a bra made out of waterproof material for a lot of survival stuff like carrying water, small fish traps, patching shelters and the like. But I don't think linen would do the trick and I could see a lot of the same stuff being done with boots. Not to mention how much easier it would be to walk around a cluttered beach or rocky cliffs with boots.

The part of the equipment list that has stuff like "a sizable rock" and "a left shoe without a sole" makes me doubt that they are going to be reasonable about anything.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/barbarian-primal-paths

New UA stuff every Monday now. Will Jeremy Crawford helping make it better or worse?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Why would anyone play in that game instead of playing minecraft or rust or something?
The premise seems so insanely far removed from everything about D&D that I can't really conceive how this is going down.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Network42 posted:

The premise seems so insanely far removed from everything about D&D that I can't really conceive how this is going down.

In flames.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
that concept seems really susceptible to brute force through new characters. oh what's that, each guy starts with just a few scraps? ok I suicide 20 straight characters worth of stuff

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
To 5e's credit, these are exactly the kinds of lovely stupid games people tried to run for years and were frustrated they couldn't do in 4e. So it did bring back something from classic D&D - terrible bad DM power trip adventures.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

mastershakeman posted:

that concept seems really susceptible to brute force through new characters. oh what's that, each guy starts with just a few scraps? ok I suicide 20 straight characters worth of stuff

I take cover behind the pile of dead Bards!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

This is pretty much the deal. I think it has the potential to be a really amazing garbage fire. And maybe fun?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ixjuvin posted:

This is pretty much the deal. I think it has the potential to be a really amazing garbage fire. And maybe fun?

yeah loving with that dm would be pretty enjoyable. can anyone get in on this?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ixjuvin posted:

On the upside, all player options currently printed are available. Gnolls for days!

Gnolls are not playable by official sources. They get a lot of attention in volo's but not player stats on the grounds that they are all really evil and kill pretty much everyone thats not them or worships their Demon Lord God. (And they simply know if something worships Yeenoghu or not through a feeling of kinship.)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gnolls are not playable by official sources. They get a lot of attention in volo's but not player stats on the grounds that they are all really evil and kill pretty much everyone thats not them or worships their Demon Lord God. (And they simply know if something worships Yeenoghu or not through a feeling of kinship.)

Gnolls get such a bum rap for being the only race of dnd dogs. Why can't these cool hyenas get love?
edit: we already crossed the furry bridge with dragonborn and those weird wolverine and sabertooth people, why not go all in

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If I can, I always play as a Kenku. Bird people for life yo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ominous Jazz posted:

Gnolls get such a bum rap for being the only race of dnd dogs. Why can't these cool hyenas get love?
edit: we already crossed the furry bridge with dragonborn and those weird wolverine and sabertooth people, why not go all in

Hyena's are actually more closely related to cats then dogs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

404notfound posted:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/barbarian-primal-paths

New UA stuff every Monday now. Will Jeremy Crawford helping make it better or worse?

These actually look really fun.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ixjuvin posted:

I don't know if you have ever played Cataclysm DDA, but you might want to give it a try before this game. You can choose to start as a character with nothing but a towel, during a zombie+everything else apocalypse. This could give you a few ideas as to how much of a pain it would be to try and survive with nothing.

Compare and contrast with the D&D career mod classes. I think the sorcerer is the last remaining career with alcohol powered "bionics." All of them start with most of the stuff you need to survive, but no easy way to repair or recharge some of that stuff.

As far as playing a D&D survivalist campaign goes my preference would be starting with the party failing to stop some evil plot in a dungeon. The party makes it out with beat up equipment in a strange land. Do you keep your stuff in its original form in case you are attacked? Or do you salvage it before it breaks to help you with survival and crafting challenges?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Except for the pointless stays up while dying one.

At level 3, you can let your CASTER FRIENDS get you up at no cost.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Sea option in the Storm Herald path is so much better than either of the other two that you'd have to be mad not to take it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah. On the one hand the other two do damage in an aoe, but so little damage while the other one scales better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiteski posted:

Except for the pointless stays up while dying one.

At level 3, you can let your CASTER FRIENDS get you up at no cost.

I think that one is pretty cool. You can't die in battle pretty much for that last trait. As Death Saving throws can't kill you at least until the end of the Rage. So only massive damage can take you down. It's also free to raise you so you don't have to fear death as much.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think that one is pretty cool. You can't die in battle pretty much for that last trait. As Death Saving throws can't kill you at least until the end of the Rage. So only massive damage can take you down. It's also free to raise you so you don't have to fear death as much.

It depends if you consider that they can still receive healing to come back to life after the 3rd failed saving throw or not.

Also, despite it being a kind of cool feature, it's at level 14, so in all official content you'll have it for only one level before it finishes.
The first feature would be much better if it didn't rely on other healers, I'd like the entire premise of the subclass if it was replaced with something like "Once per long rest you can choose to critically succeed on a death saving throw." or something else that works in a vacuum.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Ominous Jazz posted:

Didn't Kobolds start out as dogpeople?

Dragonborn have always been confusing to me. Why not take the Lizardfolk, with the option of getting more dragon-y later?

Doresh fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 8, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Doresh posted:

Sort of, but I think they always had scales though.

Hutaakans (BECMI, but specifically the Hollow World version) are the best D&D dog people.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Doresh posted:

Dragonborn have always been confusing to me. Why not take the Lizardfolk, with the option of getting more dragon-y later?

I know that Kobolds are dog-like a lot in anime, but I don't know what came first.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

I know that Kobolds are dog-like a lot in anime, but I don't know what came first.

The switch from dog to draconic kobolds in D&D occurred in 3e. The mythical creature is dog-related.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

The switch from dog to draconic kobolds in D&D occurred in 3e. The mythical creature is dog-related.

I thought the mythological kobolds were germanic house-spirits. They manifested as fire, "stripes in the air" , household objects (candles are a common one), toddler sized humans (or "dwarfs"), and sometimes as animals. I guess that could include dogs, but the ones I remember are black (or wet) cats, hens, martens, and snakes. They were like brownies or whatever, where they're linked to your house and help you if you keep them happy or cause trouble if you don't.

Later on they were the mine-spirits too. Like knockermen in English folklore, miners would "hear them" mining and tinkering deep underground, and they'd cause cave-ins or trick you into taking useless ore or whatever. Unless you kept them happy or prayed for protection from them or whatever.

Also Goethe linked them to the element of Earth in Faust, along with salamanders for fire etc.

e: If there's a mythological or folklore basis for kobolds as "small dog-headed humanoids" I haven't seen it, but I'd love to!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 8, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

AlphaDog posted:

I thought the mythological kobolds were germanic house-spirits. They manifested as fire, "stripes in the air" , household objects (candles are a common one), toddler sized humans (or "dwarfs"), and sometimes as animals. I guess that could include dogs, but the ones I remember are black (or wet) cats, hens, martens, and snakes. They were like brownies or whatever, where they're linked to your house and help you if you keep them happy or cause trouble if you don't.

Later on they were the mine-spirits too. Like knockermen in English folklore, miners would "hear them" mining and tinkering deep underground, and they'd cause cave-ins or trick you into taking useless ore or whatever. Unless you kept them happy or prayed for protection from them or whatever.

Also Goethe linked them to the element of Earth in Faust, along with salamanders for fire etc.

e: If there's a mythological or folklore basis for kobolds as "small dog-headed humanoids" I haven't seen it, but I'd love to!

Exactly. Goethe probably linked them to Earth because the typical Kobold is rather gnome-ish. One could also relate them to the Irish Leprechaun, which is typically also just called "Kobold" in Germany.

Whatever the exact definition, it is weird seeing them as reptilian Goblin-alternatives in D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Nah, my bad for confusing the original mythology with its treatment since then. Still, like Doresh said, D&D's draconic kobolds are a very very different take on them. WoW's miners with an obsession for candles are closer, which is weird considering how odd WoW is with stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Doresh posted:

Exactly. Goethe probably linked them to Earth because the typical Kobold is rather gnome-ish. One could also relate them to the Irish Leprechaun, which is typically also just called "Kobold" in Germany.

Whatever the exact definition, it is weird seeing them as reptilian Goblin-alternatives in D&D.

Kobolds in folklore basically are goblin alternatives. It's the reptilian or dog-like thing that's weird.

To be clear, I'm not objecting to D&D kobolds. I liked them in older versions as sneakier goblins, and I like the new dragon worshipping versions too.

e: You can easily tie the dragon worshipping kobolds back into the folklore if you want. Use the mine-spirit aspects of the myths and have them defending an ancient dragon's egg or hoard or whatever by leading miners (and adventurers) astray and tricking them to death down there in the dark.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 9, 2016

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

AlphaDog posted:

e: You can easily tie the dragon worshipping kobolds back into the folklore if you want. Use the mine-spirit aspects of the myths and have them defending an ancient dragon's egg or hoard or whatever by leading miners (and adventurers) astray and tricking them to death down there in the dark.

Just for the sake of rules, Kobolds should be updated to the list of core races as the small draconic race to balance out Dragonborn. Fluff-wise, you could say something like they use their small size to navigate tight tunnels underground. Or that one of the big dragon gods made them to be similar to Dragonborn, but made them smaller because they didn't feel like wasting resources.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Doresh posted:

The game is called dungeons and dragons not dungeons and lizardfolk. Throwing around almost dragons is way more easy to tie into plot and lore and general fantasy things than liz biz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kuroyama posted:

Just for the sake of rules, Kobolds should be updated to the list of core races as the small draconic race to balance out Dragonborn. Fluff-wise, you could say something like they use their small size to navigate tight tunnels underground. Or that one of the big dragon gods made them to be similar to Dragonborn, but made them smaller because they didn't feel like wasting resources.

They have been promoted to playable as of Volo's guide. They mine and stuff. Fluff wise they are cousins to Dragons. Being pretty much what apes are to us. With the exceptions that Dragons are much bigger, smarter and much more powerful. So Kobolds tend to revere them as Demigods and serve them.

Also just because it's funny the Kobold Soundboard from D&D Online http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/