Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hey hun what's for dinner tonight?

"Whey protein powder"

nah but you can eat whatever you want for dinner and then take like two scoops o´ whey after gym/before bed or whatever. That way you don't have to eat like 500 kilos of beans to get your protein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

beans are fun though

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

"hey how can i add meat onto my body, but i dont wanna eat any meat"

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Tiny Lowtax posted:

"Whey protein powder"

"One liter of pinto beans"

Same protein content, you do you.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm going to the gym tonight.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Keg posted:

Same every MWFSa.

I need to figure out how to fit in 2 hours of cardio. I only got in around 50 minutes last week.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Keg posted:

I went to the gym tonight. Reminds me of why I don't go at night.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cheeseburger Gainz

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Khorne posted:

I need to figure out how to fit in 2 hours of cardio. I only got in around 50 minutes last year

Fixed for me

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Is doing heavy deadlifts every week really worth it? Every guy I know who has hosed up their back at the gym has done it doing deadlifts.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Is doing heavy deadlifts every week really worth it? Every guy I know who has hosed up their back at the gym has done it doing deadlifts.

the answer lies in your username

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

nothing matters

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
says the guy who can pull over 600

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
For dinner after the gym I made a salad out of rice and beans and refried beans.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fallows posted:

says the guy who can pull over 600

above was my insight after I hit the pull I was hoping for in a meet 6 years (gently caress I'm old) back

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

one day i hope i can understand that then

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm having a beer and some chips with garlic cheese spread

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Finished my beer. Gonna go to bed.

Night, swole thread

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

just like with any exercise, do it properly and you won't hurt yourself. There's lot of videos on YouTube talking about the do's and don't's of the all powerful deadlift.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
had a solid deadlift today for the first time in the while. breaking through plateaus. wow.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I did cardio. Not a weight was lifted.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will break my bench PR.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My back is still feeling better but I didn't squat today. I did do pendlay rows though but it was only 100 lbs and everything felt alright. also hit 150 on bench for a 5x5 which is technically a volume pr for me. yes that's lbs. arms weak. so what.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My back is still feeling better but I didn't squat today. I did do pendlay rows though but it was only 100 lbs and everything felt alright. also hit 150 on bench for a 5x5 which is technically a volume pr for me. yes that's lbs. arms weak. so what.

Good :)

Also, just wondering, are you ensuring that your stomach is suitably braced before commencing the lift, and do you do any separate core work (planks, ab whee, etc)?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Good :)

Also, just wondering, are you ensuring that your stomach is suitably braced before commencing the lift, and do you do any separate core work (planks, ab whee, etc)?

In a perfect world yes, I think I know all the right things to do. I brace with a big breath like I'm about to dump a huge poo poo, etc. I had no problems taking my squat from 115-225 for reps and deadlift from 180-300 a couple years ago when I worked normal hours. But now that I work a ton, and I lift after sometimes I'm really tired and I have to be really vigilant I don't gently caress up. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I messed up putting the deadlift down. I think what happened is on one rep, I started lowering it faster than I wanted, and I tried to slow it down. Not in a very exaggerated way, but I definitely did something weird. I always used a platform at my old gym so I'd just drop them in a controlled manner. I think I may just do romanians or stiff legs until I join a better gym.

Also I don't do any other core work since I started lifting again a few months ago but I may start adding cable crunches and planks back in. I used to like doing those. e: bodyweight planks are one of those things it's okay to basically do every day right? I may just add them in to my stretching routine. Also I remember a while back Omar did a video on how they are actually good to do before you squat as a warm up to help get your hips and glutes going. Not sure if it's BS but I tried it a couple times and it seemed to help.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 8, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In a perfect world yes, I think I know all the right things to do. I brace with a big breath like I'm about to dump a huge poo poo, etc. I had no problems taking my squat from 115-225 for reps and deadlift from 180-300 a couple years ago when I worked normal hours. But now that I work a ton, and I lift after sometimes I'm really tired and I have to be really vigilant I don't gently caress up. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I messed up putting the deadlift down. I think what happened is on one rep, I started lowering it faster than I wanted, and I tried to slow it down. Not in a very exaggerated way, but I definitely did something weird. I always used a platform at my old gym so I'd just drop them in a controlled manner. I think I may just do romanians or stiff legs until I join a better gym.

Also I don't do any other core work since I started lifting again a few months ago but I may start adding cable crunches and planks back in. I used to like doing those. e: bodyweight planks are one of those things it's okay to basically do every day right? I may just add them in to my stretching routine. Also I remember a while back Omar did a video on how they are actually good to do before you squat as a warm up to help get your hips and glutes going. Not sure if it's BS but I tried it a couple times and it seemed to help.

As well as switching to straight leg straight back deadlifts for a while to work on strengthening my lower back, increasing my core work had a massive impact on my form and technique. Doing planks before can't hurt, give it a shot and see if it helps. :)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Real talk what's a good way to get protein as a vegetarian? Not including protein powders and poo poo cuz that dumb.

Semen, cause if you eat flowers youre a :wink: anyways.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't think bodyweight planks do much to strengthen anything tbh. Like literally every other lift you need to progressively add weight to get anywhere.

If you can do something every day it's not worth doing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Planks are great, do them all day.

E: it's even better if you work your core and THEN do planks. It's hard.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Voted and then because the stress is too much I'm lifting v heavy things before work.

Morning gym is nice and empty.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Got dry aged salami imported from Italy, land of meat.

These reps go out to hilldog

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Pumped iron for the Iron Dread Abuela.

Voted last week, because I don't wanna take time away from blasting my core with these planks between weighted hyperextension crunches and twists.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Pumped iron for the Iron Dread Abuela.

Voted last week, because I don't wanna take time away from blasting my core with these planks between weighted hyperextension crunches and twists.

Core status?

Also, Vader is an awesome band to run to. Angels of Steel has a good rhythm.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Pesmerga posted:

Core status?

Also, Vader is an awesome band to run to. Angels of Steel has a good rhythm.

loving. Blasted. One of those times you're crouched over slightly walking back to the locker room.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Booties posted:

These reps go out to hilldog

reps for Jesus Hilldawg

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

loving. Blasted. One of those times you're crouched over slightly walking back to the locker room.

:getin:

I'm almost at the stage where I'm going to start wearing a weighted dip-belt for hanging leg raises. Nothing beats that 'bending down to tie shoelaces is serious business' feeling.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

i just started german volume training, i'm really excited about how much it hurts

but also doing ten sets is almost boring, wtf

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

jarbv posted:

i just started german volume training, i'm really excited about how much it hurts

but also doing ten sets is almost boring, wtf

Are you on steroids? That's a lot of volume.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

Are you on steroids? That's a lot of volume.
You adapt to volume whether you are on PEDs or not.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

You adapt to volume whether you are on PEDs or not.

But 10 sets of 10 reps each? My elbows would be ground into dust...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

my lower backs been botherin me from poor squat form so ive taken a week off deads/squats. all arms all back all the time owns, bros are onto something i think