Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Considering how she was talking to Sam earlier in the issue, I'm sure the last page is going to be undercut next issue with her saying "I was only experimenting with hum-on rituals." Still weird, but I think the point of this series is going to be teen comedy hijinx mixed with overly serious villains acting as social commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Maybe after the first storyline wraps up I'll finally get my wish of Champions being "New Warriors 2.0". But this opening arc definitely isn't scratching that itch.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think I was hoping for something a bit more lighthearted in Champions. You've got an upbeat cast with a strong library of interaction, and healthy amounts of characterization. I think I was more hoping for along the lines of what we see in Ms. Marvel - IE, Canadian, Croc-Wearing Ninja villains, rather than Afterschool Special Bad Guys, and a "You know guys, I learnt something fighting these sex traffickers!" spiel without a hint of self-awareness.

Could also just be I'm not the target audience for this comic! Who knows what the kids like now days?

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 6, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Making teen hero teams have the most hosed up and emotionally-scarring adventures imaginable is a longstanding superhero comic tradition, for some reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

emotionally scarring adventures are like comic book 101

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

emotionally scarring adventures are like comic book 101

Indeed. Let's put Storm in a shipping container again or kill Jean Grey/Mary Jane/Lois Lane. That'll sell books and develope characters.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Making teen hero teams have the most hosed up and emotionally-scarring adventures imaginable is a longstanding superhero comic tradition, for some reason.

See the latter half of Johns run on Teen Titans pre and post death of Connor.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't even get me started.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Clawtopsy posted:

I think I was hoping for something a bit more lighthearted in Champions. You've got an upbeat cast with a strong library of interaction, and healthy amounts of characterization. I think I was more hoping for along the lines of what we see in Ms. Marvel - IE, Canadian, Croc-Wearing Ninja villains, rather than Afterschool Special Bad Guys, and a "You know guys, I learnt something fighting these sex traffickers!" spiel without a hint of self-awareness.

Could also just be I'm not the target audience for this comic! Who knows what the kids like now days?

Probably not this bland crap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jiro posted:

See the latter half of Johns run on Teen Titans pre and post death of Connor.

The entirety of Teen Titans' existence is Exhibit A.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
oh man i just read Deadpool #20, what a fantastic story :)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Metalshark posted:

http://www.cbr.com/perlman-explains-how-marvels-gamora-became-a-guardian-of-the-galaxy/ - this sounds like a terrific hook for Gamora's series, and I'm always a big fan of Checchetto's art. Looking forward to this!

Thank you for linking to this, I think I'd overlooked this book because it was initially announced so long ago but Perlman's interview plus the preview of Checchetto's art have definitely made this a book I'm going check out when it's released.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I just finished Vision today. Great ending. What a beautiful and utterly :smith: experience.

I'd say I'm excited to see more of Viv, but I flipped through Champions and ... yikes, is all I have to say about that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I make bad decisions, so I asked my LCS to add Gamora, Hawkeye, Thanos, Venom, and Doctor Aphra to my pull list. Not sure I'll buy anything else physical.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Other than Champions, Avengers is the only one I'm going to add to my pull list. I'll probably grab a few of the issue 1s for some stuff, but I doubt i'll be adding much new stuff. Depends heavily on what the other new X-men books are.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zdarsky's Starlord is going to be awesome. You heard it here first

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure I like Zdarsky's writing enough to go for it just yet. Are there any previews or is that not for a while?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Roth posted:

I'm not sure I like Zdarsky's writing enough to go for it just yet. Are there any previews or is that not for a while?

I definitely like Zdarsky's too-self-aware-for-its-own-good style (that's self aware about that too). I'm interested.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, the self-awareness is what I'm really tired of in modern Marvel comics, since I feel like it's been done to death already.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Did they explain somewhere why Hercules is wielding a big laser gun? I doesn't seem like his style at all. Actually, on the cover of Avengers #1, he's got a mace.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
In Abbnett's Hercules run, he became more like a Space Marine. Basically, modern weaponry as well.

And no fun allowed.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just found out about infamous Iron Man. As I recall, I predicted this face turn roughly when Unthinkable wrapped up and again after Future Foundation. I don't think I've read anything by this writer but he seems to have some chops.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

eatenmyeyes posted:

I just found out about infamous Iron Man. As I recall, I predicted this face turn roughly when Unthinkable wrapped up and again after Future Foundation. I don't think I've read anything by this writer but he seems to have some chops.
I mean, Future Foundation was written by Jonathan Hickman, who then wrote Avengers and finally Secret Wars, which is where this story picks up from. I'm not sure how predicting something will happen in 2003 and then it eventually happens in 2016 really counts as a prediction, like if I start saying "Joe Quesada is going to get fired, mark my words" and then he leaves the company in 2030 how many plaudits am I going to get for that?

Also have you seriously never heard of Brian Michael Bendis?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/11/07-2/kodansha-joins-forces-with-marvel-for-manga-award

Marvel is teaming up with manga publisher Kodansha to creat the Magazine "Marvel" Manga Award, a challenge that tasks manga artists both amateur and professional to create original stories with the characters from Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy. The winner will receive a 3 million yen ($28.7k) prize and the top entrants will be featured in an issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine in May.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Also have you seriously never heard of Brian Michael Bendis?
I've heard the name, but I don't I immediately associate him with any particular title. I looked at his bibliography and remember reading a bit of Ultimate FF. AKA Goldfish looks like something I'd enjoy.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Clawtopsy posted:

I think I was more hoping for along the lines of what we see in Ms. Marvel - IE, Canadian, Croc-Wearing Ninja villains, rather than Afterschool Special Bad Guys, and a "You know guys, I learnt something fighting these sex traffickers!" spiel without a hint of self-awareness.

I want to see more stuff like Kamala having to deal with an army of clone Kamalas. To me that's kind of the whole point of having 'teen' heroes - their problems should still be recognisably adolescent most of the time, just exaggerated to match their powers and world.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

eatenmyeyes posted:

I've heard the name, but I don't I immediately associate him with any particular title. I looked at his bibliography and remember reading a bit of Ultimate FF. AKA Goldfish looks like something I'd enjoy.
I was just surprised that you'd been following along enough with Fantastic Four to know the major beats of two writers a decade apart, but hadn't heard of Bendis. He's been one of the Main Writers at Marvel for over a decade now, wrote Ultimate Spider-Man forever, revamped the Avengers and Daredevil and Luke Cage, created Alias/Jessica Jones, wrote half of the Big Summer Event comics of the past ten years, etc. etc. He was the main X-Men writer for several years, and is currently in the drivers' seat for two of their big movie names (Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy).

But that's assuming a lot of familiarity with the comics industry I probably shouldn't have assumed. He certainly doesn't have the mainstream name of a Robert Kirkman or whatever.

AKA Goldfish/Jinx were really cool at the time, though the art is shaky and I have no idea if the writing holds up. Though if you like it, he's got lots of crime/noir inflected stuff going through his Marvel work over the past fifteen years too.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I admittedly know nothing about writers or artists. But, one of my favorite things about getting back into monthly comics around Secret Wars last year was finding this thread and reading all the creative talk. It was great getting to put names to moments I remember enjoying or not liking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When I was young and into comics for basically the first five years or maybe more, I never knew of any of the creators involved. I just followed the stories and characters I liked. The one exception was Jim Starlin because I liked the Marvel Cosmic stuff so much and just noticed that his name was on a ton of the stuff I loved. Honestly I didn't really know much about who did what until I started reading Wizard Magazine. My first comic shop was more of sports memorabilia and trading card shop that also had comics and my friends that also liked comics were just as clueless as me when it came to creators on things.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm showing how much younger I am than most everybody else, but Geoff Johns was the first name I started repeatedly noticing on the comics I was buying.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

When I was young and into comics for basically the first five years or maybe more, I never knew of any of the creators involved. I just followed the stories and characters I liked. The one exception was Jim Starlin because I liked the Marvel Cosmic stuff so much and just noticed that his name was on a ton of the stuff I loved. Honestly I didn't really know much about who did what until I started reading Wizard Magazine. My first comic shop was more of sports memorabilia and trading card shop that also had comics and my friends that also liked comics were just as clueless as me when it came to creators on things.

I started noticing artists long before writers (though Starlin is both so I'm not sure which half of his duties caught your attention more). I'd pick up an issue with such-and-such doing the pencils and be more excited about reading it and then eventually I would notice their style without seeing their name. Of course, having cover artists be different than interior artists always sucked. It felt like it was always the interior artist being a let-down from the cover artist and never the opposite. Never a good surprise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

I started noticing artists long before writers (though Starlin is both so I'm not sure which half of his duties caught your attention more).

Writing for sure. At the time Ron Lim was doing a lot of the art on that stuff like Infinity Gauntlet and Silver Surfer. I was really young when that stuff came out so I didn't know his name at the time, but because I read those books over and over again for years when I finally got to be like 13 or 14 I took notice of who it was writing the books I liked most. Even then though it was a few more years before I started looking more at writers than anything. Art never really moved me one way or the other even in the art-driven '90s that I grew up in.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Writing for sure. At the time Ron Lim was doing a lot of the art on that stuff like Infinity Gauntlet and Silver Surfer. I was really young when that stuff came out so I didn't know his name at the time, but because I read those books over and over again for years when I finally got to be like 13 or 14 I took notice of who it was writing the books I liked most. Even then though it was a few more years before I started looking more at writers than anything. Art never really moved me one way or the other even in the art-driven '90s that I grew up in.

Ron Lim was actually one of the first comics artist I actually Noticed (tm); I really liked the kind of square-jawed heroism he managed to infuse his characters with, and of course his Thanos looked amazing.

But for me it was the writing that caught my attention. I could handle good writing with bad art, but bad writing meant I'd drop a book in a heartbeat even if it looked beautiful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Jurgens was probably the first creator who's name really stuck with me. But Jerry Ordway and Roger Stern were right behind him and by the end of my first year of collecting I could name the writer, penciller and inker of all the Superman books. Those were good times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the first name I remember noticing on comics was Stan Lee but I guess that's cheating.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Roth posted:

I'm showing how much younger I am than most everybody else, but Geoff Johns was the first name I started repeatedly noticing on the comics I was buying.

Mine was Peter David, in the period where he was suddenly one of the go-to guys for Spider-Man.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
For me it was Claremont's FF issues that really stuck in my head which is odd because I got into FF at #350, but I liked it enough to start going back and grabbing older issues. Later when I got into X-Men with #1 I noticed Jim Lee as well because I loved the art style. The only other name that I really remember sticking out was Fabian Nicieza, mostly because X-Force #19 was one of my top 5 issues as a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember who the first writer I started recognising was but the first artist was definitely Alan Davis, though. The first issue of Avengers I read was a Kurt Busiek issue where the Avengers fight the population of a small town in Greece that have all been turned into Hulks; Alan Davis drew that one and immediately became my favourite. After him it was George Pérez, because they then reprinted JLA/Avengers and the third issue was delayed for ages because Pérez had hurt his hand, so I heard about it that way.

Actually, here's fun: the main way to read most of the Marvel comics in the UK (unless you were buying them online or going to Forbidden Planet or wherever) was to buy the "Collector's Edition" magazines published by Panini, which were 76 pages and collected three reprinted issues.

The Avengers comics (Avengers United) reprinted JLA/Avengers immediately before they did the Kang Dynasty storyline, but had to skip the third issue when Pérez did himself an injury. Instead, they put the comic out with a reprint of a classic Avengers story replacing JLA/Avengers #3.

Can you guess what issue they substituted in?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I was just surprised that you'd been following along enough with Fantastic Four to know the major beats of two writers a decade apart, but hadn't heard of Bendis.

I'm familiar with those story arcs because they feature Doom. He's one of the few super heroes I find consistently engaging. Absent somebody's recommendation, I tend to pass over most super hero books. In the past two years, aside from a few one-shots and mini-series, the only non-Doom Marvel/DC I can recall reading are the run of She-Hulk written by an attorney, Fraction's Hawkeye, and Batman Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It took me forever, as a youth, to figure out who Ed was* and why he was involved with so many comics.

* See last issue - Ed.

• Locked thread