Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

Paris Harvestcraft is interesting. It works best if paired with Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life so that you have a real reason to use the dozens and dozens of different food types (be careful when handling settings for those mods, though - it's possible to set them to truly BS levels). I mostly like it 'cause it gives you a reason and way to have huge fields of different types of crops and different food to eat.
As of a few days ago, at least, Hunger Overhaul isn't out for 1.10 anyway.

Just get Harvestcraft and Spice of Life. Their default settings work great with the new hunger system because all Hunger Overhaul really did was massively cut down the amount food counts for anyway. With just Harvestcraft and Spice of Life you get a really good amount of saturation from most foods, even simple things like juice, and most foods that take like 4+ ingredients will probably bring you back to full saturation. It encourages the diversity of food you know and love without making you eat 4 meals to get your hunger meter back up, and it works well with the new saturation/healing system.
All the fun of varied foods without the crippling nerf of "everything is an unfulfilling snack now".

Oh and as an added bonus, without Hunger Overhaul, the game doesn't slow and weaken you when you get too hurt/hungry, because what you really need when you're down to the wire and fighting a monster is to get suddenly crippled and unable to fight/run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did like what TFC was trying to do with hunger. It basically split things up across food groups. Honestly, I hate that I think this way, but I would sperg a little bit over a modpack that factored common nutrients, assigned them to foods, and tracked that in particular. I'd presume it could track food across compound crafting phases. So stuff like salt, proteins, vitamins, and minerals would matter. The player would generally still be able to eat whatever, but they would find--like the TFC system--their recovery rate and their max HP to be seriously affected if they tried to live off of just one thing and variations on it. Lunchboxes would still be a thing.

Mzbundifund posted:

Fun trick, you can put the autonomous activator ABOVE the netherrack. Just have it target downwards. It'll magically place the sapling right through the block.

:doh: Things I didn't know. I might go back and actually add a quest to bloodwood farming in BFSR because bloodwood tree farming has been a good thing to me in resource-scarce questing packs.

The trees are consistently building out in the positive directions, so I guess that's a rule. But putting the AA overhead would reduce what disasters I may experience.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did like what TFC was trying to do with hunger. It basically split things up across food groups. Honestly, I hate that I think this way, but I would sperg a little bit over a modpack that factored common nutrients, assigned them to foods, and tracked that in particular. I'd presume it could track food across compound crafting phases. So stuff like salt, proteins, vitamins, and minerals would matter. The player would generally still be able to eat whatever, but they would find--like the TFC system--their recovery rate and their max HP to be seriously affected if they tried to live off of just one thing and variations on it. Lunchboxes would still be a thing.

Create it, Rocko. Become the next Greg. It is your destiny.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Diabetania

Thermal [gut] Expansion

Apple Pied Energistics 2

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

spice of life is still one of the few things to straight up hurt my blightfall run. turning that off was the best thing i did.

also, i'm enjoying the roots mod for how chill it is in terms of progression.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

spice of life is still one of the few things to straight up hurt my blightfall run. turning that off was the best thing i did.

I got an axe of healing before I ever got a cow... Sooo, I have to agree with you there.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Trying out blightfall and I got to the part of thaumcraft where I need to use an infusion altar. Namely, I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and I want a thaumium-capped silverwood wand. I have the thaumium caps but making the silverwood core is stumping me. I set up the altar so that it turns into the multiblock correctly, and then I added relevant pillars around it so I could put the needed shards around it. Upon activating the whole thing with my existing wand, there was a lot of explosions, flux goo, lightning, lightning knocking shards off the pedestals, etc and didn't really get the silverwood wand core I wanted.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

Trying out blightfall and I got to the part of thaumcraft where I need to use an infusion altar. Namely, I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and I want a thaumium-capped silverwood wand. I have the thaumium caps but making the silverwood core is stumping me. I set up the altar so that it turns into the multiblock correctly, and then I added relevant pillars around it so I could put the needed shards around it. Upon activating the whole thing with my existing wand, there was a lot of explosions, flux goo, lightning, lightning knocking shards off the pedestals, etc and didn't really get the silverwood wand core I wanted.

Don't forget jars of the essentia the infusion requires (listed under their ingredients in the Thaumonomicon) but the altar needs to be 'stabilised' which means 1) everything has to be as symmetrical as possible and b) you need to place stabilising blocks around the altar such as mob heads, candles, and Botania pylons while keeping in mind 1).

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

I feel like spice of life by itself isn't actually all that bad if configured properly - it's combining it with pam's harvestcraft, which has incredibly fiddly recipes often with 4+ distinct ingredients and occasionally several steps of processing, and you /never/ have the ingredients you need for the vast majority of recipes.

If there was a variety of very simple recipes that could be made with 1-2 of crops/meats/milk/etc, a decent number of which are accessible fairly easily, with a few more complex recipes that use more but essentially fully restore hunger and/or give a few minutes of a buff, would just encourage a little more variety farming. Also food should never go below half hunger restored, certainly never to 0 except for half shank snacks.

For these survival maps it fills an important role in encouraging you to go out and find new sources of food and then bring them back and farm them - which is cool, you found a new thing to make your life easier, that's one of the goals of interesting exploration, it's just way too irritating to put the food together, and you need to pay attention to it way too often.

Adding in some sort of long term buff from food so there's a carrot aspect as well as the stick of starvation would probably make food management feel like less of a chore, too.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 8, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

chairface posted:

I am just redoing blightfall, it is one hell'ov'apack

Thaum should be completely balanced, (including the research table) that even goes for the room and doors etc.

If you balance the research table and surround with crystals and bookshelves then you will get the * against every symbol, if it is not balanced you can **apparently lose points...

** I have not seen this myself but was told by thaum players more experienced than me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I am just redoing blightfall, it is one hell'ov'apack

Thaum should be completely balanced, (including the research table) that even goes for the room and doors etc.

If you balance the research table and surround with crystals and bookshelves then you will get the * against every symbol, if it is not balanced you can **apparently lose points...

** I have not seen this myself but was told by thaum players more experienced than me.

That is wrong. The research table does not care about symmetry, and it never subtracts points. It counts nearby bookshelves and crystal clusters and some other types of blocks, and gives you a ghost point (the sparkles above aspects in the table) for appropriate aspects-- either matching aspects for the crystals, or random ones for bookshelves. So just slap like five bookshelves near your research table and it'll eventually give you a ghost point for all the aspects. You can never get more than one ghost point, and the ghost point is only spent if you use up your entire pool for that aspect.
This is not really that useful unless you're playing a modpack that is severely starved in things you can scan.

The deconstruction table is what you want to use to get positive points and are starved for research points otherwise.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just got past 2 huge obstacles in Blightfall.
1st was in my attempt to get to the swamp I kept getting a row of chunks missing.
Which I after frustration I found a fix by changing the config.

2nd was after I got to the swamp and slept I got spawn camped by 2-3 purple mist things.
I must have died a good 10-12 times before I was able to draw them far enough out into the water so when they killed me they wouldn't just move back to my bed spawnpoint.
I got the 3 warnings for reputation loss when I got to the missing chunks and got raped by pigs. Any reputation I had was destroyed after the mist thingies.
I just rage quit after teleporting back to base. :)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

OgNar posted:

Just got past 2 huge obstacles in Blightfall.
1st was in my attempt to get to the swamp I kept getting a row of chunks missing.
Which I after frustration I found a fix by changing the config.

2nd was after I got to the swamp and slept I got spawn camped by 2-3 purple mist things.
I must have died a good 10-12 times before I was able to draw them far enough out into the water so when they killed me they wouldn't just move back to my bed spawnpoint.
I got the 3 warnings for reputation loss when I got to the missing chunks and got raped by pigs. Any reputation I had was destroyed after the mist thingies.
I just rage quit after teleporting back to base. :)

Don't sleep outside your dome unless you have thoroughly cleansed an area. You can warp for a reason.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I hate thinking about food and what I should/need/have to eat in general (yet I do it) so doing in a loving video game sounds like a nightmare.

I'm the fucker who would love a pill that has everything I needed so I don't have to eat unless I want to.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ended up having to cut my modpack plans down significantly. Not because my sister couldn't run it but because I couldn't get hosting with enough memory for it without paying $50 a month. Have a couple old PC parts lying around. Once I'm able to buy some fresh RAM and a cheap CPU I'm just gonna set up a dedicated box next to my router and run that. Way, way cheaper than paying for a year of hosting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

Create it, Rocko. Become the next Greg. It is your destiny.

To eat any of it, you have to craft a steel fork. You simply refuse to eat unless you have a fork.

The fork is crafted by combining steel, two ender pearls, a nether star, and a copy of your head.

chairface posted:

Haha this is funny because that's exactly where I am. Literally. I am prepping to go from a gold-capped greatwood wand to a thaumium-capped silverwood wand. You might want to try a stable, basic infusion first of something you might need even need. Then the basics--before even getting into a candle room--is making your infusion pillars symmetrical. So if you have four pillars, I'd go with a + shape. If you have eight, then place those in an X to supplement the first four. From what I can tell, the location of items is irrelevant. After all, it doesn't say anything about which way is north. Empty pillars are okay too. So you don't have to shuffle the pillars around to try to make the placement look like what's in the Thaumonomicon.

The rest comes down to boosting stability near and under the altar, and that comes down to symmetric placement of candles, skulls, and the like. However, you should be able to poo poo out the wand without all that. You should just have spares of each ingredient so you can run up to a pedestal and boost it.

If the infusion is going to work at all, it will gobble essentia first. If it's not gobbling essentia, then it's not happy. Stop the infusion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

To eat any of it, you have to craft a steel fork. You simply refuse to eat unless you have a fork.

The fork is crafted by combining steel, two ender pearls, a nether star, and a copy of your head.
Pair that up with Minecraft is too easy!

quote:

Logs may be harvested only while wielding a hatchet, axe or battle axe

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Eh...it doesn't look THAT terrible. The hearts/food reduction and hunger mechanics seem a bit bullshit but it's more tolerable than GT at least.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Eh...it doesn't look THAT terrible. The hearts/food reduction and hunger mechanics seem a bit bullshit but it's more tolerable than GT at least.
I've never actually looked at GregTech. Let's check the ol' wiki...

Holy poo poo

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

Spice of Life works fine if you're doing multiplayer and have someone around who likes farming and cooking. I've always hated it in the past, but I'm playing Blightfall with my fiance and a friend of ours and my fiance loves puttering around with Pam's Harvestcraft, doesn't really like mining or exploration that well (she mostly wants to putter with crops and work on our base), and really likes that she can contribute to our progress in a more meaningful way. Our Archimedes' Airship is stuffed with food so whenever we go sailing in the adventure boat we have a good supply with us cause of her.

That said SoL is awful awful awful if you're playing solo. Turn that noise off and never look back.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've never actually looked at GregTech. Let's check the ol' wiki...

Holy poo poo

Neither have I :gonk: I knew it was awful but goddrat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Re: Infusion stability in Blightfall

By far the easiest infusion booster is a big mess of candles. There's an obsidian totem obelisk with an eerie node in it visible from alpha dome, it autospawns angry zombies if you hang around there at night. Killing one will get you ~16 rotten flesh, and that's enough for 24 candles. Just hang around your crucible with a stack of greatwood logs and chuck in 2 logs then 1 flesh, occasionally taking a break to dump all the excess arbor into the atmosphere.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Who are you plebeians who don't bumrush for a Thaumatorium? I can't stand doing alchemy by just hucking stuff into a pot

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

D34THROW posted:

"having a lot of stuff" isn't the problem. lots of those dusts, for example, can be electrolysed into different metals to provide easy sources of rare materials

the problem, the one that isn't initially conveyed by the big list of items, is that everything's a massive enormous loving grind

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

Spice of Life works fine if you're doing multiplayer and have someone around who likes farming and cooking. I've always hated it in the past, but I'm playing Blightfall with my fiance and a friend of ours and my fiance loves puttering around with Pam's Harvestcraft, doesn't really like mining or exploration that well (she mostly wants to putter with crops and work on our base), and really likes that she can contribute to our progress in a more meaningful way. Our Archimedes' Airship is stuffed with food so whenever we go sailing in the adventure boat we have a good supply with us cause of her.

That said SoL is awful awful awful if you're playing solo. Turn that noise off and never look back.

yeah, that was pretty much the big issue. with everything else you have to juggle in blightfall, having to cook a bunch of varied poo poo by yourself just to be able to actually eat worth a drat was painful.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
When setting up a node as a CV supply, is there any benefit between using a regular node stabilizer versus and advanced one?

Also, fun Blightfall story from IRL: I'm in the gym and they naturally have a college football game on. The stadium was using some odd blue-purple turf, and I was thinking, "Why are they running around on all that taint?" I'd watch that football match.

Magres posted:

Who are you plebeians who don't bumrush for a Thaumatorium? I can't stand doing alchemy by just hucking stuff into a pot

This is a wise man. People are always talking about how wise he is. The wisest. gently caress that pot of purple muck. Except to get a bucketful for Dr. Sprouse. There needs to be a Blightfall t-shirt of Dr. Sprouse breaking into the scanner room with a copy of Shiitake's head, a bucket of flux, and an electric drill. "God dammit, Dr. Sprouse, nobody cares about your hippy flowers!"

I like how people in the thread immediately suggested to combine it with Environmine.

TFC doesn't tolerate tree punching too IIRC, but it fits in pretty well there. I generally like the technical mods, but there was some fun in switching to TFC and ... being generally scared shitless that I was going to die die die.

D34THROW posted:

I saw "GregTech_Resources" in the URL and was genuinely afraid this was going to be a goatse link.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

When setting up a node as a CV supply, is there any benefit between using a regular node stabilizer versus and advanced one?

Also, fun Blightfall story from IRL: I'm in the gym and they naturally have a college football game on. The stadium was using some odd blue-purple turf, and I was thinking, "Why are they running around on all that taint?" I'd watch that football match.

This is a wise man. People are always talking about how wise he is. The wisest. gently caress that pot of purple muck. Except to get a bucketful for Dr. Sprouse. There needs to be a Blightfall t-shirt of Dr. Sprouse breaking into the scanner room with a copy of Shiitake's head, a bucket of flux, and an electric drill. "God dammit, Dr. Sprouse, nobody cares about your hippy flowers!"

I like how people in the thread immediately suggested to combine it with Environmine.

TFC doesn't tolerate tree punching too IIRC, but it fits in pretty well there. I generally like the technical mods, but there was some fun in switching to TFC and ... being generally scared shitless that I was going to die die die.

I saw "GregTech_Resources" in the URL and was genuinely afraid this was going to be a goatse link.

Regular and Advanced stabilizer, afaik, do the same thing. The node stops being a true node once it's transduced, so it won't fight with other nodes.

Blightball sounds amazing!!! Also I would totally wear that shirt and I don't care how obscure of a reference it is.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about anyone else but I found taking the time to make sure I had a lunch pail full of food before setting out somewhere dangerous sort of fun, and with the Cooking for Blockheads kitchen multiblock set up I never found it particularly difficult or tedious to get variety. Some berry bushes, a cow for milk, salt, sugar, flour, potatoes, carrots and fish make a pretty good amount of food.

Also the benefit of a regular node stabiliser over an advanced one is you don't need the latter so it's cheaper.

Here's a tip for anyone inexperienced with Thaumcraft though: try to find a node with Humanus or anything that includes it in its creation (Instrumentum, Telum, Tutamen etc) to create a charged node from. Humanus and everything after it is guaranteed to break down into every aspect when charged, and you want a charged node with every aspect. Blightfall has at least a few of these around, and one in particular is a Pure node which will help you know if you stumble upon it.

Western edge of the desert along the banks of the river flowing through it. Underground, but where it is is obvious.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ok ok, let's back up a bit. Needing the essentia in jars was news to me so i'm putting together an alchemical furnace and alembic rig to handle that but once I have it all in jars, where do the jars go? On pedestals? On arcane stone blocks anywhere inside the altar radius? Do they need to be symmetric?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Jars don't need to be symmetric, just nearby. Most objects don't count for symmetry, the big ones you need to worry/use about are candles, crystal clusters, and the floating crystals from botania.

Black Pants posted:

I dunno about anyone else but I found taking the time to make sure I had a lunch pail full of food before setting out somewhere dangerous sort of fun, and with the Cooking for Blockheads kitchen multiblock set up I never found it particularly difficult or tedious to get variety. Some berry bushes, a cow for milk, salt, sugar, flour, potatoes, carrots and fish make a pretty good amount of food.

The only way I'm getting cows at my base is if I go mine enough Oureclase to make 10 blocks for the black marketeer, unfortunately. The biggest downside to not choosing Alpha/Beta for a base is good luck getting cows in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe. Lacking cows really limits your cooking options, though you can make things work without them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

Ok ok, let's back up a bit. Needing the essentia in jars was news to me so i'm putting together an alchemical furnace and alembic rig to handle that but once I have it all in jars, where do the jars go? On pedestals? On arcane stone blocks anywhere inside the altar radius? Do they need to be symmetric?

Oh drat--you didn't know about the essentia thing. Yeah that sucks. If I had more free time, I'd be spelling this out in a BFSR magic pack, but nerp.

So there are basically three types of magic power in Thaumcraft 4:
  • Vis: That crap you get out of nodes for arcane crafting. Only really available in the primal aspects. If you see a node with a compound aspect, it would really just break down into its primal components if harnessed for...
  • Centivis: 1/100th of a vis per tick, used for many items that require "power." I was assuming you had the same motives as me in making that silverwood wand. You want to jar a node and set it up in a node tranducer/stabilizer rig. You will no longer be able to tap from it directly, but a wand recharge pedestal will do it for you. These only supply for primal aspects, but that's all you'll see in recipes requiring you use your wand.
  • Essentia: You boil down items in an alchemical furnace. They will reduce to the aspects shown if you scan them. All of those aspects, and in those quantities. They are stored in jars that the infusion altar suck out of when doing infusion crafting. Very pretty. These come in all compound aspects you can imagine.

Important items to farm for essentia in Blightfall:
  • Ghostwood is nice for spiritus for golems stuff. You don't have to sustainable farm it, but running a few trees' worth will take care of your spiritus problems.
  • Bloodwood is king and gives you infinite tech metals c/o of metallum if you just keep a little bit o fit around. It will turn one nugget into three. Toss out the extra arbor by rclicking a jar IIRC.
  • Barley seeds give you permutatio (IIRC). I don't remember which aspect it is, but that ingredient will help you with duplication copper.
  • Glass gives you vitreus, which is useful for tin as well as duplicating AE2 crystals eventually IIRC. Or is it just nether quartz? I can't remember. Either way, you want to use that to poo poo out as much stuff as you need for AE2 as you can.
  • Cobblegen->(furnace)->stone->(chiselx3)->decorative stone (I think; scan it) will give you ordo. This will help you with lead duplication, as well as long-term ordo. In the early game, you undoubtedly have enough cobblestone to take care of your short-term needs.
  • Lucrum from a cursed earth mob farm (gold coins) will help you duplicate gold.
  • Nether wart gives praecantatio, which you need--among other things--to make that wand and thaumium. You also get more infernus than you'll ever need this way, so you can take a side-trip into some forbidden stuff and blow it on goofy hell things.
  • Milk gives sano, which I'm just going to say is important in Blightfall.
  • Translocating a wisp spawner into a mob grinder will give you a steady source of auram, which you also will need. They will drop all kinds of essentias and you will find yourself in abundance for one-off crafting from this. So your game should stop and get a translocation focus as soon as the research appears. Look for a sinister node with an obsidian altar and you'll find a wisp spawner somewhere under the mess.

The jars just have to be nearby. Something like within 12 blocks. They have no symmetry rules, and unrelated jars can be laying around within the active area. I set up my alchemical furnace just a little aways and below the altar. I will be lining up the jars just within range at the lower level, but I haven't gotten that far.

I would post pictures tonight, but I make no guarantees because of Election Night.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Dammit you all are making me want to Blightfall again.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would be cooler with taking food with me if each item of food wasn't viable exactly two(2) times before being ash and dust. And the lunch pails/boxes in these mods? Only allows stacks of 2-3, so essentially one minecraft day before going home

any mod that maximizes time in crafting windows/inventory and minimizes time out in a creative voxel world doesn't jive with my Minecraft goals

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best change Thaumcraft ever made was in 1.8 when the research mechanic was overhauled and you no longer needed to scan every single item or scrounge for research points. Second best was making the Vis system back into aura so you don't need to find recharge points whenever you want to cast spells. Third best was the air-transfer system for essentia, because holy poo poo, gently caress pipes.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Try terrafirmacraft, - forget caves and tunnels unless you have supports every 2 blocks

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

Derp derp meow woof infusion and essentia.
So here's a picture of what I'm staging:

I figured I'd screencap it before I clean up the shitshow; the whole area is going to be made into a fun building. That's an 8-pedestal altar. I made thaumium caps with it just fine. Okay, I did get zapped once. Notice on the lower level to the right are two jars of essentia. One is auram, which I got from a stakeout of a wisp spawner by the mountain lake. I had to dig under it to get low light levels and spawn the little buggers. I got the potentia from charcoal. The infusion altar was able to reach that far to suck up essentia, and my distillation rig is partially off-screen in the far bottom-right.

There is nothing interesting under the altar right now, but the whole area underneath it will be augmented with fun stuff like candles soon. Actually, I will probably wind up using skulls because I have assembled enough materials to start a cursed-earth mob grinder. I will be accumulating random heads for which I have no other use. The whole area is just surplus barley to make lots of bread for free +9 reputation. Someday I might be able to use that reputation to get a tomato! Instead, I keep rolling in turnips. The game is preparing me for my future lifestyle!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will also always recommend Botania Mana Pylons for Infusion stabilisation. They are both very effective AND very shiny and pretty.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Quick trivia question: does the equal trade focus have a mining level? I particularly need to get some obsidian and yellorite, which are bloodwood-hostile in Blightfall, and I would rather not coddle a superpick.

Okay one more question: What is a pre-req for the translocation focus?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Equal Trade does not have any mining level restrictions, nor does Excavation.

My favorite way to mine Obsidian is to take a stack of torches, tune the Equal Trade focus to them, find a lava lake, pour water on it, step back and boop the obsidian with the wand. It'll try to replace all the Obsidian with torches that will immediately break, leaving you free to let the water pour down to the next layer of lava and harden it so you can repeat the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Try terrafirmacraft, - forget caves and tunnels unless you have supports every 2 blocks

It's 4 blocks, and you can save on wood by removing redundant support pillars once you've placed more further on. TFC supports are pretty easy to make regardless, and wood is easy enough to come by in order to make enough supports to secure a mining zone to mine out the vein you found. Also you can chisel the floor so you only have to put supports in on the top layer. The problem with TFC is that you will not be branch mining-- it is too slow and ore veins are too far apart. You have to use the prospector's pick to find veins near the surface, and scout out the world to find surface rock layers that hold the veins you're looking for. This can take a very very long time, and there's no advanced machinery to make it easier, unlike GregTech.

Also TFC caves suck. They are rare and small.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 9, 2016