Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Our weekend game will start in about 30 minutes! Here is the discord to join if you want to sit in silence while no one talks to each other: https://discord.gg/kVteHkH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Trip Report: Morgrararara run away for the win after the map generator says no to any land resources what so ever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lichtenstein posted:

Okay, the Forgotten effortpost is here.

Are you a bad enough dude to be Forgotten?
First, let me say I'm playing this game single player on normal speed - you'll have to adjust it for any multiplayer peculiarities there are - most importantly, the AI is quite terrible at hunting your pillagers, so you'll have to be craftier and more focused on cutting the pillage time to a turn or two.

. . .

The Art of War
First off, :siren:always:siren: micromanage fights! Your units are sub-par pieces of poo poo number-wise, but all have really neat abilities that you can leverage to great advantage. All three units are very useful for their purposes, with their weakness being you lack a designated tank - and the Assassing are rather mediocre at this forced role. Be on the lookout to assimilate some tanky minors to bolster the garrisons.

. . .

The holy trinity of espionage actions are tech theft, decrease morale and damaging fortification. These are what you use to win the game. The other actions are situational, if you feel like kicking particular opponent is advantageous. Remember that city infiltration actions will reveal the location of the spy!

Thanks for this. I went from no chance in hell to winning on serious difficulty. Reducing enemy morale is insanely good.

It was also my playthrough where I bothered with learning the combat system. Setting units to passive really improves things. Default aggressive is unmanageable.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ssmagus posted:

Trip Report: Morgrararara run away for the win after the map generator says no to any land resources what so ever.

Seriously, wtf was with that map generation? The Morgawr were sitting all along by themselves. The land didn't have any resources anywhere. I don't know what happened there.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Seriously, wtf was with that map generation? The Morgawr were sitting all along by themselves. The land didn't have any resources anywhere. I don't know what happened there.

Yeah, the only settings I changed where game speed/timers so not sure what happened. I guess with regular strategic resources the game now spreads them out even more. I only had two glassteel the entire game. :negative:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Mrrrgghhhlll!

Re: the resource thing, I'm pretty certain that with Tempest, they split existing resources in some proportion between land and sea. Which is kind of dumb, because it means ignoring the ocean (which is presented as a very optional thing) is totally shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm not sure if it was especially bad on that map for some reason- I thought BadOptics just used the default settings.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 7, 2016

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Started playing Hard, not a massive difference yet in AI behaviour - they're certainly better at building armies (or at least more of them, I've still not seen researched units yet), but nothing a stack of Stalwarts and Dust Priests can't destroy, and they get pretty passive once you get stronger. Guardians expansion is pretty cool, I haven't actually built any of the guardians themselves yet, but I'll make sure to go out of my way to do so next time just to see what they can do. After that I'll turn on Shadows and grab Shifters.

By the way, The Humble Store has Endless Legend and the two DLCs they have (Guardians and Shadows) at 75% off for another fourteen hours or so, in case you didn't already have them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I bought this game ages ago but have finally got around to playing it. It's pretty fun! I like meeting all the cool baby factions and making friends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I've been experimenting with the Allayi a little bit. While I recognize a Guide would be asking a bit much off the cuff, does anyone have any recommendations on how to build their Heroes? At the moment I'm guessing they're better as combat leaders than Governors, and as such I should focus on the Faction tree but what elements?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I've been experimenting with the Allayi a little bit. While I recognize a Guide would be asking a bit much off the cuff, does anyone have any recommendations on how to build their Heroes? At the moment I'm guessing they're better as combat leaders than Governors, and as such I should focus on the Faction tree but what elements?

I'm still chipping away at a more in-depth thing on the Allayi in free time (apologies to anyone who was expecting that in a timely fashion, there's a lot unique to them to explain), but their Heroes tend to be (really good) generals; however ,the pearl cost reduction can also be really nice to have around when you're building Garths. So yea, follow the faction tree, and depending on what you're using the hero most for at the time, go toward Coupe de Grace or follow the line up toward Inspirational Leader.

Also, unrelated to your question, but the best thing to internalize about the Allayi are how amazing and essential the Skyfin is in every respect. Build as many as you can because they do so much for you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Next Endless Space 2 major update will introduce a new major faction.
Basically every major update up to and including release will have a new major faction. They are saying the final released faction will probable be the Unfallen.

They want to make a major update every 3 weeks, and that was posted 11 days ago.
They basically want to do 2 weeks of development, 1 week of stabilizing what they put into the game.

They want 3 more major updates, and then the final update which will be the release. If they stick to the schedule, the game should be released by February.

The next major update will NOT have space battle improvements. They said they were too complex to put into the next major update but will be in the 2nd major update. If they miss a feature they have on their roadmap, it will be in the next major release. Obviously if they miss something for the release, it'll be in the release.

The release instead will be 5 weeks of a development time. A long month, basically.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Amplitude was interviewed in the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/amplitude-studios-and-the-endless-series

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fangz posted:

Amplitude was interviewed in the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/amplitude-studios-and-the-endless-series

I started listening to this on the cycle into work today, its pretty good but hilarious that the host had no idea that Sega had partnered up with Amplitude. Come on dude you are supposed to you know Google the company before the show. Also he apparently savaged Endless Space 1 on an earlier episode of the podcast which the Amplitude guy listened to before this one, the host couldn't remember it so its a tad awkward.

The interviewee has some interesting stuff about how hard it is to tie narrative aspects into a 4x game, I recommend listening to it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What size map do you guys usually play in Endless Legend, especially for 8 factions? I've been doing Large which seems fine (at least, as someone whose skill level is "usually wins Normal"), but it does mean that there's not usually a huge amount of difference between who's present in each game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Generic Octopus posted:

I'm still chipping away at a more in-depth thing on the Allayi in free time (apologies to anyone who was expecting that in a timely fashion, there's a lot unique to them to explain), but their Heroes tend to be (really good) generals; however ,the pearl cost reduction can also be really nice to have around when you're building Garths. So yea, follow the faction tree, and depending on what you're using the hero most for at the time, go toward Coupe de Grace or follow the line up toward Inspirational Leader.

Also, unrelated to your question, but the best thing to internalize about the Allayi are how amazing and essential the Skyfin is in every respect. Build as many as you can because they do so much for you.

Yeah I've been experimenting with them and I'm still wrestling with how to define "as many as I can" because at the same time you need Pearls Pearls Pearls! to build more and more Garths and Winter Boroughs etc etc.

Gotta get tall, but ALSO need to buy more Skyfins to get even more Pearls to get even taller.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Endless legends just updated today. It looks like they greatly decreased the percentage of resource spawns on fortress compared to the land. A 35% decrease, according to the notes, plus the number of resources per fortress declining from 2 per fort to 1.

That should make runaway Morgawr victories harder to do if people on land are actually able to get more than a single resource spawn each.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that's good news, I was seeing barely any land resources in any of the post-Tempest games I played. Sounds like they might have fixed the bug where your Army path finding gets screwed up randomly too.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

There's been a couple more minor faction reveals in the last day or so and they've just announced the next major going into the next update.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/801425074494455808
I never played as them in the original, I assume they play as standard military types. As for the minors

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/799645348104957952
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/800733615881474050
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/801088187653386240
The Z'vali bonus seems pretty good if you keep approval up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They had to add a human faction eventually.

Was just surprised they weren't one of the original 4.
Still gives me hope they will bring in the Vaulters as a major faction. They won't just put in 1 human faction.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love that image of the alien giving the human soldier food as an offering. Then in the next slide, with the flag, the soldier is standing atop a pile of bones with the very same green fruit in the pile.

This is gonna be some grindark poo poo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I missed that part, but the line about meeting other peoples and turning them into patriots is really something. :allears:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ameoba and Pilgrims joining Hissho in the Minor Faction trash pile is pretty funny.

I'll be more interested in the UE once we see their faction affinity, although that trailer was strong. Can't wait for the rise of space nazis.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The empire are industrialist going by the official wiki, along with an influence bonus.

Their wiki description has them as an offshoot of the Mezari like the Vaulters and describes them as something more like a militarized confederation than a full on tyrannical empire.

So we have two unrevealed major factions left: one returning and one new.

The XML files still list Horatio, Automatons, "time lords," Harmony and Vaulters as factions but they don't differentiate between major and minor.

I really hope Horatio is a minor but it has a pretty vocal fanbase.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 23, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Empire is in the game now.

Emperor's Will gives a 0.1 influence bonus per industry spent.

Their race gives +1 influence, and +1 additional on temperate.

Traits are +1 industry per population on planet, -25% over-colonization penalty on empire, and +25% maximum manpower on empire.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope Horatio is a minor but it has a pretty vocal fanbase.

I hope Horatio is a minor that slowly turns into a major as he assimilates your whole empire with Horatio.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Empire is in the game now.

Emperor's Will gives a 0.1 influence bonus per industry spent.

Their race gives +1 influence, and +1 additional on temperate.

Traits are +1 industry per population on planet, -25% over-colonization penalty on empire, and +25% maximum manpower on empire.

I like the idea of using influence as basically a second kind of dust, should be interesting. Also I'm sold by the trailer.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's a pretty awesome trailer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Really digging the Starship Troopers vibe. Desire to know more intensifies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The UE are an awesome faction. Being able to buy out construction with influence is great and it's easy to make a shitload of the stuff. Their faction quest is about the Emperor dealing with a coup attempt and guiding the empire to secure his legacy. Sheredyn and Mezari get name-dropped as path options at one point.

I still have no loving clue how ground invasions work. I siege a system down to 0 manpower before launching an invasion and I still lose.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can also buy out Science with influence. Basically stack as much influence as possible and buy out the galaxy until you win. Or at least that's how my quick game with them went. Honestly there's nothing especially militaristic about their gameplay: I did win a military victory but that's just because I expanded my borders enough to buy all the enemy planets.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2016

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

I hadn't actually watched the trailer or read the wiki page when I posted that so whoops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, they were a heavily militaristic faction in the previous game (and in the trailer just now), so it wasn't exactly a strange assumption to make.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 28, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If you are making mad dust, you can mad dash to research privateers and just hire mercenaries to be your army.

Of course, it doesn't make much difference right now as the combat won't be overhauled until Major Update 2.
Major Update 2 looks like beyond the new major faction, they are going to put in most of the time into the combat upgrades.

Update 3 is when multiplayer is going to be in the game. Update 4 is when they are going to say 'alright it's finished. Take it out of Early Access'.
I do wonder if they're going to do anything special for Endless Day in Endless Space 2

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up Endless Legend while it was on sale, and does anyone have a good beginner's guide? I'm muddling along decently well as the Ardent Mages, but I'm unclear what I should be doing to make the most of things. I have Drakken and Vaulters for neighbors and both have been chill so far.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I tried playing a game of ES2 on easy, as I wanted to look at the United Empire. Their faction stuff is interesting, but I think either the AI is a bit broken this patch or easy is just...too easy. I was in era 4 and no other empire had made it to era 2. Also there was a memory leak or something that meant turns just no longer resolved after about turn 150, and would hang indefinitely. I reloaded it to force it to process a few turns but gave up after a while. Has anyone else had problems with that in the EA since the last patch?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Yeah I've had end turn hang ups a couple of times and I'm not at turn 20 yet. Looks like it's a known issue though https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/73-tech-support/thread/22242-known-issue-performance-issues-since-update-one

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I picked up Endless Legend while it was on sale, and does anyone have a good beginner's guide? I'm muddling along decently well as the Ardent Mages, but I'm unclear what I should be doing to make the most of things. I have Drakken and Vaulters for neighbors and both have been chill so far.

There should be a few effortposts in this very thread linked in the OP but the basics are:

1. Unlike Civ, you can't research everything. Even older techs get more expensive as you keep researching stuff. So prioritize. Also older-tier stuff tends to be more essential while later-tier stuff is more specialized.

2. Pursue your Main Faction quest to the best of your ability. It usually unlocks special nice stuff for you and is one of the paths to the ending of the game. Two, in fact. (The Wonder Ending requires you to build this gigantic thing that takes a buttload of production and time to finish, but once it's done, you win instantly, while the Quest ending requires a lot of running around to gather spaceship parts to get the hell off the planet).

3. Every faction is balanced by having one thing they do way, way better than everyone else. Wild Walkers are great at building stuff, etc. But you can tap into the strengths of other factions by buying heroes of other races; their racial abilities are pretty powerful either as battlefield generals or governors of a city. Get the Mercenary Market tech early on so you can buy heroes. Oh, and generally speaking, Cultist heroes make the BEST governors overall since they're geared towards maxing the productivity of a single, high-population city.

4. Heroes level up faster the more units they have under their command, they get XP per turn based on their minions. In a large formation as an army, or as a bunch of units in a garrison of the city they're a governor of. (Also, general heroes level up by killing stuff and searching ruins, and governor heroes level up by building stuff). The most important skill a hero can have is at the top center of the skill tree; it's called Cold Operator and winter-proofs their army/city, which is IMPORTANT since winter cripples armies and cities.

5. Approval. Unlike Civ 5, happiness is sort of a mix of global and local. Individual cities' Approval affects their Food and Industry, and the average happiness of your empire determines bonus Science and Dust. Approval goes down whenever you expand or overpopulate, but there are three ways to buff it up. One is by building districts so that one is next to three others; the negative approval for expansion starts turning positive. Another is by researching and building approval-boosting buildings like sewers and city markets; these are nice because they have bonus effects that kick in if your approval is already high, so they're never redundant. The third is luxury resources:

6. Luxury resources! Unlike Civ, you collect specific amounts of them per turn based on your extractors (or as lucky finds in quests and stuff) and you then manually click on them in the empire screen to burn them on a temporary boost. They all have different effects, but the collective one they all have is boosting approval. The more cities you have, the more luxuries you need to burn for a boost.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 28, 2016

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Same here, except I've been playing as the Wind Walkers first. The game is very good so far, but I do wish that it had more of a tutorial and a Civilopedia that I could actually read in game. Otherwise, I'm really liking it. The type of battle system EL uses is very novel (to me) for a 4X game and it's a refreshing change from Civ V. Likewise with the claiming of different regions with cities.

Thanks for the tips, Speedball. One of the things the tutorial didn't make clear to me was that I'm actually meant to be following the main faction quest. I've been playing it too Civ-ly so far and trying to make cities, build armies, and get loads of techs. I may start a new game with that in mind. How worthwhile are trying to build the legendary buildings or do the era tasks? Also, how do I increase my Influence points? The AI's diplomacy screens say they all have thousands of them but I keep finding myself at the times when it's time to make empire plans and I can't get enough to do anything with it. I've not been spending them, they're just accumulating really slowly.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Stabbatical posted:

One of the things the tutorial didn't make clear to me was that I'm actually meant to be following the main faction quest. I've been playing it too Civ-ly so far and trying to make cities, build armies, and get loads of techs. I may start a new game with that in mind. How worthwhile are trying to build the legendary buildings or do the era tasks? Also, how do I increase my Influence points? The AI's diplomacy screens say they all have thousands of them but I keep finding myself at the times when it's time to make empire plans and I can't get enough to do anything with it. I've not been spending them, they're just accumulating really slowly.

It's a totally valid strategy to play without completing or prioritizing the faction quest. It's more of a nice-to-have unless you're specifically gunning for that type of victory. When I get stuck with a 'capture this random city on the other side of the map' quests I know I'm probably not going to finish the questline in that game.

Legendary buildings are good, but not worth completely sidelining your best production cities for unless you can finish them quickly. I pretty much always get 2-4 of them as cultist, and usually get 1-2 of them as some of the more production-oriented factions (playing on the higher difficulties). If you can get all 5 it means you're probably running away with the game.

Unless you're the Cult, influence points tend to be more of a mid and late-game focus, as most of the buildings that provide influence are later in the tech tree relative to food/dust/industry/science. The empire plans are collectively very powerful, so the rewards for generating a lot of influence later in the game are substantial. Early game it's much less important than the other resources (for most strategies) unless you're the cult or drakken.

Seconding the importance of getting Cult heroes as city governors as fast as possible. They easily pay for themselves and when they start accumulating levels the bonuses are massive and help on everything you could possibly be doing with your cities. Research Marketplace and save up for that first hero asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
I find it helpful to think about techs not just in terms of what I want to prioritize, but also what techs I can do without. Some of them are crappy or simply not applicable to certain strategies (playing on a Pangea map? probably don't need those boat techs. Don't research strategic weapons/armor unless you have the resources to actually use them. The stockpile and buyout-bonus techs are also pretty strategy-dependent), and in those cases it's one less tech that you have to worry about. This is one of the areas where doing what works well in the Civ series doesn't really apply, and in fact can be counterproductive.