Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Shaggar posted:

its pretty good so far and I am probably going to advocate to roll it out in place of skype for b to all our users.

it basically is s4b deluxe so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its so much better than skype. its also apparently a totally separate thing cause skype for b sessions are handled differently from teams sessions. I suppose it could be skype for b on the server side but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its pretty good so far and I am probably going to advocate to roll it out in place of skype for b to all our users.

ya but you have a weird hard on for everything ms puts out. if you put out as much white noise as you here who's going to take you seriously?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

ya but you have a weird hard on for everything ms puts out. if you put out as much white noise as you here who's going to take you seriously?

what is this post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most of their stuff is pretty good or the least worst.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

most of their stuff is pretty good or the least worst.

ya, but it's actually pretty hit or miss with them. mostly miss.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I know you love mobile so get this hot mama

Surface phone

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shaggar posted:

its so much better than skype. its also apparently a totally separate thing cause skype for b sessions are handled differently from teams sessions. I suppose it could be skype for b on the server side but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.
a steaming turd would be better than skype

it's definitely a separate thing though because there's a long delay in chatting with s4b users

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

AAB posted:

I know you love mobile so get this hot mama

Surface phone

are you ready for KDE on your phone?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/kde-plasma-mobile-linux-smartphone-wars

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol no

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lolmg

quote:

Something nimbler, something less focused on being a “mainstream” contender that ticks all the boxes of millennial focus groups, could be better placed to succeed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

boy do I not like my Windows 10 VM rebooting randomly during the middle of the day to install updates

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

akadajet posted:

boy do I not like my Windows 10 VM rebooting randomly during the middle of the day to install updates

please remember that you, the end user, cannot be trusted to perform routine maintenance and security patching for your operating system. Microsoft will be handling this for you going forward.

also, please remember that you can designate your active hours under update settings.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're completely right though

The average user cannot be trusted to keep their computer updated, and that is the number one reason windows has a reputation for unpatched vulnerabilities

it's the right way forwards and you should accept it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, those stupid millenials and their desire for nonsense like "functionality" and "attractiveness".

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

The average user cannot be trusted to keep their computer updated, and that is the number one reason windows has a reputation for unpatched vulnerabilities

no one gives a poo poo that apple does it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

roll that vm back and turn it off.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sagebrush posted:

I wasn't being ironic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

you can't trust Microsoft to do it either. one of my computers has tried to apply the same update at least once a day for the last month. it always rolls back the update, doesn't provide an error code or anything to look up then tries again

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

please remember that you, the end user, cannot be trusted to perform routine maintenance and security patching for your operating system. Microsoft will be handling this for you going forward.

also, please remember that you can designate your active hours under update settings.
for about a month or two my computer ignored the active hours, but it just didn't reboot. it was good. in one of the recent insider track updates they've increased the "don't reboot my computer, i'm using it" period to 18 hours so it's only a matter of time before they allow the end-user to turn it off entirely

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

triple sulk posted:

no one gives a poo poo that apple does it

apple doesn't force updates. it annoys you with a notification, but it doesnt just start doing them without your permission

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

hobbesmaster posted:

you can't trust Microsoft to do it either. one of my computers has tried to apply the same update at least once a day for the last month. it always rolls back the update, doesn't provide an error code or anything to look up then tries again
there are some updates that will always fail and windows update will not take the hint:

i assume the reason is because i don't have visual studio 2010

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SupSuper posted:

there are some updates that will always fail and windows update will not take the hint:

vsto is separate from visual studio

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

have you tried running the free windows update repair tool that microsoft provides for download

SupSuper posted:

have you tried running the free windows update repair tool that microsoft provides for download

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

they've increased the "don't reboot my computer, i'm using it" period to 18 hours so it's only a matter of time before they allow the end-user to turn it off entirely

18 hours is a lot more reasonable than the current 12 hours.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah the 12 hour limit on active hours is just really loving dumb.

"should we make it so that the user can set the updates to exclusively happen over a window when they're likely to be asleep, like for a 6 hour period in the middle of the night or something?"
"nah"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
at one point it guessed based on your usage pattern but I guess that was too confusing or something. the 12 hr window probably includes time to download updates which is stupid cause it should just be install/update time. downloads should happen in the background all the time.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Last Chance posted:

apple doesn't force updates. it annoys you with a notification, but it doesnt just start doing them without your permission
you can also turn it all off in the settings. it's really good for if you don't want to be pushed an update that breaks some ancient software on your machine.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

at one point it guessed based on your usage pattern but I guess that was too confusing or something. the 12 hr window probably includes time to download updates which is stupid cause it should just be install/update time. downloads should happen in the background all the time.

no, the scheduling thing only kicks in when the update has been fully downloaded. otherwise it goes on in the background.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

you can also turn it all off in the settings. it's really good for if you don't want to be pushed an update that breaks some ancient software on your machine.

that's what restore ppints are for

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

trust in papa microsoft. he knows what's best.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The good thing about SFF systems becoming more popular is it might finally propel OEM's to design gaming systems that do-

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm surprised that anyone buys that garbage

i read one of those parts picking threads once and they were all gaga over some modular 200 dollar case that was superior for gaming or overclocking for some reason. i bought a 40 dollar black steel midtower and it's perfect

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

just get something that isn't a sheet metal death trap that has thumb screws, decent ventilation, and removable drive caddies and you're good to go.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i read one of those parts picking threads once and they were all gaga over some modular 200 dollar case that was superior for gaming or overclocking for some reason. i bought a 40 dollar black steel midtower and it's perfect

midtower where its at

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

just get something that isn't a sheet metal death trap that has thumb screws, decent ventilation, and removable drive caddies and you're good to go.

I like good sound proofing too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

that was some bad thread. top shelf cases are under $100 usually, with few exceptions around $150 for mid-full tower. the case variation boils down to cooling/bay/gpu requirements, and at a scale where that is relevant to maybe 1% of "dedicated gaming pc" purchases. rest of it is just general and visual design, and qol things like internal structure for cable management

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The good thing about SFF systems becoming more popular is it might finally propel OEM's to design gaming systems that do-

what the non Euclidean gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

what the non Euclidean gently caress
lenovo garbage. good case manufacturers are limited exclusively to corsair, cooler master, nzxt, and fractal design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
bitfenix too

• Locked thread