Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Randumb Thots posted:

Going back to film scores, my buddy and I were music majors in college and we went to see that awful Troy movie with Brad Pitt. One of the themes was taken note-for-note from a major theme in Shostakovich's fifth symphony. We both recognized it right away and laughed our asses off the rest of the movie at how shameless it was. Everyone else there with us was not so amused.

When he wasn't cannibalizing his own work, Horner was basically just ripping off Shostakovich and Prokofiev without any sense of shame. His Clear and Present Danger score is absolutely brazen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've loved Time's Arrow since I first saw it as a kid. :shrug:

Cool time travel episode IMO.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can love something while acknowledging that it is largely crap. How could you like Star Trek of all things and not learn that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Do not be tempted to vote for Anton Karidian on Tuesday. Romulan Wikileaks just dropped a bunch of emails and they mention something about a place called "Tarsus IV'.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I'm running through TNG again and it made me think of the movies and how they almost blew the presentation of the Enterprise-E.

First Contact: The E swoops in and saves an entire fleet against the Borg helping them destroy the cube. Then the E destroys a Sphere all on its own and in my opinion it led to a good ST movie. I understand some complaints, but I liked First Contact. I also loved the fact that they made the E a startlingly effective ship against the Borg because it played to the long term plot of Starfleet putting much more resources into weapons and defense in the aftermath of 359.

Insurrection: The E goes to the briar patch and almost gets destroyed by 2 ships of a rinky dink race no one has ever heard of and eventually Riker has to suck in gas from the warp nacelles and fart it out back to set it on fire to disable them. Also, the manual steering column? Ugh.

Still love the E though.

D > E/C > A > Original

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hello, lesser Star Trek Thread!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lesser?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Wait Star Trek is humanist so people don't believe in souls?

Has he even watched this show?

Timby posted:

Heck, Nick Meyer didn't have the money to license his preferred recording of The Planets, so he hired Cliff Eidelman to basically rip it off for Star Trek VI.

Hey, it worked for John Williams.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I'm on the 3rd season of TNG now and I don't remember the show being as touching and sentimental when I was a kid. The episode where Data creates and loses his child is pretty :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

Wait Star Trek is humanist so people don't believe in souls?

Has he even watched this show?

It's not like religion is a hugely outdated concept in the Federation, because(ignoring Kirk's one god line as early installment weirdness) Picard talks about the idea of an afterlife in equal terms at the end of Where Silence Has Lease.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
TOS mentions a god a couple times because if they went on TV in the 60s and said "There is no god," there would be NBC affiliates burning across the nation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Given that an entire movie hinged on Vulcans having souls I really have no problem with answering the ~transporter problem~ with "yeah souls are real in Star Trek and they follow the transporter beam, no big deal"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Given that an entire movie hinged on Vulcans having souls I really have no problem with answering the ~transporter problem~ with "yeah souls are real in Star Trek and they follow the transporter beam, no big deal"

And you can clone souls, going by Thomas Riker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In a universe where a wacky and super-specific virus affects the whole crew in a certain biological way and also manages to infect and happens to produce strikingly similar effects in the simulated personality of a computer robot,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Thomas Riker had no soul only godless science so he became evil QED

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It's usually that they have no idea how to stick the landing. The only Part IIs that are even remotely close to good are, like, Redemption, some of Best of Both Worlds, All Good Things... and Chain of Command.

All Good Things isn't a two-parter, it's just a double-length episode, which is probably a huge part of why it works better than most of the two-parters.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

It's been a while since I watched that episode but I like my idea that there's a parallel universe where Riker mysteriously and tragically vanished during transport. TOS established (and DS9 confirmed) that certain conditions can cause interdimensional fuckery.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Alternatively, it's just like the two Kirks from TOS and his soul got split into Romantic Riker and Pervy Riker.

Chromatic posted:

I'm on the 3rd season of TNG now and I don't remember the show being as touching and sentimental when I was a kid. The episode where Data creates and loses his child is pretty :smith:

Yeah, TNG Season 3 marks a revolution in Trek writing. It's pretty much the first time the whole ensemble started having consistent personal lives and distinct viewpoints. You can practically see the light bulb above Michael Piller's head light up when he realizes that drama can come from characters as well as space monsters.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

TOS mentions a god a couple times because if they went on TV in the 60s and said "There is no god," there would be NBC affiliates burning across the nation.

Hell, he tried to get a ride on the Enterprise once. Kirk wouldn't shut the gently caress up as to "why does god need a starship?" because walking around in space takes its toll after a few millennia!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Timby posted:

When he wasn't cannibalizing his own work, Horner was basically just ripping off Shostakovich and Prokofiev without any sense of shame. His Clear and Present Danger score is absolutely brazen.

Misread Horner as Homer and I thought you were making a concise point about the oral poetic tradition and how appropriate it is that Troy would feature recycled elements from older movies just as the Iliad featured recycled elements from older epics.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

All Good Things isn't a two-parter, it's just a double-length episode, which is probably a huge part of why it works better than most of the two-parters.

What, you're not a fan of the Michael "time for a summer vacation, we'll figure out how to break the cliffhanger when we get back" Piller method?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought that was a "I don't work here anymore, good luck" thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Magicks of Megas-Tu establishes the clear and apparent origin of all Earth religions, save perhaps Buddhism. It was space jerks. Satan is a good guy but he needed Kirk to help him beat the rap. Which he accomplished. Because it's Star Trek.

As for the Transporter Beam Thing, I'm gonna be the comic book guy: There is an episode of TNG where we get to have a direct in-camera view of the beaming process, and there is no loss of continuity, although apparently Barclay's screaming neurosis/transporter bug infection (spoilers) extended the period where you're in a shimmering nothingscape. However, considering that Barclay continued having sensory impressions, which were able to form memories and so on, during his transporter experience, he did not get killed and duplicated. QEB.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Cojawfee posted:

I thought that was a "I don't work here anymore, good luck" thing.

I thought that was an Enterprise Season 3 finale thing? Here's some Nazi Aliens gl, I'm out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So obviously this is a great commerical, except for the awkwardly edited shots of them laughing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Me and Pikestaff are now watching Enterprise. We're in season 2.

Jesus Christ.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WickedHate posted:

So obviously this is a great commerical, except for the awkwardly edited shots of them laughing.

It's great because it's like they were testing out some sort of live test of a new technology when in reality it's a scripted recording.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chromatic posted:

It's also perfect retread of The Child but without the space rape, as well as an appropriate follow-up to Measure of a Man.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Chain of Command may be the rarest of two-parters, where the second half is much better than the first.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been trying to find a Sci fi show I could get through while doing other work. Voyager us the only trek I haven't seen more then the first episode of. Is it worth working through or should I just be content watching this thread make fun of it?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

After The War posted:

It's also perfect retread of The Child but without the space rape, as well as an appropriate follow-up to Measure of a Man.

Agreed on both counts. But I wish they'd taken this opportunity to bring back Bruce Maddox; I would much rather have seen him deliver the line at the end about Data performing surgery.

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been trying to find a Sci fi show I could get through while doing other work. Voyager us the only trek I haven't seen more then the first episode of. Is it worth working through or should I just be content watching this thread make fun of it?

Voyager has some good eps in it. It also has a lot of eps that are bad in a very unpleasant manner and totally not worth watching. If you want a highlight of good ones, here's what I'd recommend to get you started:

S1
Caretaker
Phage
Eye of the Needle
Emanations
Prime Factors
State of Flux
Heroes and Demons
Learning Curve

S2
Projections
Non Sequitur
Cold Fire
Maneuvers
Prototype
Meld
Dreadnought
Death Wish
Lifesigns
Deadlock
Basics pt. I

S3
Basics pt. II
Flashback
The Swarm
False Profits
Future's End pt. I
Future's End pt. II
The Q and the Grey
Macrocosm
Fair Trade
Unity
Darkling
Before and After
Distant Origin
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion pt. I

Give that a try. They're not all great, but some of them are and the rest are decent-to-good.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Misread Horner as Homer and I thought you were making a concise point about the oral poetic tradition and how appropriate it is that Troy would feature recycled elements from older movies just as the Iliad featured recycled elements from older epics.

Glad it wasn't just me

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kingtheninja posted:

We make fun of Voyager because it deserves it, but there are some good episodes and most can be considered "Ehh, I'll watch it if it's on" tier. I say go for it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Voyager honestly grew on me as I watched it. It's far from the best Trek series but some of the episodes were pretty fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe with global warming and politics the way it's going Star Trek is going to turn out to have accurately predicted the time frame of WWIII, just the way it predicted iPads.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
On the plus side, maybe this will be incentive for Discovery to be even preachier than usual, since a majority of Americans apparently need to have those messages drilled into their skulls as bluntly as possible.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Where's that screencap of Bashir asking Sisko what went wrong in the 21st century and Sisko is just sitting there like :smith:

edit:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 9, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So when do the Sanctuary Districts open?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
We're one step closer to the post-atomic horror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Post-atomic horror for you maybe, I'm signing up for some sweet car upholstery armor and oxy nasal spray