Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Patattack posted:

After much last-minute stress, I finished my McCree costume just in time for the Halloween party weekend!

More pics showing detail here: http://imgur.com/gallery/FPR6b

Excuse me sir but do you have the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

hhhat posted:

Excuse me sir but do you have the time?

It is twelve o'clock precisely

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Today's costume wasn't as big but it was fün.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

So I was going to hit a parade last night, but ended up only doing a test run of the costume because some of the wiring/plumbing turned out to be a bit too jittery to really travel. I've got a pretty good sense of how to sort that out though.

I did manage to grab some pics of the test run, however.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Funhilde posted:

Today's costume wasn't as big but it was fün.

Ahahaha... awesome. And that picture layout was perfect. I swept from left to right confused, figured it out, then swept back from right to left. "Okay, that's Popeye, but wait a minute, Olive Oyl doesn't have red hair, and why is the baby dressed like... oh Peewee, and then Miss Yvonne, and then Captain Carl."

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon was a success! I planned my costume according to my current situation - Aegwynn, pregnant with Medivh. Not too many people got it until I told them, which was fine, as I tend to do costumes people don't recognize. But it was really fun running into all the Medivh cosplayers. The trio in the last pic I ran into so many times it became a joke. I'd yell out "My sons!" and they'd reply with a chorus of "Mom!" This was my most sewing intensive costume yet, and I am pleased at how well everything came together.

Also ran into a Junkrat who recognized me from here, but forgot to get their name. You looked amazing!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ah, you look fantastic!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tamir Lenk posted:

So I was going to hit a parade last night, but ended up only doing a test run of the costume because some of the wiring/plumbing turned out to be a bit too jittery to really travel. I've got a pretty good sense of how to sort that out though.

I did manage to grab some pics of the test run, however.

That looks great, and it looks like you got the mechanics mostly worked out. Very well done.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

I have resisted my urge to sink into a politics based funk and I'm getting pretty frickin excited for my finished Game of Thrones poo poo

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
That is sick as heeeelll!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Patattack posted:

That is sick as heeeelll!

Thank youuuuu I am seriously freaking out over how much I like it. I've never built something meant to look so realistic and I'm just so happy with the outcome! I did most of the final touches today, I'll probably darken the belt a little but here's the basically finished product:

Plus I put together the sheath, I need to add the attachment points and weather it but this is the basic idea

Also pictured is my husband sewing the overcoat hehe

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

What is dead may never die!:black101:

Been lurking this thread and wanted to say how awesome everyone in here is. I don't do cosplay but I run a comic con at my library and my coworker and I have been learning how to make props and what not to teach to our patrons. A lot of what I've learned has come from this thread, thanks all!

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I've been distracted since Halloween, but here's how Bast and Anubis turned out:

Everything but the dress and suit were made by hand. Three cheers for hot glue! Process photos here: http://coveredinglitterandscreaming.blogspot.com/2016/11/bast-and-anubis.html

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Those costumes look great. As a know nothing lurker, I was always wondering how do you add LEDs to head pieces without blinding your vision and don't they get hot?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Gamera009 and I won the costume contest we entered at a local sushi restaurant for Totoro. Going to eat so much sushi

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Alokgen posted:

Those costumes look great. As a know nothing lurker, I was always wondering how do you add LEDs to head pieces without blinding your vision and don't they get hot?

Looks like they used EL wire which stays cool and is nice and diffused so it isn't blinding. I just made a mask with it recently. Individual LEDs might be a bit more blinding, but I can imagine there must be some tricks.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Funhilde posted:

Gamera009 and I won the costume contest we entered at a local sushi restaurant for Totoro. Going to eat too much sushi

ftfy

For real, it is going to be a mind-numbing amount of sushi. Considering we are going to pay $50 a head and still come out with 2 of everything on the menu, I think this is a pretty good result.

Also, the costume was legit. Just need to figure out how to do the hands that can grab stuff so that I can actually hold a goddamn umbrella. And do it before Denver CC. :haw:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I bought one of these type of visors but I hadn't realised that the batteries are exposed at the sides.

I'm going to be wearing it for an extended period somewhere that could get warm, and am worried that if I sweat, it could damage the battery and connection. Can I just wrap the exposed battery portion in electrical tape for protection or would I need to do more than that to be sure?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

gamera009 posted:

ftfy

For real, it is going to be a mind-numbing amount of sushi. Considering we are going to pay $50 a head and still come out with 2 of everything on the menu, I think this is a pretty good result.

Also, the costume was legit. Just need to figure out how to do the hands that can grab stuff so that I can actually hold a goddamn umbrella. And do it before Denver CC. :haw:

It's a great Totoro. Enjoy your fishy rewards!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I bought one of these type of visors but I hadn't realised that the batteries are exposed at the sides.

I'm going to be wearing it for an extended period somewhere that could get warm, and am worried that if I sweat, it could damage the battery and connection. Can I just wrap the exposed battery portion in electrical tape for protection or would I need to do more than that to be sure?

Hey, I got the Citadel model to make a sentry visor for my Shepard cosplay! The batteries are on the outside of the visor and there's a fair amount of foam padding on the inside, so you'd have to be super sweaty for it to reach the battery. One option could be to cover it in more foam like I did here, the entire silver part slips on with a little loop on the inside. I wore it (indoors) to a convention all day and experienced no issues with some mild sweat.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You had one chance. You had one chance to say "I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite visor on the Citadel" smdh

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The visor's nice and all, but this is my favorite M-92 Mantis on the Citadel.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Does anybody have any good ideas for clear round tube that's about .75 outer diameter? I'm finding a decent amount of options but they're all just so expensive for shipping. I only need about a foot and in ~4" segments give or take so if I can avoid spending like $15 on it that'd be so killer.

e. working on this fine fellow, it's for the side tube thingers

Also I don't know if anybody is working on anything big this winter but if you are, Arda Wigs is doing a winter crafting contest if you submit WIPs and stuff and the grand prize is just MASSIVE, it's like 2 plane tickets/hotel rooms/passes or something like that to a convention of your choice off a list. So it might be worth checking out! I'm working alongside them and blogging on the contest tumblr so join me in my winter crafting extravaganza!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Would something like this: https://www.sciplus.com/p/CLEAR-ACRYLIC-TUBING_49616 work? It's a collection of various sized tubes and shipping seem cheap.

I've been brainstorming ideas for next Gencon and for my top 3 ideas I'll need to wear a wig. I have rather voluminous shoulder length hair, and have no idea if concealing it under a rather short wig would be possible. Does anyone have experience with something like that?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

McPantserton posted:

Does anybody have any good ideas for clear round tube that's about .75 outer diameter? I'm finding a decent amount of options but they're all just so expensive for shipping. I only need about a foot and in ~4" segments give or take so if I can avoid spending like $15 on it that'd be so killer.

Try a homebrewing/winemaking supply store if you have any nearby, they should have all kinds of tubing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Might be something available in clear pvc or clear tubing at the hardware store.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Maigius posted:

Would something like this: https://www.sciplus.com/p/CLEAR-ACRYLIC-TUBING_49616 work? It's a collection of various sized tubes and shipping seem cheap.

I've been brainstorming ideas for next Gencon and for my top 3 ideas I'll need to wear a wig. I have rather voluminous shoulder length hair, and have no idea if concealing it under a rather short wig would be possible. Does anyone have experience with something like that?

In the theater this is something that needs to be facilitated frequently. Most of the time French braids and a wig cap will be sufficient.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have been playing the gently caress out of Titanfall 2 and, as I do with things I am enamored with, I started making myself props and trinkets from it.

DATA KNIIIIFE

I actually already printed the first test version out, but it was a bit undersized for my liking.

I've got it set up so I can put a battery, arduino, switch, and a bunch of LEDs inside. Hopefully. Maybe.

Going to go to the local university to see if I can't get them to do some laser-etching on acrylic for me for the display that will be in the base of the handle.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hi there, long time cosplayer, first time poster.

My husband and I want to do Jessie and James. The first step, of course, was arguing over who got to be James. I lost.

He said he was going to build a Wheezing, so of course I got competitive and said that I would be building a life size Arbok. We're both very sweet people, I'm not even sure where this is coming from.

But Bulbapedia lists Arbok as 11 feet long, so this crap happened:

I have a ton of thick craft wire to hold the snake parts in place. That plus stuffing should make his body pretty functional. But what would you recommend to keep the cobra fin parts (you know, the part with a design) at least stiff and open? I was thinking thin foam, the green sort you find at JoAnns. Any other ideas or suggestions?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
McPantserson: Of all things, I found plastic test tubes (filled with binder clips or paper clips) at Michaels. They're about .95" around, and are $1.50 each. They're basically soda bottle preforms. If you can fudge the sizes a bit, that could work. I'm in Canada though, so availability and cost may be different.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

TwystNeko posted:

McPantserson: Of all things, I found plastic test tubes (filled with binder clips or paper clips) at Michaels. They're about .95" around, and are $1.50 each. They're basically soda bottle preforms. If you can fudge the sizes a bit, that could work. I'm in Canada though, so availability and cost may be different.

Ooh, that's a good idea! I ended up finding a length of tube on Amazon that worked (turns out Prime is a thing that means your shipping isn't horrendous, who knew!?) but that's just good to keep in mind in general.

Been a bit sluggish with the build thanks to the holidays but here are my fusion cores so far, hopefully will be bolting them to the base hammerhead this week:

The radioactive goo part is sculpted out of a sincerely bizarre resin clay called Tomei Clay, and the jars are peanut butter jars. I have so much peanut butter to eat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Baldman posted:

I have been playing the gently caress out of Titanfall 2 and, as I do with things I am enamored with, I started making myself props and trinkets from it.

DATA KNIIIIFE

I actually already printed the first test version out, but it was a bit undersized for my liking.

I've got it set up so I can put a battery, arduino, switch, and a bunch of LEDs inside. Hopefully. Maybe.

Going to go to the local university to see if I can't get them to do some laser-etching on acrylic for me for the display that will be in the base of the handle.

I don't even play titanfall and that's a badass knife. Any chance you can share the files?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've decided I want to try to be Squirrel Girl for Denver Comic Con. Main concern I have would be the teeth. Wondering if they could be done with 3D printing.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could, but there are already tons of costume fake buck teeth online for dirt cheap, and not necessarily the ridiculous gross rubber hillbilly ones. Then you wouldn't have to worry about post-processing the striations or dealing with accidentally ingesting paint/resin/whatever. And no matter what, costume teeth will make talking awkward.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

TunaSpleen posted:

You could, but there are already tons of costume fake buck teeth online for dirt cheap, and not necessarily the ridiculous gross rubber hillbilly ones. Then you wouldn't have to worry about post-processing the striations or dealing with accidentally ingesting paint/resin/whatever. And no matter what, costume teeth will make talking awkward.

Yeah. I imagine she has a strange voice anyways. I'll do a little search I guess. The rest of the costume is easy because it is just sewing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Woo, my silly hammer is ready for grunge!

I love this goofy rear end thing. Still have only made it through about half of the peanut butter I bought to make the fusion cores haha.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

McPantserton posted:

I love this goofy rear end thing. Still have only made it through about half of the peanut butter I bought to make the fusion cores haha.

I'm always impressed with your work McPantserton. That looks badass.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McPantserton posted:

That looks pretty :krad:

Hey, do you have that photo of you in the WH40K armor with the cigar in your mouth? One of my supervisors is a huge 40K nerd and I was telling him about your armor cosplay, and it didn't feel right showing him your work without that photo included. Unless I missed it, it wasn't in your post history.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Ayyy thanks guys :D

neogeo0823 posted:

That looks pretty :krad:

Hey, do you have that photo of you in the WH40K armor with the cigar in your mouth? One of my supervisors is a huge 40K nerd and I was telling him about your armor cosplay, and it didn't feel right showing him your work without that photo included. Unless I missed it, it wasn't in your post history.

You're thinking of StarCraft actually! Still marines but different properties. Here it is anyway, though. Or at least one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Noticed someone working on a Widow cosplay from Overwatch. What got me interested though, was how you would go about making a functional gun. Not one that shoots obviously, but that does the transformation. It looks like you have 2 cowls around the barrel that move up and down. A barrel that extends and retracts. and a scope/cowl that move up and down. The cowls look like a single RC servo could move them easily enough. But the barrel, and possibly scope look like you'd need a linear gear and motor. On a whim, I designed a mechanism that would do the cowls and barrel on one servo, but it takes an arc the diameter of the retraction you want.

Don't mind the red line being attached to the wrong side of the servo horn. The idea is to give a 10:1 movement ration on the barrel:cowl.

Reference drawing:

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 23, 2017