Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Radish posted:

Gonna suck for Whitey McChristian when she can't go across state lines because she made abortion illegal in her state but not the one over when it's gone nationwide. The rich can leave the country for a "vacation" but most Republicans can't do that so easily.

Upside of this: at least the age demographics of the nation wouldn't become like Japan thanks to the lack of immigrants under new policies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

climate change and the lack of infrastructure to combat it will thankfully take out much of the rural US as well in the next 30 years.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

Keep calling the people who voted for trump evil and stupid

It's worked for you so far :rms:

Yeah did you quote the wrong thing?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

There's no way to frame realistic policy in the terms of "bring everything back to 1950" that these people want to hear.

There is, its called "talking to them", so a Democrat politician would have to somehow go and meet them, maybe even live amongst them for a time. Come to know their ways. Adopt some of their culture and perhaps belong with them. Help at barbecues, church/community events, get them involved with events locally to improve things. Then build up from there as a base of trust.

Instead of you know, driving in from wherever and saying a bunch of poo poo about laws. The left has no local base with the people they want to help in rural cases.

Otherwise, you get pepes in the mist.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

steinrokkan posted:

lol

seek help

That the best you got?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats one thing everyone has in common

work

whats one thing everyone wishes the ycould be

rich

gee golly how did trump become president when he connects with every single voter?!?!?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Magic posted:

I disagree. It worked really well up until the eighties when Dems rapidly ran away from the working class.

Uh, what? That's the opposite of what they did in the 80s.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Demographics is inherently long game, dude. Black people have lived through poo poo before, we'll live through this poo poo as well. See you in 2040 provided you don't die from the lack of some basic care robbed from us by white people's staggering stupidity.

These meltdowns are hilarious

Screaming and crying into the abyss about how your corrupt leaders failed you

Keep crying, maybe one day you'll learn

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sylink posted:

There is, its called "talking to them", so a Democrat politician would have to somehow go and meet them, maybe even live amongst them for a time. Come to know their ways. Adopt some of their culture and perhaps belong with them. Help at barbecues, church/community events, get them involved with events locally to improve things. Then build up from there as a base of trust.

Instead of you know, driving in from wherever and saying a bunch of poo poo about laws. The left has no local base with the people they want to help in rural cases.

Otherwise, you get pepes in the mist.

Uh. I don't think Becoming Joe Biden is going to be sufficient, and frankly further still I don't want to be ruled by white straight men forever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Linux Rig posted:

Keep calling the people who voted for trump evil and stupid

It's worked for you so far :rms:

Why does it matter what we call them? They wouldn't have voted for Clinton even if we had coddled them like the fragile children they are. So why shouldn't we treat them as the reprehensible pieces of poo poo that they are?

The only value they have any more is to be yelled at for catharsis, and it's honestly more than they deserve.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Knight posted:

I love how quick leftists are to minimize racism.

"Oh they just don't agree with us, why are you so close-minded?"

The Democrats can't win elections over the long term if ~30% of Hispanic and Asian voters are voting against them. Like, that's really it. Any talk about changing demographics and a majority minority electorate is meaningless if those minorities are in defecting in any significant numbers.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing racism or trying to downplay how horrible this result is and how much of the blame rests on white voters, but the people saying that you can't call every single Trump voter an irredeemable racist and still win elections are absolutely right. You have to peel at least some of those people off somehow to have a functional coalition.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

My Linux Rig posted:

It's not a melt down though? If you weren't a poo poo posting tourist you'd know, "We're gonna have to save America from you white people. Thank god for demographics." Has been a constant refrain of... pretty much all PoC posters in D&D.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Everyone I'm just gunna say this straight out:

Do not fall into their trap. Every two years my city council changes and the way stuff gets done is by not making things a fight about ideology. You do the good works and justify it on economics and fiscal responsibility and people don't bat an eye. If you want to enact a progressive ideology globally you make local and tangible results by having things done the right way that's considerate of the consequences of the marginalized. It works.

Telling the rust belt oh well NAFTA happened doesn't fix it. I'm seriously considering a letter writing campaign to Trump explaining to him that if he focuses on building things he could be the greatest president of the 21st century, it feeds his ego perfectly and if he's doing that instead of dunking in the culture war we might even come out ahead.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

climate change and the lack of infrastructure to combat it will thankfully take out much of the rural US as well in the next 30 years.

Climate change wont do much damage directly to the American mid-country, we have the technology for the farm country here and the risk is much lower than the poorer parts of the world. Its not great but not the worst possible, search up a risk map.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Captain Magic posted:

I disagree. It worked really well up until the eighties when Dems rapidly ran away from the working class.

Part of talking to people and understanding their fears is actually altering policies and candidates based on these things, and the Democrats failed to do this in a good enough fashion.

I'm an actual liberal so I have baseline respect and goodwill towards people and genuinely wish them well, and believe that other humans are deserving of the dignity not to be referred to in large swaths as thoughtless animals.

They are scared people and deserve respect. Hating them is self-harmful.

Not actively indulging in hatred of the Other is not running away from the working class. Efforts to court those voters has been attempted in the past, and the response has been swiftboating, birtherism, and all manner of awful garbage.

The difference now is that these people finally have the candidate that perfectly encapsulates their fear and hatred, and doesn't shush them when they start foaming at the mouth. So they turned out to vote for exactly what they wanted.

Also, you're right. Shouldn't compare those people to animals. Animals are much more pleasant as a rule.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Paradoxish posted:

The Democrats can't win elections over the long term if ~30% of Hispanic and Asian voters are voting against them. Like, that's really it. Any talk about changing demographics and a majority minority electorate is meaningless if those minorities are in defecting in any significant numbers.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing racism or trying to downplay how horrible this result is and how much of the blame rests on white voters, but the people saying that you can't call every single Trump voter an irredeemable racist and still win elections are absolutely right. You have to peel at least some of those people off somehow to have a functional coalition.

I don't disagree with anything in this post except that it's realistic that we even could peel off people.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think it matters what we do, I don't think we can realistically get those people to chose good policy over team identity and racism. I disagree that white people flipping massively R is a temporary thing. I think this is the new normal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

Why does it matter what we call them? They wouldn't have voted for Clinton even if we had coddled them like the fragile children they are. So why shouldn't we treat them as the reprehensible pieces of poo poo that they are?

The only value they have any more is to be yelled at for catharsis, and it's honestly more than they deserve.

Why did you even bother running a candidate if you are absolutely certain that 50% of Americans can't have their minds changed, and will always pick the Wrong option. Also, was Romney right about the 47% thing?

The amount of people who choose not to understand politics on this day is hilarious.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jwang posted:

I'm glad marijuana's been legalized. We're going to need a lot of it in the coming months to stay calm.

This is definitely a place the dems could use to bounce back. It definitely helps with Millennials. Likewise maybe remember that all workers want dignity.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Who What Now posted:

I can already hear the goon tears in 2020

"I can't believe he won again! Won't those evil Republicans ever learn?! :sadfan:"

Keep it up cuck, we'll see just how tired they are of people like you

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

You seem to have all the answers. So, get to it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Uh. I don't think Becoming Joe Biden is going to be sufficient, and frankly further still I don't want to be ruled by white straight men forever.

Talking to people isn't restricted to white men did you know?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

This is definitely a place the dems could use to bounce back. It definitely helps with Millennials. Likewise maybe remember that all workers want dignity.

They don't deserve dignity if they are traitors to a party that itself proudly proclaims it doesn't represent them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

I can already hear the goon tears in 2020

"I can't believe he won again! Won't those evil Republicans ever learn?! :sadfan:"

Keep it up cuck, we'll see just how tired they are of people like you

Yeah remind me why is a crashed economy going to win Trump the election. Look I know you're a subhuman sociopath, but I want to hear your justification.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sylink posted:

Talking to people isn't restricted to white men did you know?

No but I don't think white voters in general would go for a non-white straight dude at this point.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

It's not a melt down though? If you weren't a poo poo posting tourist you'd know, "We're gonna have to save America from you white people. Thank god for demographics." Has been a constant refrain of... pretty much all PoC posters in D&D.

Bullshit, I would not be surprised if a good portion of the minority vote actually went to trump

You'll learn though, trump will show you the way

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcZTTB10_Vo

Got a new CG Grey video outta this at least.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glazier posted:

Lets also be clear here, most if not all of the ire at LGBT people is going to hit Trans people. Sure there will probably be another anti-gay hate crime in a rural area that gains national attention, but that was going to happen anyway. What's going to suck is the entire power of the Federal and GOP controlled governments coming down on trans people, especially trans POC.

Cool. I'm going to loving die.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sylink posted:

Climate change wont do much damage directly to the American mid-country, we have the technology for the farm country here and the risk is much lower than the poorer parts of the world. Its not great but not the worst possible, search up a risk map.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the risk map assumes a president & federal gvt that believes CC is an invention.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

No but I don't think white voters in general would go for a non-white straight dude at this point.

I give up because my gut tells me it wouldnt work.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Like Obama.

The only people I hate for this election is the boomers. Let the battalions of fear die alone with no healthcare or social security.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lightning Knight posted:

Look I don't like the "yeah gently caress the rural poor" crowd. I don't like that we just let a bunch of people languish in poverty for no reason.

What I want to know is, who is going to run who will connect with these people? Remember we can't get them to vote downballot, even Obama 2.0. will fail because there won't be congressional support for them. "Ivory tower elitist" is a stupid dog whistle for "people who dare to be more educated than me" and if these people really care more about making GBS threads on educated people and immigrants than bettering their lives what do we do about that?

We had the. Greatest. Campaigner. In. Our. Lifetimes and he couldn't do it. Who the gently caress else will save America from its own stupidity?

lets be fair to the man and admit that it turns out Trump was the greatest campaigner in our lifetimes

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
did I hear correctly last night and did Hillary not visit Wisconsin once since the primaries were over?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
The funniest thing about this is that Democrats were so sure that the electoral college and the minorities would save them

Lol to be stabbed in the back by the very thing you thought would save you

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
It doesn't help that the Clinton campaign strategy was just baffling. They didn't spend any time at all in the Midwest states- virtually none after the convention- and just operated on 'common sense' that, of course, those states would vote blue, and it cost her the election.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

Like Obama.

The only people I hate for this election is the boomers. Let the battalions of fear die alone with no healthcare or social security.

That poo poo's going to affect everyone down the line, too.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

lets be fair to the man and admit that it turns out Trump was the greatest campaigner in our lifetimes

trump literally proved that every single thing we thought you needed in a modern campaign was actually useless. that's insane to think about

fundraising? doesnt matter
gotv? doesnt matter
winning debates? dont matter

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Linux Rig posted:

The funniest thing about this is that Democrats were so sure that the electoral college and the minorities would save them

Lol to be stabbed in the back by the very thing you thought would save you

Minorities didn't vote as a group for Trump, gently caress off.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Viral Warfare posted:

It doesn't help that the Clinton campaign strategy was just baffling. They didn't spend any time at all in the Midwest states- virtually none after the convention- and just operated on 'common sense' that, of course, those states would vote blue, and it cost her the election.

I think the strategy made sense with the info they had, however polling was completely off this time around and turnout seems to have been down as a whole.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Why did you even bother running a candidate if you are absolutely certain that 50% of Americans can't have their minds changed, and will always pick the Wrong option. Also, was Romney right about the 47% thing?

The amount of people who choose not to understand politics on this day is hilarious.

Because I underestimated just how deep and widespread the cancer in this country is. Everybody did.

steinrokkan posted:

They don't deserve dignity if they are traitors to a party that itself proudly proclaims it doesn't represent them. irredeemable bigots who loathe minorities more than they care about keeping their jobs.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BiohazrD posted:

trump literally proved that every single thing we thought you needed in a modern campaign was actually useless. that's insane to think about

fundraising? doesnt matter
gotv? doesnt matter
winning debates? dont matter

Yeah the one good thing about this election is now I know donating and volunteering are total wastes. Yay for saving time and money.

• Locked thread