Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't check your 401k balances tomorrow.

Worth it. :smugdon:

Maybe it will be back up within a week like Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was tempted to move everything to a cash position before the election, but then realized that's a lot of work and I'm not retiring for 20 more years.

Just think guys, all our contributions are buying even more for the next few weeks before the world realizes how unimportant and ineffectual modern American Presidents really are.

poo poo...I just realized the 'Trump Doctrine' is probably going to be a real thing that my grandkids get thought in school at some point.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was tempted to move everything to a cash position before the election, but then realized that's a lot of work and I'm not retiring for 20 more years.

Just think guys, all our contributions are buying even more for the next few weeks before the world realizes how unimportant and ineffectual modern American Presidents really are.

poo poo...I just realized the 'Trump Doctrine' is probably going to be a real thing that my grandkids get thought in school at some point.

If only I waited to max my ROTH :qq:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Don't worry, your 401k will be meaningless after the bombs fall. Nuclear vaporization is very GWM

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Moneyball posted:

Maybe it will be back up within a week like Brexit.

That would be too soon for my December contributions to buy the dip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Don't worry, your 401k will be meaningless after the bombs fall. Nuclear vaporization is very GWM

This is like playing Civilization and the Babylonians just announced they got nuclear weapons.

Are politics good with money? Are the Trumps exchanging real estate and endorsements to become the next Kennedys?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
US indices up a fraction after futures brushed -5% last night, lol. Case in point: don't make rash moves with your portfolio almost no matter what.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I liquidated my 401k last night. poo poo.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Lol if you were conscious last night and not self medicating with whiskey and crying into a pillow.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wow. Markets are up.

I mean, of course they are up. A caricature of capitalism just got elected President. But I figured we'd have a week or two of BREXIT level despair.

Welcome to the New America. Very similar to the Old America.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I liquidated my 401k last night. poo poo.

drat, man. Hopefully you're still relatively young and can bounce back.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If it makes you feel better, maybe in 2 years a republican senate, house, presidency, and supreme court will replicate the kansas experiment nation-wide and this could be the mother of all bull traps that you deftly avoided :v:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Gorman Thomas posted:

Lol if you were conscious last night and not self medicating with whiskey and crying into a pillow.

Celebrating with bourbon and cuddling the pillow.

There should be some good r/personalfinance BWM stories after people panic sell at the market dip.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I definitely sold some US-focused index funds this morning. Oh well, I'm still expecting a dip sometime before January. At least it was just my brokerage account! I'm not dumb enough to touch my retirement accounts.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My hot tip for not emotionally loving with my accounts: i forgot the password a while ago and it's too much of a pain in the rear end to reset it :downs:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

My hot tip for not emotionally loving with my accounts: i forgot the password a while ago and it's too much of a pain in the rear end to reset it :downs:

this is a very good tip!

also does anyone who's better with money (also abbreviated BWM, Confusing!) than I am have a crystal ball about what home mortgage rates are likely to be for the next 5 years to refi my 5/1? Thanks in advance.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow. Markets are up.

I mean, of course they are up. A caricature of capitalism just got elected President. But I figured we'd have a week or two of BREXIT level despair.

Welcome to the New America. Very similar to the Old America.

They're only up 1% this morning because they dropped 5% last night. Markets dropped in aggregate.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Only futures dropped, the market itself wasn't affected because it was closed.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DMCrimson posted:

They're only up 1% this morning because they dropped 5% last night. Markets dropped in aggregate.

You probably should not day trade or anything like that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Come on guys, maybe he was trading in Hong Kong.

Markets make no sense. They went up when we thought Hillary would win. They went up even more when they realized Republicans would keep Congress. Futures drop like a brick when Trump is elected, but then the market goes up even more when the bell rings. So we've had 3 days of UPUPUP and nothing has really changed. It's like the market didn't care who won, just so long as the world didn't end on Election night.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Come on guys, maybe he was trading in Hong Kong.

Markets make no sense. They went up when we thought Hillary would win. They went up even more when they realized Republicans would keep Congress. Futures drop like a brick when Trump is elected, but then the market goes up even more when the bell rings. So we've had 3 days of UPUPUP and nothing has really changed. It's like the market didn't care who won, just so long as the world didn't end on Election night.

Either that or the market is waiting until inauguration day, or the little hamster that pulls the levers that decide which direction the market goes today wasn't paying attention to the news

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Either that or the market is waiting until inauguration day, or the little hamster that pulls the levers that decide which direction the market goes today wasn't paying attention to the news

"Mumpsie the Investment Hamster" would be a great idea for an actively managed fund. Just have two food dispensers set up for each major holding and buy/sell whichever Mumpsie ran to that morning.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm bad with money because I last minute bet a sizable amount I definitely shouldn't have on Hillary. I'll be fine but it definitely stings a bit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm bad with money because I last minute bet a sizable amount I definitely shouldn't have on Hillary. I'll be fine but it definitely stings a bit.

Ouch. I had entertained the idea myself, it seemed like a sure thing.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Mumpsie the Investment Hamster" would be a great idea for an actively managed fund. Just have two food dispensers set up for each major holding and buy/sell whichever Mumpsie ran to that morning.

Wasn't there a guy that did almost exactly this as an experiment? Except probably with rats.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

brainwrinkle posted:

I definitely sold some US-focused index funds this morning. Oh well, I'm still expecting a dip sometime before January. At least it was just my brokerage account! I'm not dumb enough to touch my retirement accounts.

Yeah...we have a rule here at our house. Unless we are 65+, nothing ever is coming out or is to be liquidated in the retirement accounts. Money goes in, and that's about it. No matter HOW bad it gets...we only touch the accounts to put money in. No liquidating, no removal, nothing. They are the Vanguard targeted retirement funds...if we leave it alone it should be fine as long as we follow this rule.

We have emergency funds for taking out cash if needed...the retirement funds are NOT for now.

That being said, my husband's coworker liquidated ALL of his retirement accts last night in a frenzied panic after hearing the markets dropped due to Trump. :( He isn't very happy about that in the light of day...and neither is his wife who just found out what he did this afternoon. She called me in a rage to have me talk her off the ledge (and keep her from committing a felony on his person). She is slightly less ticked off after our talk, but if I were in his shoes I would stay away from sharp pointy objects and high cliffs for a while. Not to mention he may want to sleep with one eye open.

My husband, when I called him to tell him about his idiot coworker, made sure I knew he had been a good man and would never EVER touch the accts without talking to me first. I am so glad the threats have somewhat worked :p

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 10, 2016

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Disco Salmon posted:

That being said, my husband's coworker liquidated ALL of his retirement accts last night in a frenzied panic after hearing the markets dropped due to Trump. :( He isn't very happy about that in the light of day...and neither is his wife who just found out what he did this afternoon. She called me in a rage to have me talk her off the ledge (and keep her from committing a felony on his person). She is slightly less ticked off after our talk, but if I were in his shoes I would stay away from sharp pointy objects and high cliffs for a while. Not to mention he may want to sleep with one eye open.

If his retirement accounts are all mutual funds, like most accounts, the trades only process once per day. So even if he did it last night, it probably didn't trade until the close today.

His wife can probably put stuff back in now, miss whatever tomorrow's performance ends up being, and be fine. I'll go ahead and predict that tomorrow Trump appoints Sarah Palin as defense secretary and his favorite sock as secretary of state, so they could end up ahead of the game.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Ouch. I had entertained the idea myself, it seemed like a sure thing.

I had dollar signs in my eyes and holy poo poo can it get away from you very quickly on a "sure thing"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This can't be real... Can it?

I [23M] was in a findom arrangement with [20s F]. I ended the arrangement months ago, and now she is back trying to blackmail me for money

quote:

I will start this by explaining what findom is. Findom means "financial domination" where I was the male submissive who had to pay to be dominated by the "Goddess" as she called herself.

This started around May this year and didn't last long, only a couple of weeks. I had been interested in findom for awhile, and now had quite a bit of cash to spend I thought I would give it a go. I contacted a findom model on instagram on my real account (first mistake I made) and we agreed to an arrangement. I paid her, she dominated me. I wasn't very interested in the arrangement and didn't enjoy it as I just seemed to be spending money and didn't really get much in return.

A part of findom I would like to add sometimes is blackmail, we discussed this and I told her that I wouldn't like to be blackmailed as I don't want my family/friends/job to find out about this, so no blackmail in our arrangement. So, when I decided that this wasn't for me I just told her that I was fired from my job and couldn't afford it anymore, she never replied to me, I had no money, I understood.

However just these past couple of weeks I started receiving payment requests frequently from her on paypal. At first I just cancelled it, but she kept sending them, so I messaged her. She told me that she had spied on my facebook profile recently since I was one of her most generous customers and saw that I have a job now, so I have to pay her again. I told her that I'm not interested in this anymore and won't be paying her anything. This is when she started the blackmail threats, she threatened to send my messages etc to my family and friends on facebook if I didn't pay up.

Now the big problem is, I'm from the UK, she's from the US so I don't think I'd get anywhere legally, but I want to resolve this situation without actually paying any money and without my family/friends/job seeing my sexual activity. Any ideas how I can stop this?

tl;dr: Was in a findom arrangement a few months ago, didn't enjoy it and ended the arrangement by lying and saying I got fired. Findom girl spied on me recently and has tried to blackmail me for money, can't do anything legally because we live in different countries. What can I do to get rid of her?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Findom is definitely one of the best scams. It's not just paying her to dom you, that would just be a regular ol' pro domme, it's getting off on having her tell you how to use your money and making you buy her stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Findom is definitely one of the best scams. It's not just paying her to dom you, that would just be a regular ol' pro domme, it's getting off on having her tell you how to use your money and making you buy her stuff.

So.....a wife?

haaachachacha!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

So.....a wife?

haaachachacha!

A wife without any of the benefits.

Apparently after the election there are more people wanting to move to New Zealand. I don't know that making decisions like this based on a single election result is good with money.

quote:

Immigration typically received about 3000 registrations each month via the New Zealand Now website from US nationals interested in studying, working or investing in New Zealand. In the past 24 hours, 7287 registrations had been received from American citizens – more than twice the number of a typical month's registrations.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/us-election-2016/86318100/are-americans-actually-going-to-move-to-nz

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Apparently after the election there are more people wanting to move to New Zealand. I don't know that making decisions like this based on a single election result is good with money.

You guys seem pretty low on the target list in a nuclear holocaust, and you speak English. Seems like a good place to try and hide from the end of the world.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Droo posted:

You guys seem pretty low on the target list in a nuclear holocaust, and you speak English. Seems like a good place to try and hide from the end of the world.

Also has water unlike Australia I assume?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Feet stomping sore losers are ruining it for people who legitimately want to move to there, Canada, Australia etc.

Same goes for Trump supporters if Hilldawg took it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I would like to travel to NZ before deciding to move there, but one of my friends visited there and thought it was "the only civilized country [he's] ever been to."

I lived in Canada before and it was great, but moving to Vancouver is very BWM since the housing there is more ridiculous than just about anywhere in America.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm seriously considering moving to NZ now actually but I picked it since my SO has dual citizenship there, making it B[etter]WM than alternatives. You hosed up real bad yesterday America and we no longer feel safe or at all welcome or wanted here, great job!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

I'm seriously considering moving to NZ now actually but I picked it since my SO has dual citizenship there, making it B[etter]WM than alternatives. You hosed up real bad yesterday America and we no longer feel safe or at all welcome or wanted here, great job!

We tried :(

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was considering leaving, but now it's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Electrical Fire posted:

Wasn't there a guy that did almost exactly this as an experiment? Except probably with rats.

Please, it was a cat.

The investors did beat the schoolchildren included in the experiment so they can be proud of that.

• Locked thread