Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

xthetenth posted:

Same name on steam skype and discord and no problems being a slush fund for good posters, just in case.

I am immensely flattered but I shall hear my credit card debt with honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Vote me as your black vigilante IK and I will make these forums great again.

I give you NH's pittance of electoral votess toward your IK election. :sun:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
In silver lining news my town did get enough voters out to unseat our really awful sheriff. Not a PoC, unfortunately, but a lady who want to crack down on macho culture and hire more Black officer :unsmith:

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Need to take exit polls with a pinch of salt, but the NYT's polls have the LGBT vote breaking 78% for Clinton, 14% for Trump, 8% third-party. What the gender/ethnic tabs on that look like, I don't know.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing.

apparently some slackchat got set up during one the debates, and it's just stuck around?
i don't know, my past experience with off-site SA chats is that they breed cliquey behavior so i try to avoid

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's how I got unprobed for my (superior to exmarx's in every) election thread.

Edit- woops. Sorry to poo poo up negrotown with my white nonsense. ;)

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 9, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah and it's super lovely that one of the admins and mods of DnD takes part in an offsite clique, btw.

e: Yeah sorry this isn't the place for this.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

how in the sweet gently caress did any trans person vote to make MIKE PENCE the vice president? he who wants to electrocute the queer out of them? gently caress this entire earth.

I don't loving know. Every trans person I've talked to is terrified for our safety. How the gently caress do you even loving vote Trump, even if you're incredibly selfish? The trans thread's a somber affair now beyond privileged poster saying it won't be too bad.

Koalas March posted:

You sure as hell have my vote.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Ta Nehisi Coates next Atlantic article is going to be titled "gently caress Reparations. If They're Scared of Revenge, Let's Give Them Revenge" :smith:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Thanks Maj. I know we've had our problems but you've come a long way.

Man, can you imagine if there was some kind of small, forums related microcosmic version of this? That would be wild.

this is me telling white folks this poo poo has been going on a long time, goes in HERE and when we told yall, you didn't believe us.

I believed you, but I didn't *believe* you. I thought it was a minority of white America. I should not have been so naive. I know people who will die because of this election. If I get sick, I'll probably be one of them. I am so scared for my friends.

Okay, music chat: this has been my listening today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUWoy9--oA

Did these guys used to be Jurassic 5? It sounds really similar and I love it. I will always love Jet Set/Grind radio for introducing me to so much good music.

Koalas March posted:

KM for god queen

edit: lol my new title, I voted Hilary, I'm no dummy. I just thought she was a lock.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 9, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny watching white people on this site try to explain Trumps victory as anything other than a vote on white supremacy. There isn't a SINGLE issue that Trump is better on for any subgroup, except ONE:

White nationalism and white supremacy, and it's the most powerful plank. Goldwater knew it, its how the Southern Strategy worked. They dogwhistle promised that restoration of white supremacy and white people emptied their pockets and their towns to try and get that promise fulfilled, and Trump came along and explicitly promised it.

White people did this, and no one else. The fact that white people cant own the poo poo that's directly in their faces gives me no hope that the basic nature of white America has changed since the 1700s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

negromancer posted:

It's funny watching white people on this site try to explain Trumps victory as anything other than a vote on white supremacy. There isn't a SINGLE issue that Trump is better on for any subgroup, except ONE:

White nationalism and white supremacy, and it's the most powerful plank. Goldwater knew it, its how the Southern Strategy worked. They dogwhistle promised that restoration of white supremacy and white people emptied their pockets and their towns to try and get that promise fulfilled, and Trump came along and explicitly promised it.

White people did this, and no one else. The fact that white people cant own the poo poo that's directly in their faces gives me no hope that the basic nature of white America has changed since the 1700s.

Eh, I mean, looking at it in the context of the rest of the world I don't really find "white people are just inherently awful and that explains everything" to be sufficient. Yes white supremacist is an entirely accurate descriptor of Trump and his policies but the fact that last election America voted for a black president suggests that unless you transplanted a rather large amount of the electorate's brains in the intervening 4 years, white supremacism might be a symptom more than an immutable cause.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I mean, looking at it in the context of the rest of the world I don't really find "white people are just inherently awful and that explains everything" to be sufficient. Yes white supremacist is an entirely accurate descriptor of Trump and his policies but the fact that last election America voted for a black president suggests that unless you transplanted a rather large amount of the electorate's brains in the intervening 4 years, white supremacism might be a symptom more than an immutable cause.

Neither candidate was running on naked white nationalism, though they absolutely could have, considering the things that were getting shouted out at rallies in 2008 and 2012.

If they did, we would still have Senator Obama.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

It's because a lot of white districts and counties that went Trump this time went for Obama last time, and if there's anything white people are sure of, it's that having voted for a black guy makes them not racist, regardless of what happened between those votes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Considering they votes for the guy preaching racism and white nationalism they are loving racists supporting white supremacy.

I don't give a gently caress about old voting habits.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Are the reports that Trump got a higher number of Black and Latino voters than Romney true? If so, what the hell happened?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

I believed you, but I didn't *believe* you. I thought it was a minority of white America. I should not have been so naive. I know people who will die because of this election. If I get sick, I'll probably be one of them. I am so scared for my friends.

Okay, music chat: this has been my listening today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUWoy9--oA

Did these guys used to be Jurassic 5? It sounds really similar and I love it. I will always love Jet Set/Grind radio for introducing me to so much good music.

They're not Jurassic 5, but they're not a million miles apart, and Chalie 2na from Jurassic 5 is on one of the tracks, 4000 Miles I think. Also I think Cut Chemist from J5 produces a track on Blazing Arrow. Their styles are not dissimilar.

Blackalicious are part of the Quannum bay area collective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quannum_Projects and Jurassic 5 are from LA. However Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow (who is also part of Quannum) have worked together many times.

Definitely a similar sort of vibe, but Blackalicious is Gift of Gab and Chief Xcel - and they have a new album out and are still touring, caught them in Chicago a few weeks ago and they rocked it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Definitely a similar sort of vibe, but Blackalicious is Gift of Gab and Chief Xcel - and they have a new album out and are still touring, caught them in Chicago a few weeks ago and they rocked it.

gently caress, wish I knew, I would have gone to that show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Are the reports that Trump got a higher number of Black and Latino voters than Romney true? If so, what the hell happened?

Not from what I'm seeing. It looks like white folks (men and women!) All broke for Trump.

If that's the case, than yes, this election was about white supremacy plain and simple.

this election was about white supremacy plain and simple

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Not from what I'm seeing. It looks like white folks (men and women!) All broke for Trump.

If that's the case, than yes, this election was about white supremacy plain and simple.

Trump got over 550,000 Latino votes in Florida - 33% of the Latino vote

Trump's majority in Florida was 119,817.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I find the fact that both Obama and Trump campaigned on platforms promising vast societal change and a glorious tomorrow, while Hilary campaigned on "let's keep doing what we're doing" to be a bit more compelling. I wrote a big post on it in UKMT which is more focused on similar trends in UK politics recently but ultimately this election Trump is the revolutionary change candidate while Hilary is the conservative, and while people should be directing their anger at the rich white fuckers who are loving over everyone in the country, because one rich white fucker grabbed the mic and gave a very impassioned performance about the need for sweeping societal changes to fix why your white arse isn't having a good time right now (and that change involves blaming everyone else except the rich white fuckers in charge) then we get populist white nationalism winning the election.

I think that the fact that quite so many people are willing to go along with, or have internalized the belief that multiculturalism is the problem in this election is because there's a very loud voice saying that, and at the same time saying he's got the solution to all your economic problems too. It doesn't really diminish the problem because either way you've still got a country full of racist fuckheads, I just don't think that alone explains the result, certainly not when it has so many parallels across the world. Moderate leftism is struggling because it hasn't met all of its promises, and people are getting sick of it. But I worry that viewing it more as a moral issue about some people just being irredeemable fuckheads will let the right win more support with its other populist policies, and get even more people buying into the loving lovely racist bullshit along the way. For every one you crush, two more pop up.

As unfair as it is I think the left is going to have to start pushing more radical economic policies if it's going to be able to keep selling its social progressivism. Obama won on the promise of change, and while his presidency did some great changes for America, if America is going to keep them, the dems kinda need to appeal to butthurt white people too, even though they're obviously not the most in need or deserving of help.

Some of them are lovely loving people at heart, some of them are lovely loving people by circumstance, unfortunately all of them have votes and can gently caress over decent people if they use them the wrong way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 9, 2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Yes.

The right convinced minorities that Hillary was the true racist. For instance, black people in my area were constantly sharing memes about Hillary calling black kids superpredators (removing the nuance of the statement), that she is responsible for there being no black fathers due to the prison system AND being responsible for their jobs leaving via NAFTA. Trump's racism is focused on those OTHER people, so...

Not that many voted for him at all, still, but that's part of why some did. A lot of black men feel untouchable just like white males, after all, as well.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I also want to add that I'm seeing a lot people saying "WHY DIDN'T MINORITIES SAVE US FROM OURSELVES"

Which is bullshit, because gently caress you, instead of telling your racist kin to gently caress off at Thanksgiving you just came here and posted "welp that's my family can't sever because that'd make me an rear end in a top hat" or "can't sever because what if I get excluded from *insert racist group here*".

Y'all had 100+ years to tell your kin to gently caress off and you didn't, and this is what your hand wringing about lower class white "economic anxiety" got you

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Koalas March posted:

According to NBC, Trump did better than Romney among blacks and Latin@s by a couple of percent for both groups.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

gently caress, wish I knew, I would have gone to that show.

it was a good show, Lateef the Truth Speaker was there and also one of the dudes from Lifesavas.

Also I didn't realise until I did some reading recently that Gift of Gab nearly died a couple of years back, he had a really serious kidney issue, probably related to the fact that he used to be really loving fat.

Now he looks like he's aged a few years, and had to sit down on a chair at points during the performance as it was clearly taxing him, but the man can still rock the mic.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

narm00 posted:

According to NBC, Trump did better than Romney among blacks and Latin@s by a couple of percent for both groups.

That's crazy!!!

i can't believe white supremacy can affect minority groups.

except, I can, based on anything I've ever posted

it's almost like the gop tried to play black folks, lant@s, and asians against each other (and muslims) and it worked

now tell me how it wasn't about white supremacy again.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 9, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

For real, for loving real. I have never met an interracial queer couple in the entire time I've been out. It's like you can cross one boundary or the other, but not both.

I've know a few, but clubs and bars are still fairly segregated.

I've been in and out on coverage, but wasn't turnout pretty low overall? I got the feeling during the election that a lot of people weren't in support of white nationalism, but were largely indifferent to it. Never got anywhere trying to convince them that was functionally the same thing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Darko posted:

Yes.

The right convinced minorities that Hillary was the true racist. For instance, black people in my area were constantly sharing memes about Hillary calling black kids superpredators (removing the nuance of the statement), that she is responsible for there being no black fathers due to the prison system AND being responsible for their jobs leaving via NAFTA. Trump's racism is focused on those OTHER people, so...

Not that many voted for him at all, still, but that's part of why some did. A lot of black men feel untouchable just like white males, after all, as well.

I get what you're saying, but any such movement is minuscule in comparison to the vast swathes of white people who voted for Trump regardless and/or because of the blatant racism. We can quibble over a few folks who crossed over here and there, but the real message is in the majority of his movement, that we white people just hosed over people of color yet again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

I also want to add that I'm seeing a lot people saying "WHY DIDN'T MINORITIES SAVE US FROM OURSELVES"

Which is bullshit, because gently caress you, instead of telling your racist kin to gently caress off at Thanksgiving you just came here and posted "welp that's my family can't sever because that'd make me an rear end in a top hat" or "can't sever because what if I get excluded from *insert racist group here*".

Y'all had 100+ years to tell your kin to gently caress off and you didn't, and this is what your hand wringing about lower class white "economic anxiety" got you

Okay, I know we're about as rare as I-don't-actually-have-a-good-comparison-for-this-but-pretend-one-is-here, but what about those of us that *have* severed contact with family over this and who *did* vote for Hillary/against Trump (same thing really, gently caress everyone that "protest-voted" for third-party/mickey mouse/whatever)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Koalas March posted:

it's almost like the gop tried to play black folks, lant@s, and asians against each other (and muslims) and it worked

now tell me how it wasn't about white supremacy again.

Are you saying this in terms of design, or in terms of the individual voters?

Because I don't entirely see how a latinx person voting to gently caress over black people is white supremacy? Even if the person contriving to get them to do that is doing so because they're a huge white supremacist.

So by design, yes, individually, I don't follow?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Here's the CNN article. It's not just that he did better with Black and Latino voters, it's that Black and Latino (and young) voters didn't turn out for Hillary the way they did for Obama. I'm not sure the "rust belt is full of lovely white racists" explanation is sufficient. Clinton won only 2% less of the white vote than Obama, but Trump actually got less of the white vote than than Romney, 58% to 59% for Romney. White voters made up 70% of the electorate this year, down from 72% four years ago.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's the post. That message is wildly dated and for some reason has never been changed. The report system - hell, the moderation system as a whole - is a patchwork of barely-functioning code that Radium tacked onto vBulletin and that ZDR has desperately tried to stop from collapsing.

fyi you're only allowed to report like 5 posts per day or something, because for a time I was trying to report every transphobic post I saw and after 4-6 you just get a message saying "you've complained enough today". That means to report every bad post (which is essentially what you're saying we need to do since you can't keep up with threads), we have to PM multiple mods for every single one. That's kinda hosed up.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

OwlFancier posted:

Because I don't entirely see how a latinx person voting to gently caress over black people is white supremacy? Even if the person contriving to get them to do that is doing so because they're a huge white supremacist.

part of white supremacy is divide and conquer
look at the colonization of south/central america or the playing of tribes against each other in africa during the scramble for the obvious examples

my understanding though is that rural white america came out in numbers far and beyond anyone predicted and so we can be flabbergasted all we like about the details, but you can't sidestep the referendum on white men's supremacy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the CNN article. It's not just that he did better with Black and Latino voters, it's that Black and Latino (and young) voters didn't turn out for Hillary the way they did for Obama. I'm not sure the "rust belt is full of lovely racists" explanation is sufficient. Clinton won only 2% less of the white vote than Obama, but Trump actually got less of the white vote than than Romney, 58% to 59% for Romney. White voters made up 70% of the electorate this year, down from 72% four years ago.

My anger is that turnout comparison between Trump and Romney is faulty given their own differences, they're not equivalent candidates. Romney at least did the typical politician thing of caging his racist attitudes and policies in acceptable-to-white-people terms, Trump wore them on his sleeve with pride, and this had an utterly negligible impact on his voters.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Okay, I know we're about as rare as I-don't-actually-have-a-good-comparison-for-this-but-pretend-one-is-here, but what about those of us that *have* severed contact with family over this and who *did* vote for Hillary/against Trump (same thing really, gently caress everyone that "protest-voted" for third-party/mickey mouse/whatever)?

You are fine, no one is talking about you.

OwlFancier posted:

HAHAHAHHAHA. Excuse me while I laugh so hard I become the Joker.

Are you kidding me? like I honestly don't know how to answer because I don't know if you are genuinely asking out of ignorance or trolling. if you are being genuine pm me because I have (very personal experiences) such sights to show you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fyi you're only allowed to report like 5 posts per day or something, because for a time I was trying to report every transphobic post I saw and after 4-6 you just get a message saying "you've complained enough today". That means to report every bad post (which is essentially what you're saying we need to do since you can't keep up with threads), we have to PM multiple mods for every single one. That's kinda hosed up.
7, I believe. Reforming the reporting system has been discussed a lot as part of the rebuilt forums code, and I assume it will be in there, but I don't know any of the details and it's still a long way out. Mods aren't fond of it either, for all of those reasons. The reason there's a limit is basically because there is a reports forum, and every report is a new thread created automatically in that forum. It means allowing a ton of reports would be super abusable. That's why I've always preferred having a poster PM me to be like "heads up, someone's making GBS threads up this thread" or "thread's getting lovely, starting on page XXX." That at least avoids having to report tons of stuff. But it's not a great system. Most forums don't need a ton of reports anyway, but when things go south in D&D they tend to do so quickly and loudly and persistently.

There probably isn't a way to always have quick moderator response, since there's going to be a certain amount of "who's around to handle stuff." And again, that ends up being more important in D&D than other forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Are you kidding me? like I honestly don't know how to answer because I don't know if you are genuinely asking out of ignorance or trolling. if you are being genuine pm me because I have (very personal experiences) such sights to show you.
I will say that, as a white guy, it took me a long time to understand things like internalized racism/misogyny/homophobia, let alone the complexities of race relations between different minorities. When the world is always presented to you as "white" or "minority," it can come as a huge surprise - and it takes a little bit to understand.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

7, I believe. Reforming the reporting system has been discussed a lot as part of the rebuilt forums code, and I assume it will be in there, but I don't know any of the details and it's still a long way out. Mods aren't fond of it either, for all of those reasons. The reason there's a limit is basically because there is a reports forum, and every report is a new thread created automatically in that forum. It means allowing a ton of reports would be super abusable. That's why I've always preferred having a poster PM me to be like "heads up, someone's making GBS threads up this thread" or "thread's getting lovely, starting on page XXX." But it's not a great system. Most forums don't need a ton of reports anyway, but when things go south in D&D they tend to do so quickly and loudly and persistently.

this is actually really interesting, thank you for explaining.

I know I keep harping on transparency, and I don't think yall should have to repeat yourselves 10,000 times but knowing stuff like this is very helpful, especially in the ways I think we should approach changing SA for the better

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

JFairfax posted:

Trump got over 550,000 Latino votes in Florida - 33% of the Latino vote

Trump's majority in Florida was 119,817.

Latinos are not this monolithic group that will always vote one way. When separated by nationalist origin, Cubans tend to vote more conservative than their Latin American friends. There are a lot Older Cubans in Florida who still hold cold war views against their motherland and will vote for the party who feeds those views.

This election has me scared straight. Obamcare helped my Dad survive his heart attack and bypass surgery without going into crippling debt. My mom has MS and has been able to afford the medication she needs to have a relatively normal life. All that will be taken away because white voters really want to believe that their factory jobs will come back because a reality TV show host told them he will get rid of POCs in order to do so. Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to Aggression.

I've been seeing a lot of ads for TEFL jobs overseas yesterday. I'm seeing it as a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

part of white supremacy is divide and conquer
look at the colonization of south/central america or the playing of tribes against each other in africa during the scramble for the obvious examples

my understanding though is that rural white america came out in numbers far and beyond anyone predicted and so we can be flabbergasted all we like about the details, but you can't sidestep the referendum on white men's supremacy

That would be by design, then. I'm not sure I'd call said latinx person a white supremacist though, just a selfish prick.

And yeah rural white people coming out in all their racist force is a thing here too. It's just if the racism was a constant and the only thing that mattered to them you'd think they'd have voted againt Obama more. But Obama (and Trump, perversely) was offering hope for a lot of people with his campaign, while Hillary wasn't, really. Obama had the benefit of actually being right about things though, while the hope Trump offers is rooted in making GBS threads all over half the country.

• Locked thread