Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
500 hp AWD hybrid hatch, sign me the gently caress up! I am seriously tempted, but still no word from Peugeot about date, price and availability in Sweden. It IS confirmed for production, is the only answer I can get so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Game on to the hot hatch wars. That's pretty awesome.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

blk posted:

Ask Bajaha about his Veloster

I had an opportunity to buy a veloster turbo at the beginning of the year, and I passed over it because of his posts

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
They're a decent tuneable car for $18k new. I have 0 issues at 15k miles so far. One of the easiest cars I've ever worked on too. This is coming from a volvo 240 wagon, isuzu trooper, ford ranger 4 banger, s10 blazer 2dr that i did a 5.3L swap later, and a 350z. Insurance is cheap as poo poo too (curse you 350z i still have)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty set on a FiST as my next car. Only thing I'm not sure on is the recaros. Seems like a thing you just should get, but im not sure how much I'll like them from the short test drive I had.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

powderific posted:

I'm pretty set on a FiST as my next car. Only thing I'm not sure on is the recaros. Seems like a thing you just should get, but im not sure how much I'll like them from the short test drive I had.

What do you not like about them?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

powderific posted:

I've read that they take a while to break in. I test drove one with them and I really liked them but the baby seat wouldn't fit in the back with the Recaros up front so I ended up buying a FiST with the regular seats (which no matter what the dealer says are the same seats as the base Fiesta with an ST badge sewn on them). I find the base seats really uncomfortable after about an hour but I'm a skinny guy thats out of shape and I'm nearing 40 so basically sitting anywhere for more than an hour is uncomfortable nowadays so maybe it's not the seats and it's just me.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
One thing to note about the recaros, at least on my FoST is that they do break in, quite a bit. I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" and 280lbs and the recaros were super tight out of the box, now only 2 months later and about 1k miles they are much better. I'm imagining it will keep getting better as it goes.

I tried test driving the FoST and FiST without the recaros and those stock seats were just pure trash, so I really had no option outside of the recaros. Even happier now that they have broken in a bit.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

What do you not like about them?

I guess I don't necessarily dislike them, but they felt way different from any other seats I've ever had and I wasn't sure if I'd hate the tightness after a while. I'm a skinny dude though, at like 5'11" and 155lbs, so if these bigger guys fit in them fine it's probably fine for me too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

powderific posted:

I guess I don't necessarily dislike them, but they felt way different from any other seats I've ever had and I wasn't sure if I'd hate the tightness after a while. I'm a skinny dude though, at like 5'11" and 155lbs, so if these bigger guys fit in them fine it's probably fine for me too.

I think the Recaro's in the RS are a bit different but they loosen up quite a bit with time. I'm 220 and I'm super comfortable in my car, to the point that when I drive a car with non-bolstered seats I feel odd.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How often do accesports go on sale? considering buying one now since it's on sale and comes with a free tune from one of the best ecoboost tuners that i can redeem whenever.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KidDynamite posted:

How often do accesports go on sale? considering buying one now since it's on sale and comes with a free tune from one of the best ecoboost tuners that i can redeem whenever.

Brand?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cobb AccessPort and TUNE+

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

powderific posted:

The recaros take up rear legroom, they don't recline much, and they get in the way when folding the rear seat down. They sit you higher than the stock seats, which makes the top of the rear window block visibility. This also makes your knee hit the dash slightly sooner, so if you've got t-rex arms the wheel is a bit further away. The headrest is angled too far forward so you have to crane your neck a bit to keep your head from bouncing off it. The seat heater is poorly done, it's on-off so you're alternating being too hot and cooling down. They're harder to climb in and out of for a daily driver, and your poor passenger has nothing to grab to help them out. But they make the car for me. Without the recaros it'll never be more than a $14,000 shitbox with a $6,000 engine and stiff suspension. With the recaros it's a genuinely sporty car with a cheap interior.

If you want a shitbox with a big engine and stiff suspension, get the 1L and spend the difference on a cheap set of coilovers and a big turbo kit. Then it's all unrefined wheelspin and hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life as you fling it around like a stupid teenager. Also fun as hell, but a totally different experience.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input y'all. Sounds like the main drawbacks are things that didn't or won't be an issue for me. Also, I only want the hottest possible seat heater setting and never use anything lower so that sounds perfect, ha.

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Nidhg00670000 posted:

500 hp AWD hybrid hatch, sign me the gently caress up! I am seriously tempted, but still no word from Peugeot about date, price and availability in Sweden. It IS confirmed for production, is the only answer I can get so far.

A+ av/post combo.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

oxbrain posted:

If you want a shitbox with a big engine and stiff suspension, get the 1L and spend the difference on a cheap set of coilovers and a big turbo kit. Then it's all unrefined wheelspin and hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life as you fling it around like a stupid teenager. Also fun as hell, but a totally different experience.

Has anyone done this? :getin:

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
While not strictly a hatchback, the Civic Si was officially revealed today. Looks like you'll finally be able to get Android Auto in a civic with a stick. Pricing and teiring remains unknown, though it's using a 1.5L with more power than the prior Si's 205 HP(Presumably based on the current 1.5 in the standard civic). Seems to be available as a coupe and sedan, no word on the hatch.

Wouldn't be terribly surprising if it didn't come as a hatch, since that's only made in a single plant.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
1.5L..ffs so 10% over turbo civic, thanks trump!

220hp and 245 ft lbs?

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 16, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MarsellusWallace posted:

While not strictly a hatchback, the Civic Si was officially revealed today. Looks like you'll finally be able to get Android Auto in a civic with a stick. Pricing and teiring remains unknown, though it's using a 1.5L with more power than the prior Si's 205 HP(Presumably based on the current 1.5 in the standard civic). Seems to be available as a coupe and sedan, no word on the hatch.

Wouldn't be terribly surprising if it didn't come as a hatch, since that's only made in a single plant.

More power wasn't promised. It was promised to be faster, so that could be slightly lower / the same on power and up on torque because of the turbo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If the SI i saw is whats coming, not only does it have no power, but it's not even a hatchback. It's another sedan with the back window added to the trunk.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The new Type R looks kind of like a hatchback...kind of.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Its exactly like the new Cruze "hatch". It's a sedan with a big rear end window that they call a hatch. My R can actually put things in the trunk. Every car maker seems to think that a liftback is the same thing as a hatch.. I want a true hot stationwagon, but we cant have those because of all the fat suv idiots that thing higher is safer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

Its exactly like the new Cruze "hatch". It's a sedan with a big rear end window that they call a hatch. My R can actually put things in the trunk. Every car maker seems to think that a liftback is the same thing as a hatch.. I want a true hot stationwagon, but we cant have those because of all the fat suv idiots that thing higher is safer.

Having actually driven a Cruze hatch, it's fine and can fit things in the back. :confuoot: Your Golf R has 22.8 cubic feet vs. 22.7 of a Cruze.

Just because the rear window isn't totally vertical doesn't mean it doesn't have cargo space.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

There is a true hot wagon out there, nobody buys the E63 wagon though. The V90 has 316hp, not terrible.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I see a decent number of E63 wagons but I live in a pretty affluent area of the country. That's for sure a rich people car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wamsutta posted:

I see a decent number of E63 wagons but I live in a pretty affluent area of the country. That's for sure a rich people car.

The real hot-wagon AMG E63 Wagon is (last I heard anyway) the ~most exclusive~ car that Mercedes makes. Turns out that a $120k hyperwagon is something only a few people appreciate but boy I would just give me one Mercedes I'll make it up to you promise.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

The real hot-wagon AMG E63 Wagon is (last I heard anyway) the ~most exclusive~ car that Mercedes makes. Turns out that a $120k hyperwagon is something only a few people appreciate but boy I would just give me one Mercedes I'll make it up to you promise.

I have seen a couple of those things too. It takes a long time to stop drooling whenever that happens. They're insane cars.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

My fuckin' dream car is what those are. I see an octogenarian driving one around every so often and man. What a showstopper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

Having actually driven a Cruze hatch, it's fine and can fit things in the back. :confuoot: Your Golf R has 22.8 cubic feet vs. 22.7 of a Cruze.

Just because the rear window isn't totally vertical doesn't mean it doesn't have cargo space.

Just curious but how much longer is the cruze than the golf. Cause that brutal slope seems like it would eat a lot more cargo. Also can people sit in the back seat?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Scratch that AMG wagon itch!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Man so choice, although I'm not a fan of that generation of style.
I have to imagine the maintenance being $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious but how much longer is the cruze than the golf. Cause that brutal slope seems like it would eat a lot more cargo. Also can people sit in the back seat?

The Cruze is 175.3 OAL and the Golf is 167.5 OAL so it's quite a bit longer. The wheelbase for the Cruze is 106" and the Golf is 104".

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

I googled dimensions for you once already, I won't again. haha.

edit: doesn't stop others, though. :v:

The back seats are alright but it's a compact car. You can fit 6 footers back there and the slope isn't near as bad as it looks on the outside. I think the Mazda 3 is supposed to be quite a bit worse for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it came down to it, which is the better hot hatch overall, the 2nd gen MS3 or the FoST?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 231 days!)

Rhyno posted:

If it came down to it, which is the better hot hatch overall, the 2nd gen MS3 or the FoST?

This guy owns a FoST, if that helps you with your decision..

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know it's fast as hell but lol at that dashboard. Huge speedo, little tach, equal sized clock.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Everything about the interior and exterior design on Mercedes of that vintage is just awful. They may be cheap these days but there is a definite reason for that

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Rhyno posted:

Haven't driven a ms3, but I just bought a '14 FoST and I like it better than the '14 WRX I used to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

MS3 if you want raw nonsense, FoST if you want a car that is a little more civilized. MS3 has a higher ceiling of power with the stock turbo. Both motors seem to have a high incident rate of LSPI related failures, based on my anecdotal forums and facebook group evidence.