Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I doubt Roe v. Wade will get overturned so much as you'll probably see more & more of the stupid restrictive poo poo like building codes & admitting priveleges(sic) used to whittle the whole thing away.

I'm convinced Trump gives functionally zero fucks about SCOTUS and is just going to turn to Pence or the Republican controlled congress and tell them to figure it out. At which point they will go out of their way to find Scalia 2.0, and as soon as he's confirmed they'll start throwing as much poo poo at the wall as they can and see what sticks. There's no way Roe v. Wade survives such a scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Murgos posted:

There are, according to the last census around 169 million white people of voting age in the US.

That 53 million of them voted for Trump is not even a majority, heck, it's not even 1/3rd of the population.

Blame voter apathy (or blame polls showing Hillary comfortably in the lead as of the afternoon of the 8th) if you want but saying that the 31% of whites that voted for Trump represents all whites and all whites are thus racist, bigoted misogynists is absurd.

~*Staying home and not voting is as good as supporting Trump.*~

This goes for the obama minority voters who stayed home as well, but they are much less troubling of a societal problem due to being fewer in number.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fojar38 posted:

Markets have actually been fine since the shock of the upset wore off. Prison and Drug stocks are way up obviously

Trump has been pushing cross-border pharmaceutical importation, actually, so maybe that second group isn't as smart as they think they are!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If it's consolation, he's probably going to be miserable once he actually has the job.

If you want to feel even worse, know that this is 100% true and he's going to take his feelings out on the entire world around him.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the alternative? If we just write off white people, they're racists, we can't reach them through anything but racism, what's the future for Democrats? Sitting patiently until demographics shift? That's it?

Make angry forum posts.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I sincerely cannot wrap my head around this. Obviously being a white progressive doesn't make you immune to having racist ideas, but the idea of being consciously racist, and of making a decision like this even if you don't articulate it as such, is bizarre to me. I recognize that it happens, and I recognize that racism is a thing, but it's such a weird feeling to be like "I don't even know how I would talk to a white person with these ideas, because I do not understand them."

The white establishment has spent literally centuries coming up with alternate rationalizations for racism so people could be racist without feeling racist.

Murgos posted:

There are, according to the last census around 169 million white people of voting age in the US.

That 53 million of them voted for Trump is not even a majority, heck, it's not even 1/3rd of the population.

Blame voter apathy (or blame polls showing Hillary comfortably in the lead as of the afternoon of the 8th) if you want but saying that the 31% of whites that voted for Trump represents all whites and all whites are thus racist, bigoted misogynists is absurd.

Whites who didn't care enough to show up and vote against racism can't really get a clear pass here. It's like saying you're not racist because you didn't stop to help that white cop beat an innocent black man to death...even though you saw it happen and just kept walking without doing anything about it.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Squashing Machine posted:

I didn't vote for Trump, and I don't spend time fantasizing about extinguishing people. Excusing this kind of poo poo is infantilizing at best and hate at worst.

I didn't say you did vote for Trump, but I think voting for a fascist is unarguably more hateful than the benign statement that a ton of white people not existing would make the world a somewhat better place for many others. He didn't say he actually wants it to happen, you know.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Seriously, how do you people not get that doing nothing = supporting the status quo = supporting white supremacy. This poo poo's been known since the 60s.

The MLK White People Try To Forget posted:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the alternative? If we just write off white people, they're racists, we can't reach them through anything but racism, what's the future for Democrats? Sitting patiently until demographics shift? That's it?

I mean, its pretty much on the "good" white people to spend the next 4 years REALLY forcing the issue on the terrible white people they come across, and not just ignoring them or recounting the tales of their awfulness to black people for brownie points.

Yall should have the verbal boot up the rear end of white people 24/7 for the next 4 years. They shouldn't be able to have a polite discussion about poo poo until they explain why they think being hateful bigots is okay and why they believe white nationalism is okay, and until they rescind those beliefs, that will be the only topic of conversation.

Us minorities can't do that for you. They LIE to us in our faces about how they vote, who they voted for, what they believe.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i never thought that i would fap to the first lady.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FactsAreUseless posted:

I sincerely cannot wrap my head around this. Obviously being a white progressive doesn't make you immune to having racist ideas, but the idea of being consciously racist, and of making a decision like this even if you don't articulate it as such, is bizarre to me. I recognize that it happens, and I recognize that racism is a thing, but it's such a weird feeling to be like "I don't even know how I would talk to a white person with these ideas, because I do not understand them."

Most people don't actually see it that way, though. Even your most overt confederate flag toting skinhead probably doesn't go around think of themselves as "racist." It's not about "gently caress the blacks/latinos/ladies/etc", it's about "reducing crime", or "restoring the community" or "traditional values". Dog whistles exist for a reason.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Seriously, how do you people not get that doing nothing = supporting the status quo = supporting white supremacy. This poo poo's been known since the 60s.

poo poo like the posters here make me agree with Ultron more and more, especially since he said this which p much mirrored MLK:

Thor: If you desire peace than let us keep it.

Ultron: I think you're confusing peace with quiet.

That exchange went over most white folks heads but a lot of the black people I know caught that poo poo.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also there's the bit of me that's like "huh, Trump really did have the biggest and hugest support and totally crushed it by being the best despite all the poo poo saying he couldn't possibly win, so maybe I'm just loving insane and the world actually works that way and all the other ways he says."

He's not. What he does have, however, is decades worth of smear campaigns,media training a base to love men like him while ignoring reality, normal media too gutless to drop its "balance" for truth, government agencies dedicated to killing his competitor's campaign at all costs with bullshit "investigations," Russian propaganda doing everything they can to get a sympathetic idiot in charge, and good old fashioned racist/sexism of butthurt whites smarting from a colored person daring to assume he could do his job without their say so to keep carry him to victory.

It was a perfect storm of bullshit to make the worst candidate take the helm.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

I didn't say you did vote for Trump, but I think voting for a fascist is unarguably more hateful than the benign statement that a ton of white people not existing would make the world a somewhat better place for many others. He didn't say he actually wants it to happen, you know.

I fail to meaningfully distinguish between someone saying "my life would be better if all these people stopped existing" and whether they "want" for it to happen

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

negromancer posted:

Apparently its not, because it affects white people at roughly the same level in their lives.

if a little over half of the white people in America vanished today, yes, that would result in a massive decrease in racism and sexism and I probably wouldn't have to see another confederate flag for the rest of my life.

But please, tell me more about how wishing racists and sexists would disappear makes ME the real hateful one.

it makes me happy to see how much better this forum's become in such a short time since i got probated for saying roughly 65% of white americans should be put in concentration camps

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
*black people go out and vote for Clinton in the primaries*

*black people don't show up at the election*

What did they mean by this?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Trump has been pushing cross-border pharmaceutical importation, actually, so maybe that second group isn't as smart as they think they are!
You realize you just took Donald J Trump, serial liar, at his word. The man who changed his mind about WHO TO HAVE FOR VICE PRESIDENT because the last person to talk to him said no, choose Pence and he was like 'fine, whatever.'

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As someone who is about to be banned, all I have to say is

Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant

Now watch this drive.

you may be able to avoid being banned http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797259

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pretty much. This nation has bigotry rotting out its very core and there's nothing that can be done to save it any more.

We lost. That's it. Good try, everyone, but hatred and evil wins in the end.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't SCOTUS need a (legal) impetus to reopen cases? I mean, I suppose it's possible that if a new justice is confirmed, they can just go, "Whelp, time to visit Roe v. Wade again" but that doesn't sound right to me.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

I fail to meaningfully distinguish between someone saying "my life would be better if all these people stopped existing" and whether they "want" for it to happen

It's okay, maybe you will learn how to. There are people who would without question make my life better by not being around but it doesn't mean I lust for their death, much less would do anything to try to make that happen. Recognizing uncomfortable and gross facts about how lovely society is != hateful.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
So if I'm reading this right, Trump basically got the same support as McCaine/Romney, it was just a massively depressed turnout for Democrats? Did the voter suppression poo poo have an appreciable effect?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

Pretty much. This nation has bigotry rotting out its very core and there's nothing that can be done to save it any more.

We lost. That's it. Good try, everyone, but hatred and evil wins in the end.

Except that Obama won. Twice. So it is possible to overcome that core-rot

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

So if I'm reading this right, Trump basically got the same support as McCaine/Romney, it was just a massively depressed turnout for Democrats? Did the voter suppression poo poo have an appreciable effect?

It did if the voter suppression was called being Hillary Rodham Clinton

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Doesn't SCOTUS need a (legal) impetus to reopen cases? I mean, I suppose it's possible that if a new justice is confirmed, they can just go, "Whelp, time to visit Roe v. Wade again" but that doesn't sound right to me.

I posted it earlier but they would need a relevant case to be appealed to them, accepted, and then a ruling would need to be issued that overrides a previous ruling.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
turn back warren noooooo

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/796440244379848708

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

There are several cases already winding their way through the courts headed to SCOTUS before the election that had been brought back when things looked more favorable to conservatives (before Scalia died). We were gloating about these because 'yay, Supreme Court justices will be picked by Clinton' before the election happened.

Seriously, things are hosed. Hope you all got your selective service cards up to date because you will likely be going to war.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing that I don't see people talking about is that running on a pro-woman platform has failed the Democrats twice. Now and in 2014. Apparently women's rights aren't a big vote-getter

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Unless we can clone Obama and clones don't count for term limits, I don't think that we can. Because now that the white supremacists are emboldened it's only ever going to get worse.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Guy Goodbody posted:

Somewhat, though you can understand the gloom and doom attitude a lot of folks have; a lot of legal protections for people hard-won over several decades are now in very precarious standing, and it all seemed, at the national level, to come out of left field.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

*black people go out and vote for Clinton in the primaries*

*black people don't show up at the election*

What did they mean by this?

They mean voter suppression and disenfranchisement works, and anything other than that is them trying to shift the blame away from racist white people onto the shoulders of minorities, literally no different than their racist white relatives.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's not difficult to drum up a new legal challenge and appeal it all the way up to SCOTUS. Time consuming sure, but not difficult. As a poster mentioned earlier, all it takes is one uppity marriage clerk to refuse to offer a marriage license to a gay couple to spark a legal challenge based on Obergefell v. Hodges

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

One thing that I don't see people talking about is that running on a pro-woman platform has failed the Democrats twice. Now and in 2014. Apparently women's rights aren't a big vote-getter

This election pretty much proved that white women don't give a gently caress about other women.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmfao, that was quick. I know I'm somebody who has spoken a lot about the value of patience and empathy, but seriously. That doesn't mean you have to fold on your principles: the other side certainly wouldn't. It means you listen, and understand, and then you can still firmly say "no" when listening and understanding leads you to the conclusion that they loving suck.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Probably but Hillary shouldn't have done so poorly it was that close.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Goddamn it why is it so hard for Democrats to be obstructive, gently caress trying to set an example, take every opportunity to ratfuck and backstab and gouge out their eyes.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Gimme odds on the House having Trump on a leash with veiled threats of impeachment over Trump U, Trump foundation and rape cases if he stirs up poo poo during his 4 years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yep. Party is dead. Leftism is dead in America. We're all dead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They all will say poo poo like this so that Republicans will have slightly less ammo to poo poo on them with when Democrats try and stop the Make Wages Great Again bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

But we can devote large swathes of time to complaining about the alt-right and berniebros? Do things only exist if you personally think they're important? I think it's perfectly valid to point out these damaging and ultimately useless parts of the discourse.

You're dodging the question. Again, who is framing the issue as whites vs. everyone else? Don't bear that goalpost on your back like a cross.

Posters on SA going "lol loving whitey" are about as relevant to the actual political discourse as goddamn Furries comparing their 'struggle' to the Civil Rights Movement.

• Locked thread