Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And skyward sword shows that the ancestors of the gorons are just... gorons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

greatn posted:

And Phantom Hourglass which stars the same Link has a Goron island with regular rear end Gorons.

The world of Phantom Hourglass might not have even been real though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There's gorons in spirit tracks too

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Gorons: Hyrule's Alligators.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I hope BotW is revealed to take place in a thus-far-totally-unsuspected fifth timeline.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dublish posted:

I hope BotW is revealed to take place in a thus-far-totally-unsuspected fifth timeline.

I hope it officially takes place in a sixth, making nerds lose their drat minds about the undescribed fifth.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Phimosissy posted:

I hope it officially takes place in a sixth, making nerds lose their drat minds about the undescribed fifth.

It's the one where Link married Ruto

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Either would be ideal. IMO the timeline just overly constrains cool story possibilities. Give me Mario universe, or Bioshock. Or Final Fantasy (Tingle is Gilgamesh).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dublish posted:

this is already a theory that's gained a lot of traction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phimosissy posted:

Like the old gag about releasing pigs numbered 1, 2, and 4.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This one is Crisis On Infinite Zeldas and it merges all the timelines into one.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
The Chamber of Time is pretty much the Cosmic Treadmill? seems legit

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the strength of a timeline split is that it lets Nintendo explore wildly different visual and world styles while also retaining some consistency, and giving 'place' to those styles. I think that's good, because it's given rise to three very distinct types of Zelda; the OoT/TP semi-realistic high fantasy, the cartoony Wind Waker timeline, and the strangely barren and quiet overhead games in the downfall timeline. You definitely don't need that framework, but I do feel it helps. Final Fantasy is a good contrast, because while it has led to wildly different styles in games it kind of feels like they aren't organizationally capable of 'going back'. It might be psychological or it might be unrelated, but I think it says something about that timeline structure that its series was the one that gave rise to Link Between Worlds, while Final Fantasy has struggled to do a good game in their old style. There's Bravely Default, sure, but if they had to spin classic FF gameplay off into its own series then it shows how much trouble they have approaching the concept.

The only problem I have with it is that the pre-split part of the timeline really has no place in that outside of timeline wankery itself. It doesn't really have a style that's deliberately distinct from the Twilight Princess fork, and I feel like that's a missed opportunity. Skyward Sword's got sort of a bent of 'ancient mystic technology' with the sword-AIs and at least one of the dungeons, and that's a neat aesthetic that it did well at as well as meshing well with the fancy ruins you see in some other Zelda games, but it doesn't do enough with it in my mind. I just wish the leaned into it further, give that part of the timeline its own identity.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Turn A Zelda

into what?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

codenameFANGIO posted:

So Hyrule Warriors.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005

WilliamAnderson posted:

So Hyrule Warriors.

I mean, it's kind of the 5th timeline, right? Or at least a vortex next to the timeline with an asterisk. I remember it supposedly being canon in its own right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Like the old gag about releasing pigs numbered 1, 2, and 4.

I like that cave in Earthbound with the five moles who are all identical and all describe themselves as the third most powerful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope BotW takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope BotW establishes that the Zelda games and the Monster Hunter games take place on the same world, just different continents.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A dodongo would be an awesome hunt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Breath of the Wild's ending is described as abrupt, and both question-raising and utterly unsurprising when Samus' ship flies overhead and Hyrule explodes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cleretic posted:

Breath of the Wild's ending is described as abrupt, and both question-raising and utterly unsurprising when Samus' ship flies overhead and Hyrule explodes.

Save the Dekus.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The last moblin is in captivity

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Link, I'm giving you permission to use the hookshot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Link, I'm giving you permission to use the hookshot.

I hate you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hate you.

In fairness, link between worlds felt a little like that.

But still. gently caress THAT

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Somewhat, but it wasn't that canned. In my second playthrough of LBW I bought ALL of the items from Ravio in two or so visits because I knew how much I had to save up and what I should get first. It was awesome being such a bad-rear end.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ah, so ours is the timeline Breath of the Wild takes place in.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's also the Goron merchant in Wind Waker. He wears a big ole hat, but there's definitely a Goron under it.
Gorons didn't really change all that much from Skyward Sword times. There's really nowhere else to go from peak evolution.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ah, so ours is the timeline Breath of the Wild takes place in.

Dammit, I came here to make that joke.

Make Hyrule Great Again

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's a Smash Bros mod that recolors Ganondorf so he looks like Trump, replacing all his voice clips with Trump sound bites. I used to think it was funny. :gbsmith:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spergatory posted:

There's a Smash Bros mod that recolors Ganondorf so he looks like Trump, replacing all his voice clips with Trump sound bites. I used to think it was funny. :gbsmith:

Does one of his taunts make him yell "SAD!"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I got an email from Amazon today, and apparently BotW will be out March 31.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Amazon knows the month but not the specific day they just say the last day of the month.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

I got an email from Amazon today, and apparently BotW will be out March 31.

I assume that's the WiiU version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pentyne posted:

I assume that's the WiiU version.

I'll be very surprised if the Switch version doesn't come out on the same day as the system.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Isn't that the end of the fiscal year? Would make sense as a "failsafe we don't actually know when it's coming out if it's even coming out this year" date

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I thought it was generally agreed the Switch would be out in March? Or was that just guesswork due to the BotW release date?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought it was generally agreed the Switch would be out in March? Or was that just guesswork due to the BotW release date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Switch has been confirmed for March 2017. BotW has not been given a date other than just "2017".