Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AlternateNu posted:

I actually just started Re:Zero, myself and am up to episode 5.

Please tell me the twin maids actually become good characters.
Rem in particular in the not-too-distant future from where you are becomes one of the best characters in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nate RFB posted:

Rem in particular in the not-too-distant future from where you are becomes one of the best characters in the show.

I just watched episode 15.

:stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:same:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have almost exclusively kept my anime related shenanigans to video games, but I think I want to finally put in the effort to look outside that platform for enjoyable cartoon adventures. This seems like the best place to ask for help in getting started, so I hope my questions dont come off as dumb or offensive. I dont really know where to even start since I had no idea just how much there was out there and how many genres were covered. I guess Im looking for something that would have comedy (dark or goofy, doesny matter), decent action scenes, and something that is really character driven. I also dont mind being hit in the feels if its a good sad story. Sci-fi and history related stuff is just a bonus. I would even watch anime based on video games if it isnt half bad (though I expect this to be as rare as good movies based on games).

If it helps I even have a small list of things Ive watched and loved! Most of it is from the 80s/90s because Im old. Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. Games wise I mostly enjoy playing the Nippon Ichi games, Neptunia (it handles taking itself not very seriously just the right amount), and the older Final Fantasy games. The Shin Megami Tensei series are by far my favorites, though this is probably a hard one to find anything similar to.

Even if its just pointing me in a general direction I would appreciate any and all help. :shobon:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I have almost exclusively kept my anime related shenanigans to video games, but I think I want to finally put in the effort to look outside that platform for enjoyable cartoon adventures. This seems like the best place to ask for help in getting started, so I hope my questions dont come off as dumb or offensive. I dont really know where to even start since I had no idea just how much there was out there and how many genres were covered. I guess Im looking for something that would have comedy (dark or goofy, doesny matter), decent action scenes, and something that is really character driven. I also dont mind being hit in the feels if its a good sad story. Sci-fi and history related stuff is just a bonus. I would even watch anime based on video games if it isnt half bad (though I expect this to be as rare as good movies based on games).

If it helps I even have a small list of things Ive watched and loved! Most of it is from the 80s/90s because Im old. Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. Games wise I mostly enjoy playing the Nippon Ichi games, Neptunia (it handles taking itself not very seriously just the right amount), and the older Final Fantasy games. The Shin Megami Tensei series are by far my favorites, though this is probably a hard one to find anything similar to.

Even if its just pointing me in a general direction I would appreciate any and all help. :shobon:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is good fantasy adventure, with a good story, great characters, and fun comedy. The opening episodes are a bit rushed for reasons too complicated to get into, but it evens out maybe 10 eps in. Good subbed or dubbed. My go-to recommendation to folks newish to anime looking for action-adventure.

If you're not allergic to robots, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is great hotblooded action with good goofy comedy, great animation, and a scale to its fights that scales ad absurdum. One of my favorites.

Kaiba, another of my faves, has only sparing action, and its comedy is fleeting and dark, but it's a fantastic sci-fi story by my favorite anime director, Masaaki Yuasa, that explores a spacefuture where memories can be saved and transfered, and bodies swapped.

For a confluence of sci-fi and history, it's hard to go wrong with the classic Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the thread title is a reference to the fact that it used to be overrecommended, but I think it fits here!). A reforming monarchy and a corrupting democracy clash in a huge 100+ episode space opera that can be dry at times, but is absolutely fantastic.

For a shorter thing, I recommend Gunbuster and its sequel Diebuster, each a six-episode OVA series. Made nearly two decades apart, they're quite different stylistically and thematically, but they're both beautifully animated and tell a wonderful character-driven story about mankind's fight against alien monsters. Gunbuster has some neat hard sci-fi elements to it that are really rad. Also robots.

Also check out Mushishi for a super chill time in a historical-ish Japan (maybe 19th century? it's vague) where mushi, strange living organisms that can't always be seen, coexist with humans and nature. Our protagonist is a mushishi, and he goes around Japan addressing issues between humans and mushi, restoring balance and smoking his cool cigs.

There's lots more, but I'll leave it at that for now! Enjoy your anime adventures!

e: whatever you watch, talk about it with us! This thread works for things you've been recommended, I know we have a Galactic Heroes thread around here somewhere, and the chat thread is a fine (if quick-moving) place to chat about whatever you're watching/playing!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do I miss anything jumping straight to Brotherhood or is it just an updated version of the original? Also holy crap Galactic Heroes ran for 13 years, I feel kind of dumb for never hearing about it let alone having never watched it.

Any recommendations for movies? Its going to take a while to find and watch some of those since it appears most of them ran for quite a few years so I wouldnt mind breaking it up with something else.

e: Whats the general opinion on Berserk? Its the one my friend keeps pushing me to watch.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 8, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Redline

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Read, don't watch, Berserk in my opinion.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Do I miss anything jumping straight to Brotherhood or is it just an updated version of the original? Also holy crap Galactic Heroes ran for 13 years, I feel kind of dumb for never hearing about it let alone having never watched it.

Any recommendations for movies? Its going to take a while to find and watch some of those since it appears most of them ran for quite a few years so I wouldnt mind breaking it up with something else.

e: Whats the general opinion on Berserk? Its the one my friend keeps pushing me to watch.

Where the first FMA anime went its own way after the first half due to the manga being fairly new at the time, Brotherhood is a much more faithful adaptation. It rushes through in ~10 episodes what the first covered in 25 (thus the weird pacing), but it's its own thing.

For movies, just about anything Ghibli that catches your eye, of course. For lesser-known Ghibli, I'd recommend Porco Rosso, about a pigman flying a seaplane in the interbellum Mediterranean and fighting sky pirates. Tokyo Godfathers is a really neat story about a group of homeless folks on the streets of Tokyo who find a baby. Very funny, and very touching. Really, anything by the late Satoshi Kon is good. Wings of Honneamise is a cool older flick about the fledgling space program of a nation at war. I really adored the attention to detail for the setting and backgrounds. The first two Patlabor movies are great. They're technically sequels to the Patlabor OVAs, but, though those are also well worth watching, they stand on their own well enough. We have a thread for Patlabor that probably sells it better than I could. Note that they and the OVAs are directed by Mamoru Oshii, the director for Ghost in the Shell. For a silly pulp sci-fi romp, check out Dirty Pair: Project Eden, which has the kickingest '80s soundtrack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Wolf Children is a super good movie about a woman raising two werewolf children by herself. It's really heartwarming and also tearjerky at times, and gorgeously animated.

If your mother is still alive, see if she will watch it with you. I showed it to my mother and she remarked how well it dealt with the struggles of a single mom(outside of the supernatural elements which are just allegories for aspects of growing up anyways)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically anything by Mamoru Hosoda is the poo poo, which includes the aforementioned Wolf Children as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast. One could argue he essentially took up the mantle of family friendly/universally entertaining from Ghibli following their exit.

If you'd like something a bit more cerebral/darker, take a gander at Satoshi Kon's output (my favorite is Millennium Actress).

E: The discussion we had with Kuno about 2 pages ago is probably also worth reading, most/all of it would probably apply to you as well.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 8, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Assuming you haven't played the VN (and assuming you don't want to play the VN before watching the show or something), Steins;Gate is a top pick that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned already. Not much in the way of action, but a fantastic sci-fi story with great characters, comedy and drama. It's available on Netflix in a number of regions, Hulu and Funimation in some others, so it's worth checking if it's there if you subscribe to any of those services. And as I say pretty much every time I mention the show, the dub is fantastic, so consider giving the dub a go even if it's not something you usually do.

A more general recommendation would be to perhaps try a few episodes of a sports anime, see if the genre's your thing. The better ones are very character driven and have great action scenes (inasmuch as sports would count as action), and often have a fair bit of comedy to boot. Some relatively recent good ones are Haikyuu (volleyball) and Chihayafuru (karuta) (both are streaming on Crunchyroll). Whilst lacking the comedy you might want, Ping Pong The Animation is also brilliant and only 11 episodes long.

Most of what everyone else has said is great, but I would in particular second recommendations for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Gurren Lagann.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you liked Ghost in the Shell. Assuming you mean the film, you mightn't have seen the TV series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things, so that's probably worth looking at.
EDIT2: One final thing! If you haven't come across it already, this handy anime streaming search engine exists.

smenj fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 8, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Watch Baccano!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm gonna suggest Samurai Champloo under the assumption that you haven't seen it. It has the same director as Cowboy Bebop and has some awesome awesome music. :rip: Nujabes

For movies I'll second Redline which may be the best goddamn looking anime move ever.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
So, Trump is about to crown himself king of the world and I'm feeling a bit numb. My plan is to shut down for the weekend with some good, cathartic animes. Something kind of melodramatic but with a good happy-cry at the end, sort of along the lines of AnoHana except maybe a bit happier. Ideas?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Squinty posted:

So, Trump is about to crown himself king of the world and I'm feeling a bit numb. My plan is to shut down for the weekend with some good, cathartic animes. Something kind of melodramatic but with a good happy-cry at the end, sort of along the lines of AnoHana except maybe a bit happier. Ideas?

Have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

I tried it a long time ago, but found it a bit too abstract to be really engaging personally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Squinty posted:

I tried it a long time ago, but found it a bit too abstract to be really engaging personally.

Coupled with the movie (which isn't strictly the same continuity but picks up thematically and emotionally where the show leaves off) it's the most cathartic anime I know. On the other hand, for me the abstract stuff is a plus.

For something more concrete... Maybe Toradora (romance), or Amagi Brilliant Park (mostly comedy, little bit of romance)? Do you want something in the same genre as Ano Hana or just something with a powerful emotional release and a hard-earned happy ending?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squinty posted:

First thing that came to mind was Key stuff so maybe Angel Beats and if you have the time for it CLANNAD?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Squinty posted:

wixoss, and i wasn't too big on it but you might actually like kiznaiver? they're both by the same writer, both melodramatic and both have a really happy conclusion though wixoss' only comes in season 2. i think wixoss has a much more well-realized cast and more interesting drama and ultimately comes together better as a whole, but kiznaiver has a lot of visual flare and a couple incredibly loving good episodes that have their own very sweet conclusion and it's absolutely worth watching for those two eps alone imo

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Squinty posted:

Not an anime, but watch "It's Such a Beautiful Day". It's available on Netflix.

Anime rec: Your Lie in April

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Natsume's Book of Friends to get through this week, each episode is self contained but there's a lot of happy-cry moments.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Squinty posted:

I dunno, Welcome to the NHK *might* fit the bill. It's also just pretty awesome anyways so I'd give it a go. The ED is also fuckin great, but ymmv

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Squinty posted:

Orange.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AlternateNu posted:

Not an anime, but watch "It's Such a Beautiful Day". It's available on Netflix.

Anime rec: Your Lie in April

Nothing in Your Lie In April is remotely near happy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

lmaolmao

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Squinty posted:

Something kind of melodramatic but with a good happy-cry at the end, sort of along the lines of AnoHana except maybe a bit happier. Ideas?

Kyousougiga is my rec. It might not seem like it fits your description at first glance, but it's only 10 episodes long and it certainly made me feel some feelings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

Kyousougiga is my rec. It might not seem like it fits your description at first glance, but it's only 10 episodes long and it certainly made me feel some feelings.

yes do this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kyousougiga is rad and the only reason i didn't recommend it is cause it's not really anything like an okada thing like you're asking for

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
It's true that the pacing, visual style, and setting of Kyousougiga is wildly different from something like AnoHana, but it does get pretty drat sad in parts and also has some great "happy-cry" moments in the conclusion so I think it fits here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Nothing in Your Lie In April is remotely near happy

We obviously didn't watch the same anime. Just because it is more bitter than sweet doesn't mean there are some nice moments peppered throughout. Especially the Arima/Kaori duet concert.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im trying to keep what Im watching down to 2 shows so its not going to be a big follow up, but I know you guys like being updated on your recommendations so here goes:

- FMA Brotherhood is really good, so thank you for this. The characters so far are really interesting. Also that whole Nina Tucker episode really got to me. :(
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is.. ok? I dont hate it but it doesnt have the same magic the original movie did.

Also watched Redline and that movie is totally my poo poo! So, thank you for all the recommendations. Ill periodically update here if you want, but Im going to stick with anything that has dubs first since I have a real hard time watching things with subs (I know this isnt normal but I find them very distracting).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stand alone complex starts getting super good when togusa becomes the main character.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Watch Baccano!

It has a very good dub

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

By which I mean goofy, but also I mean good

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
SAC really has it's ups and downs. I wish it was more consistently good, but some episodes are just kinda dull.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The gits movie is great but it feels 4 hours long while only being 82 minutes, so the show having slow eps / up and down is true to form.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The movie and SAC are both completely different creatures, the movie being a typically slow Oshii philosophical piece on mankind's place in an increasingly technological world and the TV series being more of a future FBI procedural. They're both very good at what they do though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Very different but both not particularly fast paced. Their bigger set pieces stand out in memory (particularly the movie)but in both versions the action is a much smaller part than we remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main plot of sac isn't even resolved with any big action setpieces